Announcement

Collapse
See more
See less

Matt's 40th Birthday Disneyland Trip. Club 33, Napa Rose, and Adventureland Suite!!!

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nico843
    replied
    Your trip recaps are the greatest! I've been waiting for this one since I saw in the DA Facebook group you stayed at the Adventureland suite, keep it coming, it's tiding me over until I get to stay at the DL hotel in a couple weeks

Leave a comment:

• BecksyFreemo
    replied
    I love your Tivan collection pics!
    What happened to your phone and camera!? The suspense is killing me!

Leave a comment:

• mre200200
    replied
    Originally posted by whoever View Post

Thanks Joe! I'm a student of history and I love Disney history. I should moonlight as a park tour guide someday.
    I'd wander the parks with you listening to you spout your knowledge.

Leave a comment:

• mre200200
    replied
    The Restaurant was all but deserted by now and we got to appreciate it in all its glory. I love this as a dining destination. It is hands down the best meal on property food-wise (Even better than C33 surprisingly). I love the big three, (Napa, C33, SH55... sorry Carthay, you don't make the cut) and would dine at each this trip and had a REMARKABLE meal at each.

Napa Rose is also my favorite dining place at the Disneyland Resort. Between the Signature Pizzetta (that savory prosciutto and sweet red flame grapes, mmm) and the truffle Mac and Cheese, plus a slab of beef to go with it. Doesn't get much better.

I have yet to try Steakhouse 55 for dinner, so I don't have the complete picture yet. The breakfast at Steakhouse 55 has been fantastic though, so I really should give it a try.

I regret to say I did NOT ask what this cut what. It has a nice fat cap and the cut was rolled and tied to give it a nice round shape for even cooking and fat rendering. Whatever it was, it looks AMAZING!!!

I've considered doing the Chef counter, but I wonder if it would be wasted on me. I am a much less adventurous eater (beef/pork/chicken, no veggies please). You've dined at Chef's counter a few times now. What are your thoughts?

I have to say, there's just something extremely magical about Disneyland very early or very late when there are little to no people around. Feels like you have the whole park to yourselves.

On the second time we got a car entirely to ourselves!!

Wow. That's really cool you got it all to yourself. I've lucked out on things like Pirates, small world, Gadget's, but never something big like Guardians.

And then this happened....

Getting onto the attraction, both my phone and camera were functional immediately before entering the elevator car. Now.. the screen on my camera was fried, and the screen on my phone was as well. The phone was functional as in I could hear notifications coming in, but the screen was TOAST. Same with the camera, would take pics, but the screen was TOAST. NOT GOOD. What would I do? I had Club 33 reservations for later in the day, the Adventureland Suite and SH55 booked for Friday, and now I was down to just my work iPhone and no DSLR camera. I felt faint as if the ground had been ripped out from under me.

I couldn't believe it when you told me. That's insane.
    ​​​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied
    03/21/2018. Morning started out EARLY. EMH was at 07:00 which meant an early rise and shine especially as Amy and I didn't get back into the room until 11ish the night before. We got everybody up and going after a bit and were cruising through the security checkpoint at 06:32.

It was DARK

We put Katherine to work pushing her sisters. She was rocking that Grand Californian Hoodie she love so much.

Esplanade was pretty empty which we were glad to see.

Trying to pull the family together and get them excited. Victoria wasn't having at first...

Then she started to warm up..

I have to say, there's just something extremely magical about Disneyland very early or very late when there are little to no people around. Feels like you have the whole park to yourselves.

We had done well with our early rising and were the first in line at our particular turnstile.

By 06:55, it was finally starting to lighten up and the kids were starting to actually get some excitement going. (except for surly 11-year old going on 16 Katherine)

Char was getting her groove on.

And instead of Hulk-Smash Victoria we had pleasant Banner-Toria.

Rope drop happened in an instant, and we high-tailed it down Buena Vista Street, hung a left onto Hollywood Blvd, a quick right onto Sunset, and rolled up to Guardians as our first attraction of the day.

These guys were a recent addition to Tivan's collection.

Victoria always makes sure her paw... I mean hand scans.

Most of those look like they would really hurt to get hit with.

Some creepy little guys in Tivan's display cases in his office.

I just loved the narrow Depth of Field on this shot.. and the beetle's little robotic leg.

We ended up riding it twice in a row.

On the second time we got a car entirely to ourselves!!

And then this happened....

Getting onto the attraction, both my phone and camera were functional immediately before entering the elevator car. Now.. the screen on my camera was fried, and the screen on my phone was as well. The phone was functional as in I could hear notifications coming in, but the screen was TOAST. Same with the camera, would take pics, but the screen was TOAST. NOT GOOD. What would I do? I had Club 33 reservations for later in the day, the Adventureland Suite and SH55 booked for Friday, and now I was down to just my work iPhone and no DSLR camera. I felt faint as if the ground had been ripped out from under me.

Leave a comment:

• skoolpsyk
    replied
    Very little participation in this thread. Who wants to see Dessert and then the NEXT 4 Days?????
    We may be quiet but it doesn't mean we're not enjoying the heck out it!!! Happy belated birthday!! (We ate at Napa Rose for my 40th as well, over a decade ago now; yikes!)

Sorry to hear your work is so stressful, but it seems like you're able to able to work hard and play hard to keep a balance that works for you. (I was lucky enough to be able to quit work at 40--but when you don't have kids you get to do things like that!)

Hope to enjoy your threads for many years to come!

Leave a comment:

• DisneyLifer
    replied
    Your report on dinner was terrific. You make it sound enchanting. Yes, Disney can be a wonderful experience. Looking forward to your next installment.

Leave a comment:

• Meville
    replied
    Matt, a continued top notch trip report. Thank you for posting! Really like the details of your dinner at Napa Rose, seems like you guys had an incredible time.

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied
    Originally posted by DisneyLifer View Post
    I enjoy reading your trip reports and seeing all of the pictures. I don't always comment. I took my daughter to Napa Rose when she graduated from college. We sat at the chef's table.

When they found out she majored in Hospitality Management and was a sommelier, they served us extra dishes throughout the night. I had the pre fixe menu. My daughter kept changing the wines! Thank you for posting. I know it's a lot of work for you.
    That's so cool they recognized a true culinary fan and changed things up and gave you choice on the wines with an expert by your side. I love when Disney works its magic.

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied
    The Restaurant was all but deserted by now and we got to appreciate it in all its glory. I love this as a dining destination. It is hands down the best meal on property food-wise (Even better than C33 surprisingly). I love the big three, (Napa, C33, SH55... sorry Carthay, you don't make the cut) and would dine at each this trip and had a REMARKABLE meal at each.

For some more deserted shots/history/fun facts about Napa Rose, see my "Art of the Craft" tour TR in my sig.

Or just click here:
    https://discuss.micechat.com/forum/d...ifornian-hotel

It’s got some great pics and info.

All the chefs taking care of end-of-shift duties.

I even got a birthday button!!

Amy got some after-dinner coffee... can't recall if I had any.

That's some pretty epic side-eye

And our little treats to go (would give them to the kids for treats).

Napa was done with us... we didn't have to go home, but we couldn't stay there.

Finally, we paid the check ($420 after tip for anybody interested in what Chef's counter plus wine pairings costs for a couple..... OUCH!!! But what a meal… maybe the best meal of my life) and started to make our way back to the hotel... but not before we snagged the roses to go!)

I just LOVE the Grand late at night or early in the morning. It's my favorite of any Disney hotel I've ever been in and really feels like home.

We made the roses a home on our bathroom counter. They would last till we moved rooms to the Adventureland suite on Friday morning.

Last edited by whoever; 08-15-2018, 02:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied

We took a little pause after the main course. It was quite a bit to take in and we were still savoring it even after it was eaten. We had accumulated some excess wine glasses as well which needed drinking. When we were finally ready, we signaled and our two desserts. We were promptly presented with two delicious dishes..

Amy would get a Creamy Chocolate Donut Cake with Caramelized Bananas and a Lemon Reduction garnished with a Lemon peel. Hers was paired with a Madeira. I must say we appreciate Madeiras and Marsalas and cook with them often but seldom drink them. I must admit a Madeira might have not been the best accompaniment for that dish. I honestly would have gone a tawny port instead.

I would have a round of Pistachio-Crusted French Toast over Syruped Strawberries and topped with Strawberry Sorbet with dehydrated slices of Strawberry on top. They even piped on Happy Birthday in Chocolate.. Mine was paired with a Sauternes of unknown origin or vintner. I must say both Amy and I really like Sauternes for celebratory dessert wines. They have an oily, almost kerosene-like mouth-feel finish (for those who have ever felt kerosene which is a dying breed in this day and age, you'll know what I'm talking about). It was sweet, decadent greatness...

While we were working on dessert, Rodney offered to take a few pics for us. These situations and pictures of me don't happen very often.

A pic like this has not ever been posted online, and doesn't even exist outside of our wedding photos. You are in select company to even be seeing these..

Yeah, we had a laugh after. We don't really do PDAs.

The face Amy makes when Rodney tells us they'll be closing soon.

Kitchen is done!!

So I noticed this. A stack of well-separated copper pans and bunch of high-end cooking oils... Sutton's private stash? We may never know.

Pastry Chef's night is never done...

Leave a comment:

• DisneyLifer
    replied
    I enjoy reading your trip reports and seeing all of the pictures. I don't always comment. I took my daughter to Napa Rose when she graduated from college. We sat at the chef's table.

When they found out she majored in Hospitality Management and was a sommelier, they served us extra dishes throughout the night. I had the pre fixe menu. My daughter kept changing the wines! Thank you for posting. I know it's a lot of work for you.

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied
    Originally posted by mpabis525 View Post
    Keep it coming. Interesting to see a new perspective, the fine dining. Glad you can make time for it as I couldn't pull myself away from everything else to even think of doing it.
    I was self-conscious and didn't use the DSLR for most of the food shooting until I warmed up. I always feel weird doing food pics with that big ole thing so I typically just use the iPhone. Quality just isn't there with those little sensors though.

I was surprised to read that you haven't shot on Buzz Lightyear before. It is a fun, yet tricky dark ride to shoot. I have found that a wide angle works best on there.
    I should shoot it with the 24/1.4 or try my 12-24/2.8 for an ULTRA wide shot.

Leave a comment:

• mpabis525
    replied
    Keep it coming. Interesting to see a new perspective, the fine dining. Glad you can make time for it as I couldn't pull myself away from everything else to even think of doing it.

I was surprised to read that you haven't shot on Buzz Lightyear before. It is a fun, yet tricky dark ride to shoot. I have found that a wide angle works best on there.

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied
    Originally posted by BecksyFreemo View Post

I love the updates!! I only get to log on every few days though so I've just caught up! More Pics! More Pics!!

Originally posted by Malcon10t View Post
    Following along!

​​​​​​​
    Originally posted by mickdaddy View Post
    Keep it coming love your pictures and details of the trip
    Good to hear. While I love doing these TRs, they are a lot of work (why I'm always late with them). I'm so happy when they are done and I can re-read again and again to relive my trip, but don't want to bore people if there's no interest.

Leave a comment:

• mickdaddy
    replied
    Keep it coming love your pictures and details of the trip

Leave a comment:

• Malcon10t
    replied
    Very little participation in this thread. Who wants to see Dessert and then the NEXT 4 Days?????
    Following along!

Leave a comment:

• BecksyFreemo
    replied
    I love the updates!! I only get to log on every few days though so I've just caught up! More Pics! More Pics!!

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied
    Our main courses were to be presented shortly, however while we waited, some fun action was happening in the kitchen..

Al little flambé action going on.

I regret to say I did NOT ask what this cut what. It has a nice fat cap and the cut was rolled and tied to give it a nice round shape for even cooking and fat rendering. Whatever it was, it looks AMAZING!!!

Finally, our Main courses had arrived. Amy was to have a grilled Prime-grade New York strip from Creekstone Farms served over Fava Beans, Onion Fondue, and a Mustard Crème and paired with a Bone Marrow Fritter. The steak perfectly cooked medium rare as every steak should be was tender, and flavorful as only a strip cut can be. A lot of beef flavor present compared to the fatty lusciousness of a Ribeye that is. The Onion Fondue paired well with the beef as onions tend to do and the Mustard Crème supplied a bit of a kick if so desired. The Bone Marrow Fritter I personally felt was a little bit of a let-down. We are huge bone marrow fans and was expecting something a little more unctuous. It was light and tasted of essence of beef, but when you say BONE MARROW Fritter, I expect more bone marrow. Just my personal opinion. Amy liked it, and there was very little for me to sample. As far as drinks go....I can't recall what either of us had. Red and delicious I would assume...

I was to have Roasted Duck with Pheasant Sausage over Baby Carrots, Peas, and Green Garbanzo Hummus. I had been watching serving after serving of duck come out of the kitchen that evening longing to have it as one of my courses and here I was with it. The Duck, perfect. I am a huge Goose and Duck fan. The meat has a hint of gaminess, is pretty much all dark and fatty, and the fat layer and skin crispiness when cooked properly makes it to DIE FOR. I may have discarded my utensils at the end and went caveman on it. OOOPS. The Pheasant sausage was only just OK. I expected more out of it honestly, and while I knew it was the dark meat of a avian, it could have well just have been spiced chicken thigh. That didn't do it for me. The root veggies accompanied roasted poultry perfectly as they always do and the bean puree and peas did as well. All in all, a VERY well executed dish. Favorite part... the skin as always. YUM!!!

This is the face that Amy makes when she realizes we are 80% of the way through our meal at such a fine restaurant.. I echo that sentiment.

Hidden grin for when the wine kicks in.

This was my FB selfie of the night. It looks it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X