New Orleans Square's Spanish Moss

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Orleans Square's Spanish Moss

Being from the southern US, I'm familiar with Spanish Moss. It needs high humidity to survive. Something Georgia or Florida has a lot of but not California...so what Disney magic was used on the trees near the French Market restaurant? Is it leftover props from POTC/Blue Bayou? Passing glance it looks real and adds to the southern atmosphere of the area. Seems it would be difficult to keep alive in California's climate. Anyone else notice this detail?

I’ve always assumed it was fake, but I could be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by N2dru View Post
      Being from the southern US, I'm familiar with Spanish Moss. It needs high humidity to survive. Something Georgia or Florida has a lot of but not California...so what Disney magic was used on the trees near the French Market restaurant? Is it leftover props from POTC/Blue Bayou? Passing glance it looks real and adds to the southern atmosphere of the area. Seems it would be difficult to keep alive in California's climate. Anyone else notice this detail?
      something new...for me.......
      Very Interesting.....need to check that out......Spanish Moss has beautiful look in the south!
      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I’ll bet it’s the real thing. California has some of the best soil and climate in the country. With the right amount of irrigation pretty much anything can grow here. There was a story recently how some avocado growers have switched to growing coffee and Tanaka Farms in Irvine even has (or had?) a small grove of bananas!

I dont think it’s not that it can’t grow here but that it is not native and so it can grow given someone who is knowledgeable in taking care of the plant.

Comment

Spanish Moss, when dried out, pretty much looks the same. I'm sure the Disney version is not living and is the dried out kind.

You can buy it at pretty much any nursery and some Party stores. I 've used it on occasions when I had a New Orleans themed party.

Comment

I've seen it with lights on many times. It looks like black string. But that's from memory of over 40 years.
            I am old. But still love Disneyland.

Comment

I know it grows on the Central Coast, like in Cambria. It's not particularly humid there, either.

Comment

Maybe the power washing at night is enough to keep it alive? Just a thought
                Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
                http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

Comment

That moss in New Orleans Square on that one tree is actually plastic. They also used it a lot over in DCA in Cars Land for Halloween. Some was low last year and you could touch it. It was amazingly realistic. But definitely a very soft plastic.

Comment

Working...
                  X