Announcement

Collapse
See more
See less

Overcrowding complaints at Disneyland is nothing new.

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Overcrowding complaints at Disneyland is nothing new.

    I found this clip from a Bob Hope special from 1976. I am guessing this was his 4th of July special. Go to 0:56 where he mentions the overcrowding at Disneyland. Seems this has always been an issue!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMZCWGyk388

  • #2
    It's all relative, though, isn't it? Back then I remember that having to wait 40 minutes for one of the 'big rides' was considered 'crazy long'. Now you wait longer than that for PP or Alice.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

    Comment


    • #3
      It's relative. Crowds are increasing. That alone, not much we can do. But if waits are increasing because of unnecessary staff cuts or reducing capacity, that's a problem.

      Comment


      • #4
        Doesn't help they take offerings out without replacing them. Closing attractions for fireworks doesn't help either. Forces people into the general areas together. One thing they should have done to address this while they carved up space for SWGE was asa another attraction to critter country or beefed up Pooh.
        These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

        DL 55th BDAY trip report
        My company had a special night at the park
        WdW trip report with WWoHP
        NYE 2011 trip report
        Mice Chat 7th anniversary
        Leap year 24 hour report
        New DCA trip report
        NYE 2012
        HKDL trip report

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by biggsworth View Post
          Doesn't help they take offerings out without replacing them. Closing attractions for fireworks doesn't help either. Forces people into the general areas together. One thing they should have done to address this while they carved up space for SWGE was asa another attraction to critter country or beefed up Pooh.
          Indeed.
          2 ways I can think of to help:

          -Bring the Peoplemover back (gets 3500 people an hour off the ground) and put the Rocket Jets back on top (open up the TL entrance)
          -Put something in the Fantastia Gardens section... it can be a ride, it can be a themed walk-through (like the Alice-themed maze in DLP), it still gets people off the walkways

          Comment


          • #6
            When I tell people I went to Disneyland I've always heard the same thing:
            1) Isn't it too hot
            2) Isn't it too crowded

            This has never changed.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by HiddenMickey87 View Post

              Indeed.
              2 ways I can think of to help:

              -Bring the Peoplemover back (gets 3500 people an hour off the ground) and put the Rocket Jets back on top (open up the TL entrance)
              -Put something in the Fantastia Gardens section... it can be a ride, it can be a themed walk-through (like the Alice-themed maze in DLP), it still gets people off the walkways
              Redoing the motor boat area to Frozen would be a great addition too. If they did it right you could put in a new attraction and a Arendale village with meet and greet and food offerings. It would look nice with the Matterhorn in the area. You would need to cut into Autopia and maybe re- route the monorail but the payoff would be awesome.

              Your other suggestions have been way over do. The PM should be brought back in some form. It really is a people eater. The perspective visitors got from the attention was pretty cool. I always thought you could potentially put a new version of Autopia in the peoplemovers place somehow. Cars start on the ground and the you take a road trip through TL even on elevated roads.
              These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

              DL 55th BDAY trip report
              My company had a special night at the park
              WdW trip report with WWoHP
              NYE 2011 trip report
              Mice Chat 7th anniversary
              Leap year 24 hour report
              New DCA trip report
              NYE 2012
              HKDL trip report

              Comment


              • #8
                Overcrowding has always been an issue, but I think the difference is that now it happens on MOST days of the year. When I was a kid, I'd expect it to be insane during the summer or a holiday, but there was an off season. Now, that off season is really a thing of the past.

                DL Trips: '78, '84, '89, '90, '91, '96, '03, '06, '07(x2), '08, '10(x2), '12, '14, '15, '16, '17, '18
                DW Trips: '08
                International parks: Some day...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Plus, we could go during the off-season - not an off-day or an off-few hours. I’ve been visiting Disneyland since 1969 and it is always crowded. Those of us who were there during those times aren’t making it up.
                  Jim in Merced CA - former cast member at Walt Disney World, Walt Disney Imagineering and Disneyland.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Overcrowding is a relative term. We all have our own opinions of what overcrowded is. I think we can all agree that there are more guests in the park than there ever was before and that there is really no off-season anymore. But, is it really overcrowded if they haven't reached capacity? Asking for a friend...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Yes, it can still be overcrowded if they haven't reached capacity. Don't forget, overcrowding not only increases wait times (= less attractions for you), it also tramples the quaintness of the park.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Overcrowding has gotten worst.........

                        and increases wait times - always been an issue IMO
                        Unnecessary staff cuts does not help and going really get bad with SW/GE !
                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Fast Pass also throws a huge number of guests out in the walkways - making it even more crowded.
                          Jim in Merced CA - former cast member at Walt Disney World, Walt Disney Imagineering and Disneyland.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by biggsworth View Post

                            Redoing the motor boat area to Frozen would be a great addition too. If they did it right you could put in a new attraction and a Arendale village with meet and greet and food offerings. It would look nice with the Matterhorn in the area. You would need to cut into Autopia and maybe re- route the monorail but the payoff would be awesome.

                            Your other suggestions have been way over do. The PM should be brought back in some form. It really is a people eater. The perspective visitors got from the attention was pretty cool. I always thought you could potentially put a new version of Autopia in the peoplemovers place somehow. Cars start on the ground and the you take a road trip through TL even on elevated roads.

                            I agree with all your points. PM really needs to come back and the old Motor Boat Cruise area would be idea for some sort of new attraction.

                            The other major problem areas or wastes of space in DL are:

                            The Magic-Eye/3D theater which is used as a trailer preview now
                            Old Starcade location
                            Carousel building. As soon as Galaxy's Edge opens this should either be torn down to make way for a new attraction or bring it back as a rotating carousel attraction (yes, I know the rumor is the tracks were filled with concrete so it won't rotate anymore).
                            Remove the old Videopolis/FL theater. It sits empty most days and at night. That area is big enough to house a really good dark ride. Frozen could definitely go there


                            Tomorrowland also really needs a nice sit-down restaurant. Maybe put that in the Starcade or 3D theater location? Or in the area of the carousel theater if it is ever demolished along with an attraction.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by DarthBrett78 View Post


                              I agree with all your points. PM really needs to come back and the old Motor Boat Cruise area would be idea for some sort of new attraction.

                              The other major problem areas or wastes of space in DL are:

                              The Magic-Eye/3D theater which is used as a trailer preview now
                              Old Starcade location
                              Carousel building. As soon as Galaxy's Edge opens this should either be torn down to make way for a new attraction or bring it back as a rotating carousel attraction (yes, I know the rumor is the tracks were filled with concrete so it won't rotate anymore).
                              Remove the old Videopolis/FL theater. It sits empty most days and at night. That area is big enough to house a really good dark ride. Frozen could definitely go there


                              Tomorrowland also really needs a nice sit-down restaurant. Maybe put that in the Starcade or 3D theater location? Or in the area of the carousel theater if it is ever demolished along with an attraction.
                              For the sit down to me a no brainier is to bring the space themed restaurant from EPCOT they are building to here.
                              These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

                              DL 55th BDAY trip report
                              My company had a special night at the park
                              WdW trip report with WWoHP
                              NYE 2011 trip report
                              Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                              Leap year 24 hour report
                              New DCA trip report
                              NYE 2012
                              HKDL trip report

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                I've been going since the early 70's and even as a young kid I remember hearing my parents complain about the crowds back then. It is all relative. I even remember feeling it was crowded but a group of us as teens could run around the park full sprint without so much as grazing another person. Try running 15 feet now and your bond to collide with somebody.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  No No No....this is different we had an off season just ten years ago. Its been gone for the last few after Carsland came in.
                                  Disney Litterally gave tickets out around then because they were doing fine but wanted more people...can you see them in this environment giving people even tickets at 50% off?


                                  Happy Halloween!!!

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    I can tell you that when I was a kid, even during the summer, walking through Disneyland wasn't like wading through a pool of people. Yes, it was a lot more crowded on some days than others, but overall it was considerably less packed than it is now. And there were slow days, even as recently as in the 1990s. I remember going on a Thursday, with my wife (fiancé, at the time) and it was great. Walking down the sidewalk didn't require dodging other people and waits were pretty reasonable. Of course, waits for the really popular attractions were still longer. I think there is a mentality people get when Disneyland isn't too crowded, that lines must be shorter for big rides, so people still pile into lines for the more popular attractions, so that might normally be 1 hour long only drop to maybe 45 minutes. (It's on rainy weekdays in the spring or fall when even the big E-tickets may be basically walk-on.)
                                    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Now, Off season is really a thing of the past.
                                      IMO-Once Galaxy's Edge open , it going be a :Mad House:...Every Day
                                      for long while...........
                                      In the 70's,it could get bad....But the park is noting like the crowds of TODAY !
                                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        I don't think Bob was referring to "Crowds" as "overcrowding". Just in the generic sense that you would find in a typical popular setting.
                                        Last edited by stovk; 10-21-2018, 03:15 PM.

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X