Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 51 years ago today - "Tomorrowland: A World On The Move" debuts

Well ... I seem to make this a perennial thing here on Micechat ........ So ....................

On JULY 2nd 1967 ......A half century ago ......... Tomorrowland II debuted to the world:

I've seen so many awesome entrance pictures ... but this one is my favorite. Taken some time during the 1967 summer season ... when it was brand spanking new!

And after all these years later ... one muddled up renovation (1998) ... a few more attractions that have come and gone since 1998 .. with everyone waiting for a much needed major renovation that the company keeps putting off ... This is still the DEFINITIVE version .. even a half century later!

No one can rationally say today's Tomorrowland is equal or better ... We have movement. We have a bright, positive message. No facility is downgraded into something less than it was before (pre 1967). It was colorful with the multi colored Peoplemover trains. I could go on and on .....

but before we get into any of that ...........

Have a click on my topic I did 2 years ago .. which has a great spread on the amazing WORLD ON THE MOVE .................

https://discuss.micechat.com/forum/d...ve-july-2-1967

ENJOY!
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Beautifully designed. So Disney. So California.
    Jim in Merced CA - former cast member at Walt Disney World, Walt Disney Imagineering and Disneyland.

Comment

The Peoplemover

Facebook me!
      Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Comment

What a time to have been alive.

Comment

Happy 52nd Anniversary/Birthday to a land that still looks amazing by 2019 standards!
          MY SIGNATURE:
          Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

Many thanks for this thread and the one you posted in 2016. Great stuff!!!
            "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
            it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
            together with every variety of recreation and fun,
            designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
            - Michael Eisner

Comment

TOMORROWLAND
              That ,I miss and love
              It was a WORLD of itself on the MOVE
              and a
              carefree times of my youth !
              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

What a beautiful site! 1967 was a banner year for the park, truly one of it's peaks. That design looks good even today, and people certainly dressed with more class as well!

Notice the originality and innovation in this picture, and how they were brought to life by the artists, engineers, and designers who were the best in their craft and put passion into their work driven by love for the park and Walt's high standards, and not what Wall Street thought. They knew that if they made it good, people would keep coming.

Comment

"
                  There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow
                  "
                  Have Fade Away
                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by ajburk97 View Post
                    What a time to have been alive.
                    I was, and it was great! Growing up, Tomorrowland was always my favorite place to be in the park.

Comment

Originally posted by AstroJeff View Post

I was, and it was great! Growing up, Tomorrowland was always my favorite place to be in the park.

That ,how I feel about 1967 -TOMORROWLAND -very cheerful upbeat entrance
                      Promenade
                      with
                      Mary Blair created murals , was sign to me ,what have look forward to.......
                      at the time ,it was a World on the MOVE !
                      So glad, I was one to be able to live ,to see it.

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Talk about "Hidden Mickeys" ....
                        Anyone want to find the "hidden Cartman" here in the Adventure Thru Inner Space post-show?

When I originally loaded this pic a few years ago ... I went - WHAT? No digital manipulation at all!
                        Just one funny coincidence. Just the rounded cartoon head, hair, where the eyes and mouth would be .. I went - IT'S CARTMAN!
                        Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 07-04-2019, 08:32 AM.
                        MY SIGNATURE:

Comment

Oh, how well I remember TL67!! It was truly a great place to hang out. ATIS, PM, Carousel of Progress, the rockets waayy up high (where they belong!!!), Flight to the Moon, and the 'speaker phone' booths where we'd call our friends and marvel that we were TALKING & LISTENING AT THE SAME TIME!! And of course, flirting and dancing at Tomorrowland Terrace.

Those were the days!
                          "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

I was 6 years old when TL67 opened and it filled me with awe. When I think Tomorrowland, it's the first image that enters my mind. Lots of color, motion and fun. I remember being wowed by the Peoplemover, the Carousel of Progress and the Progress City model. Everyplace seemed to use a Speedramp instead of stairs. In one land you could travel in strange contraptions; a moving theater, an Atomobile, a spaceship, Rocket Jets and an innovative 360 degree theater. How can you not be nostalgic about the perfection of it all. Even my icon is Tomorrowland.
                            Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

Always love these types of threads. Thanks for sharing so awesome.
                              These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                              My company had a special night at the park
                              WdW trip report with WWoHP
                              NYE 2011 trip report
                              Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                              Leap year 24 hour report
                              New DCA trip report
                              NYE 2012
                              HKDL trip report

Comment

Originally posted by Stormy View Post
                                AT THE SAME TIME!! And of course, flirting and dancing at Tomorrowland Terrace.

Those were the days!
                                "O"YES............
                                Tomorrowland Terrace, great place hang our ,during the Summer !

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by MRaymond View Post
                                  I was 6 years old when TL67 opened and it filled me with awe. When I think Tomorrowland, it's the first image that enters my mind. Lots of color, motion and fun. I remember being wowed by the Peoplemover, the Carousel of Progress and the Progress City model. Everyplace seemed to use a Speedramp instead of stairs. In one land you could travel in strange contraptions; a moving theater, an Atomobile, a spaceship, Rocket Jets and an innovative 360 degree theater. How can you not be nostalgic about the perfection of it all. Even my icon is Tomorrowland.
                                  Lovely pics! What I'd do to be able to see this view in person 😭

Comment

Originally posted by MRaymond View Post
                                    Yes! Lots of colors and motion! Something sorely lacking now.

Comment

I have often said when I was a teenager in the 80's and went to TL at night it felt like I got entry into the coolest place on the planet there was no other place you wanted to be at that moment. It had the rides the food the music the arcade it was a 80's teenager dreamland. To this day I often wish I had a time machine to go back and experience it again.

Comment

Originally posted by HiddenMickey87 View Post

Yes! Lots of colors and motion! Something sorely lacking now.

THE "PEOPLE MOVER and the Sky Ride" for starter's

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Working...
                                        X