Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overcrowding complaints at Disneyland is nothing new.

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The cuts in staff would explain the bizarre way the lines were laid out. Usually Disney is good on serpentining the line back and forth. The way the lines went for the Haunted Mansion seemed to meander. This was causing problems with us getting to the train or the bathrooms near the station.

Comment

Off season is really a thing of the past.
      Today practice of keeping cash registers unstaffed in food and merch locations,
      running fewer ride vehicles and trams, scheduling fewer custodial.
      "overcrowding" company is making and saving more money !
      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by hhsdc34 View Post
        The cuts in staff would explain the bizarre way the lines were laid out. Usually Disney is good on serpentining the line back and forth. The way the lines went for the Haunted Mansion seemed to meander. This was causing problems with us getting to the train or the bathrooms near the station.
        Which way did the lines go? Explain further please.

"And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

Comment

This was a picture I took near the New Orleans Station. It seemed as if the line went Hither and Dither. What was worse was the line to the right is the Pirate's line which began to meander into the Haunted Mansion line.
          Last edited by hhsdc34; 11-06-2018, 02:59 PM.

Comment

This was a picture I took near the New Orleans Station. It seemed as if the line went Hither and Dither. What was worse was the to the right the Pirate's line began to meander into the Haunted Mansion line.
            Managing ever-changing queue lengths on crowded days is labor-intensive. So is deploying additional parking lot trams, ride vehicles, and cash register stations in stores and restaurants. The sad reality is that management refuses to spend the money. Nor do they have to, so long as the customers, by voting with their wallets, send a loud signal to management that skimping on CM staffing is totally fine. They eagerly patronize a business where every year the management charges higher prices for lesser service, and laughs all the way to the bank.
            "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
            it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
            together with every variety of recreation and fun,
            designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
            - Michael Eisner

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Managing ever-changing queue lengths on crowded days is labor-intensive. So is deploying additional parking lot trams, ride vehicles, and cash register stations in stores and restaurants. The sad reality is that management refuses to spend the money. Nor do they have to, so long as the customers, by voting with their wallets, send a loud signal to management that skimping on CM staffing is totally fine. They eagerly patronize a business where every year the management charges higher prices for lesser service, and laughs all the way to the bank.
              Once in the Park it is every men (or women) for there self !
              "overcrowding"
              Of course , Disney does have, upcharge/CA$H GRAB service......... make one feel better.......

Practice of keeping cash registers unstaffed in food and merch locations,
              running fewer ride vehicles and trams, scheduling fewer custodial.
              "overcrowding" company is making and saving more money !

IMO customers, needs start voting with their wallets.......
              Last edited by Eagleman; 11-06-2018, 04:38 PM.
              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Why does the default response to just about everything revert to the typical "Management is cheap" or "They are just there to make a buck". Where the inevitable comments get posted about cutting things such as Ride Vehicles, Cash Registers and Parking lot trams. While I know this is the standard goto for many, the last time I checked the HM didn't go to the Parking Lot and it is pretty much impossible to remove a few Doom Buggies from service. So not exactly sure how this standard comment applies.

No, I didn't forget about the Queue. We don't have a wider picture, but from that angle at the back of the queue seems fairly well "managed"...long...but managed. The lines appear to go "Hither and Dither" for the HM because of the current landscaping, fountains, and pathways.

Disney could give us a more organized "structured" queue in very short order. Just think of how managed and orderly the queue could be with that huge green space and fountain being removed. They could just rip out those fences and fountain and pave right over the grass and you would open up a lot of extra space..right?

Oh Memories do seem to be short, as just a few weeks ago there was a huge outrage when Disney removed some planters from in front of the HM. One can only imagine the reaction something like this suggestion would get.

But Perhaps I am missing how the line is a result of the staffing. The HM has 2 Elevators and Doom Buggies on on Omnimover system. As a serious question here, by inferring that staffing is somehow the reason for the queue, if they hypothetically doubled the staffing level would that change how they laid out the queue? Would double the staff somehow magically make the elevators and Doom Buggies move quicker?

Comment

Originally posted by DLMountainFan View Post
                  Why does the default response to just about everything revert to the typical "Management is cheap" or "They are just there to make a buck". Where the inevitable comments get posted about cutting things such as Ride Vehicles, Cash Registers and Parking lot trams.
                  The answer to your question is that management is there to make a buck (Disney is a business); and slashing budgets, minimizing staffing, reducing services, and lowering standards of customer service in order to increase profits has been their default response since Pressler's day. The only way each new generation of management can advance up the corporate ladder is by finding new ways to cut budgets, reduce services, and increase profits.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

Comment

No, I didn't forget about the Queue. We don't have a wider picture, but from that angle at the back of the queue seems fairly well "managed"...long...but managed. The lines appear to go "Hither and Dither" for the HM because of the current landscaping, fountains, and pathways.
                    Sorry if I didn't have a better picture, but usually the goal is to get the least amount of strangers in your picture. To me it seemed like chaos. The few cast members trying to setup the queue seemed that they were fighting a losing battle. The mass of people made it nearly impossible to determine how you were supposed to get around the queue. We didn't want to go to the Haunted Mansion, but to the Rail Road Station. It took a good five minutes to find the space between the Pirates Queue and the HM Queue. There were no cast members to help you. Let's face it, if it weren't for the Christmas Overlay HM is pretty much a walk on. When I had dinner at the Rancho Del Zocalo that night (30 minute wait to order the tacos) I talked to a cast member and asked if this was normal. She said "No, but because this was the last Saturday before Halloween all the pass holders come to the park before they take down the decorations for Halloween". Another clear example of reducing the amount of employee's was the big push for APP ordering. When I ordered a Dole Whip at Tiki it seemed to be more of a way to not have a cashier rather than preordering. I ordered, waited in line, when I got to the front the cast member asked for my number, then they got my order. It wasn't like the order was there for me to pick up, but more of a way to remove the person taking the cash.

Comment

...When I ordered a Dole Whip at Tiki it seemed to be more of a way to not have a cashier rather than preordering. I ordered, waited in line, when I got to the front the cast member asked for my number, then they got my order. It wasn't like the order was there for me to pick up, but more of a way to remove the person taking the cash.
                      Exactly. "Self-service apps" put the work on the customer and lighten the labor costs for Disney. The Company pockets the profits while spinning the PR myth that fewer employees is "for the benefit of our customers."

And they continue to raise prices.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

Comment

The answer to your question is that management is there to make a buck (Disney is a business); and slashing budgets, minimizing staffing, reducing services, and lowering standards of customer service in order to increase profits has been their default response since Pressler's day. The only way each new generation of management can advance up the corporate ladder is by finding new ways to cut budgets, reduce services, and increase profits.
                        Perhaps then you can answer the other part of the post as well. If they hypothetically doubled the CM's at the Haunted Mansion change in any way how they laid out the HM Queue? With the HM already running both Elevators and the Doom Buggies being a constant, would that some how add capacity to the HM?. It's fine if the answer is NO, but it would then again bring up the original question is why was the typical talking point about Parking lot trams, and Cash registers brought up when talking about something totally unrelated at the HM?

Comment

Sorry if I didn't have a better picture, but usually the goal is to get the least amount of strangers in your picture. To me it seemed like chaos. The few cast members trying to setup the queue seemed that they were fighting a losing battle. The mass of people made it nearly impossible to determine how you were supposed to get around the queue. We didn't want to go to the Haunted Mansion, but to the Rail Road Station. It took a good five minutes to find the space between the Pirates Queue and the HM Queue. There were no cast members to help you. Let's face it, if it weren't for the Christmas Overlay HM is pretty much a walk on.
                          No worries, I actually understand the frustration of how that area can be. But the main point is that it is more of a result of environment as the queue has to basically weave through the courtyard area and the ability for a more "organized" queue it not really practical unless they did some drastic changing of the area. I can't speak specifically for that day, but we have been there at other times during October and other busy periods and there was always been CM's around.

When I ordered a Dole Whip at Tiki it seemed to be more of a way to not have a cashier rather than preordering. I ordered, waited in line, when I got to the front the cast member asked for my number, then they got my order. It wasn't like the order was there for me to pick up, but more of a way to remove the person taking the cash.
                          This had less to do with not taking cash, and more to do with what was being served. It could be several minutes from the time they take your order to the time you actually get to the pick-up. So they could be really efficient and hand you your Dole whip that has been standing out for several minutes melting away, or give you a fresh one. I've seen this same thing when doing Mobile Ordering at the Ice Cream places, but at restaurants my order is waiting.

They actually still let you pay cash(unless this just recently changed), you just wait until you get to the register. All they did was move the cashier that would normally be behind the register to one that goes down the line...basically a wash in terms of staffing.

Comment

Perhaps then you can answer the other part of the post as well. If they hypothetically doubled the CM's at the Haunted Mansion change in any way how they laid out the HM Queue? With the HM already running both Elevators and the Doom Buggies being a constant, would that some how add capacity to the HM?. It's fine if the answer is NO, but it would then again bring up the original question is why was the typical talking point about Parking lot trams, and Cash registers brought up when talking about something totally unrelated at the HM?
                            All aspects of the customer's experience are affected by management's cutbacks in online staffing. More ODV carts + fewer custodial CMs = more trash. More customers + fewer attractions CMs = more unattended queues. More customers + fewer food CMs = fewer open registers = longer waits for service. More customers + fewer in-service Parking lot trams = longer waits for tired, footsore customers when they're going home. And all of it = greater profits for Disney, at the cost of a lower-quality experience for the customers. The claim that "it's always been that way" is a denial of reality (not saying you're making that claim, but others are).

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

Comment

Reality-customers is paying more for less ,and that is customer's experience?
                              Not affected by management's ?
                              But company does cut budgets, reduce services, to increase profits ,and is only company goal .
                              The company does want the customer's ,think other wise !
                              Last edited by Eagleman; 11-07-2018, 04:46 PM.
                              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Once I was lucky enough to be there on a non crowded day (70's) only to find that one side of the Matterhorn was closed and they were only running one side of the Autopia. Who knows what else, less trains / Jungle boats and whatever? The less crowded park had less ride capacity so I still had to wait for stuff.

Comment

Crowds are increasing and going get worst !
                                  IMO-Once Galaxy's Edge open , it going be night mare......
                                  From the time ,finding a parking ,to the time of getting back on the freeway.
                                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Why does the default response to just about everything revert to the typical "Management is cheap" or "They are just there to make a buck".
                                    This was an article posted by one of the bloggers at Imagineering Disney in 2010. It's a little dated, but so very appropriate. The topic was about Maintenance, but I believe it is relevant to all aspects of the Park.

"…More than lack of management or the desire to fund renovation, the lack of culture is what truly prevails as the leading cause of this problem in my mind. I remember speaking with a maintenance cast member I held in high regard one day while walking around the parks before hours. He had been working for Disney 20 plus years and was heavily involved in several park openings around the world. He now worked Fantasyland and Tomorrowland. I had gotten comfortable enough with him that I felt I could truly share my disappointments along with my passion and drive to want to change things. He loved my passion about the parks and the company and had spent many hours explaining to me what features and abilities the attractions used to have versus what they have now, how things worked, and what maintenance was required for all the attractions he worked on.

On this particular day I was feeling gutsy. I told him I had noticed that he and his coworkers spent so much time taking long brakes and slowly tinkering with things when they knew very well that the park wasnʼt running even close to the maintenance level it should be and I wondered what it would take to get this group of cast members to care again. His answer saddened me deeply. He told me there was a time when he felt as passionately about the subject as I did. He said he used to come to work with excitement, joy and enthusiasm to work on these amazing attractions. He felt respected and knew how important his job was. However, the past few years had changed him. He told me there are only so many times you can turn to your superiors and tell them what needs to happen and where money needs to go before you realize your thoughts, opinions and years of experience are falling on deaf ears. Itʼs hard to care about something your superiors couldnʼt care less about. It hurt to care and after a while he couldnʼt care anymore. Few of his coworkers had worked there as long as he and the new ones picked up on the apathy quickly. So, it continues downward without anyone to stop this dismal cycle or the deterioration of my beloved parks.
                                    "

Comment

Originally posted by stovk View Post

This was an article posted by one of the bloggers at Imagineering Disney in 2010. It's a little dated, but so very appropriate. The topic was about Maintenance, but I believe it is relevant to all aspects of the Park.

"…More than lack of management or the desire to fund renovation, the lack of culture is what truly prevails as the leading cause of this problem in my mind. I remember speaking with a maintenance cast member I held in high regard one day while walking around the parks before hours. He had been working for Disney 20 plus years and was heavily involved in several park openings around the world. He now worked Fantasyland and Tomorrowland. I had gotten comfortable enough with him that I felt I could truly share my disappointments along with my passion and drive to want to change things. He loved my passion about the parks and the company and had spent many hours explaining to me what features and abilities the attractions used to have versus what they have now, how things worked, and what maintenance was required for all the attractions he worked on.

On this particular day I was feeling gutsy. I told him I had noticed that he and his coworkers spent so much time taking long brakes and slowly tinkering with things when they knew very well that the park wasnʼt running even close to the maintenance level it should be and I wondered what it would take to get this group of cast members to care again. His answer saddened me deeply. He told me there was a time when he felt as passionately about the subject as I did. He said he used to come to work with excitement, joy and enthusiasm to work on these amazing attractions. He felt respected and knew how important his job was. However, the past few years had changed him. He told me there are only so many times you can turn to your superiors and tell them what needs to happen and where money needs to go before you realize your thoughts, opinions and years of experience are falling on deaf ears. Itʼs hard to care about something your superiors couldnʼt care less about. It hurt to care and after a while he couldnʼt care anymore. Few of his coworkers had worked there as long as he and the new ones picked up on the apathy quickly. So, it continues downward without anyone to stop this dismal cycle or the deterioration of my beloved parks.
                                      "

I find this true......Itʼs hard to care about something , when your superiors couldnʼt care less about.....
                                      Cut budgets, Reduce Services, to Increase Profits and Bonus , is all the superiors/leadership of Disney care about !
                                      Reality-Customers is paying more for less.
                                      IMO
                                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by stovk View Post

"

Sad, but true.

Comment

I think the lower staffing has more to do with the cost of labor today either due to minimum wage laws or just shaming a company into paying unskilled labor more then they ought to. As you said, Disney is for profit and there is nothing wrong with that. But paying a "living wage" and providing healthcare is a huge cost. I think a big problem is that other than a cadre of key employees, MOST Disney park workers USED TO BE students, part time people, and others who were HAPPY to have those jobs for short periods and were not having an expectation to have a career out it. Let's face it, minimum wage is a bit too high and that affects all these business factors.

Comment

Working...
                                          X