Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overcrowding complaints at Disneyland is nothing new.

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stovk View Post
    I don't think Bob was referring to "Crowds" as "overcrowding". Just in the generic sense that you would find in a typical popular setting.
    Good Point.........I think your right !
    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

To be honest I remember vividly the first time I took my kids about 5 years ago, November 2013 and I can clearly remember it feeling about 20% less crowded then it was when I went this past Saturday. However I also feel it was 20% less crowded feeling this past Sat. then it was all year during the 60th. I think there may be a about 9-16months of the crowd levels we saw during the 60th after SWGE opens but I am still curious how it will effect the rest of the park as many guest wedge themselves into SWGE for the most of the day.

Comment

It was definitely slower in 2013. Went twice; normal crowds. I think 2015 is when the madness began.

Comment

I worked at the park in the mid-80's and there definitely was an off season then. However during the summer the crowding was just as bad as it is now. The difference is I think more about how people live vs. real change. First off remember back then it was far cheaper to get into the park, so in theory it was more accessible even for locals. Having said that people back then had different attitudes about money and spending it on leisure activities, they didn't just go spend wildly like people do now, they actually had money in saving accounts. Also typically people went on vacation in the summer,now that's still true but more people try to do vacations at other times of the year to avoid summer crowds. Of course doing that causes crowds at other times of the year and oh BTW there are just more people in the world now, a lot more. In addition they are more people from countries that want to visit the US than couldn't in the 70's, 80's and even early 90's. Those countries have different customs for when they take vacation too. If you add all of this up it means that while summer is still the most crowded if flows over to the rest of the year as well.

Don't forget until 1985 Disneyland actually closed on most Monday's and Tuesday's during the off season. Can you imagine that? I worked only the second time (up to that point) that they had to close the park because it hit capacity. That was in 1985 I think and it was insane but honestly a lot of the insanity was caused by the fact that we just didn't plan for it and couldn't move people through at the levels they can now. Yes there were more rides then that could take off capacity but the paths through the park were narrower and there were less shortcuts. I remember walking out from backstage into New Orleans Square and I couldn't see a break in the crowd from Riverbelle to the Haunted Mansion. I haven't gone during the summer in years but I don't think I've ever had that feeling since then.

Comment

yep
            Originally posted by John Miller View Post
            I worked at the park in the mid-80's and there definitely was an off season then. However during the summer the crowding was just as bad as it is now. The difference is I think more about how people live vs. real change. First off remember back then it was far cheaper to get into the park, so in theory it was more accessible even for locals. Having said that people back then had different attitudes about money and spending it on leisure activities, they didn't just go spend wildly like people do now, they actually had money in saving accounts. Also typically people went on vacation in the summer,now that's still true but more people try to do vacations at other times of the year to avoid summer crowds. Of course doing that causes crowds at other times of the year and oh BTW there are just more people in the world now, a lot more. In addition they are more people from countries that want to visit the US than couldn't in the 70's, 80's and even early 90's. Those countries have different customs for when they take vacation too. If you add all of this up it means that while summer is still the most crowded if flows over to the rest of the year as well.

Don't forget until 1985 Disneyland actually closed on most Monday's and Tuesday's during the off season. Can you imagine that? I worked only the second time (up to that point) that they had to close the park because it hit capacity. That was in 1985 I think and it was insane but honestly a lot of the insanity was caused by the fact that we just didn't plan for it and couldn't move people through at the levels they can now. Yes there were more rides then that could take off capacity but the paths through the park were narrower and there were less shortcuts. I remember walking out from backstage into New Orleans Square and I couldn't see a break in the crowd from Riverbelle to the Haunted Mansion. I haven't gone during the summer in years but I don't think I've ever had that feeling since then.
            Thank You for Sharing....
            We going see a New Kind of Madness began with the open SW/GE open !
            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

The most crowded Disneyland has been when I was there was New Years Eve, 1997. It was insane.
              "Have I gone mad?"
              "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. "

Comment

December 31, 1999. I was reluctantly there (with a now very ex-girlfriend) to bring in the year 2000...beyond insanity.

Comment

In the mid 80s were people standing in lines for hours for merchandise? I don't remember.

Comment

Originally posted by HiddenMickey87 View Post
                    In the mid 80s were people standing in lines for hours for merchandise? I don't remember.
                    No. I don't remember ever seeing long lines at any vendor or store, back then. Even attraction lines weren't that bad. I remember standing in line for and hour, for Space Mountain, and that was considered pretty extreme.
                    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

Comment

Of course Disneyland has been far more crowded on special occasions, like New Years Eve or Independence Day, regardless of the year.
                      Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

Comment

Originally posted by BiggestDisneyFan View Post

No. I don't remember ever seeing long lines at any vendor or store, back then. Even attraction lines weren't that bad. I remember standing in line for and hour, for Space Mountain, and that was considered pretty extreme.
                        Gotcha. Given the CM's statement that spending habits were different back then, this makes sense.
                        What about at regular stores -- say, for a popular video game or toy, or on Black Friday?

Comment

Originally posted by HiddenMickey87 View Post

Gotcha. Given the CM's statement that spending habits were different back then, this makes sense.
                          What about at regular stores -- say, for a popular video game or toy, or on Black Friday?
                          That I couldn’t comment on. I don’t partake of traditional Black Friday shopping or line up to purchase popular items. If I want it, I’ll wait until it’s readily available in store or order it online.
                          Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

Comment

Originally posted by BiggestDisneyFan View Post
                            Exactly. In the decades before Eisner, area managers and even some leads had the authority -- and were encouraged -- to put on additional staff in attractions, merch, food, and custodial to cope with additional crowds. With the advent of Eisner, the mandate was to cut staff to save money, regardless of crowd size. Frontline management learned that requesting additional staff for additional crowds would label them as "not a team player." Hence the common Eisner/Iger-era practice of keeping cash registers unstaffed in food and merch locations, running fewer ride vehicles and trams, scheduling fewer custodial CMs, and "robbing Peter to pay Paul" when staffing for crowd control.
                            Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 10-23-2018, 09:31 PM.
                            "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                            it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                            together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                            designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                            - Michael Eisner

Comment

^Definitely saw that in the hotels too!

Comment

Grad Nite 1977, Space Mountain had just opened, waited from 3:30AM til 5:30AM, ride broke down, so we just headed for the bus at that point.
                                I also remember the early days of Indiana Jones. The lines went down main street.
                                Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
                                Mark Twain

Comment

This last Saturday 10/27/2018 it was super crowded. The haunted mansion had a 2 1/2 hour standby time. Why would someone wait 2 1/2 hours to ride a 7 minute ride? What was worse is that for a brief time they closed the ride and all those people who were waiting lost their spot. I talked to some Cast Members and they said this was the busiest they have seen in a while. They attributed to the fact that the Halloween decorations were coming down after Halloween.

Comment

Originally posted by hhsdc34 View Post
                                    This last Saturday 10/27/2018 it was super crowded. The haunted mansion had a 2 1/2 hour standby time. Why would someone wait 2 1/2 hours to ride a 7 minute ride? What was worse is that for a brief time they closed the ride and all those people who were waiting lost their spot. I talked to some Cast Members and they said this was the busiest they have seen in a while. They attributed to the fact that the Halloween decorations were coming down after Halloween.
                                    Haunted Mansion Holiday Nightmare-The Nightmare Before Christmas- Overlay !
                                    last to long (September through early January)
                                    Or do mean Halloween decorations over the rest of the park ?
                                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Overcrowding has gotten worst.........
                                      and increases wait times for attractions &rides ,with FP or not - Food area - always been an issue IMO
                                      Once Galaxy's Edge open , it going be a :Mad House:...Every Day
                                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by hhsdc34 View Post
                                        No clue, but people just do. They also do it for merchandise as well.

Personally, 99% of the time I never wait more than 20 minutes for any attraction; 40 max and only in a few circumstances.

Comment

Because of unnecessary staff cuts and reducing capacity,
                                          That's add to "overcrowding" problem.
                                          Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Working...
                                          X