Announcement

Collapse
See more
See less

Matt's 40th Birthday Disneyland Trip. Club 33, Napa Rose, and Adventureland Suite!!!

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whoever
    replied
    Originally posted by Malcon10t View Post
    Love Matt, but that said, I love almost ALL the servers. Angela is also one of my favs.
    I honestly can't remember anybody before Matt. I probably have the receipts with the server's names from 4 and 5 years ago but I've had him so often the past couple of years, he's the one I really remember.

Originally posted by mickdaddy View Post
    I agree that Nemo's days are short hopefully a major Tomorrowland overhaul is in the works within the next decade. A pirates marathon sounds like a great weekend!
    It's long overdue. I really .like 1967 Tomorrowland and feel it was the pinnacle of TL in any park (Paris being a close second). I almost hope they go with a Retro alternate future Tomorrowland perhaps? I don't know really how to handle it.

Leave a comment:

• mickdaddy
    replied
    I agree that Nemo's days are short hopefully a major Tomorrowland overhaul is in the works within the next decade. A pirates marathon sounds like a great weekend!

Leave a comment:

• Malcon10t
    replied
    Originally posted by whoever View Post

He's such an awesome server and has always treated us ridiculously well and is super attentive.
    Love Matt, but that said, I love almost ALL the servers. Angela is also one of my favs.

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied

It's not prominent but it is in the back ground as Jack walks through town.
    The kids wanted to do a Pirates Marathon this weekend. I'll watch and look for it.

Love the Nemo shots as I am way to claustrophobic to actually ever ride it! Carnation is my favorite place to eat breakfast in the park, especially the outside eating area.
    I suspect Nemo isn't long-term. Eventually, it will just be too costly and the realestate it occupies too valuable to leave as is. That will be a sad day. I honestly loved the ones at WDW better because I LOVE the 1954 20k Nautilus. That movie was pure genius and eye candy. That was our first ever time eating at Carnation. Not sure why we've never done it until now.

This is a picture from the curse of the black pearl scene
    I'll look for it when we re-watch. I can honestly say I just don't remember it. I love the classic scenes worked in.

Leave a comment:

• mickdaddy
    replied
    This is a picture from the curse of the black pearl scene

Leave a comment:

• mickdaddy
    replied
    Love the Nemo shots as I am way to claustrophobic to actually ever ride it! Carnation is my favorite place to eat breakfast in the park, especially the outside eating area.

Leave a comment:

• mickdaddy
    replied

I'm going to have to go back and watch Black Pearl. I remember Gibbs with the pigs and the shot up barrels streaming ale in Dead Man's Chest, but not anybody being dunked.
    It's not prominent but it is in the back ground as Jack walks through town.

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied
    Originally posted by mpabis525 View Post
    Loving how this trip report is progressing.

so glad you had Matt as your server at The Club. He was so fantastic and really makes the night that much more special.
    He's such an awesome server and has always treated us ridiculously well and is super attentive.

there are so many great shots in the last few updates. Your Nemo shots are amazing. I have never had anything hat clear when taking pictures in the lagoon.
    My show-building shots largely didn't turn out sadly. I was having AF issues and I think I had bumped the diopter adjustment out of focus as my manual focus shots didn't turn out either.

Totally agree with Peter Pan and the chief. I think the only way we can get a quality pic of it is with a ride stop at that scene. I will say that the WDW version is longer, slower and less jerky which makes it easier to get pics on the ride.
    I figure I would need ISO6400, F/1.4 and a 1/20th of a second shutter AND manual focus to grab a clean shot.... that's NEVER going to happen unfortunately.

those pirate pics are ridiculously clear and capture the scenes so well.
    Thanks, I love me some Pirates. I was shooting my f/2.8 glass on some of that but even with my f/1.4, the attraction was particularly dark this trip I felt.

Have you seen the new Nikon Mirrorless? If I didn't have a 5-figure investment in glass, I'd be moving over. Light, awesome performance, etc. They have an F-mount adapter, but it's basically teleconverter-size, so the body/lens combo will be kind of long.

https://petapixel.com/2018/08/23/thi...ultimate-lens/
    Last edited by whoever; 08-28-2018, 09:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mpabis525
    replied
    Loving how this trip report is progressing.

so glad you had Matt as your server at The Club. He was so fantastic and really makes the night that much more special.

there are so many great shots in the last few updates. Your Nemo shots are amazing. I have never had anything hat clear when taking pictures in the lagoon.

Totally agree with Peter Pan and the chief. I think the only way we can get a quality pic of it is with a ride stop at that scene. I will say that the WDW version is longer, slower and less jerky which makes it easier to get pics on the ride.

those pirate pics are ridiculously clear and capture the scenes so well.

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied
    Originally posted by sbk1234 View Post
    I have to tell you, Matt, I truly marvel at some of the shots you're able to get. really amazing. Many of your photos have ended up on my desktop.
    Thanks Steve, appreciate the kind words. I just spin this, push that, and point here or there. The expensive equipment does all the hard work. Looking back at my older trip reports, the difference is amazing and I wouldn't say I got better, just my tools did.

Leave a comment:

• sbk1234
    replied
    I have to tell you, Matt, I truly marvel at some of the shots you're able to get. really amazing. Many of your photos have ended up on my desktop.

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied
    A quick trip on Star Tours (none of us were the rebel spy), and it was time to meet Lindsey and Reese at Space for another round!!! We appear to be missing some of our group... Not sure where they went..

Nemo was an ultra-short queue, so we jumped in and went for a trip on the Australian Great Barrier Reef..

Uh Oh... Darla is on the prowl for some clown fish!!!

Yum!!!! Grouper..

More divers... is that Dr. Sherman? Look at the sunken Moai!!! I love me some Polynesian Tiki!!!

Some big ole pearls..

Bruce, be careful!!! Fish are Friends!!

Underwater Volcanoes with Gill, Bloat, and Gurgle.

Upon returning to land, it was time to start heading over to our 10:40 breakfast reservation at Carnation Cafe.

No pics of breakfast, but it was good. I would do again.

Vic wanted to color me..

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied
    If I'm not mistaken isn't this scene in the first movie when Jack first arrives at Tortuga?
    I'm going to have to go back and watch Black Pearl. I remember Gibbs with the pigs and the shot up barrels streaming ale in Dead Man's Chest, but not anybody being dunked.

Leave a comment:

• mickdaddy
    replied
    If I'm not mistaken isn't this scene in the first movie when Jack first arrives at Tortuga?

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied
    Originally posted by Meville View Post
    Coming from the freezing cold, igloo covered lands of Canada I never really appreciated the benefit of a cold/rainy Disney day. That is until we enjoyed an impromptu day trip last spring when our planned "Sunny" Palm Springs weekend was cut short by the same cold snap and showers that would late benefit us with a very quite day at Disneyland.

Sure, I would rather have a warm, sunny day, but once in a while rain is a-ok; especially if the crowds stay clear.
    Our very first trip as a family, it was pouring down rain. Kinda takes me back. We've even done Dapper Day in the rain...While its a little bit of a challenge, it's always interesting to do the parks when its not sunny.

Look at that miniature Katherine....

Leave a comment:

• Meville
    replied
    Coming from the freezing cold, igloo covered lands of Canada I never really appreciated the benefit of a cold/rainy Disney day. That is until we enjoyed an impromptu day trip last spring when our planned "Sunny" Palm Springs weekend was cut short by the same cold snap and showers that would late benefit us with a very quite day at Disneyland.

Sure, I would rather have a warm, sunny day, but once in a while rain is a-ok; especially if the crowds stay clear.

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied
    Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post
    As usual, I'm loving this trip report. Sorry to hear about your camera, but glad you were able to problem-solve!
    I'm still waiting to hear back from Disney on whether they would do anything about it (cover cost of the rental, perhaps). Regardless, I adapted and overcame and had a blast (even if I have to remember that all the time-stamps on the pictures are wrong)

This boat was added when they refurbished the stage for Fantasmic 2.0. A while ago I asked a cast member I know if the boat was operational in any capacity. He told me that it didn't actually float, but was just a house for a projector that shines on the back of the fountains during the show. Apparently the two doors open up and voilĂ . It is some great theming for something that some might consider so minor.
    I've always focused on the west side of the island I guess. Either I'm going senile or I just didn't notice certain things despite loving all that TSI has to offer.

Leave a comment:

• WaltDisney'sAlec
    replied
    As usual, I'm loving this trip report. Sorry to hear about your camera, but glad you were able to problem-solve!

Back safely and even still retaining our heads, it was time to take another trip on a river boat. This time, it was a little larger however. First time on the Twain since the ROA reopened. While we were just getting underway, I thought to myself... I've NEVER noticed this boat on Tom Sawyer's Island. Has it always been there?
    This boat was added when they refurbished the stage for Fantasmic 2.0. A while ago I asked a cast member I know if the boat was operational in any capacity. He told me that it didn't actually float, but was just a house for a projector that shines on the back of the fountains during the show. Apparently the two doors open up and voilĂ . It is some great theming for something that some might consider so minor.

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied
    The next morning found us running a little bit behind schedule after being out till early that morning. We were making our way through Downtown Disney at 8:10 which was not only after the end of EMH, but also after DL opened for general admission... ouch... It was raining though, so crowds were light for a Wednesday.

Peter was down, so we made our way over to Alice instead.

Not bad shot of the White Rabbit.

I don't know that I've ever shot the Dande-LION before.

Seldom get these guys either.

Katherine LOVES the Cheshire cat.

Never get the White Rabbit with the trumpet.

Amy usually looks like this when I get a new prop.. or tiki mug...

Looking back into the show scene of the Tea Party.

Peter was back up, so we headed over. The rain was keeping the crowds down, surprisingly.

If you look at the blocks from just the right angle (a little further into the attraction, but you can see some of that here), they say Disney and Peter Pan!!

Love the projection of Tink and Peter's Shadow.

Good shot of John

There the whole group is on Big Ben... and Tink too.

I wish I could get a better shot of the Indian Village one of these days. It's practically impossible.

Smee in his row boat

One of those mermaids bares a interesting resemblance to someone who lives... Under the Sea...

Utilizing MaxPass to its fullest, we also were able to do a quick Jaunt on the Matterhorn...and grab a future for Space Mountain.

The standby queue was short enough that we decided to wait and go TWICE in a row.

Katherine and Char being surprisingly nice to each other. Katherine wears that hoodie EVERY DAY in the winter. It's probably her single favorite piece of clothing.

Oh Victoria.

For some reason Photopass refuses to link this one. Says invalid Photopass # yet those two numbers up or down work just fine. WEIRD.

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied
    And I don't know why, but I missed these pics... Doh... I don't feel like redoing the 9th installment of day 2, so here they are..

There was a pic of Lindsey at the club!!

And my Scallop which was mysteriously missing.

And the haul for us from the night (Lindsey got a few items as well).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X