Announcement

Collapse
See more
See less

Any suggestions for an anniversary meal (preferably dinner) around mid-September?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HiddenMickey87
    replied
    Originally posted by hbdad

I couldn't disagree more. Blue Bayou has subpar food at a very high price. You seriously think the food is amazing? Just look at the reviews of the food. Go to Blue Bayou for the ambiance but that's it. And even then, the ambiance isn't that great. It's loud, crowded, busy, and bright depending on which way you're facing. And go ahead and try requesting a certain table and see how that goes. My wife and i went there on an anniversary many years ago and asked for a water front table and were told no guarantees. After waiting 30 plus mins to be seated even though we had a reservation, they said our table was ready. When taking us to our table, they walked us past empty tables up against the water and positioned us at the table nearest the kitchen. It was extremely loud and bright. Every 3 seconds an employee walking right past us. We could hear the noise from the kitchen. I was in a fit. I asked to be sat at the other open tables only to be told those tables were already taken. I said nobody is even at those tables. They did move us but not to the open table we passed. Then they brought out our food and got my wife's order wrong and we waited 20 mins for them to correct it. So either we eat separately or my food is ice cold. Some anniversary dinner! But what do you expect, this is an amusement park, not a high end restaurant with customer service and satisfaction as it's number one goal. That was the last time I've eaten there and will never go again.

I know you indicated you wanted to stay in the park and that's admirable, but this is your anniversary. Go to the park during the day and go off property for dinner. Remember, this is an amusement park. Even Steakhouse 55 is not on the same level as nearby steak houses such as The Ranch, Mastro's, Ruth's Chris. If you must stay on property, I would do Carthay Circle or Hungry Bear.
    If the OP did indeed want a theme park restaurant, Blue Bayou is the most romantic at Disneyland.

As for Steakhouse 55, it's pretty well-renowned in Anaheim and holds it's weight against the chains you mentioned. I've seen travel guides even say so.

Leave a comment:

• Malcon10t
    replied
    Originally posted by Replicant9 View Post
    I'm bummed because when we were there for our anniversary 2 years ago, we were able to get a WOC dessert party reservation which was amazing and now they don't even have that. Thanks very much!
    Just to be sure you are aware, WOC "broke". It is pretty massive, and I know Disney would really like to have it up.

I don't know the dates you are looking for, but Carthay should have plenty of openings most night, also Wine Country. My preference would have you heading to the DLH to Steakhouse 55.

Leave a comment:

• Malcon10t
    replied
    Steakhouse 55 is my go to for special occasions. Blue bayou, not so much....

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied
    Originally posted by hbdad

Since when is San Diego a short jaunt down the 5? It's an hour and a half there and an hour and a half back. That's 3 hours! Irvine is a short jaunt down the 5. Downtown LA is closer than San Diego!
    I used to make the trip pretty regularly. It wasn't bad at all.

Leave a comment:

• HiddenMickey87
    replied
    Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    If you’re there multiple days maybe venture outside of the Disney bubble and go to other romantic restaurants in Orange County. For a nice inland view, and closest to Disneyland, there’s the Orange County Mining Company. Or you can go to the coast. I like Blue Water Grill, Harborside Restaurant, Mastro’s, or Javier’s in Newport Beach. There’s also Las Brisas in Laguna Beach.
    I'll vouch for Mastro's!

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied
    Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    If you’re there multiple days maybe venture outside of the Disney bubble and go to other romantic restaurants in Orange County. For a nice inland view, and closest to Disneyland, there’s the Orange County Mining Company. Or you can go to the coast. I like Blue Water Grill, Harborside Restaurant, Mastro’s, or Javier’s in Newport Beach. There’s also Las Brisas in Laguna Beach.
    As this poster recommended, if you are looking for truly blow your socks off, I've heard NOTHING but rave reviews of Addison in San Diego (a short jaunt down the 5).

http://www.addisondelmar.com/about/addison/

Leave a comment:

• DisneyIPresume
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Darth Scottie
    replied
    +1 for SH55. And tell them its your anniversary.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• HiddenMickey87
    replied
    In the parks, do Blue Bayou. Reserve a time 60 days in advance about a half hour from when you actually want to be seated, and when you get there, politely request a table by the water. (Be specific, like along the rail, in the middle, not by the waitstaff areas.) You'll be accommodated, but there will be a wait. In my experience it's never been more than 15 minutes but they may tell you longer. Take the time to just linger and wander around the NOS shops while you wait. While you're there, you may as well reserve the Fantasmic dining packages so you get a good view of the show.

I haven't been to Carthay Circle in DCA, but I've heard great things about it. That said, WOC is down for a while so if you're looking for a show, that's not going to be it.

Outside the parks, I'd otherwise recommend:

-Steakhouse 55 at Disneyland Hotel. There will likely be less kids, so it's quieter and more romantic, like you're dining in a classic 50's steakhouse. Food is and has been exceptional. Ribeye w/ the 55 Rub all the way!
    -Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen. Call well in advance and request the balcony table. There's only 1 or 2 of them, but if you say you're celebrating a special occassion, they may let you have it. Be a little flexible with your schedule -- these tables are worth it. My wife and I did that for our 1st anniversary. We had a private balcony with a nice evening view over DTD and the perfect fireworks view! They even gave us free champagne.

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied
    Originally posted by moviemike View Post

You could also try Napa Rose inside the Grand hotel. Haven’t been there myself but I believe it has the same executive chef as Carthay. There could be other options in Downtown Disney as well but I’m not as familiar with any of those.
    Sutton is over Napa Rose, Carthay, and Club33 now. Chef Marcel who was over 33 previously is over at SH55 now. I would say if you don't have an in for C33, Napa or SH55 make amazing anniversary dining destinations. Both are amazing.

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied
    Originally posted by Nesboy43 View Post
    Go to Blue Bayou. The food and service are amazing and the atmosphere can’t be beat. Carthaway Circle and Napa Rose are like any other restaraunt out in the world, go for something unique and special.
    I don't know I necessarily agree with you on Napa. Everything I've ever had there is amazing and my last meal there at Chef's counter was the best meal I've had in 40years.

Leave a comment:

• Nesboy43
    replied
    Go to Blue Bayou. The food and service are amazing and the atmosphere can’t be beat. Carthaway Circle and Napa Rose are like any other restaraunt out in the world, go for something unique and special.

Leave a comment:

• moviemike
    replied
    Wifey and I absolutely love Carthay Circle Restaurant. We’ve spent many an anniversary and/or birthday there. In my opinion, it’s the best restaurant in either park. Blue Bayou has alright ambience, but I think the food there is kinda the pits. Certainly not worth the price.

And to echo what Mandelbrot said above, World of Color is out of commission going through maintenance through the end of this year, possibly into next. Explanation from David Koenig is copied/pastes below from the MicChat updat. If you want a dinner and show, they have Fantasmic packages, but I can’t comment on those as I’ve never done them.

You could also try Napa Rose inside the Grand hotel. Haven’t been there myself but I believe it has the same executive chef as Carthay. There could be other options in Downtown Disney as well but I’m not as familiar with any of those.

Re: World of Color, ​​David Koenig mentioned this in the most recent MiceChat update:

“When Disney rushed to build DCA and Downtown Disney on the cheap two decades back, they opted not to do all the prep work they could have to avoid future costs and delays. They’re currently paying that price.

At DCA, World of Color was thought to be going dark for just a couple of months. That was extended through the summer and now they’re shooting for near the end of the year. One tech fears the show might not return until 2019.

Evidently, the World of Color lagoon needs to be dug up to make repairs to electrical and plumbing—fixes related to short-sightedness during construction.”
    Last edited by moviemike; 08-12-2018, 04:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mandelbrot
    replied
    What restaurants would you be interested in? All the best restaurants on property have reservations available at that time. WOC dessert party reservations aren't available because WOC is not performing at that time.

Leave a comment:

• Any suggestions for an anniversary meal (preferably dinner) around mid-September?

Hello, I'm wondering if anyone has some suggestions where my husband and I could celebrate our 9th anniversary dining at either park; I was looking tonight and there seems to be NOTHING available for any table service restaurant we would be interested in dining at (or pretty much anywhere at all, really.) I'm bummed because when we were there for our anniversary 2 years ago, we were able to get a WOC dessert party reservation which was amazing and now they don't even have that. Thanks very much!
Working...
X