Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disneyland in 2D (That's right... not 3D, but 2D)

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disneyland in 2D (That's right... not 3D, but 2D)

After following Datameister's awesome Disneyland in 3D! thread for some time, I decided I wanted to do some DL 3D modeling, too. It was going great, but I ran into a snag that just wasn't looking like it was going to be easily fixed... so I put that project away for an undetermined amount of time.

BUT, I didn't let the idea of it die off. So, one day at work (after we finished our work! ), I decided to pass the time by copying Sleeping Beauty Castle using... wait for it... Microsoft Paint. Yes, you read right. Paint.

After being reluctant to post my progress (for a while now), I decided to just go ahead with it, and share my work with all y'all. Remember, this is a work-in-progress, and (as I'm very quickly discovering) there's a LOT of detail in the castle... moreso than I thought. This project will take some time.

Currently, I'm working on fixing some size/proportion issues with some objects before I continue on with painting more of the castle.

Also, so you know, I'm doing this all off of this picture (that I took):

and I'm eyeballing the whole thing. I'm not using grids or any other method to make this easier. I feel that that's cheating, in a way.

So, with no further ado, I present Sleeping Beauty Castle (in 2D!):

I am also experimenting with different colors for the roofs. I'm not quite happy with them, as is.

P.S. And before you ask (even if you weren't going to), I "kind of" used the title of Datameister's thread for mine. I'm not very good at naming things (anything, really), and I couldn't come up with any other way to say it. Too, because I'll be doing more of Disneyland via this method, so a thread title specific to the caslte only wouldn't've worked, either.
    Last edited by dland_lover; 12-29-2007, 04:45 PM.

Re: Disneyland in 2D (That's right... not 3D, but 2D)

Genius I say!

Comment

With MSPaint, I'm very impressed. Good job, can't wait to see the final.
      Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

Comment

WOW, you used paint! that's what I use all the time for my armchair imagineer projects, everyone else uses photoshop(rrrgg) good job!

Comment

Back when I had a PC, I got pretty good at doing little tricks and stuff with MS Paint, but nothing close to your drawing, wow! Really great job!

Comment

Thanks for the kind remarks!

I've been using MSPaint since I was... 8? I think? I've just fined-tuned my skills over the years.

Originally posted by IndianaRudison! View Post
            Back when I had a PC, I got pretty good at doing little tricks and stuff with MS Paint, but nothing close to your drawing, wow! Really great job!
            I used to have a Windows PC, too, but am very happily living in a Mac world now! I usually work on this at the end of the day at work, when we've cleaned up and are waiting for the OK to leave. When I work on it at home, I still use MSPaint, although via Parallels & XP, rather than use an actual PC. :yuck:

It also helps that I'm extremely anal/OCD about this sort of stuff, so I don't quit (normally) until it's right. Paint is an extremely easy-to-use program that I feel many people underestimate. It's capable of great things, if you have the patience for it.

Comment

I'm honored that my thread would spawn one as cool as this. Nice work! Can't wait to see more.

- Datameister, who'd take Photoshop over MS Paint any day.

Comment

Originally posted by Datameister View Post
                I'm honored that my thread would spawn one as cool as this. Nice work! Can't wait to see more.

- Datameister, who'd take Photoshop over MS Paint any day.
                Well, so would I, but I'm not very good with Photoshop. I can never accomplish what I want with Photoshop... maybe that's because my mind has been hardwired for Paint?

And I was wondering when you'd show up in here!

Comment

Well, so would I, but I'm not very good with Photoshop. I can never accomplish what I want with Photoshop... maybe that's because my mind has been hardwired for Paint?
                  Nothing wrong with that. Free program instead of one that costs hundreds, and you get the results you want. I've tried free trial versions of numerous major 3D programs, and they all seemed less natural than the entirely free Blender I use, so I feel ya.

FYI, though, if you do get into Photoshop and you want to work like you do in Paint, use the Pencil tool and the Paintbucket tool.

Comment

Forget paint or Photoshop, it's about GIMP!

Comment

Forget paint or Photoshop, it's about GIMP!
                      Ah, yes, the worst of both worlds.

Comment

FYI, though, if you do get into Photoshop and you want to work like you do in Paint, use the Pencil tool and the Paintbucket tool.
                        Believe me, I've tried. Many times, in fact.

This may seem hard to comprehend, but I feel that Photoshop doesn't flow as nicely and thoughtlessly as Paint does.

Go figure. :razz: Oh well.

Que sera, sera.

And, in the wise words of my 12th grade Chemestry teacher: "Tempus fugit 'c u m' saggitae, sed drisophilae bananas amant!"

(That's Latin, BTW, for: "Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like bananas!")

rofl (for it's complete and utter lack of relevance, plus it's funny! )
                        Last edited by dland_lover; 11-24-2007, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Believe me, I've tried. Many times, in fact.

This may seem hard to comprehend, but I feel that Photoshop doesn't flow as nicely and thoughtlessly as Paint does.
                          Hmmm. Guess I'd have to see your workflow to "get it."

(That's Latin, BTW, for: "Time flies like an arrow, but fruit-flies like bananas!")
                          I've always seen the quote written as "Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana." More ambiguous. Confused the heck out of me when I was young... )

Comment

Hmmm. Guess I'd have to see your workflow to "get it."

I've always seen the quote written as "Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana." More ambiguous. Confused the heck out of me when I was young... )
                            I usually write it that way, too, but I looked at it and thought it wasn't clear enough. I'm tired, and headed to bed soon. Maybe that's why I didn't go the normal route with it. Whatever.

Night, all.

Comment

--UPDATE--

I've got some changes to show all y'all.

Most noticeably, I changed the colors of all the roofs. It's more towards a shade of blue in some of my other castle pictures, that I like a little better than the previous blue I was using. Also, the tower was a little too wide, so I had to trim it down, as well as the roof section to the right (with the gold spire on it). I changed some of the shading colors, too, so the difference between light and shadow wouldn't be so harsh, as it stuck out too much before, IMO. And I also added a little zig-zag line in the right roof section.

In addition, I shrunk the "cross" shaped holes inside the turrets, as they, too, were too big before.

I am currently working on re-shaping the roof lines of the turrets, as well as the main section in the middle.

Like I said before, I'm mostly doing fine-tuning right now before I get any further into the project.

(EDIT: I just realized I only did one of the "cross" holes in the turrets. Let me fix that right quick! Fixed it!)

Here's the latest for ya:

That's it for now. Stay tuned for more changes, in the near future.
                              Last edited by dland_lover; 02-01-2008, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Sweet! Can't wait to see more.

Comment

So, while "doing some minor tweaks" today, I have discovered that I have to do a lot of rebuilding. Some of it, from scratch. :yuck:

But, I guess it's better that this happen now, before it gets too complicated to change anything.

:yuck: *blech* :yuck:

Time to go back to the grindstone...

Comment

So, while "doing some minor tweaks" today, I have discovered that I have to do a lot of rebuilding. Some of it, from scratch.

But, I guess it's better that this happen now, before it gets too complicated to change anything.

*blech*

Time to go back to the grindstone...
                                    I'm sorry to hear that. I'll take this opportunity, though, to encourage you to NOT avoid methods using grids and such. If you want accuracy, there's really no harm in doing what you gotta to ensure that accuracy is achieved, you know? Believe me, if you keep eyeballing it but you want accuracy, you're going to end up with a lot of those starting-over moments. Happens to me in the 3D world, too. Sometimes it's safe to just wing it, but other times, that becomes the basis for a whole lot of other work, and if the initial assumption is wrong, you're just screwed.

Just my two cents...

Comment

1. Stop using MS Paint. Start using Inkscape. It's free. It will be 100 times more efficient and produce better results in the same style you already have.
                                      2. Why don't you collaborate with Datameister and start making the 2D textures that he can overlay on his 3D surfaces?

Comment

Originally posted by idreamofjeani View Post
                                        1. Stop using MS Paint. Start using Inkscape. It's free. It will be 100 times more efficient and produce better results in the same style you already have.
                                        2. Why don't you collaborate with Datameister and start making the 2D textures that he can overlay on his 3D surfaces?
                                        1. Thanks, but no thanks. MSPaint works fine for me, and this way, I can work on it at work, when we have downtime. Plus, I'm a creature of habit. It's tough for me to start trying to do something in a completely new way, esp. when I already have a tried-and-true method to work with. I tried my hand in 3D modeling using Blender, and while it's a great program... it was just a little too overwhelming to have to think in an entirely new way to accomplish my goal. Does this make sense?

2. I'm not sure that my skills (while fine for the level of detail I'm working with) would be up to par with the quality of his 3D modeling. The 3D world looks WAY better than the .bmp world. (and before recommending a program to me, take #1 into consideration... )

Thanks for the suggestions. But, for now, I shall carry on as I have been.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X