Get Away Today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Right Down Broadway View Post
    If Walt Disney had decided to only give us what the public wanted...we'd have Coney Island West.
    It's honestly funny to me that you think what 'Walt would have done' still matters.
    I open a toy, review it and take mediocore pictures. Read all about it HERE!

Originally posted by VintageMouse;n8463446

You know best :-)

Comment

Why Would Walt DISNEY's ideals and philosophies not be relevant at DISNEYland?

Comment

Because it's a multi-national corporation with billions of dollars in assets: I thought this was covered.

It it would be like asking why McDonalds does not do things like the brothers did all those years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by whoever View Post

It was a formula for success. In fact, the Disney Institute makes good money teaching such things.
          Fair point. In fact my company paid big bucks to send a good portion of the staff down for a corporate retreat to learn the Disney way of doing things. Funny thing is that we still are cutting expenses, cutting the workforce, giving our own customers a worse experience overall. So either the messege was lost or the Disney formula is the same as any corporate formula: increase revenues, decrease expenses, but maybe do it with a smile?

Comment

There seems to be an assumption that the band leaving is because of cost cutting. Is there any evidence to back that up, though? I haven't seen any, and there are several other possible explanations.

Comment

Originally posted by mcphoenix View Post
              There seems to be an assumption that the band leaving is because of cost cutting. Is there any evidence to back that up, though? I haven't seen any, and there are several other possible explanations.
              Not that I disagree with you, but what other possibilities are you thinking of?
              Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

Comment

I listed 4 possible reasons in my initial post.

Comment

Originally posted by Meville View Post

It's honestly funny to me that you think what 'Walt would have done' still matters.
                  Why not? Books have been or are being written on his business practices, and corporations often send employees to trainings based on them. Problem is that whether it's Wall St or Hollywood, no one's willing to take risks anymore. That's why all you get is a boring repeat of remakes and sequels of existing IPs. Creativity is no longer rewarded. It's all about the dollar -- and how to get as much of it as cheaply as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by HiddenMickey87 View Post

Why not? Books have been or are being written on his business practices, and corporations often send employees to trainings based on them. Problem is that whether it's Wall St or Hollywood, no one's willing to take risks anymore. That's why all you get is a boring repeat of remakes and sequels of existing IPs. Creativity is no longer rewarded. It's all about the dollar -- and how to get as much of it as cheaply as possible.
                    Exactly my point. The Disney Corp couldn't care less about Walt's ideals, only money. He has long been used as a mascot more than anything.

Comment

The Disney Corp couldn't care less about Walt's ideals, only money. He has long been used as a mascot more than anything.
                      Both defender and critic completely understand that this is, indeed, the case. One group is accepting of it, the other voices its opinions for change.

Comment

Both defender and critic completely understand that this is, indeed, the case. One group is accepting of it, the other voices its opinions for change.
                        I've said this before: the only sounds that The Disney corp listens to is the sounds of the turnstiles and cash registers. When that slows then change will come.

And while you may think that I'm am accepting of a inferior product, the fact is that I'm only being realistic about the system that has be created to benefit the owners of these massive corporations.

Comment

Bummer. I wish they would get rid of the parades and save that money to add more live bands. I feel the bands add more to the experience and are appreciated and less of a crowding issue. Having enjoyable ambient music hitting you all day is great and to find some of it coming from a live act is even better.
                          Last edited by Starcade; 08-14-2018, 02:03 PM.

Comment

I've said this before: the only sounds that The Disney corp listens to is the sounds of the turnstiles and cash registers. When that slows then change will come.

And while you may think that I'm am accepting of a inferior product, the fact is that I'm only being realistic about the system that has be created to benefit the owners of these massive corporations.
                            Again, we all understand this. Which is why I haven't set foot in a Disney park in three years, and Disneyland in over a decade. Voting with my wallet, you know.

Going to Busch Gardens Williamsburg this weekend though. Should be a blast!

Comment

Exactly my point. The Disney Corp couldn't care less about Walt's ideals, only money. He has long been used as a mascot more than anything.
                              Exactly right. Hence the hypocrisy of a corporation that piously touts the founder's name and image as if they were his appointed successors, while cynically ignoring his values with respect to their audience.
                              "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                              it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                              together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                              designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                              - Michael Eisner

Comment

Again, we all understand this. Which is why I haven't set foot in a Disney park in three years, and Disneyland in over a decade. Voting with my wallet, you know.

Going to Busch Gardens Williamsburg this weekend though. Should be a blast!
                                So here is a honest question for you then.

How can you judge the supposed declining quality of Disneyland if you haven't been in 10 years?

Comment

So here is a honest question for you then.

How can you judge the supposed declining quality of Disneyland if you haven't been in 10 years?
                                  Pictures. Pictures work pretty good. Pictures of destroyed venues like the Market House, or the alcove benches on the castle drawbridge or Princess Fantasy Fair, or ridiculous things like Jolly Holiday Bakery or pictures of a scalloped-out ROA. Or pictures of the bastardized New Orleans Square and Court of Angels. And of course I did visit during the decline.

The pictures are bad enough. I can't imagine how bad it must be in person.

Comment

Pictures. Pictures work pretty good. Pictures of destroyed venues like the Market House, or the alcove benches on the castle drawbridge or Princess Fantasy Fair, or ridiculous things like Jolly Holiday Bakery or pictures of a scalloped-out ROA. Or pictures of the bastardized New Orleans Square and Court of Angels. And of course I did visit during the decline.

The pictures are bad enough. I can't imagine how bad it must be in person.
                                    It's surprisingly good in person- pictures tend to highlight the worst but gloss over the good. If you haven't been in a decade, you've missed numerous ride updates and attraction enhancements that have helped plus the park. Sure, not all are great but it's really difficult to have an informed opinion on the state of Disneyland if you don't actually go.

Comment

I guess this answers the question in another thread asking if this is another golden age of Disneyland .
                                      --
                                      http://www.bewaterwise.com

Comment

Originally posted by ajburk97 View Post

It's surprisingly good in person- pictures tend to highlight the worst but gloss over the good. If you haven't been in a decade, you've missed numerous ride updates and attraction enhancements that have helped plus the park. Sure, not all are great but it's really difficult to have an informed opinion on the state of Disneyland if you don't actually go.
                                        Not really. Besides, "ride updates" are just Band-Aids.

Comment

Working...
                                        X