Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disneyland in 2D (That's right... not 3D, but 2D)

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Disneyland in 2D (That's right... not 3D, but 2D)

1. Stop using MS Paint. Start using Inkscape. It's free. It will be 100 times more efficient and produce better results in the same style you already have.
    I'll also add that Inkscape is a vector program, which means its fundamentally different from MS Paint, which uses raster (bitmap) graphics. The style and workflow will inherently be different in Inkscape, though I personally would probably pick Inkscape or Photoshop (which does have vector capabilities) over Paint for a project like this.

Why don't you collaborate with Datameister and start making the 2D textures that he can overlay on his 3D surfaces?
    A very cool idea, but it wouldn't work out so well. dland_lover's project has different goals from any textures that I create. He's trying to create a pixel art sort of look; I'm going for photorealism, or at least moderate convincingness. Both are equally fun and valid approaches, but they don't work when you try to use one within the other. Making one part of a piece of pixel art photorealistic looks crappy, and incorporating pixel art into photorealistic work looks crappy, regardless of the quality of each. (Granted, there are probably exceptions...but this wouldn't be one of them. ) dland_lover, don't denigrate your work by saying it's of lower quality than mine; it's apples and oranges. We're trying to achieve different things, and I happen to like what you're achieving quite a bit.

Anyway, can't wait to see more! This is going to look so cool.

Comment

My son used to do 2-D art for computer games. Very cool what you've done!

Comment

Originally posted by Datameister View Post
        I'll also add that Inkscape is a vector program, which means its fundamentally different from MS Paint, which uses raster (bitmap) graphics. The style and workflow will inherently be different in Inkscape, though I personally would probably pick Inkscape or Photoshop (which does have vector capabilities) over Paint for a project like this.

A very cool idea, but it wouldn't work out so well. dland_lover's project has different goals from any textures that I create. He's trying to create a pixel art sort of look; I'm going for photorealism, or at least moderate convincingness. Both are equally fun and valid approaches, but they don't work when you try to use one within the other. Making one part of a piece of pixel art photorealistic looks crappy, and incorporating pixel art into photorealistic work looks crappy, regardless of the quality of each. (Granted, there are probably exceptions...but this wouldn't be one of them. ) dland_lover, don't denigrate your work by saying it's of lower quality than mine; it's apples and oranges. We're trying to achieve different things, and I happen to like what you're achieving quite a bit.

Anyway, can't wait to see more! This is going to look so cool.
        I don't mind one bit.
        EDIT: Hey, wait a minute... you changed your post!! You're a shifty one, you are. I'm gonna keep my 9 good eyes on you! I just hope you like potatoes! :lol:

Originally posted by I Heart Disneyland View Post
        My son used to do 2-D art for computer games. Very cool what you've done!
        Thank you so much!! It's a difficult project, but definitely fun!

I'm definitely making some noticible changes right now, guys.

Be prepared for the awesomeness that is... Disneyland in 2D!! :lol:

Comment

EDIT: Hey, wait a minute... you changed your post!! You're a shifty one, you are. I'm gonna keep my 9 good eyes on you! I just hope you like potatoes!
          One of the prerogatives of having an Edit button on my posts. And I saw that you'd replied while I was typing, so yes, I modified what I wrote slightly to reflect what you said.

And I eagerly await the "noticeable changes." :evil:

Comment

Oh, you'll notice them, alright!

Just you wait, 'enry 'iggins!

And I'm actually making good progress. It's funny, because the work I'm doing right now looks so hideous when it's blown up at 8x magnification (which is how I spend most of my time working on this). But when I pull out... it look tho purrdy!

Comment

This awesome! I wish I were visually creative.

Guess I have to get to work on "Disneyland on a Musical Staff"
              The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

Comment

I beat you to it. )

Comment

Originally posted by BassBone View Post
                  This awesome! I wish I were visually creative.

I sense humor!! Who dares to be humorous in my thread? There is no fun allowed! It is strictly against the rules- particularly Rule No.46 A, sub section C3, double-sub-division XJ7!!

pfft... yeah right!

I was able to get a lot done, and some of what I did actually looks almost too good. It'll be fine, though. I hope to be able to post another update tomorrow night. Check back, and remember to eat your Wheaties.

Good night.

Comment

Originally posted by Datameister View Post
                    I beat you to it. )
                    ... *mumblegrumble*

Comment

... *mumblegrumble*
                      Absolutely! Hey, all I've got is the first part of Indiana Jones, 3/4 of Space Mountain, a tiny bit of the HISTA preshow...and yeah, I think that's about it. Oh, and part of Star Tours.

I think I'll work on Indy...

Comment

--UPDATE--

Here's the skinny (or the chunky, whichever suits you ): I've tweaked and shrunk some things, shortened and lengthened, I re-did the roof color (again), completely rebuilt the large gold spire, lengthened the stone bits under the main section, made some things curvy... can you find them all?

(Some things I'm not entirely happy with yet, but they're good enough, for now.)
                        Last edited by dland_lover; 12-29-2007, 04:25 PM.

Comment

I am working on a section that, once completed, will make this feel more substantial than it currently does. I'd post my progress on this new section, but I think it will have a much bigger effect if it's complete, rather than 55% done (with a big hole in the middle), as it currently is. I should have this done and up here either tomorrow or Thursday.

Comment

--UPDATE--

As promised, I have a more substantial update than the last. While I did add a few details that overall add to the subtle impression this makes, my last update proved to be, well... underwhelming (I think). This update, however has a very noticeable change from the previous updates. I expanded my work (meaning I actually created/worked on a new section ), and have this new section finished. The gray/stone color you see in the middle there actually is that color (or there abouts). Plus, I added more shadowing to existing sections (nothing major, but you can see the difference, esp. next to the prior update).

Last edited by dland_lover; 12-29-2007, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Nice.

Comment

I've been working on this new section since Monday. It was a little complex, but not too much so. I had been dreading working on the gold/stone "steps" in the middle there, for quite some time. But, you know what? It really wasn't that bad.

Now if only the rest of this thing would go as smoothly. :beg:

Comment

I'm not exactly big on the idea, but if you guys think it's fine, I'll go with it: should I post updates that show a section while it's "under construction", and not just wait 'til it's completely done?

Comment

Feel free to do what you'd like! Under-construction shots can be fun. =)

Comment

-- CONSTRUCTION UPDATE--

Hmm... in that case, feast your eyes on the in-completeness!!

I'm currently working (primarily) on the tower on the left. I've also experimented with the little decorative thingy on the right "zig-zag" roof. You know, the turret-like whatchamacallit.

(What is that thing called, anyways? I'm doing this project without knowing what most of these elements are called.)
                                      Last edited by dland_lover; 12-29-2007, 05:49 PM.

Comment

--UPDATE--

Thanks to downtime at work (nearly 5 hours so far, this week, with more tomorrow :yea, I have almost completed the tower on the left. And, more recently (literally right now) am working on minor tweaks (again). Thankfully, I don't have to do any re-building. This tower I've been working on has proven to be quite the headache, but nothing compared to what I'm going to have to face up to in the near future.

But, until that time arrives, I provide you with an update!

Last edited by dland_lover; 12-29-2007, 04:24 PM. Reason: I wasn't happy with the way the (L) tower came out, so I tweaked, and uploaded a new one with those changes present.

Comment

Hey, any progress with the castle lately?

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X