Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make the Haunted Mansion great again

MTHMGA!!! Here's how...

*In the stretching room, make it so the hanging body literally drops right before it goes pitch black. Update the bone crash sound effect to sound more realistic (they could use the sound effect added to the WDW version in '07). What would make it even scarier is a sudden burst of air or a spray of water droplets in your face when you hear the sound of the skeleton hitting the ground. I'm sure there's a way to do that.

*Add the sound effects of stretching wood and the whispering of the gargoyles like at WDW.

*Keep the classic "Castle Thunder" sound effect but maybe make it louder (though it's already plenty loud), the one they replaced it with at WDW sucks.

*Update the Paul Frees audio so it has a more ghost-like quality like at WDW.

*Bring back the "April-December" and "Panther Lady" changing portraits. Ditch the "Aging Man" changing portrait (who I refuse to call "Master Gracey" despite what merchandise says) or give him a spot in the foyer (like the WDW version), with the full six-phase transformation.

*Do something better with the Doom Buggy loading area/staircase. Make it darker, add big glowing spiders on webs (like WDW used to have), something!

*Get rid of that Spanish safety voice in the Doom Buggy. It's so awful, it takes me out of the atmosphere every time. Also remove that bad Paul Frees impersonator and bring back the original "Do not pull down on the safety bar" audio, remove that crap about watching your hands, arms, feet, legs, and children. Why is the Ghost Host telling people who don't have children to watch their children and then speaking Spanish to people who don't speak Spanish? It's cringe-worthy. There must be a way to fix that. If they MUST have additional safety announcements and Spanish, they could add them to the loading area before you get on the Doom Buggy like at WDW, but have Corey Burton re-record it.

*Add live actors like the knight character from the '80s. Up the scare factor.

*Put Madame Leota back on the table and make the table float instead of the crystal ball.

*Ditch the disappearing head wedding portraits. BORING! The attic needs to be SCARY. We already had changing portraits in the stretching room and the hallway, why did there need to be ANOTHER variation of this idea so late in the ride?

*Bring back a Bride figure closer to one of the older versions, complete with candle, bouquet, and red glowing heart. Constance SUCKS.

*Bring back the screaming pop-up corpses, in the attic AND the graveyard. They need to POP UP and retreat QUICKLY like they did originally. Not these slowly-rising up versions they have now, they're not scary or startling at all. Misses the whole point. Bring back more of the original Blaine Gibson face sculpts instead of just re-using the same two faces over and over again. Hide the pop-up mechanisms better too.

*Bring back the bats to the attic, because why not?

*Make the Hatbox Ghost look closer to his original version - more realistic and creepy. Not with cartoony blinking eyes and the "Family Guy"-esque facial expressions. Make his cane hand shaky. Move him back into the attic and change the roof back to how it was. I don't see any reason why he couldn't go back in his original spot, now that they have a way to do the effect.

*Graveyard needs to be darker and the ghosts need to glow better, like at WDW.

*Use the updated Singing Bust projections from WDW.

*Remove that robotic "please exit to your left" audio at the end, replace with Paul Frees "kindly watch your step" audio like at WDW or have Corey Burton record a new line.

Also, ditch Haunted Mansion Holiday.

Any other ideas?
    Last edited by HMPOTCPurist; 10-28-2018, 10:08 PM.

Not everything needs to glow. We don’t need fluorescent ghosts.

Comment

I for Ditching - Haunted Mansion Holiday Nightmare-The Nightmare Before Christmas- Overlay !
      It goes ever single year......and last to long (September through early January)
      That would be good start of making Haunted Mansion great again........ IMHO
      Overlays become Over Kill .
      PS: I still enjoy hearing Paul Frees-Voice
      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by HMPOTCPurist View Post
        These changes would make the Haunted Mansion SCARY again, make the Haunted Mansion IMMERSIVE again, and MAKE THE HAUNTED MANSION GREAT AGAIN.
        I disagree. I don't want the Mansion to be any more scary or frightening. I don't think adding these changes would really make it more immersive either.

Any other ideas?
        I think if there are to be anymore changes made, I'd like to see something really different. Rip the attic out entirely and put in a completely different scene. Change out Leota for something new and maybe cut the graveyard in half and extend the crypt for another scene. Maybe something akin to Mystic Manor with wall to wall projections.

Otherwise I'd say it's fine as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagleman View Post
          I for Ditching - Haunted Mansion Holiday Nightmare-The Nightmare Before Christmas- Overlay !
          It goes ever single year......and last to long (September through early January)
          That would be good start of making Haunted Mansion great again........ IMHO
          Overlays become Over Kill .
          PS: I still enjoy hearing Paul Frees-Voice
          Reduce Haunted Mansion Holiday to two months of operation. Also bring back the Ghost Host spiels "Do not pull down on the safety bar please", "All of our ghosts have been dying to meet you....", and "Perhaps Madame Leota can establish contact..."

Comment

These changes would make the Haunted Mansion SCARY again, make the Haunted Mansion IMMERSIVE again, and MAKE THE HAUNTED MANSION GREAT AGAIN.
            Here's the thing, The Haunted Mansion's tone has never been 100% horror. Only 50%. And the other half is supposed to be goofy and humorous.

While Imagineer Claude Coats was in favor of the dark and spooky theme, fellow Imagineer Marc Davis, was in favor of a humorous take. This caused the ride's theme to be split into a hybrid. Scary, yet funny.
            *Bring back the "April-December" and "Panther Lady" changing portraits. Ditch the "Aging Man" changing portrait (who I refuse to call "Master Gracey" despite what merchandise says) or give him a spot in the foyer (like the WDW version), with the full six-phase transformation.
            Why do you refuse to call him "Master Gracey"?

If the HM does get upgraded, I think the Doombuggies should be upgraded, to add "4D effects", like Soarin( like scents and wind). I would theme the exit to look like more like a crypt.

Comment

I really love the Haunted Mansion Holiday. My whole family in fact. It seems so hated online but everyone I know really like it. And the wait time for it always seem longer than the original so it seems pretty popular.

Comment

Make the Haunted Mansion great again? You make the same mistake as our president. The HM has always been and is still great.

Comment

anyone else only think of "So I married an axe murderer" whenever they get to the bride room now? I mean just make the last picture have Mike Myers in it and complete the joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
                    Here's the thing, The Haunted Mansion's tone has never been 100% horror. Only 50%. And the other half is supposed to be goofy and humorous.

While Imagineer Claude Coats was in favor of the dark and spooky theme, fellow Imagineer Marc Davis, was in favor of a humorous take. This caused the ride's theme to be split into a hybrid. Scary, yet funny.
                    Exactly. Even the lyrics point to this.

"Shrouded in a daft disguise, they pretend to terrorize. Grim grinning ghosts come out to socialize."

Comment

Originally posted by zugzug15 View Post
                      anyone else only think of "So I married an axe murderer" whenever they get to the bride room now? I mean just make the last picture have Mike Myers in it and complete the joke.
                      "Heed! Pants! Now!"

Comment

Originally posted by Fctiger View Post
                        I really love the Haunted Mansion Holiday. My whole family in fact. It seems so hated online but everyone I know really like it. And the wait time for it always seem longer than the original so it seems pretty popular.
                        I have the same NBC attraction adoration concept, then I took time to read the long running HM thread and came to several conclusions.

1. NBC is totally different than the Haunted Mansion. In respect to the HM purist , I never call it the Haunted Mansion Holiday, because NBC has nothing do with the OP purist view of the conceptual vision of Haunted mansion.

2. What is more Haunted than Halloween?? NBC has become the Disneyland version of August Christmas holiday displays in box stores.....do we really need it that long?

3. Five months of the year the Haunted Mansion is closed, is there another attraction at Disneyland with such yearly closure?

I truly understand the historical concept of MTHMGA....but evidently everyone has been asking......what exactly was Leonard wearing on his head.....because there seems to be a remodel on the horizon over in Toontown....but very little management interest in MTHMGA !!!

I ride NBC over and over and over....but will only enter Haunted Mansion if the line is fast.
                        Last edited by laferney Road kid; 10-29-2018, 11:23 AM. Reason: my eye vision is still recovering from surgery....this print is small!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Marko50 View Post
                          Make the Haunted Mansion great again? ...HM has always been and is still great.
                          sigpic

Comment

Only To area's I'd like to see the HM upgrade.
                            The Attic and maybe if down right the Ending mirrors.

The Attic needs more going on and a better Bride and the Windows at the end would be very cool if they could be more interactive but don't want the ghost looking too cartoonish.

Besides that think the ride is solid and not too much more I'd add to it
                            Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
                              Only To area's I'd like to see the HM upgrade.
                              The Attic and maybe if down right the Ending mirrors.

The Attic needs more going on and a better Bride and the Windows at the end would be very cool if they could be more interactive but don't want the ghost looking too cartoonish.

Besides that think the ride is solid and not too much more I'd add to it
                              I agree, I think the attic scene is the only thing I would touch. I like the hitchhiking ghosts personally it's a fun little ending to the ride.
                              BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

I am a borderline HM purist. I could be okay with NBC overlay during Christmas season ONLY. It "feels" like a Christmas overlay. I mean, leave the fricking DL version of a Haunted House alone at Halloween time. There's nothing more Halloween ready than the HM. Ugh. And don't mess with the doombuggy. They can plus them, just don't change them. The attic can use the most help. The bride's face looks like it is projected onto a pillow case.

As long as I still get stuck all the way leaned back staring at the raven. It feels FANTASTIC on my lower back. Hahahahahaha.

Comment

I agree with what many have said the NBC overlay should be only for the Xmas Holiday season as it is not a Halloween movie. I think though what may have been or be occurring is since it requires a lengthy down period DL would prefer it be down prior to Halloween rather than right at the beginning of the Holiday rush. I do think it would be amazing to make it more spooky for the month of October but that would cause even more delays closures etc.

One thing I always thought would be great is if as you exited the attic the bride was not seen and hidden behind a partition so the doom buggy would suddenly turn to the right to then expose the bride who was following you over your shoulder through the attic and then have her animitronically act as if she is shoving you off the roof. Maybe have her hand swing out as she leans forward in your direction. Then I would move Hatty to different location maybe toward the end of the grave yard scene.
                                  Last edited by Starcade; 10-31-2018, 09:47 AM. Reason: Typing is still a struggle.

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
                                    Why do you refuse to call him "Master Gracey"?
                                    If the original creators of the ride didn't intend for the man in the portrait to be Master Gracey, then in my mind he's not Master Gracey.

Comment

*Add the sound effects of stretching wood and the whispering of the gargoyles like at WDW.

*Do something better with the Doom Buggy loading area/staircase. Make it darker, add big glowing spiders on webs (like WDW used to have), something!

*Put Madame Leota back on the table and make the table float instead of the crystal ball.

*Bring back a Bride figure closer to one of the older versions, complete with candle, bouquet, and red glowing heart. Constance SUCKS.

*Bring back the bats to the attic, because why not?

Also, ditch Haunted Mansion Holiday.

Any other ideas?
                                      The rest of your ideas didn't sit well with me. Too much change at it's no longer the same attraction. As has been said, HM has never been scary. Disneyland isn't Six Flags. They cater to a different, family-friendlier crowd. Keep it light, and humorous.

Honestly, the ideas I copied here I actually find unnecessary, since they'd amount to only minor tweaks, but to me they wouldn't really change my ride experience.

EXCEPT....I'd also love to ditch the Haunted Mansion Holiday. My Disneyland experience is always diminished when I can't experience my wonderful, near-perfect CLASSIC Haunted Mansion.
                                      http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                                      http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                                      http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

During Haunted Mansion Holiday, I would add a character that uses Paul Free's Dialogue. You miss the voice of the Ghost Host in the holiday version.

Comment

Working...
                                        X