Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you improve one of your favorite attractions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] How would you improve one of your favorite attractions?

Yep, it's another Armchair Imagineering thread. I know that there are lots of things we'd like to see improved at the DLR, but let's focus, for the moment, on our favorite attractions. What would you do to make one of your favorite attractions even better? Be original and be specific. Blue sky is fine! Anything that is possible even if not very plausible. It doesn't have to be just one change, but for the purposes of this discussion, stick to just one attraction.

For my entry, I would love to see the following changes made to Space Mountain:

1) Increase the size of the cars just a smidge. I can't see how anyone more than 6'2" can ride Space Mountain comfortably unless they are really thin and are good at yoga.

2) Give us more to see, like it used to be. I miss the big glowing ball and the spinning chocolate chip cookie. I haven't ridden Ghost Galaxy or Hyperspace Mountain, so I don't know how much the projections add or detracts from the ride experience, but I would like to see some projections to make it more like space travel than just zipping around in a dark room. Especially if/when Star Tours is removed, it would be neat if Space mountain were to take over providing some of the thrilling space travel effects, like flying through the tail of a comet, dodging an exploding star, zig-zagging through an asteroid belt, etc. Audio effects to accompany the visuals would also be great.

3) Make the track longer and less of just a bunch of sharp turns. I hate to say it, but SM sometimes feels a bit like Goofy's Sky Skool. (Sharp right turn, sharp right turn, dip, sharp right turn, bump, sharp left turn, etc. It needs some longer straightaways, longer drops and twists. Also, some changes to the ride path would be necessary to work with the enhanced effects I mentioned above. This would require more room than the Space Mountain building can currently accommodate, so I imagine they could make the mountain top taller, dig further down to give it more underground space and take over the building currently housing the Magic Eye Theater.

4) Do something interesting with the hallways in the interior of the queue. Nothing too crazy, Maybe something like the translucent display screen walls in the Star Tours queue, displaying vague information about the status of the starship, sensor data of a cosmic storm, or any number of other things.
    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

As a shift worker, I have time to think about stuff other than work, while at work. My version of Disneyland has wasted my time, many times.
    The attraction that needs changes is the return of the Carousel of Progress to Disneyland. The classic attraction at WDW uses this order:
    Stage 1 - Preshow and Intro
    Stage 2 - Act 1 - 1900s
    Stage 3 - Act 2 - 1920s
    Stage 4 - Act 3 - 1940s
    Stage 5 - Act 4 - 21st century
    Stage 6 – End and Exit

The updated (new) version at Disneyland will change to:

Stage 1 – Intro and shortened 1900s
    Stage 2 - Act 1 - 1920s
    Stage 3 - Act 2 - 1950s
    Stage 4 - Act 3 - 1980s
    Stage 5 - Act 4 – Near Future
    Stage 6 – Epilogue and Exit upstairs

Like WDW, the outside queue will display a brief history of the attraction and display the layout of the theater and where to sit.

STAGE 1
    As guests enter Stage 1 they will see the darkened 1900s stage and our host watching them enter. As the seating area darkens, the stage will light and our host will give them a shortened version of the original act of life in the 1900s.

STAGE 2
    Identical to the original 1920s but he host should be aged so we know it’s the same guy, just 20 years older.

STAGE 3
    This new act is set in the 1950s. Our host is now the son of the original host. WW2 has ushered in rapid leaps in technology, air travel, and automobiles. Steam trains are on the way out as diesel locomotives gain prominence but passenger trains are losing favor because of the new freeways (under construction). And don’t forget television. “And that Disney guy is building an amusement park in California. It’ll go bust.”

STAGE 4
    This new act is set in the 1980s. The home computer is a new thing (put a Commodore 64 on the desk). The Space Shuttle has started flying on a regular basis. Everyone has a microwave oven. And Disco is booming.

STAGE 5
    This act is similar to the last act of the original but not set so far into the future. It’s set only about 5 years into the future, so it will have to be constructed to allow for updates without a major overhaul. As an example of an act set in the near future, video walls are commonplace, the average home PC uses a large display that is fully 3D capable, voice activation of EVERYTHING is built into new homes (grandfather hates them and tries to trip them up). People don’t drive at all, they get into their electric vehicles and tell them where to go.

STAGE 6
    Our host makes an appearance on the side of the stage telling how optimistic the future is but WE have to make it that way. He then directs us up a moving sidewalk to the second floor or points out the exits if you want to leave now. “Have a wonderful Disney Day and a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow.”

SECOND FLOOR
    The EPCOT model is long gone. What exists here is a small museum to past technologies mentioned in the show OR a display of future tech (this would have to be updated a LOT.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

Originally posted by MRaymond View Post
      As a shift worker, I have time to think about stuff other than work, while at work. My version of Disneyland has wasted my time, many times.
      The attraction that needs changes is the return of the Carousel of Progress to Disneyland. The classic attraction at WDW uses this order:
      Stage 1 - Preshow and Intro
      Stage 2 - Act 1 - 1900s
      Stage 3 - Act 2 - 1920s
      Stage 4 - Act 3 - 1940s
      Stage 5 - Act 4 - 21st century
      Stage 6 – End and Exit

The updated (new) version at Disneyland will change to:

Stage 2 - Act 1 - 1920s
      Stage 3 - Act 2 - 1950s
      Stage 4 - Act 3 - 1980s
      Stage 6 – Epilogue and Exit upstairs

Like WDW, the outside queue will display a brief history of the attraction and display the layout of the theater and where to sit.

STAGE 1
      As guests enter Stage 1 they will see the darkened 1900s stage and our host watching them enter. As the seating area darkens, the stage will light and our host will give them a shortened version of the original act of life in the 1900s.

STAGE 2
      Identical to the original 1920s but he host should be aged so we know it’s the same guy, just 20 years older.

STAGE 3
      This new act is set in the 1950s. Our host is now the son of the original host. WW2 has ushered in rapid leaps in technology, air travel, and automobiles. Steam trains are on the way out as diesel locomotives gain prominence but passenger trains are losing favor because of the new freeways (under construction). And don’t forget television. “And that Disney guy is building an amusement park in California. It’ll go bust.”

STAGE 4
      This new act is set in the 1980s. The home computer is a new thing (put a Commodore 64 on the desk). The Space Shuttle has started flying on a regular basis. Everyone has a microwave oven. And Disco is booming.

STAGE 5
      This act is similar to the last act of the original but not set so far into the future. It’s set only about 5 years into the future, so it will have to be constructed to allow for updates without a major overhaul. As an example of an act set in the near future, video walls are commonplace, the average home PC uses a large display that is fully 3D capable, voice activation of EVERYTHING is built into new homes (grandfather hates them and tries to trip them up). People don’t drive at all, they get into their electric vehicles and tell them where to go.

STAGE 6
      Our host makes an appearance on the side of the stage telling how optimistic the future is but WE have to make it that way. He then directs us up a moving sidewalk to the second floor or points out the exits if you want to leave now. “Have a wonderful Disney Day and a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow.”

SECOND FLOOR
      The EPCOT model is long gone. What exists here is a small museum to past technologies mentioned in the show OR a display of future tech (this would have to be updated a LOT.
      I think I only saw the Disneyland Carrousel of Progress when I was really young so I can only recall faint images, but I can imagine this updated version and it sounds really enjoyable.
      Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

Comment

I like this concept
        Stage 2 - Act 1 - 1920s
        Stage 3 - Act 2 - 1950s
        Stage 4 - Act 3 - 1980s
        Stage 6 – Epilogue and Exit upstairs.............

I do miss
        Disneyland Carrousel of Progress ........I did seen it once at WDW....
        But felt Disneyland version was better !
        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Get rid of all the Captain Jack Sparrows in Pirates.

And while we're at it, restore the entire ride to its former glory.....no PC garbage.

TDC really needs to grow a backbone one of these days..........

Comment

Fix the attic scene in Haunted Mansion. Rethink the lighting in the load area to have it be closer to it's original intent.

Fix the "rat on branch" projection room on Indy and create a physical and exciting effect.

Add light projection mapping to Splash Mountain + a thorough refurb to make it brighter and add a touch more depth inside the ride.

And obviously, Pirates needs some major creative rethinking.

Comment

Another idea for the Carousel building I've envisioned a "Carousel of Disney".
              The show highlights cutting edge technology of the past, the present, then the future using Disneyland as its example. Ride tech, AA advancement, originality and future rides. It would also showcase how it all comes together. The host can be T. Morrow, Mr. Johnson (in NASA lab coat) or a new AA personality. Keep it fast paced and it stays interesting. Make the scenes modular and they could be updated as needed with minimal downtime.
              Put the speedramp back in after the last scene and take the audience upstairs. The upper floor would have a model of Disneyland (with moving parts and articulation) and an AA narrator pointing out how the park has changed over time. I thought about an AA Walt Disney opening the show but I'm sure some people would balk.
              Last edited by MRaymond; 01-13-2019, 08:14 PM. Reason: readability
              Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

Matterhorn: (I doubt the major changes will happen)

Option A: One Track instead two. Instead of redoing the whole track, the current loading station is demolished and a new 2 story chalet queue(similar to Jungle Cruise, with loading still on theground floor) is built North of the current one.

The New track would lead into the Tomorrowland side(left) and would follow the current track's path. However after the splash-down, it would go onto an elevated track going over the launch track, and curve around to the Fantasyland Side(right), with the track also following the same path. The end of the track would lead into the station.

Option B: Matterhorn tracks officially becoming a dueling coster, with bobsleds launched at the same time. The ride would have be heavily tweaked to be possible.

Alice in Wonderland: Only one change would be made. The outdoor track is overhauled, with garden trellises, greenery, and small details of wonderland ("painted red" faux white roses, white rabbit footprints, strewn about teapots).

This is a good thread idea. I haven't even covered DCA!

Comment

Since we seem to be bringing back lost attractions here, I’d bring back the People Mover. But to improve it, I would turn it into more of a tour of the future. Instead of only seeing previews of attractions, and the Tron tunnel, I’d take guests through scenes of future life with animatronic figures and such. Show homes and work and play of the future. When the cars went through the outside part near the subs it would look like even more future city to see.
                  http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                  http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                  http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

Originally posted by MRaymond View Post
                    Another idea for the Carousel building I've envisioned a "Carousel of Disney".
                    The show highlights cutting edge technology of the past, the present, then the future using Disneyland as its example. Ride tech, AA advancement, originality and future rides. It would also showcase how it all comes together. The host can be T. Morrow, Mr. Johnson (in NASA lab coat) or a new AA personality. Keep it fast paced and it stays interesting. Make the scenes modular and they could be updated as needed with minimal downtime.
                    Put the speedramp back in after the last scene and take the audience upstairs. The upper floor would have a model of Disneyland (with moving parts and articulation) and an AA narrator pointing out how the park has changed over time. I thought about an AA Walt Disney opening the show but I'm sure some people would balk.
                    This is seriously one of the best things I've ever read on MiceChat. Such a great idea.

Comment

Originally posted by ajburk97 View Post
                      Fix the "rat on branch" projection room on Indy and create a physical and exciting effect.
                      Was this room always a rat on a branch? Did at one point maybe 10-15 years ago this was the spirits coming out of the Ark like at the end of Raiders. Maybe my memory isn’t quite clear, but I feel like this used to have something more substantive, but now it just feels like you’re sitting in the dark until you come to the rat.

Comment

I have mentioned this before... I would add gurney flaps/wicker bills to the logs on Splash Mountain They could easily be disguised as ridges on the logs but would have a huge effect in limiting the wash over that tends to soak everyones legs and backsides as well as prevent the large waves from drenching those sitting up front. Getting a splash here of there is fine but coming off the ride with a literal bucket of water thrown on you make it a seasonal ride at best and this time of year it seems to often be a walk on as people avoid it which is a shame because it is really a fun ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Starcade View Post
                          I have mentioned this before... I would add gurney flaps/wicker bills to the logs on Splash Mountain They could easily be disguised as ridges on the logs but would have a huge effect in limiting the wash over that tends to soak everyones legs and backsides as well as prevent the large waves from drenching those sitting up front. Getting a splash here of there is fine but coming off the ride with a literal bucket of water thrown on you make it a seasonal ride at best and this time of year it seems to often be a walk on as people avoid it which is a shame because it is really a fun ride.
                          I am with you on this one, my family loves Splash at WDW but Rarely ride it at DL because the way the logs are made you will be soaked to the skin and that is just not that fun for us so we have only rode it a handful of times at Disneyland which is a shame because I believe the layout to be better.
                          BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

Originally posted by sbk1234 View Post
                            Since we seem to be bringing back lost attractions here, I’d bring back the People Mover. But to improve it
                            I ,sure for that ....a Improve Version of the "PEOPLE MOVER"...
                            but now there have be
                            Improve Version of a "TOMORROWLAND" .

In which , I do not think ....Today Disney is capable of doing right !
                            IMO

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

DCA:
                              Grizzly River Rapids: The ride would be rethemed to a "scenic wildlife trek" offering 360 degree views of California nature. The ride's twist, is when the riders are "accidentally" taken off the scenic river course(like Star Tours 1.0) and travel through the rapids.

Despite going into the rapids, riders still get a 360 degree views of wildlife with new AAs scattered thoughout the ride. Humor is also enfused in the ride. For instance: bears can be seen a infiltrating an campsite(like JC); small geyers are "sending" fish into the air; a tree is full of birds, but one of the birds is accidentally sitting on an antler of an unamused buck.

Also, because the rafts do spin in the ride, this will cause some sights to be seen or unseen by riders. This allows guests to re-ride and see something new, with every ride.
                              Last edited by Spongeocto4; 01-14-2019, 08:39 PM. Reason: Accidentally posted unfinshed post.

Comment

Originally posted by sbk1234 View Post
                                Since we seem to be bringing back lost attractions here, I’d bring back the People Mover. But to improve it, I would turn it into more of a tour of the future. Instead of only seeing previews of attractions, and the Tron tunnel, I’d take guests through scenes of future life with animatronic figures and such. Show homes and work and play of the future. When the cars went through the outside part near the subs it would look like even more future city to see.
                                I like this idea a lot!

Comment

Give Indiana Jones Adventure a proper rat room as already stated. Tokyo's version has a really cool fire effect that would be awesome. Indy is my favorite ride but the nearly pitch black section before the blow darts is really lackluster. They could do amazing things in that section.

It would be cool if they refurbished Splash Mountain in a similar way they did Alice in Wonderland. I think the tasteful combinations of screens and digital effects would really do wonders. I can see neat screen effects with the bees, and general background enhancements that fit with the animation style and compliment the animatronics. I absolutely love that ride but so many figures break often and the lighting is bad too. A long refurbishment with LED lighting and projections would make it miles better.

Speaking of Alice in Wonderland, the rest of the Fantasyland dark rides could use some of the projections added in. Shanghai's Peter Pan's Flight does this really well, and I think all of the Fantasyland dark rides could have this done, even with just minor things.

At DCA, Grizzly River Run needs some animatronics. I don't know if you've seen what Knott's is doing to their rapids ride (https://www.knotts.com/play/rides/calico-river-rapids), but that is exactly what needs to happen to Grizzly River Run. It already has some of the best theming and elements of any raft ride but some small show scenes and life would really bring it up to another level.

Incredicoaster would be a lot better with some animated figures, particularly in the beginning and end. Also, the tube scenes are all really bare, with just the figures and some sort of lighting effect. These could really be enhanced a lot. Also, it's missing a ending scene, and an additional final tunnel was cut which would really make it better. The queue also sucks, keeping the generic switchbacks from Screamin' and adding a few character posters. Imagine if they redid the queue to tour their house from the second movie and all of its high tech stuff. Get rid of the courtyard area and expand the line out there with much better theming. Honestly this whole ride is a mess and was better as a generic seaside coaster.

Comment

Thanks for starting a good thread, Biggest Disney Fan!

Ride the "underwater" shooting dark ride at Knott's and then
                                    improve Buzz by copying one feature of that much less expensive attraction
                                    by having different laser guns shoot different colors--one color per gun.
                                    Have the colors match the guns and have at least 5 different colors
                                    so riders can more easily differentiate their lights from the other riders' lights.

Right now they're just all white, which can make it less clear where you're shooting
                                    when multiple players are shooting at the same target.

Also, would it kill them to shower me with confetti & let me ride in a parade when I score over a million?

Comment

Originally posted by Co Foo View Post

Was this room always a rat on a branch? Did at one point maybe 10-15 years ago this was the spirits coming out of the Ark like at the end of Raiders. Maybe my memory isn’t quite clear, but I feel like this used to have something more substantive, but now it just feels like you’re sitting in the dark until you come to the rat.
                                      To my knowledge, there's never been an Ark of the Covenant in there, and the projection has always been the lousy rat effect. I tried checking Youtube to verify, but the video quality on everything that old is fairly poor.

Comment

Originally posted by ajburk97 View Post

To my knowledge, there's never been an Ark of the Covenant in there, and the projection has always been the lousy rat effect. I tried checking Youtube to verify, but the video quality on everything that old is fairly poor.
                                        I didn't mean the actual Ark, just the ghosts. I'm probably off on this and it never happened.

Comment

Working...
                                        X