Overcrowding complaints at Disneyland is nothing new.

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HiddenMickey87
    replied
    It was definitely slower in 2013. Went twice; normal crowds. I think 2015 is when the madness began.

Leave a comment:

• Starcade
    replied
    To be honest I remember vividly the first time I took my kids about 5 years ago, November 2013 and I can clearly remember it feeling about 20% less crowded then it was when I went this past Saturday. However I also feel it was 20% less crowded feeling this past Sat. then it was all year during the 60th. I think there may be a about 9-16months of the crowd levels we saw during the 60th after SWGE opens but I am still curious how it will effect the rest of the park as many guest wedge themselves into SWGE for the most of the day.

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    replied
    Originally posted by stovk View Post
    I don't think Bob was referring to "Crowds" as "overcrowding". Just in the generic sense that you would find in a typical popular setting.
    Good Point.........I think your right !

Leave a comment:

• stovk
    replied
    I don't think Bob was referring to "Crowds" as "overcrowding". Just in the generic sense that you would find in a typical popular setting.
    Last edited by stovk; 10-21-2018, 03:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    replied
    Now, Off season is really a thing of the past.
    IMO-Once Galaxy's Edge open , it going be a :Mad House:...Every Day
    for long while...........
    In the 70's,it could get bad....But the park is noting like the crowds of TODAY !

Leave a comment:

• BiggestDisneyFan
    replied
    I can tell you that when I was a kid, even during the summer, walking through Disneyland wasn't like wading through a pool of people. Yes, it was a lot more crowded on some days than others, but overall it was considerably less packed than it is now. And there were slow days, even as recently as in the 1990s. I remember going on a Thursday, with my wife (fiancé, at the time) and it was great. Walking down the sidewalk didn't require dodging other people and waits were pretty reasonable. Of course, waits for the really popular attractions were still longer. I think there is a mentality people get when Disneyland isn't too crowded, that lines must be shorter for big rides, so people still pile into lines for the more popular attractions, so that might normally be 1 hour long only drop to maybe 45 minutes. (It's on rainy weekdays in the spring or fall when even the big E-tickets may be basically walk-on.)

Leave a comment:

• JerrodDRagon
    replied
    No No No....this is different we had an off season just ten years ago. Its been gone for the last few after Carsland came in.
    Disney Litterally gave tickets out around then because they were doing fine but wanted more people...can you see them in this environment giving people even tickets at 50% off?

Leave a comment:

• Starcade
    replied
    I've been going since the early 70's and even as a young kid I remember hearing my parents complain about the crowds back then. It is all relative. I even remember feeling it was crowded but a group of us as teens could run around the park full sprint without so much as grazing another person. Try running 15 feet now and your bond to collide with somebody.

Leave a comment:

• biggsworth
    replied
    Originally posted by DarthBrett78 View Post

I agree with all your points. PM really needs to come back and the old Motor Boat Cruise area would be idea for some sort of new attraction.

The other major problem areas or wastes of space in DL are:

The Magic-Eye/3D theater which is used as a trailer preview now
    Old Starcade location
    Carousel building. As soon as Galaxy's Edge opens this should either be torn down to make way for a new attraction or bring it back as a rotating carousel attraction (yes, I know the rumor is the tracks were filled with concrete so it won't rotate anymore).
    Remove the old Videopolis/FL theater. It sits empty most days and at night. That area is big enough to house a really good dark ride. Frozen could definitely go there

Tomorrowland also really needs a nice sit-down restaurant. Maybe put that in the Starcade or 3D theater location? Or in the area of the carousel theater if it is ever demolished along with an attraction.
    For the sit down to me a no brainier is to bring the space themed restaurant from EPCOT they are building to here.

Leave a comment:

• DarthBrett78
    replied
    Originally posted by biggsworth View Post

Redoing the motor boat area to Frozen would be a great addition too. If they did it right you could put in a new attraction and a Arendale village with meet and greet and food offerings. It would look nice with the Matterhorn in the area. You would need to cut into Autopia and maybe re- route the monorail but the payoff would be awesome.

Your other suggestions have been way over do. The PM should be brought back in some form. It really is a people eater. The perspective visitors got from the attention was pretty cool. I always thought you could potentially put a new version of Autopia in the peoplemovers place somehow. Cars start on the ground and the you take a road trip through TL even on elevated roads.

I agree with all your points. PM really needs to come back and the old Motor Boat Cruise area would be idea for some sort of new attraction.

The other major problem areas or wastes of space in DL are:

The Magic-Eye/3D theater which is used as a trailer preview now
    Old Starcade location
    Carousel building. As soon as Galaxy's Edge opens this should either be torn down to make way for a new attraction or bring it back as a rotating carousel attraction (yes, I know the rumor is the tracks were filled with concrete so it won't rotate anymore).
    Remove the old Videopolis/FL theater. It sits empty most days and at night. That area is big enough to house a really good dark ride. Frozen could definitely go there

Tomorrowland also really needs a nice sit-down restaurant. Maybe put that in the Starcade or 3D theater location? Or in the area of the carousel theater if it is ever demolished along with an attraction.

Leave a comment:

• Jim in Merced CA
    replied
    Fast Pass also throws a huge number of guests out in the walkways - making it even more crowded.

Leave a comment:

• Eagleman
    replied
    Overcrowding has gotten worst.........

and increases wait times - always been an issue IMO
    Unnecessary staff cuts does not help and going really get bad with SW/GE !

Leave a comment:

• HiddenMickey87
    replied
    Yes, it can still be overcrowded if they haven't reached capacity. Don't forget, overcrowding not only increases wait times (= less attractions for you), it also tramples the quaintness of the park.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. P
    replied
    Overcrowding is a relative term. We all have our own opinions of what overcrowded is. I think we can all agree that there are more guests in the park than there ever was before and that there is really no off-season anymore. But, is it really overcrowded if they haven't reached capacity? Asking for a friend...

Leave a comment:

• Jim in Merced CA
    replied
    Plus, we could go during the off-season - not an off-day or an off-few hours. I’ve been visiting Disneyland since 1969 and it is always crowded. Those of us who were there during those times aren’t making it up.

Leave a comment:

• DrAlice
    replied
    Overcrowding has always been an issue, but I think the difference is that now it happens on MOST days of the year. When I was a kid, I'd expect it to be insane during the summer or a holiday, but there was an off season. Now, that off season is really a thing of the past.

Leave a comment:

• biggsworth
    replied
    Originally posted by HiddenMickey87 View Post

Indeed.
    2 ways I can think of to help:

-Bring the Peoplemover back (gets 3500 people an hour off the ground) and put the Rocket Jets back on top (open up the TL entrance)
    -Put something in the Fantastia Gardens section... it can be a ride, it can be a themed walk-through (like the Alice-themed maze in DLP), it still gets people off the walkways
    Redoing the motor boat area to Frozen would be a great addition too. If they did it right you could put in a new attraction and a Arendale village with meet and greet and food offerings. It would look nice with the Matterhorn in the area. You would need to cut into Autopia and maybe re- route the monorail but the payoff would be awesome.

Your other suggestions have been way over do. The PM should be brought back in some form. It really is a people eater. The perspective visitors got from the attention was pretty cool. I always thought you could potentially put a new version of Autopia in the peoplemovers place somehow. Cars start on the ground and the you take a road trip through TL even on elevated roads.

Leave a comment:

• Nesboy43
    replied
    When I tell people I went to Disneyland I've always heard the same thing:
    1) Isn't it too hot
    2) Isn't it too crowded

This has never changed.

Leave a comment:

• HiddenMickey87
    replied
    Originally posted by biggsworth View Post
    Doesn't help they take offerings out without replacing them. Closing attractions for fireworks doesn't help either. Forces people into the general areas together. One thing they should have done to address this while they carved up space for SWGE was asa another attraction to critter country or beefed up Pooh.
    Indeed.
    2 ways I can think of to help:

-Bring the Peoplemover back (gets 3500 people an hour off the ground) and put the Rocket Jets back on top (open up the TL entrance)
    -Put something in the Fantastia Gardens section... it can be a ride, it can be a themed walk-through (like the Alice-themed maze in DLP), it still gets people off the walkways

Leave a comment:

• biggsworth
    replied
    Doesn't help they take offerings out without replacing them. Closing attractions for fireworks doesn't help either. Forces people into the general areas together. One thing they should have done to address this while they carved up space for SWGE was asa another attraction to critter country or beefed up Pooh.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X