Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matt's 40th Birthday Disneyland Trip. Club 33, Napa Rose, and Adventureland Suite!!!

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whoever
    replied

After thoroughly enjoying Toon Town, we headed back to Tomorrowland. On the way I stopped to admire the Pixie Lagoon.

Afterward, we used our MaxPass to hit up Buzz. Amy hates when I snap pics like this...

And how the two adult women spent most of the week... staring at their phones..

I've NEVER shot Buzz before. This will be a first..

I feel like that Claw is going to get us.

Zurg Rules, huh? I don't think so!!

That'll be Mr. Zurg..

These next two are my favorites.

After Buzz, a quick trip on Space was in order..

While we were still in Tomorrowland, Katherine begged me for an AT-AT popcorn bucket... I acquiesced to her request... spoiled kid. Notice my Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar shirt... I SO WISH they had this at DLR vs. just WDW.

Last edited by whoever; 08-12-2018, 09:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied
    After RRCS, we hit all the gags and interactive elements of this part of Toon Town. Vic was first..

She's got some serious upper body strength

Oh Charlotte

In Disneyland Proper, I think this may just be my favorite themed merchandise shop of the entire park. (For DCA, It is Elias and Company when you first walk into the park) I could hang out in here for hours just admiring all the details.

For those who have never been (YOU REALLY NEED TO GO), there's a overhead conveyor which transports the gags as they come out of the Gag Factory Machine. It's magic.

Heck with Carpe Diem, it's Carpe Gag 'Em here!!!

OK this is just awesome...An anvil on a barrel labeled FRAGILE!!! Flies in Ice Cubes, Random Mouse Traps, a Shaggy Dog in a box, and the best part... Stand Up Routines... which need to be placed up... but are upside down. This is serious Dad-joke territory and I love it all.

The Tall Tales... in a TALL box!!! The One Liners... as ONE LINE. An exploded exploding cigar.. Riddles... RIDDLED WITH HOLES... the Punch Line... Which PUNCHES YOU!!!.. and an ode to Jack and the Bean Stalk.. the Singing Harp.

I love how even the lighting sconces are gloved hands... ATTENTION TO DETAIL.

A close up of one of the gag flies in the ice cubes..

A crate of Banana peels.. A 100# barbell. Rubber Chickens on top of Overused Gags (that in and of itself is Hilarious), another "This side up" crate upside down. A barrel of noses... so good!!

Back outside, Toon Town simply is CHOK FULL of Amazing detail. It’s honestly one of my favorite themed lands after Adventureland and NOS. I don't know how any TRUE DISNEY LOVER could ever hate it.

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied
    Cruising into Toon town a quarter to four, I was happy to see that Star Wars land hasn't compromised Toon Town. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE all the details of Toon Town. So much attention has been dedicated to the various buildings of the land.

I have honestly never seen the firehose wrapped around the spire before. I usually find new details on every trip and that's the magic of Disneyland.

We walked on to Roger Rabbit with our Max Pass and I quickly snapped some pics of the boarding queue. Roger Rabbit Cartoon Spin is honestly one of the attractions at the resort I would RATHER go through the standby queue. I love that queue so much. Alas, even the loading queue is pretty amazing.

Clockwise, Little Mermaid, Fantasy, Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah, Three Little Pigs, AristoCats, 101 Dalmatians, Captain Hook.

While I realize the interior isn't truly structural, but this is period correct of how they used to build buildings back in the 1920s-1940s. TOTAL attention to detail. Most people would never know.

This is total dad joke territory, but I laughed... I tried explaining it several times to my group... they didn't get it.

Clockwise...Big, Bad, Wolf, Wonderland, I'm Late (Alice Reference), Wendy and Peter, Mr. Toad, Toon Town.

This is Hilarious.

Victoria is driving, HANG ON!!!

And here we go!!!

My favorite part of this picture is the building going WOAH!!!

The China Shop.. A masterpiece of mirror-work

I LOVE the gags.. Bullina... China Shope. Bull.. in... a.. China.. Shop. SO good!!

Into the Electrical Plant

Overloaded Transformers.

FEED ME!!

Zaaap!!

Roger just won't let go.

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied
    Given we were in Tomorrowland why go for a drive. I just love the juxtaposition of this... TOTAL anachronism... you are in the city of the future and a turn of the 19th century steam engine will take you back to the Frontier of America (arguably, the 1830s)

It's supposed to be TOMORROWLAND...only in Disneyland.

Vic thinking she's hot stuff since she'll be driving

ASIMO with an electric car while we put around in hydrocarbon-burning gokarts...fitting.

But that's the only way to get the car in front of you to actually move.

This should say... speed limit... a brisk walk

Why does a Bird need a parachute and why does ASIMO need a camper? Inquiring minds want to know.

Again, Bird who can fly can't manage to NOT mess up a flying device. Disney... we need a better story here. Kites also aren't very futuristic.

This next set of signs has me chuckle every time. I apologize for any blurriness in the pics...

So before Autopia being sponsored by Honda, I didn't realize Honda made a turbine (in partnership with GE) powered aircraft. The Honda HA-420 HondaJet is pictured. It's relevance to the world of tomorrow (much like Autopia) is unknown.

One of my upside down and backwards trick shots resulted in a great pic of Lindsey and Reese.

Done with inhaling a lot of exhaust fumes, it was time to head North, but not before I stopped to do another juxtaposition shot... Palm trees and a Monorail in the foreground... A Swiss Mountain peak in the background.

And some subs and monorail action..

And of course, I had to stop in for a check-in at the Disneyland Addiction FB group check-in spot.

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied
    As we typically do after our first couple attractions of the day, when we find ourselves in New Orleans Square, it's beignet time....

Since we were using MaxPass and thusly picking attractions which had favorable return windows, we were going to be all over the park. Our next destination was Tomorrowland... but as we were making our way there passing through Adventureland, I couldn't help but stop and appreciate this beautiful moss/lichen on one of the trees at the base of Tarzan's Treehouse. Oh how I lament the Tarzan overlay compared to the Swiss Family Robinson original, but I guess I'm a dying breed who remembers how amazing it was to finally be in the SFR's amazing treehouse. I've read that book in various iterations probably 50 times. I love it.

On to Star Tours it was!! C3PO was happy to greet us.

I love the IC360 droid.

Katherine was distracted by something... I wonder what?

Why it's a pair of Mon Calamari overseeing the operations.

One thing I absolutely love about Disney is their ties to the past. Being I was old enough to have experience Star Tours in it's original iteration, I immediately recognized the pair of RX-24 (Rex) pilot droids in their shipping containers.

In the next bay, was an R5 astromech with an R4 in the background.

This smaller droid which I'm afraid I don't recognize is forming a Hidden Mickey.

And yet another blast from the past...This G2-4T had a previous life...It was one of the geese from America Sings. LOVE IT!!!

Katherine... trying to be a teenager...

Tori LOVED this set of ears... it may have found its way being purchased as it matched her R2D2 dress she would wear later in the trip.

Despite Charlotte being the epitome of C3PO (fragile, scared of everything, skinny) we didn't get her those ears.

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied
    Returned to the bayou from our looting and plundering, we departed and of course headed through Pieces of Eight. I love 21 Royal/The Royal Court in between PoE and Port Royal Curios and Curiosities. It's such a nice respite from the hustle and bustle of NOS during the day. One of these days I will dine at 21 Royal... if I can find 10-11 friends who can stomach the price tag that is..

I like the little details of the grating..

From there, we made our way along the Rivers of America, past Cafe Orleans and Club 33, through Magnolia park, and finally to the queue for The Haunted Mansion.

Victoria was excited.

And Amy was smiling as well.

There's some queues I LIKE having to wait in. It gives me time to take in everything and all the little details.

More LAMP!!

Who do I spy as an Easter Egg down at Harbor Galley... Why Donald!!

Lindsey, Reese, and Katherine got together for a group shot.

The crypts are always a fun read.

The ironwork on the lamp posts is always something I appreciate.

More lamp... I seriously should do a scavenger hunt contest with find this lamp..

Remember the details... NOBODY does candles like Disney. Perfectly done.

Every attraction has a shot which is extremely elusive to get and I strive for on every pass through. For Indy, it's the bridge. For Pirates, it's the cat with the fish in its mouth. Peter Pan, it's the Indian Chief sitting next to his camp fire. For Pinocchio, it's the Blue Fairy. For Snow White, it's the hag opening the door with the apple in her hand. For Mansion... It's this possessed Suit of Armor. This may have been one of my best to date even though it’s kind of lack luster.

Ah.. into the attic we go. Its' filled with wedding portraits and wedding gifts from many departed husbands of Constance Hatchaway. Here as you will see, she was a beautiful woman who sought to obtain wealth and luxury. She accomplished this by marrying several rich men, including bankers, businessmen, farmers, and barons. However, each was murdered after the wedding by the deadly bride, decapitated with a hatchet so that she could claim their inheritance. Despite her crimes, she was never punished, though the public did dub her "The Black Widow Bride".

Her husbands were:

Ambrose Harper: The naive but good intentioned son of successful farmers (married in 1869)
    Frank Banks An eastern banker and community pillar (married in 1872)
    The Marquis de Doome A foreign diplomat with a military past (married in 1874)
    Reginald Caine A celebrated railroad baron, gambler and world renowned gourmand (married in 1875)
    George Hightower A relative of the wealthy hotel owner/explorer Harrison Hightower III (married in 1877)

Here's Reggy

And dear departed George..

Out of the attic to escape her murderous rage, we find ourselves in the family graveyard... this poor caretaker picked the wrong night to be out and about.

The band's back.

Why not have some drinks...

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied
    Originally posted by sbk1234 View Post
    I'm not so sure about making the park, but I may be able to do an out of park something. It's a little too soon to tell.
    Maybe we can do a half-beach day? Just let us know. We'll be driving so a little flexibility.

Leave a comment:

• sbk1234
    replied
    I'm not so sure about making the park, but I may be able to do an out of park something. It's a little too soon to tell.

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied
    Originally posted by hbdad
    Thank you for posting the picture of the hidden mickey on the armor. I have known there is one there for years, but when the person told me about it, they said it was on the middle piece of armor so I never saw it. From the picture, it looks like it is the one on the left.
    Yes, the breastplate of the left-most armor.

Originally posted by rapprincess View Post
    Love your trip reports! Get a kick out of your photos and details you bring out! Thank you.
    Thank you. They are probably a monotonous and boring for most (why is that guy taking a picture of a lamp post or trash can?) but I just LOVE every detail of Disneyland.

​​​​​​​
    Originally posted by Stormy View Post
    Love your pictures!
    Thanks Stormy. I try. Some are pretty lack-luster, but I try to post as few of those as possible.

​​​​​​​
    Originally posted by mickdaddy View Post
    Can't wait to read more!
    It's coming, this week has just been a killer. Today, I've been up since 2AM... Yesterday, it was 13hrs at the office and no energy to do much of anything.. same the day before. Such is my life.

​​​​​​​
    Originally posted by TCadillac View Post
    Great photos Matt, I too lament the loss of the real Redhead. I'm glad I was able to take my little one on it before they changed it.
    I'm pretty upset that we went all PC. I HOPE they at least redid it with a great back story. Disney is usually pretty good at the backstory.

​​​​​​​
    Originally posted by mpabis525 View Post
    I always love your trip reports and photos. Another great batch. These pics have me jonesing to go back and somehow to get a d750. Can't wait to see more.
    Thanks Mike!! I've been super jealous of your Hawaii Pics... Next year for us (Aulani and maybe Maui too). Was great following you and the family on the trip.

​​​​​​​
    Originally posted by sbk1234 View Post
    Another great trip report. I most love the photos you took of the bayou.
    Thanks Steve!! Any chance you will make it down for Dapper Day in the Spring? Char's 10th, so going to try for a solo trip with just her.

Originally posted by DisneyLifer View Post
    Regarding the music, yes, that is the Pirates Theme music. And I do enjoy your trip reports. Thank you for posting.
    Good attention to detail there Disney!! Thanks for the confirmation.

Leave a comment:

• DisneyLifer
    replied
    Regarding the music, yes, that is the Pirates Theme music. And I do enjoy your trip reports. Thank you for posting.

Leave a comment:

• sbk1234
    replied
    Another great trip report. I most love the photos you took of the bayou.

Leave a comment:

• mpabis525
    replied
    I always love your trip reports and photos. Another great batch. These pics have me jonesing to go back and somehow to get a d750. Can't wait to see more.

Leave a comment:

• TCadillac
    replied
    Great photos Matt, I too lament the loss of the real Redhead. I'm glad I was able to take my little one on it before they changed it.

Leave a comment:

• mickdaddy
    replied
    Can't wait to read more!

Leave a comment:

• Stormy
    replied
    Love your pictures!

Leave a comment:

• rapprincess
    replied
    Love your trip reports! Get a kick out of your photos and details you bring out! Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied

Boarded on our skiff, we started our float through the Bayou. The Bayou is honestly one of the most special places for me in all of Disneyland. I simply love it and it's so much better at night as your eyes are adjusted and you can see all the details it has to offer.

I'd live on this little house boat if I could..

Or in that cabin way in the back..

The disembodied head uttering it's warning never gets old.

This guy is always just hanging around..

I see some seaweed has found this fellow steering us into the storm.

Decent teeth for a pirate all things considered. I wonder what their dental plan is... gotta be better than mine.

Anybody know music? Is this accurate for the theme?

One of the most iconic scenes ever.

The Wicked Wench wasn't fairing so good in the battle... I blame the captain

The defenders were playing prairie-dog on the battlements

Never noticed this before. Hidden Mickey!!

Oh my beloved Red Head. This would be the last time I see you in your properly imagined state. I shed a tear for thee.

Love this guy balancing all those hats..

And this guy after one-too many hanging on to that pole for dear life.

Now riddle me this... why does this poor parrot appear to have nails sticking out of his breast?

Another hidden Mickey.

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied
    Originally posted by mre200200 View Post

Made me chuckle.

Happy to see that you're finally writing this one up! Looking forward to reading about the rest of your visit!
    I'm nothing if not consistent.

Leave a comment:

• mre200200
    replied
    Originally posted by whoever View Post
    So here's another trip report from Matt and family. If you don't know the players by now, go back and read some of my previous trip reports. That being said, this one is much like my others.. Slow... methodical... late... and jamb packed with details and specifics.
    Made me chuckle.

Happy to see that you're finally writing this one up! Looking forward to reading about the rest of your visit!

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied
    After we hit the park, we decided we were hungry. We pretty much always head Left (West SIIIIIIDE....) and decided some skewers from Bengal was in order. While we were waiting, I spotted one of the Easter Eggs.. I would pick up a map later, but neglected to photograph every one of the Easter eggs.. just needed a little more focus and time...

The thing which separates Disney from the competition is infallible theming . Look at the INSIDE of Bengal... It's a Cast member location.. yet.. its pure awesomeness!!!

The Rivers of America were thankfully back in full usage.. I LOVE the canoes... need to do those again..

Satiated on our various pork belly and beef kabobs, we headed for our usual first attraction of the first day... if you know us, you know it... PIRATES!!!

Charlotte was being a grouch..

I took the time to check out the details of the outside queue... if you don't like details, just keep scrolling because anybody that knows me know I love the details...

I could write a book on sconces, and lamps of Disneyland.. maybe I will.

Reese trying to contain her excitement...

Amy way too excited

Gotta love my lamp....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X