X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why? (Light up drumsticks)

Originally posted by chadb14 View Post
    I as a parrent would not let my kids beat on anything with these, and I wouldn't think that most parents would let their children do that ... but as we have all seen from time to time at DL - there are alot of parents out there who probably shouldn't be parents, or need to take a class or two.

With that said, is it really worth complaining about this - those parents that are going to let their kids do these kinds of things probably are not going to change their minds based on this post.

I would like to site strollers as an example - that situation has not, and probably never will change.
    No, its not worth complaining about. I had just left the resort and needed to vent. Standing in a 30 min line with a kid drumming on the handrails, then moving into the stretching room and having the kid continue to drum on the walls with his parents encouraging him got the best of me.
    "If you build it right, they will come." - Bob Iger

"I'm not a literary person. As far as realism is concerned, you can find dirt anyplace you look for it. I'm one of those optimists. There's always a rainbow." - Walt Disney

"I don't care about critics. Critics take themselves too seriously. They think the only way to be noticed and to be the smart guy is to pick and find fault with things. It's the public I'm making pictures for." - Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by ROBONICS95 View Post
      I understand that these new toys bring in lots of cash for Disney but am I out of line in expecting the parents to help control their child from drumming on the property?

I witnessed one parent purchase the drumsticks at the Magic Shop and tell her child, "Ok, we are going to put those away until we get home." That impressed me and I hope that this is not a rare occurance with guests.
      The light up drumsticks have been around for a while, and are certainly not what I would classify as a new product. I think responsibility here is squarely on the parents, who have clearly failed to control their child.

Comment

Yeah, I've spent too many years at Ren Faire. When I read the title to this thread I'm thinking, "Why would they want to have turkey legs that light up?"
        Quite a visual, I tell ya.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn, Renaissance Woman View Post
          Yeah, I've spent too many years at Ren Faire. When I read the title to this thread I'm thinking, "Why would they want to have turkey legs that light up?"
          Quite a visual, I tell ya.
          Give them 2 years...
          "If you build it right, they will come." - Bob Iger

"I'm not a literary person. As far as realism is concerned, you can find dirt anyplace you look for it. I'm one of those optimists. There's always a rainbow." - Walt Disney

"I don't care about critics. Critics take themselves too seriously. They think the only way to be noticed and to be the smart guy is to pick and find fault with things. It's the public I'm making pictures for." - Walt Disney

Comment

I thought the same thing (re: turkey legs).

And yes, it's not up to Disney to babysit children. Parents are responsible for how their children behave.

Comment

Originally posted by chadb14 View Post
              I as a parrent would not let my kids beat on anything with these, and I wouldn't think that most parents would let their children do that ... but as we have all seen from time to time at DL - there are alot of parents out there who probably shouldn't be parents, or need to take a class or two.
              I think it's going pretty far to say that parents who allow their kids to do certain things, even things that annoy other people, shouldn't be parents. :botox:

Yes, the drumsticks are annoying. But why not save your outrage for people who really shouldn't be parents, the kinds who do dope and beat their kids? If the worst thing a person has ever done as a parent is buy their kid an annoying toy, then that's ahead of the curve, in my opinion.
              Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by sunnygirl View Post
                I think it's going pretty far to say that parents who allow their kids to do certain things, even things that annoy other people, shouldn't be parents. :botox:

Yes, the drumsticks are annoying. But why not save your outrage for people who really shouldn't be parents, the kinds who do dope and beat their kids? If the worst thing a person has ever done as a parent is buy their kid an annoying toy, then that's ahead of the curve, in my opinion.
                I don't see any outrage in the post you quoted. Perhaps you could point out the "outrage" that poster committed that you are accusing them of? Although I agree that people that beat their kids are not qualified parents, I also think that parents that allow their child to disrespect property by beating on it, climbing on it, or just blatenty disrespecting it or those around them are equally guilty of lack of parental skills; in essence not qualified to be parents inunthemselves.

Obviously the only people that would be offended by that statement are guilty of allowing their children to disrespect others or their property.

Comment

Originally posted by Abominable Snowman View Post
                  I know exactly what you're talking about... I BOUGHT A PAIR!!!
                  Ah... you won't be banging them on the walls of the attractions either....
                  Good morning, son
                  In twenty years from now
                  Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                  And I can tell you 'bout today
                  And how I picked you up and everything changed
                  It was pain
                  Sunny days and rain
                  I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pastafarian View Post
                    I don't see any outrage in the post you quoted. Perhaps you could point out the "outrage" that poster committed that you are accusing them of? Although I agree that people that beat their kids are not qualified parents, I also think that parents that allow their child to disrespect property by beating on it, climbing on it, or just blatenty disrespecting it or those around them are equally guilty of lack of parental skills; in essence not qualified to be parents inunthemselves.

Obviously the only people that would be offended by that statement are guilty of allowing their children to disrespect others or their property.
                    My child is respectful of other people and their property. She knows how to behave in both private and public, and this statement still offended me. Your statement offends me. Kids will be kids, period. Unfortunately, that means they will not always behave the way they were taught to by even the best of parents.

You wouldn't catch my kid playing with that kind of stuff in the park or anywhere else, just because she's outgrown toys like that. But, I still find the viewpoint that people who let their kids play with these toys aren't qualified to be parents a mighty judgemental viewpoint.

And P.S. I wasn't using the word outrage to point out an outrage that the poster committed, more to point out the general feeling of outrage that so many people seem to feel over kids banging drumsticks on stuff.
                    Last edited by sunnygirl; 11-18-2007, 02:40 PM.

Comment

MOD NOTE: ENOUGH with the personal attacks. Please return to the topic at hand.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

edited cause I'm done here.

Comment

Originally posted by dsnylndmom View Post
                          MOD NOTE: ENOUGH with the personal attacks. Please return to the topic at hand.
                          Can I just say...

I think SunnyG is phat.
                          What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Tui View Post
                            Can I just say...

I think SunnyG is phat.
                            More of me to love, dearest.

Comment

Originally posted by sunnygirl
                              I disagree. Some people should not have children. As radio host Tom Leykis has said, "many people who shouldn't have kids are having the most kids". I'm not saying everyone who has many kids are bad parents. I have known people with 6 or so kids and still were good parents.

Originally posted by sunnygirl
                              My mother wrote a thesis for her philosophy class and the topic was "better does not necessarily mean good". In other words it could simply mean "less bad" which is still bad. For example, teenagers who get caught with weed and try to reason with their parents, "but at least I'm not doing hard drugs". If parents let their kids beat on things with those drumsticks is "ahead of the curve" then that must be a really bad curve.

On a more positive note: I bought two pairs of those drumsticks, one for my friend's son, and my then-boss, both of whom play drums.
                              When I go to Disneyland, I tune my FRS Radio to channel 2, without a quiet code. They're faster than a cell phone and you can talk to a whole group at a time, and you don't have to get everyone's cell phone number in advance.

Comment

I thought it was about turkey legs too! I was thinking, Oh dear GOD!
                                Light up drumsticks would be fun if I played drums. I'm not happy about everyone drumming on the rest of the world, though. If my theoretical kid picked it out for a toy, it'd be going in the bag until we were home. There's not too many in-park toys. Glow or flashy necklaces, yes (obv. not on rides or shows), balloons, yes if someone was going to not ride in the first place to hold it. Every other kind of souvenir can wait until it's time to leave, eh?
                                "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

Comment

Originally posted by twobluestripes View Post
                                  I thought it was about turkey legs too! I was thinking, Oh dear GOD!
                                  Light up drumsticks would be fun if I played drums. I'm not happy about everyone drumming on the rest of the world, though. If my theoretical kid picked it out for a toy, it'd be going in the bag until we were home. There's not too many in-park toys. Glow or flashy necklaces, yes (obv. not on rides or shows), balloons, yes if someone was going to not ride in the first place to hold it. Every other kind of souvenir can wait until it's time to leave, eh?
                                  I think that you have a good point. Why do kids need to have toys to play with *while* visiting the Parks? Shouldn't the experience itself be enough? It certainly was for me and I've been going since six months. We played silly word games or 'I spy' if we got bored in lines. Which involved actual human interaction and didn't seem to bother those around us. Some of them even ended up joining our games. Those spinning toys exist only to make noise and bright lights. Fine if you want it in your living room, but please don't bring it to mine.

Comment

Originally posted by twobluestripes View Post
                                    If my theoretical kid picked it out for a toy, it'd be going in the bag until we were home.
                                    I'd bet that most of the parents who bought those things so their kids can bang on everything in the park probably threw them in the trash on their way out because they wouldn't want them banging on everything at home... Too annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn, Renaissance Woman View Post
                                      Which involved actual human interaction and didn't seem to bother those around us.
                                      Hu-man in-ter-ac-tion? Is that for the Nintendo DS, or the PSP?
                                      Current hat total: 100 of 100 - completed!

Duckland
                                      : Stroll through downtown Duckburg, making sure to tour Scrooge's Money Bin, then cross the Audubon Bay Bridge to St. Canard. Visit Liquidator's Splash Pool, and don't forget a stop by Bushroot Gardens!

Comment

I don't blame Disney for selling them.. I blame the kids and the parents who let the kids do that crap in the parks.
                                        All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

Comment

I still wonder why they sell those cheap knockoff lightswords when they have the lisencing to sell cheap official Lightsabers that are like 10 bucks more
                                          There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
                                          -Dr. Strange

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X