Announcement

Collapse
See more
See less

Matt's 40th Birthday Disneyland Trip. Club 33, Napa Rose, and Adventureland Suite!!!

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whoever
    replied
    Originally posted by Professor_Cookie View Post
    Awesome, but it hurts. This Matt just decided to cancel his 40th birthday trip to Disneyland.
    That pains me. Can we talk you out of it???

Leave a comment:

• Professor_Cookie
    replied
    Awesome, but it hurts. This Matt just decided to cancel his 40th birthday trip to Disneyland.

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied

Our second courses arrived not too much later. Amy would have Asparagus and Wild Mushrooms paired with a Burgundy. Perhaps not the most memorable of dishes, the green garbanzo hummus was a bright compliment to the meatiness of the mushroom and the asparagus was perfectly cooked. The cashews provided a nice crunch factor. A well-balanced dish, even if it wasn't a show-stopper.

I had Tempura-fried Lobster with spicy fillet, Asian Greens, and Coconut-Lime Vinaigrette paired with a Chianti Classico by Nozzole. This is essentially the Smiling Tiger Salad. It's amazing regardless of being not entirely original. That wonderful tempura-coated lobster is crispy and sweet. The Vinaigrette providing some acid which helps to temper the slightly bitter greens with the crunch of sliced jicama. Lying in wait for you underneath the salad, a delightfully tender and flavorful cut of well-spiced beef. It's an amazing dish I would order off the menu at any time.

For our third course, we had some even more amazing treats headed our way. Amy was presented with Veal Sweetbreads over Lobster Orecchiette paired with a Cabernet Sauvignon by Faust. This dish is the very reason we go in with an open mind and a willingness to enjoy whatever is placed in front of us. Never would Amy have chosen sweetbreads off a menu, but they were delicious. Add in a delicate lobster sauce and this dish was a win. I being a fan of sweetbreads thoroughly enjoyed the single spoonful I was offered... yum! The creamy and savoriness of the dish was astounding. I wish it was on the menu.

I was presented with what I have to say may just have been the best single dish I've ever eaten...King Crab over Uni and Mushroom Risotto topped with Black Truffle. Talk about SAVORY and SWEET and DELICOUSNESS..... The King Crab was massive, tender, and sweet while possessing a substantial meatiness to the leg portion. The Uni Risotto had a briny creaminess which was simply amazing and the wild Mushrooms and shaved Black Truffle just set it off with an amazing OOMPH and some earthiness which complimented the dish and surprisingly didn't overwhelm. I cannot remember what it was paired with other than it was Red, and Italian... Maybe... I was simply in too much ecstasy to compose myself to jot it down.

Between each course it was fun to just observe the operations of the kitchen.

Amy enjoying that delicious Faust Cab..

Much debate was had over this pan. At first I thought it bacon. Then maybe dried fruit. We neglected to ask and may never know...

I spy some duck... I'm hoping said dish finds me later in the dining experience..

Admiring the rose motifs which make their way into every part of the decorating of the restaurant. The flower arraignment, the ceiling sconces, the inlay in the mosaic tile, everything.

Such a beautiful and elegant place to have a meal..

Amy was having a great time.

Who wouldn't be after that much wine?

Life hadn't been particularly great for me for a long time. This was a night I truly felt happy and the weight of the world lifted. It might have been the wine, it might have been the food, it might have been the company, but I was truly happy for once.

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied
    Originally posted by sbk1234 View Post
    I agree about them shortening the river. However, if they had to do it, they did it first rate. If they slow the boats down so the ride will be the same length as before, most of the sting will be taken out.
    Yeah, they worked well with the parameters afforded them. I just wish TDA had not pushed those parameters on them.

Leave a comment:

• sbk1234
    replied
    Originally posted by whoever View Post

The three baby Brontosaurus are named Huey, Dewey and Louie.

That's the same names as the robots in the movie Silent Running.

Leave a comment:

• sbk1234
    replied
    I agree about them shortening the river. However, if they had to do it, they did it first rate. If they slow the boats down so the ride will be the same length as before, most of the sting will be taken out.

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied
    Originally posted by mre200200 View Post

Interesting. I didn't know there was that relation between the Disneyland Haunted Mansion and the Tokyo Tower of Terror (which is fantastic by the way).
    The imagineers wove the two backstories together when they did the attic update in 2006 because.... DISNEY!! You don't find that in any other amusement park franchise. It is uniquely Disney through and through.

I always learn something new reading your reports. I suppose I need to watch more of those classic Wonderful World of Disney videos to brush up on things.
    Thanks Joe! I'm a student of history and I love Disney history. I should moonlight as a park tour guide someday.

Leave a comment:

• mre200200
    replied
    Her husbands were:

Ambrose Harper: The naive but good intentioned son of successful farmers (married in 1869)
    Frank Banks An eastern banker and community pillar (married in 1872)
    The Marquis de Doome A foreign diplomat with a military past (married in 1874)
    Reginald Caine A celebrated railroad baron, gambler and world renowned gourmand (married in 1875)
    George Hightower A relative of the wealthy hotel owner/explorer Harrison Hightower III (married in 1877)
    Interesting. I didn't know there was that relation between the Disneyland Haunted Mansion and the Tokyo Tower of Terror (which is fantastic by the way).

I always learn something new reading your reports. I suppose I need to watch more of those classic Wonderful World of Disney videos to brush up on things.

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied
    After a quick trip back to the Hotel, Amy and I commenced to changing. Amy had grabbed pretzels (Wetzel's of course) when she had taken Vic back while I had the older two on the Matterhorn. Lindsey and Reese showed up not too much later for a night of Disney movies and fun in the room while Amy and I were headed out to Napa Rose. It was to be our first Chef's Counter since October, 2014 which Lindsey had accompanied us to (check that Trip Report out in my signature... it's pretty EPIC). We have been to Napa a few times since then, once on our 2015 10-day trip (Trip Report YET to be published... soon though), but that was regular table service, and once with Katherine on her 10th Birthday solo trip in 2016, but that was just the lounge.

Excited, we left the hotel and started a leisurely stroll through Downtown Disney to the Grand, hanging a right at Sephora. We were HOME... We arrived at 7:58 for my 8:00 reservation.

I had to snap a pic of the ceiling. I hadn't been in Napa since Katherine's Birthday trip and even though I had taken quite a bit of pics on the Art of the Craft tour (check that Trip Report out too!!), I had failed to notice how much I love the design elements of this place. These to me at least look like garlic scapes or onion buds.

We were promptly seated at the right of the two Chef's Counters (the third being around the side at the dessert station). This was the same seating we had back in 2014, and what I think is the perfect of the bunch. Chef Francisco Origel came by and introduced himself and said he'd be cooking for us tonight. So jazzed.

Our Chef of the evening:

We each started with a drink before we even got to discussing how we'd be dining. Amy went with a Brut Rose from Domaine Chandon.

I had the En Route Pinot Noir by Far Niente.

Our Server Rodney came by and got us started. We were both going with the Chef's choice. We of course had some of the varied artisanal breads with their delicious butter while we waited..

The chef came around and asked about our preferences, allergies, and general dislikes. Satisfied he had two culinary-adventurous customers, he proceeded to start crafting our menu. Shortly after, our Amuse Bouche was a Golden beet Espuma with goat cheese. I feel like I had this recently at Club 33 as well. Not a real fan.

Right as the first course came out, we realized we had neglected to order the wine pairings with the meal. Time to play catch-up.

First course for Amy was Striped Bass topped with Capers, over Potatoes and Flame Grapes with a Meyer Lemon sauce. Her wine pairing was the Gustave Lorentz Gewürztraminer. I had a bite and while I don't like grapes in my dishes (Looking at you Carthay Circle when you tried to convince me that grapes was a reasonable accompaniment to a steak), this worked well over-all. The fish flakey and perfectly cooked. The capers providing the salty brine to accompany the fish, the grapes a hint of sweetness paired with the Meyer Lemon Sauce bringing a level of velvetiness to the starch of the potato. YUM. The Gewurztraminer was a sweet contrast to the acid and salt of the dish.

Mine would be Some lightly seared Yellow tail with Ruby grapefruit, lobster, avocado, cucumber, and basil. My wine pairing was the Pewsey Vale, Riesling. This dish had a lot of sweetness to it. The fish was delicious, the lobster sweet and briny, the avocado luxuriously fatty, the cucumber, crunchy and crisp, and the basil supplied a nice herbaceous bite. The grapefruit brought it all together with some acid, some bitterness, and that citrus brightness that you can't find anywhere else. All paired with a sweet Riesling. I've never had grapefruit, avocado, and lobster together... but I LOVE IT. This might make it into my own kitchen as a test experience.

Both dishes were AMAZING!!!

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied
    Originally posted by sbk1234 View Post
    Matt, I'm loving all the photos. I really think that the changes to the railroad along the river are first rate. No real complaints here. Of course, you capture it all brilliantly.
    I love the rock-work, the trestles, the waterfalls... what I don't love is they lopped a third of the ROA off...It's done... They did the best they could given the requirements, I'm just sad we lost that much wilderness in downtown Anaheim!!

Well be sure to keep in touch as your next visit approaches. Even though I can't get in to the park, I'd love a meet up somewhere on Downtown Disney. trader Sam's, anyone?
    Absolutely. I'll reach out on FB as the time approaches. Plenty of time to plan.

Leave a comment:

• sbk1234
    replied
    Matt, I'm loving all the photos. I really think that the changes to the railroad along the river are first rate. No real complaints here. Of course, you capture it all brilliantly.

Well be sure to keep in touch as your next visit approaches. Even though I can't get in to the park, I'd love a meet up somewhere on Downtown Disney. trader Sam's, anyone?

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied
    Originally posted by Mastersarge View Post
    I love the details! I’m totally the one who hangs out to admire architecture when everyone is racing on for another ride. Thanks for posting this. I feel like I get to visit the park with you guys.
    Appreciate the kids words. I'm the same, always trying to point out neat stuff. Disneyland is so much more than just the attractions to me. I could just wander around the park never even getting on an attraction just soaking it all in. LOVE IT.

Leave a comment:

• Mastersarge
    replied
    I love the details! I’m totally the one who hangs out to admire architecture when everyone is racing on for another ride. Thanks for posting this. I feel like I get to visit the park with you guys.

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied
    Time to check out the updated dioramas. Depicted from its south rim, the canyon is revealed on a canvas that is 306 feet long and 34 feet high, making this backdrop one of the world’s longest dioramas. Another remarkable aspect of this canvas: it’s seamless and handwoven.

This replica of the Grand Canyon required 300 gallons of paint to capture its natural marvels, including a snowfall, a storm, a sunset and a rainbow. The scene is based upon Walt Disney’s Academy Award-winning live-action short subject of 1958, “Grand Canyon.”

The canyon ridges are filled with all kinds of critters, including deer, mountain lions, skunks and wild turkeys. The mood is set by the click-clack of train wheels, accentuated by music from the “On The Trail” section of American composer Ferde Grofe’s Grand Canyon Suite. One thing I've never noticed before is that the ceiling above the train is done in the fashion of an old covered bridge. THAT is attention to detail.

The latest refurb had projection added. Now birds swirl on the canyon thermals.

Deer

Some porcupines

A mountain Lion stalking some bunnies

Wild Turkey.

Next you are thrust into Primeval world. The covered bridge morphs into a cavern.

Having appeared at the New York World’s Fair two years earlier, the prehistoric creatures, brought to life through Audio-Animatronics technology, debuted at Disneyland park on July 1, 1966.

The pterodactyls... there was some more projection added here with flocks of them flying in the background.

Attention to detail is amazing. You can even see the veins in the wing skin.

Freshly hatched Triceratops.

Boy am I thirsty.

More projection on this one with the volcano in the background erupting something fierce!!!

And then it was over, we excited the tunnel and were thrust back into early 20th century Main Street... USA.

A quick consultation of the watch, and it was now 6:40. Time for ONE LAST ATTRACTION...

We made our way up Main Street and over to the icy peaks of the Matterhorn.

I've written about the Wells Expedition in previous trip reports. Just use the search to read the story and the significance.

Getting a good shot of Harold is always hard. It's dark the sleds are moving fast, Autofocus won't work in said conditions without AF-illumination turned on and even then, it probably couldn't react fast enough. This one isn't bad, but far from great.

LOVE the attention to detail you'll only get a glimpse of as you hurtle by hanging on for dear life (and dear spine)

I have never gotten a shot of Harold down on the lower part of the mountain even remotely close to this one. Luck? Skill? Who knows, but I like it!!!

And SPLASH DOWN!!!

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied
    By now, it was 5:30 and we only had a few attractions left for the day before we would have to be heading back to the Hotel to get ready for dinner. A quick tally of votes, and we decided to take the Grand Circle on the Disneyland Railroad.

I never noticed the placard had braille on it. Interesting.

If anybody ever asks you to find a four-leaf clover in Disneyland (not the soon to be removed one from Bug's Land), here it is...

The kids repurposed the AT-AT popcorn bucket for something else so Amy got to hold the popcorn.

Lindsey has her's down... That strap sure was handy.

Disney, if you are listening, I would pay GOOD MONEY to get to pump my way around the park on this for an EMH timeframe. It was made in Kalamazoo, a city in my home-state of MI. The Kalamazoo Railroad Velocipede and Car Company was founded in 1883 by George Miller and Horace Haines in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Before the 1940’s the company primarily built railroad handcars, velocipedes, and motorized railroad maintenance vehicles. At the onset of World War II, Kalamazoo diversified into building motorized rubber tired factory vehicles. In 1968 the company sold off its railroad business to Tamper and continued producing motorized factory vehicles until it closed in the 1990’s.

The girls had repurposed the popcorn bucket to a frozen treat bucket.

Love the Disneyland Rail Road.

Even the backstage area is themed where guests catch a glimpse into it.

Ah... Le Salon Noveau... How I wish I could visit again. It was such a fun time my one and only trip.

After you emerge from Splash Mountain, I have ALWAYS loved this vista into Critter Country. It reminds me quite a bit of the Grizzly Peak area and our National Parks which I adore.

The new additions to the Rail Road... Trestles...

I'm pretty torn up that they whacked so much off the end of TSI. I wouldn't make it over to the island this trip, but it's a must on my next trip to the park.

The Chief has never looked better.

The island is going to take a while to develop the flora.

Even tiny horned lizards adorn the rocks next to the DLRR. Thanks Disney for making even the smallest details..

Some people having fun on a run-away railroad... and some goats..

The newest tunnel. I honestly expected a little more out of this. There's some vintage attraction posters painted on the inside of the tunnel, but that's it. Missed opportunity, Disney for some sort of interactive show.

Tracks of the past meet tracks of the future...

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied
    Originally posted by Malcon10t View Post
    We have mountains, we need the uniqueness.
    Amen.

Leave a comment:

• Malcon10t
    replied
    In Disneyland Proper, I think this may just be my favorite themed merchandise shop of the entire park. (For DCA, It is Elias and Company when you first walk into the park) I could hang out in here for hours just admiring all the details.
    This is why it upset me when people say "Get rid of Toon Town..." There is so much unique stuff back there. I love Five and Dime. I can spend a lot of time in there. The whole area is so unique. I know people who complain "But we could add a mountain there..." We have mountains, we need the uniqueness.

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied
    Originally posted by Meville View Post
    Such a great trip report full of great photos, amazing details and funny commentary: Thank you for sharing!

The Toon Town details were particularly enlightening as I have never noticed the little things; very cool!
    Thanks for coming along with me on this trip. We are just getting started. I LOVE just looking around and noticing all the AWESOME theming which separates Disney from the rest. I know most people are just about the 4 mountains and thrill rides, but that's only the tip of the iceberg of what Disney has to offer. If they ever get rid of Toon Town I will truly be sorry. It's just such a wonderful place (still needs shade).

Leave a comment:

• Meville
    replied
    Such a great trip report full of great photos, amazing details and funny commentary: Thank you for sharing!

The Toon Town details were particularly enlightening as I have never noticed the little things; very cool!

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied

After thoroughly enjoying Toon Town, we headed back to Tomorrowland. On the way I stopped to admire the Pixie Lagoon.

Afterward, we used our MaxPass to hit up Buzz. Amy hates when I snap pics like this...

And how the two adult women spent most of the week... staring at their phones..

I've NEVER shot Buzz before. This will be a first..

I feel like that Claw is going to get us.

Zurg Rules, huh? I don't think so!!

That'll be Mr. Zurg..

These next two are my favorites.

After Buzz, a quick trip on Space was in order..

While we were still in Tomorrowland, Katherine begged me for an AT-AT popcorn bucket... I acquiesced to her request... spoiled kid. Notice my Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar shirt... I SO WISH they had this at DLR vs. just WDW.

Last edited by whoever; 08-12-2018, 09:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X