Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the new Marvel Addition make CA a whole park or will it always be half a park?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will the new Marvel Addition make CA a whole park or will it always be half a park?

With the addition of Marvel and the expansion of Pixar is it really California Adventure? When I was there just a week ago it still seems like half a park. The Pixar Pier looked like an industrial park with all the exposed pipes in the lake. It continues to look like a Carny rider area. It just didn't feel like I was at Disney. I still don't like the wire netting on the Ferris Wheel ride. Couldn't they have put some clear plastic so you can look over the park, or is that the whole point and they don't want you to look at the park. I think the Buena Vista Area looks nice, but it's stores and restaurants. With the price hikes in admission I would expect more ride experiences. I can go to many nice malls, but I don't have to pay a lot of money to visit them. .

I always got the sense that Disney deliberately planned on how the the wanted to expand the park with careful planning. I don't get that sense at California Adventure. It seems like they will throw things at this park until it sticks.

I remember going to this park 5 months after it opened and I was just stunned on how bad the park seemed. Did they really think getting part of Tortilla would classify it as a ride? It felt like a Mall with some rides in it.

Does anyone know if there are plans to make this park more cohesive? You have roughly two rides, a show, an exhibit in Hollywood land. No rides at all in Pacific Wharf or Buena Vista. Pixar Pier still seems a little cheap looking. The San Francisco Area leaves me befuddled. Then Grizzly Peak and Soarin. It still seems like half a park. I guess I was expecting more from Disney.

Hmmm, depends on how good the 2020 marvel ride addition is, which probably will be a dud and also the coaster which hopefully will make 2021 deadline for the 20th anniversary. 2 major rides can really help this park, an extra 4 hours in line lol.

Comment

Disney California Adventure........IMO
      Have become more of a Amusement , Mall, Park than theme park ......DCA 0.0
      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

It will always be second rate. If they would have built Star Wars there it would have made it a legit park, but sadly, they didn't.

Comment

I think it just needs more. Getting two major attractions when Marvel Land finishes is a nice step in that direction, but there's still a ton of space that can be better-utilized. Disneyland has 33 rides, give or take some definitions (for example, I didn't count the Main Street vehicles), while DCA counts around 15. From a major, E-ticket standpoint, Disneyland sits at 9 (again, give or take something like Jungle Cruise) while DCA sits at 5. And that doesn't include shows, where again Disneyland just has more, or the upcoming SW:GE expansion whih will increase those numbers for Disneyland. DCA just needs more in general.

Comment

Though they were kinda of lame I will ;point out that "Bugs Land" had three rides and a theater. With the addition of Marvel Land we will only get two rides. Seems we are going backwards.

Comment

Originally posted by hhsdc34 View Post
              ...it still seems like half a park. The Pixar Pier looked like an industrial park with all the exposed pipes in the lake. It continues to look like a Carny rider area.
              And yet there are some Disney Executive defenders on this Forum who will argue that is quality on par with Walt's era. In fact they will twist their argument so much and tell you the exposed pipes are the best in the world.

Comment

Though they were kinda of lame I will ;point out that "Bugs Land" had three rides and a theater. With the addition of Marvel Land we will only get two rides. Seems we are going backwards.
                That's Disney---backwards thinking !
                "Budgets" , Save money.........
                Last edited by Eagleman; 11-04-2018, 02:48 PM.
                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I dunno were you guys have been... but there is a little thing they added in 2012 called 'Cars Land' and another thing they added called 'Buena Vista Street'. You should all really check it out sometime!

I get it, Pixar Pier was more of a quick coat of paint overlay and not a full immersive land; and the fact World Of Color has been broken so long is frustrating. But DCA has been a full day park and a must see on my SoCal vacations ever since the 2012 construction spree wrapped up. Cars Land is the best themed land in all of the Disneyland Resort, and I fully expect it will still be at least the 'second best' after Star Wars opens. All three attractions in Cars Land are family favorites. With Guardians of the Galaxy setting a high bar, I fully expect Marvel-land to be an equally great addition to the park. Will Marvel-land be another Galaxy's Edge or Cars Land? Probably not. But not every addition to a theme park from here on out needs to be the same high bar as Wizarding World, Cars Land, Pandora or Star Wars. Something on par with even Golden State or some of Disneyland's areas such as Critter Country or Adventureland is probably still a good standard for Marvel to hit. I think Marvel will be a blast, especially with the already great Mission Breakout serving as a solid E-ticket to anchor the land and the rumors of a future MCU roller coaster in future years very tantalizing. Heck I thought the simple addition of walk around Marvel characters in the freaking ugly Hollywoodland backlot area made that place 100% more fun and I can only imagine that interaction will be ten times better in a dedicated Marvel-land (I am going to say that the MCU characters, Captain America, Black Widow, Dr. Strange, Black Panther, Thor and Loki [especially the mischievous Loki] are the best set of 'face characters' currently in the parks. Only Dr. Facilier in New Orleans Square and maybe Gaston in Fantasyland give a more dynamic performance than the Marvel characters in my opinion).

Besides if we are talking about 'half parks' remember there wasn't a time not to long ago that Hollywood Pictures in Florida had only FOUR operating rides... Animal Kingdom while a spectacularly themed park had only about seven rides before Pandora opened. The only three Disney Parks with more rides than DCA are the Magic Kingdom, Tokyo Disneyland and Disneyland itself. Simply put, I think DCA has been batting very high since 2012.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stovk View Post

I don't know if you're trying to be funny or what. But such a ridiculous statement leaves me for a loss of words. In fact I'm so dumbfounded I can't take the rest of the post seriously.

I'm just going to pretend I didn't read that and move on.
                    So all you can do is diss the guy without adding anything real to the conversation. Maybe you should actually rebut instead of being a jerk.

Comment

Originally posted by Marko50 View Post
                      So all you can do is diss the guy without adding anything real to the conversation. Maybe you should actually rebut instead of being a jerk.
                      Says the person who injects his political views without any substantive point.

Originally posted by Marko50 View Post
                      Make the Haunted Mansion great again? You make the same mistake as our president. The HM has always been and is still great.
                      Yes. I should have included his other post where he lauded New Orleans Square as his favorite.

Originally posted by xboxtravis7992 View Post
                      ...New Orleans though probably takes the top spot there of all those, due to the food, ambiance, rides and general atmosphere. The image of sitting down with a Mint Julep and crowd watching is so ingrained in my park memories it is synonymous with Disneyland for me...

So yeah, I guess my final pick for favorite is New Orleans Square. Although I fully expect Star Wars to be vying for that top spot once it opens.
                      Last edited by stovk; 11-04-2018, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Don’t understand why DCA has always been a half day park to some. If you literally do the whole park you can spend the day there. Ride every ride, enjoy the parade (if applicable), watch Frozen, go draw at the animation building and take some time to enjoy a meal in the park.
                        DCA can easily be a day long park if people wouldn’t go there with the mindset of it being like Disneyland where you’d be more inclined to skip some things if you were trying to do everything in a day.

Comment

I always got the sense that Disney deliberately planned on how the the wanted to expand the park with careful planning. I don't get that sense at California Adventure. It seems like they will throw things at this park until it sticks.
                          Each generation of management throws it own things at the park, whether or not it meshes with what the former generation did.

I remember going to this park 5 months after it opened and I was just stunned on how bad the park seemed. Did they really think getting part of Tortilla would classify it as a ride? It felt like a Mall with some rides in it.
                          You're not the only one. John Hench saw it and was so disgusted that he said, "I liked it better as a parking lot."

Does anyone know if there are plans to make this park more cohesive?
                          There's no way that will happen under the current management: they see the park as a platform for advertising whatever brands are currently hot. Whether the disparate parts make a cohesive whole is irrelevant to them -- and to the vast majority of their branded-lifestyle customers.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
                          Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
                          imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

"I didn't know the story of baby Jesus could be any better,
                          until Thor told it to me."
                          -
                          Young girl at Disneyland's 2017 Candlelight Ceremony
                          narrated by Chris Hemsworth

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewLeeHi View Post
                            Don’t understand why DCA has always been a half day park to some. If you literally do the whole park you can spend the day there. Ride every ride, enjoy the parade (if applicable), watch Frozen, go draw at the animation building and take some time to enjoy a meal in the park.
                            DCA can easily be a day long park if people wouldn’t go there with the mindset of it being like Disneyland where you’d be more inclined to skip some things if you were trying to do everything in a day.

Many of the attractions there are just not worth the time. DCA was more useful, to me, as a parking lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                              There's no way that will happen under the current management: they see the park as a platform for advertising whatever brands are currently hot. Whether the disparate parts make a cohesive whole is irrelevant to them -- and to the vast majority of their branded-lifestyle customers.
                              So true and it's not just confined to the Parks. If you happened to watch that joke called "Mickey's 90th Spectacular", it follows the same formula this current generation of Executives is used to shoveling to their customers (my thoughts on the show are here:
                              https://discuss.micechat.com/forum/t...ectacular-fail )

It appears to be that their is no cohesion in the Company and people are running with projects as a way to save their bacon and "look like" they're doing something - no matter how disjointed the project is. DCA is a Park in search of a "Theme".

Comment

I feel like “half-day” and “second rate” are being used interchangeably here when they are not the same. With BVS and Cars Land, I personally think DCA became a full day park (the bare minimum of quality attractions if you will to qualify a day spent. I contest that BVS has no rides. The red car trolley may not be exciting, but it adds life and is as important to the theming as the vehicles on MS. This is what makes it feel Disney).

However, DCA most likely will always be second rate since it was purposely built second rate. Marvel land coming in piecemeal feels like a second rate way to introduce the world to the parks. It a bit of an insult to Marvel fans that these worlds don’t get the respect that Potter and Star Wars received. While I admit GOTG:MB (?) won me over, but visually it does nothing for the park’s atmosphere and I can’t say it’s inspiring for a future land. Thus, I don’t think Marvel will make DCA that much better.

Comment

Disney California Adventure has become IP's Bill Board......not a Theme Park......
                                  Just a another Amusement Park-that will always be second rate!
                                  Thanks to the current management.
                                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

It was getting close think the new half assed Pier set it back but in ten years it will be a FULL park.

Honeslty besides Epcot and Disney Sea its to me my favorite secondary park. It's got a good amount to do and besides Hollywood and kinda now the Pier every area is highly themed and up to the Disney name.
                                    Happy Halloween!!!

Comment

Again, you all need to be nicer to each other...

Loving Disney Since 2006!
                                      Portfolio: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr

Comment

"another thing they added called 'Buena Vista Street'."

Great, more shops and restaurants. Or did you mean the Street Car to Nowhere?

"I get it, Pixar Pier was more of a quick coat of paint overlay and not a full immersive land; and the fact World Of Color has been broken so long is frustrating."

Sorry, still seems like cheap rides except Midway Madness. Also I don't get the Ferris Wheel. I feel like I'm in Disney jail when I ride it. They couldn't come up with a better way to have some sort of plastic covering versus the jail netting? It seems just like a natural place to take pictures until you get home and look them over. It's like I was in Orange County lockup in the sky.

"But DCA has been a full day park and a must see on my SoCal vacations ever since the 2012 construction spree wrapped up."

If that's true, why does Disney close the park earlier than Disneyland?

"Cars Land is the best themed land in all of the Disneyland Resort, and I fully expect it will still be at least the 'second best' after Star Wars opens."

A re-purposed ride from Epcot and two other small rides. That's not instilling confidence in "Star Wars" for me.

"With Guardians of the Galaxy setting a high bar, I fully expect Marvel-land to be an equally great addition to the park."

Re-purposed ride again (Guardians of the Galaxy) and as I pointed out previously. Bugs land had three rides plus theater and Marvel will only have two rides. I will say it once again, is it really California Adventure anymore?

"Will Marvel-land be another Galaxy's Edge or Cars Land? Probably not. But not every addition to a theme park from here on out needs to be the same high bar as Wizarding World, Cars Land, Pandora or Star Wars. Something on par with even Golden State or some of Disneyland's areas such as Critter Country or Adventureland is probably still a good standard for Marvel to hit. I think Marvel will be a blast, especially with the already great Mission Breakout serving as a solid E-ticket to anchor the land and the rumors of a future MCU roller coaster in future years very tantalizing. Heck I thought the simple addition of walk around Marvel characters in the freaking ugly Hollywoodland backlot area made that place 100% more fun and I can only imagine that interaction will be ten times better in a dedicated Marvel-land (I am going to say that the MCU characters, Captain America, Black Widow, Dr. Strange, Black Panther, Thor and Loki [especially the mischievous Loki] are the best set of 'face characters' currently in the parks."

Sorry if I repeat myself, but how is Marvel Land tie in with the theme of California Adventure?

"Besides if we are talking about 'half parks' remember there wasn't a time not to long ago that Hollywood Pictures in Florida had only FOUR operating rides... Animal Kingdom while a spectacularly themed park had only about seven rides before Pandora opened. The only three Disney Parks with more rides than DCA are the Magic Kingdom, Tokyo Disneyland and Disneyland itself. Simply put, I think DCA has been batting very high since 2012."

True, but Disney also didn't have any real competition. I heard plenty of complaints of "MGM studios" not even being half a park. Can't Tokyo Disneyland be more a role model for the park? They are doing something great things, at other Disney Parks. When it comes to California Adventure it starts out as $$$$$$, then as time goes on a $ gets dropped off every month till it's $$.

I'm not sure what Disney can do to truly make California Adventure as great as Disneyland. I guess this is and always will be the Presller curse on this park. A foundation of having plenty of stores and just a few rides to bring them in. This is what happens when you have a person who knows nothing about parks and all about retail and then proceeds to build a rather lame park. Well now I'm depressed.

Comment

Working...
                                        X