Kicking off HalloweenTime at Disneyland, plus Alli turns 40!

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mre200200
    Joe Flowers
    • Dec 2009

Trip Report Kicking off HalloweenTime at Disneyland, plus Alli turns 40!

A few weeks have passed since my last Disneyland trip, but that doesn't mean I haven't been keeping busy.
    First there was a trip to see my brother and visit the Jelly Belly jelly bean factory.

Then after visiting the Napa Farmer's Market, we taste tested 7 different apple varieties.

Theresa got her healthy apple taste test, so I had to have one of my own. The Lay's Tastes of America had 12 different potato chip flavors.

So yes, we've kept ourselves busy. But after a few weeks off, everyone was ready to go back to Disneyland. And look what they've done since we've been gone! It's HalloweenTime at Disneyland! We love Halloween!

I was happy to see the pumpkins all over Downtown Disney. It gives it a Fall feel.

And now the main entrance is topped with giant pumpkins.

Everyone was quick to get ready this morning so we were able to make it into the park just after the 8am opening. Our very first stop was in front of the castle to get some great family photos.

This week's hat theme is obviously The Nightmare Before Christmas and boy did we get a lot of attention today. Today, more than any day in recent memory, people were coming up to us asking where all our hats came from.
    From left to right. Oogie Boogie is a licensed hat made by Elope. You can currently buy it here. Out of all the hats this was the most popular today.
    Jack Skellington in his Santa hat came from Japan, and was made by Sega. Yes, the video game console, Sonic the Hedgehog Sega. The Sally beanie was a recent eBay acquisition. I haven't been able to determine an origin for it yet. Theresa's Zero headband is something I've had for a while.

The tag from Ian's hat. I see that there's a Scary Teddy hat in the collection too (different than the Scary Teddy hat I already have).

Aww. Jack and Sally loving each other.

Lookout! Oogie Boogie is going to get you! Since it was so early and there was hardly any line to speak of, Photopass photographer Alyssa lined us in a lots of different poses.

First I grabbed us all fastpasses to ride the Haunted Mansion Holiday, then it was off to Fantasyland to knock out some rides that will have crazy lines later. Dumbo was first and it's a daddy-only ride. Alli pointed out the pink Dumbo while we waited and said she really wanted to ride that one. I told her that the numbers get assigned and you don't get to pick what color you want anymore.

So she was especially happy when our randomly assigned number happened to be pink!

Benefit of mommy sitting on the sidelines is that she can get photos of us.

Oogie has a spider dangling from his hat.

The kids certainly love finding money. Alli found a nickel in the Dumbo seat. I told her she could throw it into the water by Dumbo but that's not what she wanted. Alli - I want to save it and put it in my bank! (wow, that's some grown-up thinking) Alli - And then I want to spend it on candy! (ah, that makes sense now)

Next was a very short line to get on Casey Jr.

Despite being one of the last to board, the caboose was still open for Ian to ride in. And Alli very happily hopped in the pink animal cage.

I asked if the kids wanted to ride more rides back in Fantasyland or drive the Autopia cars. Both were very excited to drive. It's been a few weeks Alli. How are the grapes doing?

I see a few bunches of them, but they're not getting much bigger.

The lines have been wonderful so far. Autopia was nearly a walk-on.

There's some wild moments while driving, but for the most part he's able to keep it straight.

Alli on the other hand can still barely see above the steering wheel. She was banging back and forth the whole drive, but still having a good time. At the end she told T, "Mommy, this car is crazy!"

It's time! A serious contender for my favorite ride at Disneyland. The holiday overlay of the Haunted Mansion!

The standby line was only 30 minutes, but I was still glad to bypass it all and walk right up with our fastpasses.

All our favorite characters are here. The ghost-dog Zero of course.

I like how every year there is a different massive gingerbread house centerpiece, and how it's always different. This year a gigantic spider appears to have wrapped the Mansion in its web and is trying to abscond with it.

Zero watching the whole thing from high above.

Entering the attic, I see both Ian and I made the Nice list.

Aww, a present for me?

And one for Ian too.

It's Santa Jack, just like Ian's hat.

There's Sally. I'm glad she finally found her way to the mansion a few years ago.

For the last few years, I've been able to find a Hidden Mickey or two scattered throughout the graveyard. Despite my best efforts, none were to be found on this trip. I think a few more visits are in order for more research.

There's Oogie Boogie! The kids love him! And I've got my eye on that Santa hat he's wearing...

Both kids wanted to ride it again, but we've got another surprise up our sleeves coming up next.

What's this? What's this? Alli on Splash Mountain? Like I said, it's been a few weeks since we've been here and she was just barely under. To our happy surprise her head was just brushing the bottom of the height check and she was given the thumbs up to continue! It was all so quick and the fastpass was backed up so I didn't have time to take a picture.
    As a special treat for this momentous occasion, Theresa joined us on our trip too!

She didn't know what to expect, but she was liking everything as we floated past (as long as I held onto her). Here comes the big drop Alli!

Later on our drive home, I asked her what her favorite thing was today. She told me that it was the great big drop on Splash Mountain! Such a big girl! She's just a little cold from getting wet.

Who is in that photo Alli?

It's Alli! (Disney seems to still be having problems with photos. Photos taken by the photopass photographers are linked within 30 minutes. Ride photos are now taking multiple days to link up.)

Theresa's drying off technique.

Our last ride in this park is Winnie the Pooh.

The kids both love that they can sit up front all by themselves.

The ride exits directly into Pooh Corner (a candy shop), so you know Alli was making a bee-line inside.

The candy is made right here on the premises just behind a glass window. While we were admiring the different treats in the display case, one of the candy ladies came out of the candy kitchen and said "Dad, we just wanted to give you props for your hat. And it matches your shirt too!" I thanked her and had the kids turn around and wave to all the people in the kitchen too.

I think that just pushed the cuteness factor over the top because a short time later, 4 of the candy ladies came out of the kitchen and over to the front counter. After asking us if it was okay to give them something, they handed Ian and Alli a marshmallow mummy wand! Yum!
    So to Pam and all the other candy ladies at Pooh Corner, thank you for the extra bit of Disney Magic!

Delicious!

Sharing with Daddy.

And Mommy.

One of the other things one of the cast members at Pooh Corner reminded me of was the Jack and Sally meet-and-greet. Oh yeah!
    I shouldn't have been surprised at how popular it was. The cast member at the end of the line estimated about 45-60 minutes. That's a little too long for us today, but I hope we can get back to see them this season.

We've already done so much, but there's still more to come! Part 2 is coming soon.
    Visit my blog at http://flowerstales.blogspot.com/

I stayed overnight in the Disneyland Dream Suite! Read all about it here!
    Joe's Epic Overnight Disneyland Dream Suite Trip Report
  • bamato
    DLR Enthusiast
    • Nov 2008

Thanks for putting up another great TR Joe. Very excited for Alli's first ride on Splash, such a cool milestone! And the kids getting marshmallow wands from the CMs at Pooh's Corner brought a smile to my face this morning.
    -Brian

Comment

• Gamedog
      Banned User
      • Aug 2010

Very cool TR, Joe!

Being 1,000 miles away from DLR, I appreciate these even more now!

Comment

• mickdaddy
        MiceChatter
        • Dec 2009

Awesome, Such a great day when they can ride the big rides!
        BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

• theatremouse
          MiceChatter
          • Sep 2013

Joe, I was right behind you on Buena Vista St and noticed the hat first (and thought it was cool). Y'all were walking much faster than I was and by the time I realized it was you, you were too far away to say hi.
          Last edited by theatremouse; 09-19-2018, 05:06 PM.

Comment

• mre200200
            Joe Flowers
            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by bamato View Post
            Thanks for putting up another great TR Joe. Very excited for Alli's first ride on Splash, such a cool milestone! And the kids getting marshmallow wands from the CMs at Pooh's Corner brought a smile to my face this morning.
            A whole new world of rides is opening up! Bring on the thrill!
            It really makes my day too when something special happens at the parks.

Originally posted by Gamedog View Post
            Very cool TR, Joe!

Being 1,000 miles away from DLR, I appreciate these even more now!
            Thanks! I certainly appreciate how fortunate I am to live to close to DL.

Originally posted by mickdaddy View Post
            Awesome, Such a great day when they can ride the big rides!
            For sure! I think I'm going to have to temper the big rides with Alli just a little bit. If I just straight into something like Guardians of the Galaxy or Space Mountain, it might be a little too much too quick. I think her next "big" ride is going to be something like the swings and Big Thunder (mostly outdoors).

Any other thoughts on a good introductory big kid ride?

Originally posted by whoever View Post
            AWESOME TR as usual Joe. Love the hats. The kiddos are getting so big. Can't wait to see you guys next.
            Thanks Matt! I thought you might enjoy those Nightmare hats. When will your full-size Jack Skellington be coming out at your house?

Originally posted by theatremouse View Post
            Joe, I was right behind you on Buena Vista St and noticed the hat first (and thought it was cool). Y'all were walking much faster than I was and by the time I realized it was you, you were too far away to say hi.
            Bummer! If we were walking down Buena Vista street at the time, we were probably on a mission to get over to Soarin to check Alli's height there. It's interesting that 40" isn't the same everywhere around the park.
            But with how often we're at the park, I wouldn't be surprised if we cross paths again. Just keep looking for the interesting hats.

Time for Part 2!

Comment

• mre200200
              Joe Flowers
              • Dec 2009

After spending a fun morning at Disneyland, it was time now to head over to California Adventure.

Oh yeah. There's Oogie Boogie. I like how they've got decorations all over both parks.

Our first stop is the fantastically themed Cars Land. I love seeing how the residents of Radiator Springs decorate for Halloween.

And even on a fairly simple ride, Disney makes the effort of changing the soundtrack for Halloween.

Normally at this point, we'd stop by the Boudin bakery for a bread sample, and the Ghirardelli chocolate shop for a chocolate sample. The kids like to make chocolate sandwiches. But for the first time ever since we've been coming here, Ghirardelli was out of chocolate samples... How unfortunate.

At the back of Pixar Pier, we used a fastpass to hop on the ride.

Here I thought me and Ian were doing pretty well. We opened up the tank on the Green Army Men screen. And we immediately activated the robot during the Little Green Men screen.

But Theresa is the one who claimed the high score today. Nice work T.

Lunchtime! Of all the new seasonal Halloween treats available, this is the one T and I were most excited about. One of the best things to eat at Epcot is the Cheese soup at Le Cellier, and my favorite way to eat it is as a dip along with the Le Cellier pretzel bread.

This Cheddar and Bacon Ale soup is at least the equal of the Le Cellier soup, and I might just actually like it a little better. There was quite a bit of bacon in it which pushes it over the top. And if you ask, they'll slice the bread bowl, which makes it the perfect size for dipping. I have a feeling I'll be eating quite a few of these in the coming weeks.

And after eating all their lunch, the kids were excited to dig into their halloween cupcake.

With their Santa Jack and Sally hats, Ian wanted to give "presents" of all his bread crusts to the ducks and seagulls hanging out below.

Ian and I split off and took a spin on Goofy's Sky School.

While Theresa and Alli danced with Luigi and all his cousins to Halloween songs on this rethemed ride.

Waving at Red the firetruck in his clown costume as he drives by.

This is the photo I really wanted to get. Ian has a similar photo at the entrance of Soarin when he turned 40 inches. Let's go ride!

Ian tried to explain the ride but you just have to experience Soarin to understand it.

Alli liked that it had all the animals. Her favorite part (that she kept talking about even after we got home) was flying over the elephant herd, and when the elephant tosses the dirt in the air, we fly right through it.

Ian really really wanted to ride the Grizzly River Run. Off we go while Theresa and Alli ride Ariel.
              Ian asked what the giant bear's name was. A cast member told him it was Timmy. That's a giant Mickey pumpkin pail he's holding too.

You're going to get soaked Ian. No, you're going to get soaked Daddy. If history is any indication, he's probably right.

Throughout the ride I was getting splashes here and there, but nothing terrible. Even going down the big hill, I came away without getting too wet. But the geyser at the end... The geyser that somehow knows I'm coming and pours out just a little more water than normal. Without fail, it fired up just as I got there and soaked me.

Yeah yeah, you were right Ian. One of those "ring out your shirt" rides because you get so wet.

Ariel must have had a long line because we finished before T and Alli. Ian said he'd dry off if he got to go on the zip-line in the Redwood Creek Challenge Trails.

Before we go, I wanted to stop by the AP corner. We collected our free buttons and headed over to the photo-op. I would have loved if this were an actual character instead of a backdrop. There was a smoke machine running, but the harsh midday lighting makes it impossible to see. Still, it would have been awesome if Oogie Boogie as a walk around character would have been back here.

I heard there's just a little more Oogie Boogie around here. Not content to just do the Gingerbread house at Christmastime, those bakers are working extra hard to create this Halloween Pump"cake" Patch.
              Quite a bit goes into this. 200 pounds of powdered sugar, 40 pounds of egg whites, 180 pounds of rice cereal, 80 pounds of marshmallows, 60 pounds of butter, 80 pounds of dark chocolate, 60 pounds of white chocolate, and 300 pounds of fondant.

The kids enjoyed searching for the 13 hidden Mickeys.

Daddy, do you want to take a picture of me with this headband? Of course I do Alli. Very cute.

We're going to have a lot of fun this season celebrating Halloween Time at Disneyland! Bring on Fall!

Comment

• SanDiegoAl
                MiceChatter

• Jan 2007

I think that Ghirardelli wasn't out of candy samples, I think that they are not giving them out anymore. We were there for two days during the Labor day weekend and they didn't have samples either. SAD
                sigpic

Comment

• whoever
                  Disneyland Dreamer
                  • Aug 2012

Originally posted by mre200200 View Post
                  Thanks Matt! I thought you might enjoy those Nightmare hats. When will your full-size Jack Skellington be coming out at your house?

He's still dressed in his Santa outfit. I'm debating on whether to get him back into Halloween only to redress him as Sandy Claws. I'm considering an Ooogie Boogie accompanyment for him this year.

It's interesting that 40" isn't the same everywhere around the park.
                  Jumpin JellyFish is like 41" Crazy.
                  Matt's 40th Birthday Disneyland Trip. Club 33, Napa Rose, and Adventureland Suite!!! ~~|~~ Katherine's 11th Birthday Dapper Day trip with Club 33 ~~|~~ Matt's Review of the Art of the Craft Tour at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel ~~|~~ My Spring, 2017 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My Fall, 2016 Dapper Day and Club33 Trip Report ~~|~~ My Summer, 2016 Walt's LA tour with Bob Gurr and Marty Skylar ~~|~~ My Summer, 2016 Family Firsts Trip Report ~~|~~ Matt's September, 2015 Solo after the Safari Sunrise Trip Report ~~|~~ World Famous Jungle Cruise Safari Sunrise Premium Experience Trip Report ~~|~~ My February, 2015 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2014 Family Vacation with Mickey's Halloween Party ~~|~~ My September, 2014 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My August, 2014 Solo Trip Report - 1901/C33 Jazz Club ~~|~~ My June, 2014 Solo Trip Report ~~|~~ My February, 2014 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My Epic May, 2013 Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2011 Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2010 Trip Report

Comment

• sbk1234
                    formerly very helpful
                    • Sep 2007

Nobody does Disneyland like you guys!I know you blog, but have you ever thought about trying to get some of your trip reports actually published as a book? Maybe you can sell the idea of a weekly show on The Disney Channel, of the Flowers' adventures through Disneyland.

Seriously, Allie's expression as she's going through the queue of Soaring is absolutely priceless!!
                    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

• Meville
                      I'm from Canada eh!
                      • Nov 2008

Great stuff, thanks for posting!
                      I open a toy, review it and take mediocore pictures. Read all about it HERE!

Originally posted by VintageMouse;n8463446

You know best :-)

Comment

• whoever
                        Disneyland Dreamer
                        • Aug 2012

Originally posted by sbk1234 View Post
                        Nobody does Disneyland like you guys!I know you blog, but have you ever thought about trying to get some of your trip reports actually published as a book? Maybe you can sell the idea of a weekly show on The Disney Channel, of the Flowers' adventures through Disneyland.

Seriously, Allie's expression as she's going through the queue of Soaring is absolutely priceless!!
                        He should get on the weekly podcast on that other Disney website too. Would be great to hear Joe tell what happened at the park this week.
                        Matt's 40th Birthday Disneyland Trip. Club 33, Napa Rose, and Adventureland Suite!!! ~~|~~ Katherine's 11th Birthday Dapper Day trip with Club 33 ~~|~~ Matt's Review of the Art of the Craft Tour at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel ~~|~~ My Spring, 2017 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My Fall, 2016 Dapper Day and Club33 Trip Report ~~|~~ My Summer, 2016 Walt's LA tour with Bob Gurr and Marty Skylar ~~|~~ My Summer, 2016 Family Firsts Trip Report ~~|~~ Matt's September, 2015 Solo after the Safari Sunrise Trip Report ~~|~~ World Famous Jungle Cruise Safari Sunrise Premium Experience Trip Report ~~|~~ My February, 2015 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2014 Family Vacation with Mickey's Halloween Party ~~|~~ My September, 2014 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My August, 2014 Solo Trip Report - 1901/C33 Jazz Club ~~|~~ My June, 2014 Solo Trip Report ~~|~~ My February, 2014 Dapper Day Trip Report ~~|~~ My Epic May, 2013 Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2011 Trip Report ~~|~~ My October, 2010 Trip Report

Comment

• mickdaddy
                          MiceChatter
                          • Dec 2009

SIZE=14px]For sure! I think I'm going to have to temper the big rides with Alli just a little bit. If I just straight into something like Guardians of the Galaxy or Space Mountain, it might be a little too much too quick. I think her next "big" ride is going to be something like the swings and Big Thunder (mostly outdoors).

Any other thoughts on a good introductory big kid ride?
                          [/SIZE]

Time for Part 2![/FONT][/SIZE]
                          I would agree that its best to ease her in, let them be her idea for the more intense ones for now. I think the swings and Big thunder would be great starts you can hold onto her during the ride. Big Thunder was my daughters favorite when she was Alli's age. I would also say Radiator springs racers would be another good options.

Comment

• mre200200
                            Joe Flowers
                            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by SanDiegoAl View Post
                            I think that Ghirardelli wasn't out of candy samples, I think that they are not giving them out anymore. We were there for two days during the Labor day weekend and they didn't have samples either. SAD
                            That's unfortunate. Completely understandable, but still unfortunate.

[/FONT][/SIZE]

He's still dressed in his Santa outfit. I'm debating on whether to get him back into Halloween only to redress him as Sandy Claws. I'm considering an Ooogie Boogie accompanyment for him this year.

Jumpin JellyFish is like 41" Crazy.
                            I think it'd still be appropriate to keep him in his Santa outfit, even for Halloween. Disney does it.
                            A full size Oogie Boogie would be awesome. I'm sure you'll post photos.

Jumpin JellyFish is exactly what I was thinking of. The one at the entrance is way too high. The one further in the queue seems normal, but you have to get past the first one. I still think it's odd to have such a big height limit on what's a very tame ride. Certainly more tame than the 35" Gadget's Go-Coaster.

Originally posted by sbk1234 View Post

I appreciate the thoughts Steven. It might be fun to print a book someday. Those other ideas are a little bit out of my league. But it's fun to dream.

Originally posted by Meville View Post
                            Great stuff, thanks for posting!
                            Of course!

He should get on the weekly podcast on that other Disney website too. Would be great to hear Joe tell what happened at the park this week.
                            That'd be interesting.

Originally posted by mickdaddy View Post

I would agree that its best to ease her in, let them be her idea for the more intense ones for now. I think the swings and Big thunder would be great starts you can hold onto her during the ride. Big Thunder was my daughters favorite when she was Alli's age. I would also say Radiator springs racers would be another good options.
                            Ooh. Radiator Springs Racers sounds perfect. A lot of dark ride mixed with a little bit of thrill. Great suggestion. Don't be surprised to see us riding that Sunday.
                            Ian has really talked up Guardians, so she thinks she wants to go on that... We'll see how long I can last before I cave in.

Comment

• mickdaddy
                              MiceChatter
                              • Dec 2009

Ooh. Radiator Springs Racers sounds perfect. A lot of dark ride mixed with a little bit of thrill. Great suggestion. Don't be surprised to see us riding that Sunday.
                              Ian has really talked up Guardians, so she thinks she wants to go on that... We'll see how long I can last before I cave in.

Hope she loves it, I agree on waiting as long as you can on guardians the drops are pretty intense and even though it is a fun ride I know my son hated it just because the drops were too much for him.

Comment

• kjorgensen43
                                Cal. Cent. Coast'r
                                • May 2008

Thanks for the great report! Let’s ride!

Comment

• Disneylandfan67
                                  MiceChatter
                                  • Jul 2011

Last edited by Disneylandfan67; 11-02-2020, 01:08 PM.
                                  All right, listen! I didn't want to have to do this, but you leave me no choice. Here comes the smolder.

DLR Annual Passholder, Disney nerd
                                  Trip Reports:
                                  From California to Walt Disney World: The Road to Orlando (Coming soon)

Comment

• mre200200
                                    Joe Flowers
                                    • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Disneylandfan67 View Post
                                    40 inches!!! I always see you guys whenever you visit Luigi's and Mater's, and I'm bummed that I missed Alli at Luigi's and Mater's this time. I was at the Collector's fortress this weekend instead. It's always fun when you guys come and dance with the cousins. Although when the time is right, I'm sure I'll see you all at Guardians.
                                    I know right! I'm still working on the write-up from today, but Alli did a bunch of new ones today.
                                    Once again we took a ride with the cousins today and Theresa made the comment that we haven't seen Mark in a little while. Good to know where we can find you, at least with Ian for now.
                                    Have a great week! We'll look for you on Saturday.

Comment

• tensixmom
                                      MiceChatter
                                      • Jul 2012

Such fun as always! The patience you have to create these posts is amazing. Thanks for sharing!
                                      I wish I had a cool signature to insert here, but I don't.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                      Working...
                                      X