X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GwenRowan
    replied
    Originally posted by datbates View Post
    I just want them to keep the jungle feel of Bugs Land. I can still be cheap. Lots of plant life is not super expensive. I would be sad if they did a copy of Universal's Marvel Land from Florida. I just don't think they will go neon and blacktop... I really don't think it will happen.
    Bugs land was charming and so creative... it was a pity to lose it
    something similar would be nice, but, probably they want an entirely new look

though, the Paradise pier thing was "remodel light"

Leave a comment:

• mandelbrot
    replied
    Originally posted by Nirya View Post

I think you're selling Kevin Feige incredibly short. Sure he did not create the Marvel Comics brand, but he sheparded it to the point that Disney was willing to pay massive amounts of dollars to bring it into the fold. If Spider-Man, the Avengers, and those characters are Stan Lee's, then the Marvel Cinematic Universe is straight-up the brand that he created and ultimately runs, and it is a massively successful brand for Disney that he has some level of final say over. I don't think he'll be as hands-on as Lasseter was with so many of the Pixar projects in the parks (let's not forget that he was the driving force behind the return of the Subs) but I would think that Feige is keeping tabs on these projects, and would step in if he feels the projects are not consistent with the film universe.
    Lasseter was indeed "hands on". In so many ways.

Leave a comment:

• MrLiver
    replied
    Honesltly, I think Wakanda would be a nice bridge between the older set of Marvel movies and the new set of movies coming out after Infinity War.

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    replied
    Originally posted by Mondo Mouse View Post

Where did you here Rohde say he's the one doing Marvel Land? Can you provide a link to the interview?
    I'd really appreciate it, thanks!
    I have read over a year ago - (not from Mice Chat)
    WDI - has put Joe Rhode in charge of Marvel projects......

Leave a comment:

• BiggestDisneyFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

My apologies for my bad word choice; no condescension was thought when I read your post, nor was it intended in my reply. Re-reading it, though, I can see the condescending tone. I've edited it out.
    Thank you, sincerely.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Wiggins
    replied
    Originally posted by BiggestDisneyFan View Post
    Got it. That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying. That being said, the 'Your concept of the Company's organization chart is in error' comment came across as a bit condescending and really wasn't necessary.
    My apologies for my bad word choice; no condescension was thought when I read your post, nor was it intended in my reply. Re-reading it, though, I can see the condescending tone. I've edited it out.

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 10-04-2018, 10:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• BiggestDisneyFan
    replied

Disney is structured along divisions, job definitions, and lines of authority. "Can't pull his weight in the Parks like he does with the movies" doesn't apply; Feige's job doesn't allow him to demand changes in budget or control the quality of Chapek's parks, any more than Chapek could with Feige's movies.

Lasseter's battle on Carsland has no parallel to Marvel Land (or Star Wars Land). Besides being the creator of Cars, John was the Chief Creative Officer, with authority over everything that had to do with animation, and the Principal Creative Advisor for WDI. Kevin is Studios, an executive producer for Marvel. Now, that's not to imply that he isn't allowed (and required) to give notes on Marvel product in other divisions; synergy and brand consistency are important. But the idea that he would be allowed (even if he wanted) to dictate to Parks on issues of budget and quality -- that he could be to Marvel Land what Lasseter was to Carsland -- is a myth. Chapek calls the shots on Marvel Land (and Star Wars Land), subject to Iger's approval.

Sure, Kevin could call up Iger and tell him privately if he disagrees with Chapek's plans for Marvel Land. But he's a professional and a longtime player in the business. He knows that Chapek and Iger have been together in the same Disney trenches for years. He knows that Chapek is widely touted as Iger's choice to be the next CEO. He knows that Chapek is the Company's top consumer products and brand marketer, and that the purpose of Marvel rides is to promote Marvel brands and Marvel movies. He's not going to risk pissing off the top two executives in the Company in a battle for quality control of a division that isn't his, for a brand that he neither created (as Lasseter did with Cars) nor owns (as Cameron does Avatar).
    Got it. That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.
    Last edited by BiggestDisneyFan; 10-04-2018, 02:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mondo Mouse
    replied
    Originally posted by datbates View Post
    I was just listening to an interview with Joe Rhode and they mentioned that he's going to be doing Marvel Land. I thought about an environment that would work for Marvel and be interesting that would interest Joe Rhode. I am starting to think that it's going to be Avatarland part two based on Wakanda from the Black Panther movie. Joe Rhode will probably do tech jungle because historically all his efforts have that style (Mexico Pavilion, Animal Kingdom, Adventurer's Club). I’m now kinda excited about it. They keep the jungle vibe of Bugs Land and add the high tech. Adventureland of DCA.
    Where did you here Rohde say he's the one doing Marvel Land? Can you provide a link to the interview?
    I'd really appreciate it, thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Mondo Mouse
    replied
    Just for the record... although I think the combination of Chapek's track record and the large amounts of money the Company is spending on other projects and acquisitions make it extremely likely that "Marvel Land" will be a low-rent "Marvel Land Lite," there's no guarantee of that.

It's possible to imagine a scenario where Iger decides to go for top quality, and orders Chapek to bring in a "creative brain trust" of writers, imagineers, and filmmakers, including Kevin Feige, with marching orders to design and build a Marvel Land that will blow Star Wars Land away -- and gives them a budget to match. Iger's motive? Maybe to poke a finger in Uni's eye. Maybe to give Chapek experience in managing a team of creative wild horses, a skill that wouldn't hurt for him to have as CEO. Maybe to retire in a blaze of glory as having greenlit a project that no one will be able to top for decades.

Far-fetched, yes. But theoretically not impossible.
    I know Disney spent/is spending a ton of coin on Galaxy's Edge (both of them), and that the Fox acquisition will use up a lot of the company's cash, but I just can't see them doing a weak job on Marvel in the park. Considering the overwhelming success of the brand, considering they're gonna need something HUGE to balance the crowds out (as much as they can) between the two parks after GE, and considering that Universal has its own Marvel area at Islands of Adventure...I think Disney kinda has to and will do a pretty solid job with Marvel Land.

If the pendulum Spider-Man attraction is still on, that is a pretty good start. I've read on WDWMagic's forum that the Avengers coaster is was nixed by management due to capacity issues (they said the same may be true for Spidey). In any case I just feel that the Marvel films, their characters, and the brand as a whole, not to mention the lack of new/original area and rides based on them (Guardians is more of an overlay obviously) warrant a kick- land. Now I know that what's deserved and wanted does not necessarily equal what Chapek and the bean counters will authorize, but I truly think in this case we'll get something pretty legit.

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    replied
    Disney Possible would like - to outdo Universe......with top quality Marvel brand attraction !
    Far-fetched, yes. But theoretically not impossible

Leave a comment:

• Mr Wiggins
    replied
    Just for the record... although I think the combination of Chapek's track record and the large amounts of money the Company is spending on other projects and acquisitions make it extremely likely that "Marvel Land" will be a low-rent "Marvel Land Lite," there's no guarantee of that.

It's possible to imagine a scenario where Iger decides to go for top quality, and orders Chapek to bring in a "creative brain trust" of writers, imagineers, and filmmakers, including Kevin Feige, with marching orders to design and build a Marvel Land that will blow Star Wars Land away -- and gives them a budget to match. Iger's motive? Maybe to poke a finger in Uni's eye. Maybe to give Chapek experience in managing a team of creative wild horses, a skill that wouldn't hurt for him to have as CEO. Maybe to retire in a blaze of glory as having greenlit a project that no one will be able to top for decades.

Far-fetched, yes. But theoretically not impossible.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Wiggins
    replied
    Originally posted by Fctiger View Post
    To be honest I think you could be over thinking it a bit. He may care or not at all. He never struck me as Lasseter who seems to be in love with the theme park operation as the films. Would he even have any input in the new land? I mean yeah he runs the MOVIE studio side of Marvel but he doesn't run all of it either. I'm guessing the land will be based on the films but it doesn't mean he will directly be involved in it. People like Cameron, Lucas, Lasseter, etc were because it was based on material they created directly. It's not the case with Feige so he may have very little input if at all.
    Exactly. People tend to think of Disney as a much bigger version of the studio structure that existed in Walt's day. It's not. In some ways it's a conglomeration of individual companies that share brands but have their own executives, budgets, and internal variations on the overall Disney culture. Burbank is over it all, of course. But "Disney" isn't a monolithic entity. No matter how much Feige personally cared about the quality of Marvel Land, protesting Chapek's decisions would be a massive breach of protocol -- an insult to Chapek and indirectly to Iger, who promoted Chapek, is responsible for his Park decisions, and is rumored to be grooming him for CEO. Feige battling other Marvel Studio execs, fine -- that's his turf. But stepping onto Chapek's turf and battling for an improved Marvel Land is something that only a novice would contemplate. And Kevin Feige is no novice.

Leave a comment:

• Fctiger
    replied
    Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
    I'm not sure about Wakanada being put in DCA as it is still a "new" franchise. Normally franchises have to wait a few years before getting an attraction in the parks.

When it does come, I have a feeling they'll choose Epcot or the Animal Kingdom for a Wakanda land.

False, I bring you....Kevin Feige.

Feige has been the man leading Marvel Studios for the last decade, and has the brought in billions for the company. Feige also doesn't put up with nonsense. Period.

When Civil War (Captain America 3) was in production, Feige was dealing with issues from Marvel's CFO Ike Perlmutter and Marvel's "Creative Committee". The issues were so bad he went to IGER, and threatened to quit his Job.
    Iger upgraded Feige's job, where he only has to report to Disney film head, Alan Horn, eliminating oversight from the committee.

So if, Feige hears about a Cheapened Marvel Land compared to the Extravagant Galaxy's Edge, you know heads are going to roll.
    To be honest I think you could be over thinking it a bit. He may care or not at all. He never struck me as Lasseter who seems to be in love with the theme park operation as the films. Would he even have any input in the new land? I mean yeah he runs the MOVIE studio side of Marvel but he doesn't run all of it either. I'm guessing the land will be based on the films but it doesn't mean he will directly be involved in it. People like Cameron, Lucas, Lasseter, etc were because it was based on material they created directly. It's not the case with Feige so he may have very little input if at all.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Wiggins
    replied
    Originally posted by Nirya View Post
    I think you're selling Kevin Feige incredibly short. Sure he did not create the Marvel Comics brand, but he sheparded it to the point that Disney was willing to pay massive amounts of dollars to bring it into the fold. If Spider-Man, the Avengers, and those characters are Stan Lee's, then the Marvel Cinematic Universe is straight-up the brand that he created and ultimately runs, and it is a massively successful brand for Disney that he has some level of final say over. I don't think he'll be as hands-on as Lasseter was with so many of the Pixar projects in the parks (let's not forget that he was the driving force behind the return of the Subs) but I would think that Feige is keeping tabs on these projects, and would step in if he feels the projects are not consistent with the film universe.
    Again, it's not about "selling Kevin Feige short." It's simply the reality that no movie producer working for Disney has the authority to demand bigger budgets and greater creativity on Chapek's projects, any more than Capek could do the same on the producer's movie projects.

Leave a comment:

• Nirya
    replied

Your concept of the Company's organization chart is in error. Disney is structured along divisions, job definitions, and lines of authority. "Can't pull his weight in the Parks like he does with the movies" doesn't apply; Feige's job doesn't allow him to demand changes in budget or control the quality of Chapek's parks, any more than Chapek could with Feige's movies.

Lasseter's battle on Carsland has no parallel to Marvel Land (or Star Wars Land). Besides being the creator of Cars, John was the Chief Creative Officer, with authority over everything that had to do with animation, and the Principal Creative Advisor for WDI. Kevin is Studios, an executive producer for Marvel. Now, that's not to imply that he isn't allowed (and required) to give notes on Marvel product in other divisions; synergy and brand consistency are important. But the idea that he would be allowed (even if he wanted) to dictate to Parks on issues of budget and quality -- that he could be to Marvel Land what Lasseter was to Carsland -- is a myth. Chapek calls the shots on Marvel Land (and Star Wars Land), subject to Iger's approval.

Sure, Kevin could call up Iger and tell him privately if he disagrees with Chapek's plans for Marvel Land. But he's a professional and a longtime player in the business. He knows that Chapek and Iger have been together in the same Disney trenches for years. He knows that Chapek is widely touted as Iger's choice to be the next CEO. He knows that Chapek is the Company's top consumer products and brand marketer, and that the purpose of Marvel rides is to promote Marvel brands and Marvel movies. He's not going to risk pissing off the top two executives in the Company in a battle for quality control of a division that isn't his, for a brand that he neither created (as Lasseter did with Cars) nor owns (as Cameron does Avatar).

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    replied
    Personal opinion -Disney California Adventure , is just another Amusement Park.
    I feel at this point - I suspect that Marve land will be a PixarPier Cheap level of quality at best........

The Tower is a eyesore, worst now as Mission Breakout than TOT.
    It just a ride that goes "UP" DOWN "UP" DOWN and Weeeeeeee.....
    IMO

Leave a comment:

• Mr Wiggins
    replied
    Originally posted by BiggestDisneyFan View Post
    Sorry if you feel that you've heard this question too often, but what evidence do you have that Kevin Feige can't pull his weight in Disney parks like he has with Disney (Marvel) movies? Per your assertions, he couldn't do so because he was brought in as part of an acquisition, but the same is true about Lassetter and look at how much he was able to demand when it came to Cars Land. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'd like to know what evidence you have that makes you confident enough to state this as fact.
    Disney is structured along divisions, job definitions, and lines of authority. "Can't pull his weight in the Parks like he does with the movies" doesn't apply; Feige's job doesn't allow him to demand changes in budget or control the quality of Chapek's parks, any more than Chapek could with Feige's movies.

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 10-04-2018, 10:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• BiggestDisneyFan
    replied

Sorry, you've got your corporate flow charts confusled. Kevin has input on Marvel properties in Disney Parks, but no final-say authority. If he were to go to Iger and threaten to quit over a Chapek budgetary decision (which he wouldn't), Iger would absolutely stand by Chapek. Don't forget that Kevin, like Marvel, is an acquisition. He came with the Marvel package. Chapek, on the other hand, is home-grown Disney.
    Sorry if you feel that you've heard this question too often, but what evidence do you have that Kevin Feige can't pull his weight in Disney parks like he has with Disney (Marvel) movies? Per your assertions, he couldn't do so because he was brought in as part of an acquisition, but the same is true about Lassetter and look at how much he was able to demand when it came to Cars Land. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'd like to know what evidence you have that makes you confident enough to state this as fact.
    Last edited by BiggestDisneyFan; 10-03-2018, 04:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BiggestDisneyFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Nesboy43 View Post

That could be true about Lassetter.

In regards to Mission Breakout. I was not referring to the appearance of the ride from the outside, but the ride itself. If Kevin has some big push with Marvel and has control and final say on such things, why is the ride so cheaply made and such a poor experience?

Joe Rhode was involved in Breakout as well. If it is anything to go by Marvel Land should be just as cheap. Not that I'm blaming Joe because I know it's not up to him but I'm surprised he doesn't mind attaching his name to such cheap attractions as it makes his career look worsened.

I'm pretty sure by 'cheaply made' you're referring to the building's exterior. I have no argument with that. However, I don't agree with the attraction being a poor experience. I think the ride is at least as fun as the original TZTOT in DCA, and the interior queue seems well designed and thematically rich. Yeah, they could have done more with an entirely new attraction, but considering that they were working with so much that they really couldn't tear out, I think they incorporated the existing interior elements pretty well.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Wiggins
    replied
    Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
    False, I bring you....Kevin Feige.

Feige has been the man leading Marvel Studios for the last decade, and has the brought in billions for the company. Feige also doesn't put up with nonsense. Period.

When Civil War (Captain America 3) was in production, Feige was dealing with issues from Marvel's CFO Ike Perlmutter and Marvel's "Creative Committee". The issues were so bad he went to IGER, and threatened to quit his Job.
    Iger upgraded Feige's job, where he only has to report to Disney film head, Alan Horn, eliminating oversight from the committee.

So if, Feige hears about a Cheapened Marvel Land compared to the Extravagant Galaxy's Edge, you know heads are going to roll.
    Sorry, you've got your corporate flow charts confusled. Kevin has input on Marvel properties in Disney Parks, but no final-say authority. If he were to go to Iger and threaten to quit over a Chapek budgetary decision (which he wouldn't), Iger would absolutely stand by Chapek. Don't forget that Kevin, like Marvel, is an acquisition. He came with the Marvel package. Chapek, on the other hand, is home-grown Disney.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X