X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAspace
    started a topic Bad news: Fire house band leaving for good

Bad news: Fire house band leaving for good

bad news: Known permanent closure dates -- experience them while you still can!from Touring Plans.

This attraction will become extinct on September 14, 2018.
    Its final day of operation is scheduled for Thursday, September 13, 2018. Description And Comments

Live band in fireman attire that performs outside the Main Street Fire Station.
    Last edited by CAspace; 08-12-2018, 06:09 PM. Reason: credit to touring plans

• Golden Zephyr
    replied
    Originally posted by Phantomwise View Post
    I'm not in Entertainment so I'm not 100% sure, but here's my two cents.

1. Could be cost-cutting. Keep in mind that this was a show, not a band. Musicians can be in multiple groups. The cut here would basically be shifts. That said, Entertainment doesn't get such extensive budget cuts like other departments.

2. Backstage Access. So why Hook and Ladder over Straw Hatters? I suspect it's because it's always been an inconvenient show. Some points in the show require blocking the Firehouse gate for the characters. That is the /only/ access point to the west side in Town Square, compared to where the Straw Hatters perform which has two accesspoints. Perhaps they decided that the show wasn't justifying the inconvenience anymore (my personal observation was that the show didn't seem too popular either, but I don't spend a lot if time on Main Street to say for sure.)

3. Shows change. Look through vintage photos and videos and you'll spot plenty of shows that don't exist anymore (the Dapper Dans and Disneyland Band being the exceptions). Something will eventually replace it. Personally, I much prefer seeing new shows come.
    We all hope that there will be another show. One can't forget that Chapek is in charge and cheapness is the name of the game. Cheapeneering has replaced Imagineering. Remember the Cheapeneer motto ... "can we cut it?!".

It is likely that the poor firehouse band was a victim of Chapek's legendary Cheapeneers.

Some random Cheapeneering examples:

Taking a Rib Eye at the Blue Bayou, slicing it in half, making it as thin as a piece of jerky then charging twice the price.

Reducing the size of a pizza slice by more than 20%

Cutting amenities in the hotels, but hiking rates.

Cutting the number of cast member staffing ratios.

Profaning Mickey's Fun Wheel into the Pixar "Pal a-round" and calling it a "new" ride experience

and on... and on... and on....

Chapek Cheapout!
    Last edited by Golden Zephyr; 08-21-2018, 10:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Phantomwise
    replied
    Shows change. Look through vintage photos and videos and you'll spot plenty of shows that don't exist anymore (the Dapper Dans and Disneyland Band being the exceptions). Something will eventually replace it. Personally, I much prefer seeing new shows come.
    Last edited by Phantomwise; 11-09-2018, 07:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    replied
    Originally posted by Golden Zephyr View Post
    It looks like Chapek's army of Cheapeneers has scored another win!

Remember... they are always asking of every attraction, service, amenity, and entertainment... "can we cut it, can we trim it, can we reduce it, can we shorten it, can we CHEAPEN it? and will the guests notice and will they care????"
    BINGO
    It all add up =Premium" Experiences..........has Fallen
    and the parks is more a CASH GRAB , while details and corners get cut ....sad
    PAY MORE for less !...

Leave a comment:

• Nesboy43
    replied
    I had forgotten about the multicolor ice crystals, definitely miss that effect. The current Yeti is too loud IMO.

Leave a comment:

• ajburk97
    replied
    Originally posted by HiddenMickey87 View Post

Ah, I must have missed it.. The ice crystals are still gone though right?
    Sadly, yes.

Leave a comment:

• HiddenMickey87
    replied
    Originally posted by ajburk97 View Post

The Wells Tribute is still there. It wasn't for a few months after the ride reopened, but it's been there for at least two years now.
    Ah, I must have missed it.. The ice crystals are still gone though right?

Leave a comment:

• ajburk97
    replied
    Originally posted by HiddenMickey87 View Post

I'm not a fan of the new Matterhorn (the bobsleds are another painful story). I wouldn't call it a band-aid, but I wish they hadn't removed the ice crystals/Wells tribute, or changed the uphill ascent scene.

I do like the upgrades on Peter Pan's Flight... It looks very superb compared to WDW's.
    The Wells Tribute is still there. It wasn't for a few months after the ride reopened, but it's been there for at least two years now.

Leave a comment:

• Golden Zephyr
    replied
    It looks like Chapek's army of Cheapeneers has scored another win!

Remember... they are always asking of every attraction, service, amenity, and entertainment... "can we cut it, can we trim it, can we reduce it, can we shorten it, can we CHEAPEN it? and will the guests notice and will they care????"

Leave a comment:

• HiddenMickey87
    replied
    Originally posted by Right Down Broadway View Post
    Pictures. Pictures work pretty good. Pictures of destroyed venues like the Market House, or the alcove benches on the castle drawbridge or Princess Fantasy Fair, or ridiculous things like Jolly Holiday Bakery or pictures of a scalloped-out ROA. Or pictures of the bastardized New Orleans Square and Court of Angels. And of course I did visit during the decline.

The pictures are bad enough. I can't imagine how bad it must be in person.
    Exactly.

Not every diner uses ketchup, mustard and hot sauce, but it's nice to have all three on the table.

The Disneyland equivalent to this is all the details you mentioned above, that have been gutted, changed, or removed. Add to that most of Tomorrowland, the amenities of Disneyland Hotel, etc., and not only does Disney no longer "offer ketchup, mustard and hot sauce on the table," but they're charging you extra for the smaller portion on your plate.

Leave a comment:

• HiddenMickey87
    replied

You sure? The thorough refurb BTMRR got in 2014, with an improved finale, was a band aid?

The beautiful updates to Peter Pans Flight done in 2015 that enhanced an already amazing attraction, was a band aid?

The amazing new yeti we got on the Matterhorn, with a vastly improved exterior facade- were just band aids?

I will concede that in Jones- the new door projection effect in place of the actual moving doors is a band aid. And that the new Matterhorn bobsleds weren't an improvement at all.
    I'm not a fan of the new Matterhorn (the bobsleds are another painful story). I wouldn't call it a band-aid, but I wish they hadn't removed the ice crystals/Wells tribute, or changed the uphill ascent scene.

I do like the upgrades on Peter Pan's Flight... It looks very superb compared to WDW's.

Leave a comment:

• JerrodDRagon
    replied

You sure? The thorough refurb BTMRR got in 2014, with an improved finale, was a band aid?

The beautiful updates to Peter Pans Flight done in 2015 that enhanced an already amazing attraction, was a band aid?

The amazing new yeti we got on the Matterhorn, with a vastly improved exterior facade- were just band aids?

I will concede that in Jones- the new door projection effect in place of the actual moving doors is a band aid. And that the new Matterhorn bobsleds weren't an improvement at all.
    I agree the updates on most rides, are really well done...though to get nick picky, I was not impressed by Peter Pan compared to Snow White and Wonderlands amazing upgrades.

But overall, also like the touches up to Indy as well back in 2012 (i think?)

Leave a comment:

• whoever
    replied

Spot on.

Leave a comment:

• ajburk97
    replied
    Not really. Besides, "ride updates" are just Band-Aids.

Leave a comment:

• Right Down Broadway
    replied

It's surprisingly good in person- pictures tend to highlight the worst but gloss over the good. If you haven't been in a decade, you've missed numerous ride updates and attraction enhancements that have helped plus the park. Sure, not all are great but it's really difficult to have an informed opinion on the state of Disneyland if you don't actually go.
    Not really. Besides, "ride updates" are just Band-Aids.

Leave a comment:

• ravencroft
    replied
    I guess this answers the question in another thread asking if this is another golden age of Disneyland .

Leave a comment:

• ajburk97
    replied
    Pictures. Pictures work pretty good. Pictures of destroyed venues like the Market House, or the alcove benches on the castle drawbridge or Princess Fantasy Fair, or ridiculous things like Jolly Holiday Bakery or pictures of a scalloped-out ROA. Or pictures of the bastardized New Orleans Square and Court of Angels. And of course I did visit during the decline.

It's surprisingly good in person- pictures tend to highlight the worst but gloss over the good. If you haven't been in a decade, you've missed numerous ride updates and attraction enhancements that have helped plus the park. Sure, not all are great but it's really difficult to have an informed opinion on the state of Disneyland if you don't actually go.

Leave a comment:

• Right Down Broadway
    replied
    Originally posted by Meville View Post

So here is a honest question for you then.

How can you judge the supposed declining quality of Disneyland if you haven't been in 10 years?

Leave a comment:

• Meville
    replied
    Again, we all understand this. Which is why I haven't set foot in a Disney park in three years, and Disneyland in over a decade. Voting with my wallet, you know.

Going to Busch Gardens Williamsburg this weekend though. Should be a blast!
    So here is a honest question for you then.

How can you judge the supposed declining quality of Disneyland if you haven't been in 10 years?

Leave a comment:

• Mr Wiggins
    replied
    Originally posted by Meville View Post
    Exactly my point. The Disney Corp couldn't care less about Walt's ideals, only money. He has long been used as a mascot more than anything.
    Exactly right. Hence the hypocrisy of a corporation that piously touts the founder's name and image as if they were his appointed successors, while cynically ignoring his values with respect to their audience.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X