Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Haunted Mansion Holiday this year, despite 50th anniversary?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haunted Mansion Holiday this year, despite 50th anniversary?

So will Haunted Mansion Holiday return for 2019? Normally we would assume so, especially how popular it is. This past year it was closed from Aug 20-Sept 6th. Well, in 2019 it’ll celebrate its 50th birthday on Aug 9th. So... do they close it down a a few days after it’s 50th birthday to convert it to the Nightmare version?

My guess, based on Pirates lackluster 50th, is that it will be business usual. They’ll sell some special shirts and mugs on the actual birthday, celebrate the event at D23. Then, the day after its 50th, the party is over. Then close it down for 2 weeks to do the Nightmare overlay.

Also have to factor in opening of StarWars Land, probably only a month or so before. And also factor in DCA's Halloween happenings.

What do you guys think?

I could see them maybe adjusting the close dates to make the Holiday makeover, but I wouldn't cancel it to have a prolonged anniversary celebration.

Comment

I could see them discontinuing it for a few years if Star Wars turns out to be as popular as expected and moving the Halloween parties over to DCA.

Comment

Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post
        I could see them discontinuing it for a few years if Star Wars turns out to be as popular as expected and moving the Halloween parties over to DCA.
        Star Wars will definitely keep the park extra busy for a long time, no doubt about that. So do they keep the Holiday overlay to try and draw some crowd away from Star Wars? Or does it not matter because park is likely going to hit capacity on a regular basis after Star Wars opens, in which they don't do the overlay and try and direct more traffic DCA?

Comment

IMO : Disney can do without the overlay, for few years........
          It been a overkill anyway
          Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I expect them to celebrate the 50th on the actual day and that will probably be it in the park. I fully expect the Nightmare overly in the same exact time frame

Comment

I heard they were going to move the Mansion overlay to the new Star Wars land. Obi-Wan Ka-Boogie and Princess Sally will be huge hits!

Actually, I hope they delay Nightmare for the 50th anniversary, it would be a fitting tribute to celebrate the original attraction.
              HauntedMansion.info - Mansion information, pictures, and projects

Comment

Originally posted by jacobzking View Post

Star Wars will definitely keep the park extra busy for a long time, no doubt about that. So do they keep the Holiday overlay to try and draw some crowd away from Star Wars? Or does it not matter because park is likely going to hit capacity on a regular basis after Star Wars opens, in which they don't do the overlay and try and direct more traffic DCA?
                I think the crowds will be extreme due to SW so Disney will try to do everything they can to move crowds to DCA in hopes of packing that park as well.

Comment

It wouldn't surprise me to see them cancel the overlay for 2019 based on 'popular demand' for the original HM for the anniversary. Then in 2020 bring back HMH by that same 'popular demand'.
                  "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

Yea, I think any aspirations and expectations for Disney to do anything special for the beloved mansion will get little attention if any due to SWGE. Which is very unfortunate, considering the Mansion is one of the staple rides in the park...really sad. Oh but Im sure Disney will have plenty of tacky 50th HM shirts and mugs.

Comment

I do not see any scenario where HMH does not return. It brings a lot of visitation to it and is very popular. With SWGE opening and a entrance/exit to the SW area right next to HM I am betting it will even be more popular.
                      These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                      My company had a special night at the park
                      WdW trip report with WWoHP
                      NYE 2011 trip report
                      Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                      Leap year 24 hour report
                      New DCA trip report
                      NYE 2012
                      HKDL trip report

Comment

I think it will return. Management has proven time and time again that they don't care how many hoops they'll make guests jump through. If they can crush it with crowds for SW:GE AND crush it some more with HMH, they absolutely will. They're never on the floor, they don't know what it's like anyway.

Comment

More than likely, at the most you'll get a one week delay when the Haunted Mansion converts to Haunted Mansion Holiday in August.

Comment

I expect them to celebrate, the 50th Haunted Mansion ,on the actual day !

with special T-Shirts and other items ...For Sale.......

But main concern ,with Disneyland managers will be SW/GE !
                            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

HMH will 99.9% return (unless there is some freak accident to the Holiday decor). It would be nice, if they had some special 50th decorations, that were left up year around.

I also wonder whether SW:GE will actually cause issues during Fall. Yes, I know black-out days will have stopped, but WDW's GE will be opening/opened by Fall, along with school back in session. Summer and Holidays, will cause crowds.

I'll stop myself here before I go off topic.

Comment

Originally posted by HiddenMickey87 View Post
                                I think it will return. Management has proven time and time again that they don't care how many hoops they'll make guests jump through. If they can crush it with crowds for SW:GE AND crush it some more with HMH, they absolutely will.
                                Exactly. Management's goal is max capacity. Just like a mall, where the ideal is Black Friday crowds 365 days a year.

Originally posted by HiddenMickey87 View Post
                                They're never on the floor, they don't know what it's like anyway.
                                Unlike the pre-Eisner years, when management was required to experience the Park as the guests do.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                - Michael Eisner

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
                                  HMH will 99.9% return (unless there is some freak accident to the Holiday decor). It would be nice, if they had some special 50th decorations, that were left up year around.
                                  I think you're right. The lines of folks complaining at City Hall if they didn't bring it back would be too massive to brush off. Even if there was some strategic good that could come out of skipping it this year, it probably isn't worth considering.

I also wonder whether SW:GE will actually cause issues during Fall. Yes, I know black-out days will have stopped, but WDW's GE will be opening/opened by Fall, along with school back in session. Summer and Holidays, will cause crowds.

I'll stop myself here before I go off topic.
                                  I have to imagine they realized the crowding potential of such an expansion prior to greenlighting it. Maybe by then the hope will be that the Halloween offerings will draw enough people away from Star Wars that the waits will drop from three hours to just two hours for those two attractions .

Comment

What will be interesting too is what they intend to do with Fantasmic during the holiday time. That + SW:GE + HMH will be nuts for that area of the park. Thankfully the plan is to (hopefully) get rid of those dance parties, which was a horrible idea anyway.

Comment

If you want to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Haunted Mansion, I would suggest starting on January 18th when the ride reopens and then celebrate until the day the ride closes down again in August.

Comment

Originally posted by DLHMFAN View Post
                                        If you want to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Haunted Mansion, I would suggest starting on January 18th when the ride reopens and then celebrate until the day the ride closes down again in August.
                                        Gee, sounds fun cant wait...YIPEEE!! "insert sarcasm here"

Comment

Working...
                                        X