Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Marvel Land be Wakanda?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Will Marvel Land be Wakanda?

    I was just listening to an interview with Joe Rhode and they mentioned that he's going to be doing Marvel Land. I thought about an environment that would work for Marvel and be interesting that would interest Joe Rhode. I am starting to think that it's going to be Avatarland part two based on Wakanda from the Black Panther movie. Joe Rhode will probably do tech jungle because historically all his efforts have that style (Mexico Pavilion, Animal Kingdom, Adventurer's Club). I’m now kinda excited about it. They keep the jungle vibe of Bugs Land and add the high tech. Adventureland of DCA.

  • #2
    If they pulled off something to the level Pandora is that would be amazing. Given the short timeline though I am not counting on it.
    These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

    DL 55th BDAY trip report
    My company had a special night at the park
    WdW trip report with WWoHP
    NYE 2011 trip report
    Mice Chat 7th anniversary
    Leap year 24 hour report
    New DCA trip report
    NYE 2012
    HKDL trip report

    Comment


    • #3
      My feeling is that Wakanda itself isn't generalizeable enough for a Marvel land. Even though the climactic scenes from Infinity War are set there, I think it's associated too heavily with just one character.

      Comment


      • #4
        As senior as Joe is, he takes orders from the top like everyone else. He's nowhere near the level on the corporate hierarchy as John was as "Chief Creative Officer," and even he had to fight tooth-and-nail to keep Iger's sharp-pencil boys from slashing the budget on Carsland.

        Given management's belief that it's the brand that draws in the customers, given the budget pressures from the expenditures for Star Wars Land and the Fox acquisition, given Chapek's record of cheapness, and (most importantly) given the years of proof that no matter how cheap and cheesy the offering, the customers will still crowd the DLR in ever-growing numbers, it wouldn't be surprising if management ordered Joe to deliver a "Marvel Land Lite" -- a low-rent combination of painted backdrops, character meets-and-greets, merchandise stores, fast-food restaurants, a parade, maybe a stage play or street theater, and no rides.

        Comparisons to Avatarland don't apply. If it hadn't been for the hands-on involvement and protection of the franchise's owner and creator, James Cameron, you can bet that Joe's marching orders -- and his budget -- would have been very different. Even more so if Avatarland had been greenlit under Chapek instead of Tom Staggs, whose idea it was.

        There is no such heavy-hitter creative in the Company who can demand and get the standards for Marvel Land that Cameron did for Avatarland and Lasseter did for Carsland. And forget about Marvel's execs fighting Iger and Chapek for bigger budgets and higher creative quality -- that's not their gig.

        Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 10-01-2018, 04:34 PM.
        "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
        it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
        together with every variety of recreation and fun,
        designed to appeal to everyone."

        - Walt Disney

        "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
        - Michael Eisner

        "It's very symbiotic."
        - Bob Chapek

        Comment


        • #5
          No, it will be more Avenger Themed....more like an small "city" or Training area than a real location from the movies or comics
          Happy Halloween!!!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
            As senior as Joe is, he takes orders from the top like everyone else. He's nowhere near the level on the corporate hierarchy as John was as "Chief Creative Officer," and even he had to fight tooth-and-nail to keep Iger's sharp-pencil boys from slashing the budget on Carsland.

            Given management's belief that it's the brand that draws in the customers, given the budget pressures from the expenditures for Star Wars Land and the Fox acquisition, given Chapek's record of cheapness, and (most importantly) given the years of proof that no matter how cheap and cheesy the offering, the customers will still crowd the DLR in ever-growing numbers, it wouldn't be surprising if management ordered Joe to deliver a "Marvel Land Lite" -- a low-rent combination of painted backdrops, character meets-and-greets, merchandise stores, fast-food restaurants, a parade, maybe a stage play or street theater, and no rides.

            Comparisons to Avatarland don't apply. If it hadn't been for the hands-on involvement and protection of the franchise's owner and creator, James Cameron, you can bet that Joe's marching orders -- and his budget -- would have been very different. Even more so if Avatarland had been greenlit under Chapek instead of Tom Staggs, whose idea it was.

            There is no such heavy-hitter creative in the Company who can demand and get the standards for Marvel Land that Cameron did for Avatarland and Lasseter did for Carsland. And forget about Marvel's execs fighting Iger and Chapek for bigger budgets and higher creative quality -- that's not their gig.
            This is a very good point. Cameron is notoriously perfectionistic, he would never sign on to something that he felt "cheapened" his vision. He is a director of incredible focus and vision. Lasseter as well had the clout to demand the details. Yet, now we are in the age of Chapek, and that means cheap. I suspect that Marvelland will be a PixarPier level of quality at best.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Golden Zephyr View Post
              Now we are in the age of Chapek, and that means cheap. I suspect that Marvelland will be a PixarPier level of quality at best.
              Chapek=Cheap - Another words, don't expect much
              Soaring like an EAGLE !

              Comment


              • #8
                I just want them to keep the jungle feel of Bugs Land. I can still be cheap. Lots of plant life is not super expensive. I would be sad if they did a copy of Universal's Marvel Land from Florida. I just don't think they will go neon and blacktop... I really don't think it will happen.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by datbates View Post
                  I just want them to keep the jungle feel of Bugs Land. I can still be cheap. Lots of plant life is not super expensive. I would be sad if they did a copy of Universal's Marvel Land from Florida. I just don't think they will go neon and blacktop... I really don't think it will happen.
                  I wouldn't hold my breath on that. I have a feeling they will raze all of that for a more city type of approach. And I think that will be fine just as long as it's better than what they did with IOA. But |OA still has Spider-Man. I can't wait until we see some design work. I'm glad Rhodes is working on it though so that has excited me a bit more.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    For what it's worth, the rumors I've heard have it being like an Avengers training camp. I suppose that could work if done well. Personally, I'm not too excited about it. But maybe my low expectations will allow me to be pleasantly surprised.
                    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

                    No matter where you go, there you are.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I just want them to put in a lot of shade somehow. DCA is already so bare feeling.
                      These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

                      DL 55th BDAY trip report
                      My company had a special night at the park
                      WdW trip report with WWoHP
                      NYE 2011 trip report
                      Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                      Leap year 24 hour report
                      New DCA trip report
                      NYE 2012
                      HKDL trip report

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Co Foo View Post
                        My feeling is that Wakanda itself isn't generalizeable enough for a Marvel land. Even though the climactic scenes from Infinity War are set there, I think it's associated too heavily with just one character.
                        Yep. Any land that is supposed to support the Marvel stories and characters, in general, will likely be a cityscape from the US. Perhaps some part of it or one attraction could represent Wakanda.
                        Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I'm not sure about Wakanada being put in DCA as it is still a "new" franchise. Normally franchises have to wait a few years before getting an attraction in the parks.

                          When it does come, I have a feeling they'll choose Epcot or the Animal Kingdom for a Wakanda land.

                          Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                          There is no such heavy-hitter creative in the Company who can demand and get the standards for Marvel Land that Cameron did for Avatarland and Lasseter did for Carsland. And forget about Marvel's execs fighting Iger and Chapek for bigger budgets and higher creative quality -- that's not their gig.
                          False, I bring you....Kevin Feige.

                          Feige has been the man leading Marvel Studios for the last decade, and has the brought in billions for the company. Feige also doesn't put up with nonsense. Period.

                          When Civil War (Captain America 3) was in production, Feige was dealing with issues from Marvel's CFO Ike Perlmutter and Marvel's "Creative Committee". The issues were so bad he went to IGER, and threatened to quit his Job.
                          Iger upgraded Feige's job, where he only has to report to Disney film head, Alan Horn, eliminating oversight from the committee.

                          So if, Feige hears about a Cheapened Marvel Land compared to the Extravagant Galaxy's Edge, you know heads are going to roll.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Lets not forget about Lassetter also being part of Pixar Pier, he was on stage drunk to announce it in fact and was hollering and screaming about it. So I think he definitely lost the quality and creative touch he had.

                            Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
                            I'm not sure about Wakanada being put in DCA as it is still a "new" franchise. Normally franchises have to wait a few years before getting an attraction in the parks.

                            When it does come, I have a feeling they'll choose Epcot or the Animal Kingdom for a Wakanda land.



                            False, I bring you....Kevin Feige.

                            Feige has been the man leading Marvel Studios for the last decade, and has the brought in billions for the company. Feige also doesn't put up with nonsense. Period.

                            When Civil War (Captain America 3) was in production, Feige was dealing with issues from Marvel's CFO Ike Perlmutter and Marvel's "Creative Committee". The issues were so bad he went to IGER, and threatened to quit his Job.
                            Iger upgraded Feige's job, where he only has to report to Disney film head, Alan Horn, eliminating oversight from the committee.

                            So if, Feige hears about a Cheapened Marvel Land compared to the Extravagant Galaxy's Edge, you know heads are going to roll.
                            Yet he was fine with Guardian's of the Galaxy Mission Breakout? Either he has no pull or does not care about the parks.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Nesboy43 View Post
                              Lets not forget about Lassetter also being part of Pixar Pier, he was on stage drunk to announce it in fact and was hollering and screaming about it. So I think he definitely lost the quality and creative touch he had.
                              Lassetter certainly seemed drunk on stage. I think that may have had to do with foreknowledge of his upcoming shelving because pf his being 'too huggy'. If it was already known that he would soon be dismissed, then all clout he once had was already gone.


                              Originally posted by Nesboy43 View Post
                              Yet <Kevin Feige> was fine with Guardian's of the Galaxy Mission Breakout? Either he has no pull or does not care about the parks.
                              That's a matter of opinion. While the tower now seems to be kind of an eyesore and out of place (more so than the original TOT was) when viewed from other areas of DCA, it is consisted with the appearance of the environment from which it comes (see the junk planet from Thor Ragnarok), so I'm not sure why Kevin Feige would object to it. Also, I think that a lot of people make the appearance out to be a bit worse than it really is, in part because they are upset about it replacing the original which was very popular.
                              Last edited by BiggestDisneyFan; 10-03-2018, 11:29 AM.
                              Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by BiggestDisneyFan View Post

                                Lassetter certainly seemed drunk on stage. I think that may have had to do with foreknowledge of his upcoming shelving because pf his being 'too huggy'. If it was already known that he would soon be dismissed, then all clout he once had was already gone.




                                That's a matter of opinion. While the tower now seems to be kind of an eyesore and out of place (more so than the original TOT was) when viewed from other areas of DCA, it is consisted with the appearance of the environment from which it comes (see the junk planet from Thor Ragnarok), so I'm not sure why Kevin Feige would object to it. Also, I think that a lot of people make the appearance out to be a bit worse than it really is, in part because they are upset about it replacing the original which was very popular.
                                That could be true about Lassetter.

                                In regards to Mission Breakout. I was not referring to the appearance of the ride from the outside, but the ride itself. If Kevin has some big push with Marvel and has control and final say on such things, why is the ride so cheaply made and such a poor experience?

                                Joe Rhode was involved in Breakout as well. If it is anything to go by Marvel Land should be just as cheap. Not that I'm blaming Joe because I know it's not up to him but I'm surprised he doesn't mind attaching his name to such cheap attractions as it makes his career look worsened.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
                                  False, I bring you....Kevin Feige.

                                  Feige has been the man leading Marvel Studios for the last decade, and has the brought in billions for the company. Feige also doesn't put up with nonsense. Period.

                                  When Civil War (Captain America 3) was in production, Feige was dealing with issues from Marvel's CFO Ike Perlmutter and Marvel's "Creative Committee". The issues were so bad he went to IGER, and threatened to quit his Job.
                                  Iger upgraded Feige's job, where he only has to report to Disney film head, Alan Horn, eliminating oversight from the committee.

                                  So if, Feige hears about a Cheapened Marvel Land compared to the Extravagant Galaxy's Edge, you know heads are going to roll.
                                  Sorry, you've got your corporate flow charts confusled. Kevin has input on Marvel properties in Disney Parks, but no final-say authority. If he were to go to Iger and threaten to quit over a Chapek budgetary decision (which he wouldn't), Iger would absolutely stand by Chapek. Don't forget that Kevin, like Marvel, is an acquisition. He came with the Marvel package. Chapek, on the other hand, is home-grown Disney.
                                  "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                  it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                  together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                  designed to appeal to everyone."

                                  - Walt Disney

                                  "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                  - Michael Eisner

                                  "It's very symbiotic."
                                  - Bob Chapek

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Originally posted by Nesboy43 View Post

                                    That could be true about Lassetter.

                                    In regards to Mission Breakout. I was not referring to the appearance of the ride from the outside, but the ride itself. If Kevin has some big push with Marvel and has control and final say on such things, why is the ride so cheaply made and such a poor experience?

                                    Joe Rhode was involved in Breakout as well. If it is anything to go by Marvel Land should be just as cheap. Not that I'm blaming Joe because I know it's not up to him but I'm surprised he doesn't mind attaching his name to such cheap attractions as it makes his career look worsened.

                                    I'm pretty sure by 'cheaply made' you're referring to the building's exterior. I have no argument with that. However, I don't agree with the attraction being a poor experience. I think the ride is at least as fun as the original TZTOT in DCA, and the interior queue seems well designed and thematically rich. Yeah, they could have done more with an entirely new attraction, but considering that they were working with so much that they really couldn't tear out, I think they incorporated the existing interior elements pretty well.
                                    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

                                      Sorry, you've got your corporate flow charts confusled. Kevin has input on Marvel properties in Disney Parks, but no final-say authority. If he were to go to Iger and threaten to quit over a Chapek budgetary decision (which he wouldn't), Iger would absolutely stand by Chapek. Don't forget that Kevin, like Marvel, is an acquisition. He came with the Marvel package. Chapek, on the other hand, is home-grown Disney.
                                      Sorry if you feel that you've heard this question too often, but what evidence do you have that Kevin Feige can't pull his weight in Disney parks like he has with Disney (Marvel) movies? Per your assertions, he couldn't do so because he was brought in as part of an acquisition, but the same is true about Lassetter and look at how much he was able to demand when it came to Cars Land. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'd like to know what evidence you have that makes you confident enough to state this as fact.
                                      Last edited by BiggestDisneyFan; 10-03-2018, 03:12 PM.
                                      Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by BiggestDisneyFan View Post
                                        Sorry if you feel that you've heard this question too often, but what evidence do you have that Kevin Feige can't pull his weight in Disney parks like he has with Disney (Marvel) movies? Per your assertions, he couldn't do so because he was brought in as part of an acquisition, but the same is true about Lassetter and look at how much he was able to demand when it came to Cars Land. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'd like to know what evidence you have that makes you confident enough to state this as fact.
                                        Disney is structured along divisions, job definitions, and lines of authority. "Can't pull his weight in the Parks like he does with the movies" doesn't apply; Feige's job doesn't allow him to demand changes in budget or control the quality of Chapek's parks, any more than Chapek could with Feige's movies.

                                        Lasseter's battle on Carsland has no parallel to Marvel Land (or Star Wars Land). Besides being the creator of Cars, John was the Chief Creative Officer, with authority over everything that had to do with animation, and the Principal Creative Advisor for WDI. Kevin is Studios, an executive producer for Marvel. Now, that's not to imply that he isn't allowed (and required) to give notes on Marvel product in other divisions; synergy and brand consistency are important. But the idea that he would be allowed (even if he wanted) to dictate to Parks on issues of budget and quality -- that he could be to Marvel Land what Lasseter was to Carsland -- is a myth. Chapek calls the shots on Marvel Land (and Star Wars Land), subject to Iger's approval.

                                        Sure, Kevin could call up Iger and tell him privately if he disagrees with Chapek's plans for Marvel Land. But he's a professional and a longtime player in the business. He knows that Chapek and Iger have been together in the same Disney trenches for years. He knows that Chapek is widely touted as Iger's choice to be the next CEO. He knows that Chapek is the Company's top consumer products and brand marketer, and that the purpose of Marvel rides is to promote Marvel brands and Marvel movies. He's not going to risk pissing off the top two executives in the Company in a battle for quality control of a division that isn't his, for a brand that he neither created (as Lasseter did with Cars) nor owns (as Cameron does Avatar).


                                        Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 10-04-2018, 09:33 AM.
                                        "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                        it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                        together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                        designed to appeal to everyone."

                                        - Walt Disney

                                        "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                        - Michael Eisner

                                        "It's very symbiotic."
                                        - Bob Chapek

                                        Comment

                                        Get Away Today Footer

                                        Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X