Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disneyland in 2D (That's right... not 3D, but 2D)

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Disneyland in 2D (That's right... not 3D, but 2D)

I recorded a video, and am working on getting it online for y'all to see.

Comment

I recorded a video, and am working on getting it online for y'all to see.
      Ooh, sweet! Be sure to let us know when it's up--I'm looking forward to watching it. :yea:

Comment

The video is uploading right now, however, it may take a while to finish. Keep checking back for the video.

Comment

Wow, the castle is looking great! It's fun to watch it progress, and i wouldn't have the patientce to do that either, so PROPS to you

Comment

Thank you, all, for your compliments. I can understand where some of you might not have the patience for it, but thankfully for me (and all of you, as a result), I have the uncanny ability to focus and obsess.

Comment

The video is up! One slight warning, though: it is about 17 minutes long. Also, part of the reason it took so long for me to upload this, was because, at a certain point, the audio was taken out-of-sync with the video. I needed to sync it up again (which I did using iMovie), before I could upload it.

*Disclaimer*: I promised, in the video, that I would show you a certain technique, but I forgot completely about that, so I didn't get to it. Sorry! :blush:

Maybe in another video?

Here's the link.

EDIT: Plus, there were a few problems with encoding, so the audio jumps in a couple spots.

Comment

Woo hoo! I'm happy to be the first one to say: great work! I enjoyed the video tutorial, though if it were me, I would have started over after Windows started being stupid. (I actually have done that numerous times, where I'll keep making mistakes or the computer will freeze or whatever, so I just stop recording and start over.) Anyway, thank you very much for posting it. Your process is a little less mystifying now. =D

Comment

Originally posted by Datameister View Post
                  Woo hoo! I'm happy to be the first one to say: great work! I enjoyed the video tutorial, though if it were me, I would have started over after Windows started being stupid. (I actually have done that numerous times, where I'll keep making mistakes or the computer will freeze or whatever, so I just stop recording and start over.) Anyway, thank you very much for posting it. Your process is a little less mystifying now. =D
                  I had started over quite a few times because of me slipping up, so, I just didn't care at that point. I just wanted to get it done. )

Comment

Ah. I know that feeling, too. ) And no, it didn't sound awkward, just so ya know.

Comment

Originally posted by Datameister View Post
                      Ah. I know that feeling, too. ) And no, it didn't sound awkward, just so ya know.
                      Cool. That's good to know.

Comment

I just watched your video and thought it was great also!

The sound is great, your voice style works well, giving good narration and humor where needed! Very nice! I liked for your first video you gave us a "basic start" walk-through, showing us your methods, from the "roof down", so to speak. And it sounds like the one technique you didn't get to, something about a "pic a color" tool technique for fixing overspray in areas (where overspray needs cleanup, obviously!), you may show us in later video - so we have a "cliff hanger" as well. Sweet! Keep 'em comin' back for more.)

Thanks for zooming in (to 8x) for a closer shot of the work in progress. Just about the time you did that I was thinking to myself "zooming in would be nice". For future videos, it would be helpful to zoom in a few more times to see you working (and see the detail) "close-up". Too much zooming in and out, though, can be distracting and annoying, flow wise (I'm sure you already know this though).

The Windows XP "hiccup" wasn't a problem for me. It was actually helpful to see how the software "Parallel ...?" (on your MacBook) recovered when you loaded Windows XP a second time. Your explanation of loading Parallel and the different modes available was helpful too.

(I'm using an IMac Intel machine and would also like to run Windows on it (for, as you say, a few Windows-based programs or those programs only available as "Windows-compatible"). I haven't researched these "emulators" or similar programs - and hadn't heard of "Parallel" before (years ago, people used "Virtual PC" and I don't even know if it's still around), so I'll have to "google" around to check out "Parallel", etc. Any brief comments you have on your experience using "Parallel" would be helpful (you can PM me if you don't want to bore your audience with this "off-topic" information). Of course, Leopard (Mac OS X 10.5) comes with BootCamp, prepping the Mac for Windows XP (separately bootable, not running in "parallel" with OS X, I'm told).

Again, thanks for your efforts putting out your video and I'll keep my mouse-eyes lookin' for your follow-up videos.:thumbup:

-- Hobbs (Brad)
                        Last edited by Hobbs_End; 01-20-2008, 08:43 AM. Reason: typo - "You explanation" changed to "Your explanation"

Comment

Edit: n/m I posted in the wrong spot.

Comment

:lol: NERF!NERF!NERF! :lol:

I just watched your video. Very entertaining.

SO! not only are you using MSPaint against all logic, but you're using it in a virtual machine on top of OSX in a MacBookPro!

I salute you, Sir! Talk about suffering for your art.

I like where you're going with this. It has a high quality pixel-art feel to it, almost cartoony. It's looking great, your attention to detail is paying off.

A tip if it works for you, generally in painting programs if you select an area and then paint within it, it wont affect any area outside the selection. That way you could select the area you want to attack with the spraycan without the need to clean up any overspray.
                            Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
                            DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

Comment

Originally posted by monotonehell View Post
                              A tip if it works for you, generally in painting programs if you select an area and then paint within it, it wont affect any area outside the selection. That way you could select the area you want to attack with the spraycan without the need to clean up any overspray.
                              Really? I didn't know that! Wowee!! That may save me some time. However, I'm not sure if it will in this project, as I'm mostly done with the roofs. But, thanks for the tip!

And who says I'm suffering? :razz:

Comment

And, if anyone wants to see the full-size, uncompressed version, PM me. I'll be more than happy to set you up with a link.

(I guess this also means I need to put it online. :razz

EDIT: Which it looks like it may be about an hour or so, before I have it available online.

DOUBLE EDIT: Sadly, it looks like I can't (at least I don't know how) to share the full-quality version, with the audio-synching problems fixed. I try, but iMovie keeps compressing the movie. If anyone knows how to solve this problem, please PM me. If you don't mind not having the sound synched up, I'm still more than happy to share that, as you have no problem seeing what I'm doing in the video.
                                Last edited by dland_lover; 01-21-2008, 08:50 PM. Reason: See next post

Comment

I've figured out how to do a much higher quality video, although not completely full size. It's quite a bit of a doozy to get ready (an hour just to import the video to iMovie for editing ), but I should hopefully have it up sometime tonight, or tomorrow evening, when I get home from work.
                                  (EDIT: Nevermind (again...). That turned out to be a flop, too. Sorry I've been going back and forth, etc. only to have it backfire on me. I'm new to video editing, too, so I'm sure that isn't helping. I'm giving up on getting that video in better quality. Aargh.
                                  The un-synched audio version is still available, though, if you want it.)

And, I am continuing work on the castle, although, there's not even enough to show in a construction update, yet. I hope to have a new one for you guys soon.
                                  Last edited by dland_lover; 01-21-2008, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Guys,

I do have an update for you, but... it's not on this computer. I keep forgetting to email myself the latest version, and as a result, can't show y'all my progress. I'll try to have it up tomorrow. Granted, I haven't added a lot to the castle, but it definitely alters your perception of it.

Thanks for bearing with me.

Comment

--UPDATE--

Abra-kadabra!

Enjoy!
                                      Last edited by dland_lover; 02-01-2008, 04:48 PM.

Comment

wow that's really beautiful!
                                        "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

Comment

• Re: Disneyland in 2D (That's right... not 3D, but 2D)

I'll second that! Your stonework is altering our perception of the castle. Looking fine, dland_lover.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X