Fantasyland Band Organ

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Fantasyland Band Organ

I remember back when Fantasyland was "reborn" in the Eighties, and the wonderful band organ that was added behind Dumbo. At the time, I seem to recall that it was a real, antique organ -- most likely restored -- from perhaps Italy? I also seem to remember watching its mechanics, with actual pipes and bellows and things, almost as though it were "alive"; and I think it was actually playing (instead of just being a prop as music was piped through adjacent speakers). I am curious about its evolution and whether or not it's the same organ now, and also how the soundtrack has changed. I would imagine songs have been deleted/added over the years? One melody in particular that I remember from the original "playlist" seems especially obscure: the "Funny Little Bunnies" song from the "Silly Symphonies" cartoon of the same name. Oh and one more thing -- does the little Dumbo figure still pop out at random?

I believe it is the same organ. I think I remember it working as well, but my memory's not clear on that. It hasn't been moving for the 3 years I've worked at the park. I don't know the reasoning why or when that happened. I can also tell you that I know it was at least touched up paint-wise during the refurb.

Regarding music, Funny Little Bunnies did used to be played on the organ. You can hear it on the "King Arthur Carrousel - Fantasyland Band Organ" on DisneyChris about 4:50. Besides from the current loop not being played on the organ anymore, the music loop is completely different now (not matching the ones on DisneyChris or SoundsofDisneyland). This is the current one that plays in the classics area (though it sounds muted).

And Little Dumbo has been asleep for a long time. I last saw him when I was still a guest. I was hoping he'd make a reappearance after the refurb, but still nothing.

Comment

Thanks for your response, Phantomwise! I had not realized that the current loop is completely different. Interesting how the loop has more of an orchestral sound; does it synch to a more organ-y sound near Dumbo? And yes, I wish Little Dumbo would get to come out again, too!

Comment

Me too.....The fun part of the organ, is when Little Dumbo get to come out !
        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Werner: Yeah, I think that recording was done near the Castle. It sounds more organ-y near the Carousel and Dumbo. So much so, that it took me a while to realize it was a track playing from speakers and not the band organ actually playing.

With the way the line goes right in front of the organ now, it seems only natural to have Little Dumbo come out and delight the waiting guests. The refurb was kind of quick and I know they've returned to do things since so perhaps he'll surprise us.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantomwise View Post

With the way the line goes right in front of the organ now, it seems only natural to have Little Dumbo come out and delight the waiting guests. The refurb was kind of quick and I know they've returned to do things since so perhaps he'll surprise us.
            Little Dumbo Come Out !!

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Working...
            X