SW:GE edge in for a bumpy opening?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SW:GE edge in for a bumpy opening?

A lot of second-hand rumors are floating around that TDA is bracing for a very rocky Star Wars opening. They're apparently worried that two attractions with modest rider capacity will fall far short of demand, even if everything works perfectly. But, since these are new ride systems, the odds they actually do work without hiccups and unplanned "offline" time are slim.

It will be interesting to see how is all goes. I doubt we'll see a DCA-level flop, but a lot of people have suspected all along that the finished product can't possibly match the hype.

The capacity isn't the worst, but isn't the best either. Either way, given the demand, there would be hours-long waits regardless of capacity. Pack patience, and brace yourself for the possibility of a break-down at the end of that 6 hr wait in line.

Comment

The slogan for Star Wars Galaxy Edge: If you think quality control was spotty on Rocket Rods, hold our beers.
      May 31, 2019: a day of mourning for all true Disneyland enthusiasts.

Eiger, Chapek, and Star Wars are doing to Disneyland what RKO did to "The Magnificent Ambersons"

Let's hope it doesn't take long for Star Wars Galaxy Edge to meet the same fate as Holidayland.

Walt Disney > George Lucas and Stan Lee

Star Wars - a malignant tumor to the Disney parks since 1987

Comment

In history of Disneyland......
        When comes to new attractions......
        possibility of a break-down is great......and it will ,takes time to get out the bugs.
        So one better have lots of patience,
        No matter what, there still be very long lines............SW/GE have become Quest ,for so many !!

As for me.....I can wait years !
        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

When they reduced SW:GE from 3 attractions to 2, I thought that was the first bad omen.

When I read that the Millennium Falcon ride was interactive and required some user participation/skill with the possibility of crash, I thought, "uh oh".

When I saw the modest rides per hour, I thought, "yikes".

Honestly, I'm not too bothered, I'd rather have a large group of people corralled in SW:GE so my favorite attractions in classic Disneyland have some easing on the pressure.

Time will tell if the other rides will have shorter lines this summer with attention focused on SW.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Zephyr View Post
            When they reduced SW:GE from 3 attractions to 2, I thought that was the first bad omen.
            When I read that the Millennium Falcon ride was interactive and required some user participation/skill with the possibility of crash, I thought, "uh oh".
            Honestly, I'm not too bothered, I'd rather have a large group of people corralled in SW:GE so my favorite attractions in classic Disneyland have some easing on the pressure.
            Time will tell if the other rides will have shorter lines this summer with attention focused on SW.
            In My Opinion
            I feel the over all park and resort , going be a night mare........because SW/GE

But
            modest rides per hour, and
            have to agree....the concept
            Millennium Falcon ride interactive ,......?......
            I really think there go be Issue ,with that attraction.
            LOL ,but I sure , I read about it !
            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Zephyr View Post

I'm hoping that the silver lining for this Star Wars hater who has vowed never to step foot in that "land" will be that once the initial pandemonium subsides we will see crowd levels return to where they are roughly now but with a somewhat greater capacity to better distribute those people. Hopefully that will mean shorter wait times and much better crowd management. That could take several years to realize, and there's certainly no guarantee that crowd levels will ever drop that amount.
              May 31, 2019: a day of mourning for all true Disneyland enthusiasts.

Eiger, Chapek, and Star Wars are doing to Disneyland what RKO did to "The Magnificent Ambersons"

Let's hope it doesn't take long for Star Wars Galaxy Edge to meet the same fate as Holidayland.

Walt Disney > George Lucas and Stan Lee

Star Wars - a malignant tumor to the Disney parks since 1987

Comment

Originally posted by longbeachaztec View Post
                A lot of second-hand rumors are floating around that TDA is bracing for a very rocky Star Wars opening. They're apparently worried that two attractions with modest rider capacity will fall far short of demand, even if everything works perfectly. But, since these are new ride systems, the odds they actually do work without hiccups and unplanned "offline" time are slim.

It will be interesting to see how is all goes. I doubt we'll see a DCA-level flop, but a lot of people have suspected all along that the finished product can't possibly match the hype.
                I think that's spot on. Tell ya who I feel badly for, and that's the rank-and-file at WDI and Ops, the folks who have been and will continue to be the dedicated professionals in the eye of this predictable management storm. By opening day, they'll have been killing themselves for months to get the show at 100%, against the obstacles of management's inane budget, contradictory marching orders, and kick-the-can decision-making. Sadly, it's predictable that if anything goes wrong management will point the finger at them.
                "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                - Michael Eisner

Comment

For once, I actually agree with Wiggins. The rank and file cast member is going to take the brunt of this, and I'm sure it won't be pretty.

Don't get me wrong... in theory, I overall feel SW: GE is a welcome addition. Disneyland is way long overdue for any E ticket sort of attraction. But on a practical level, given current crowd and parking levels, and AP mania, and the modest capacity of the attractions, it's going to be made into an unpleasant experience.

I mean, there's already 3+ hour lines for a plastic popcorn bucket. I can't even begin to comprehend what it'll be like for this. Like, I'm shocked there aren't already people in line. And I don't think those AP blockouts will amount to much... because they will just buy a full price 1-day ticket and be there anyway.

And I also don't personally feel it'll make lines go down in the rest of the park, because let's be realistic... everyone and their mother will try to visit SW: GE, and will either be turned off by the huge crowd (or perhaps even forcibly turned away if the area hits capacity), and so now all those people are going to flood the rest of the park.
                  Does anyone even bother with signatures anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Tell ya who I feel badly for, and that's the rank-and-file at WDI and Ops, the folks who have been and will continue to be the dedicated professionals in the eye of this predictable management storm. By opening day, they'll have been killing themselves for months to get the show at 100%, against the obstacles of management's inane budget, contradictory marching orders, and kick-the-can decision-making. Sadly, it's predictable that if anything goes wrong management will point the finger at them.
                    WDI is not the same......They are professionals, under the management's hand........of Marketing
                    You Know, it's predictable that if anything goes wrong ,management will point the finger at them !
                    It really Sad.......and being
                    realistic......I can see Issue's ,even before SW/GE open.
                    Still In My Opinion
                    I feel the over all park and resort , going be a night mare...with the
                    huge crowd ....because SW/GE
                    Last edited by Eagleman; 01-12-2019, 08:34 AM.
                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

They should have built star wars in DCA, but they didn't, so now they must be punished.

Comment

It will all come down to how far management wants to stretch the ability to increase park capacity which is based on several factors, none of them ride capacity. I was in Orlando during the opening week of Diagon Alley, while not Star Wars do not underestimate the number of Potter fans out there, it was run fairly well. With only the single ride the line was obviously very long, 8 hours at one point, due in large part to lots of technical hiccups. However, the overall land was not sardine like and the park itself was manageable with most people held in line for the new ride or in the new land's line.

If Disney decides to up the park capacity to the absolute max it could be, which would be far beyond the capacity of just two new rides the results could be a disaster. If Disney holds back a little bit and lets the park hit a lower capacity while turning people away the results could be more manageable. Diagon Alley was run the latter way, you kind of had a choice; know that you were going to stand in line for 7-8 hours for a ride, or wander a land that had a little breathing room in it to experience it. The mess also did not spell out into the rest of the park too badly, while wait times were obviously historically a lot longer the place was once again manageable.

Comment

Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post
                          They should have built star wars in DCA, but they didn't, so now they must be punished.
                          LAUGHING>>>> Just glad "MARVEL" is on DCA side........!
                          IMO...Disney California Adventure , is lot worst , than when the park open .
                          Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post
                            I actually love the way the star Wars mountains look in DL not sure how or where in DCA they could have blended the land in as well as the did with DL
                            Last edited by biggsworth; 01-12-2019, 11:01 AM.
                            These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                            My company had a special night at the park
                            WdW trip report with WWoHP
                            NYE 2011 trip report
                            Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                            Leap year 24 hour report
                            New DCA trip report
                            NYE 2012
                            HKDL trip report

Comment

Word on the street for CM's is STAY AWAY FROM GE!

Management is already having a difficult time getting people to apply to go to GE. They need hundreds of CM's just for attractions, but very few people applied. The problem is that the Test and Adjust crew has been there for a year now, and they know all the problems the rides will face. Management also had a hard time getting quality candidates to fill the middle managers and front line management spots, and TDA filled the management teams with some very inexperienced candidates. There are respected DL managers with decades of experience who said "No way in heck!" would they go to GE, and that has filtered down to the hourly CM's with seniority too. The smart CM's are staying away.

The whole concept is going to be a nightmare and there will be a lot of associated problems to deal with. The capacity of both rides is way too low. Millenium Falcon gets 1800 an hour with all four turntables running with every seat filled, even though only two of the six seats are the "pilot" positions and everyone is going to want to be the pilot instead of a dumb helper in the back row. The ROTR ride is closer to 1500 an hour, and that's assuming the thing works. There are multiple ride systems in ROTR, if one ride system stops or faults, the entire thing is closed. Right now they can't get the entire ride to work for more than 15 minutes at a time without stopping for hours to reset and fix.

People who have seen the stores and dining are alarmed at how small and cramped things are, especially the much hyped Cantina. The Cantina has a half dozen small booths, and one dozen bar stools to sit at, that's it. There will be standing space, but not a lot. You can't fit more than 100 people in the Cantina at a time. If you average a 30 minute visit, that would be 3,000 people per day who could visit the Cantina. Disneyland already easily gets 60,000 people per day. Do you wanna be the guy who has to tell 57,000 people they can't get in each day?

There is a fast food location, think a Batuu version of Boardwalk Pizza n Pasta over at DCA, and several small ODV type carts that are highly themed. That's it for dining in the land.

The hyping and opening of GE could ruin Disneyland for years to come. More and more CM's are really starting to worry what it will mean for their ride or location even if they don't transfer to GE.
                              Last edited by Westsider; 01-12-2019, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Westsider View Post
                                Word on the street for CM's is STAY AWAY FROM GE!

Management is already having a difficult time getting people to apply to go to GE. They need hundreds of CM's just for attractions, but very few people applied. The problem is that the Test and Adjust crew has been there for a year now, and they know all the problems the rides will face. Management also had a hard time getting quality candidates to fill the middle managers and front line management spots, and TDA filled the management teams with some very inexperienced candidates. There are respected DL managers with decades of experience who said "No way in heck!" would they go to GE, and that has filtered down to the hourly CM's with seniority too. The smart CM's are staying away.

The whole concept is going to be a nightmare and there will be a lot of associated problems to deal with. The capacity of both rides is way too low. Millenium Falcon gets 1800 an hour with all four turntables running with every seat filled, even though only two of the six seats are the "pilot" positions and everyone is going to want to be the pilot instead of a dumb helper in the back row. The ROTR ride is closer to 1500 an hour, and that's assuming the thing works. There are multiple ride systems in ROTR, if one ride system stops or faults, the entire thing is closed. Right now they can't get the entire ride to work for more than 15 minutes at a time without stopping for hours to reset and fix.

People who have seen the stores and dining are alarmed at how small and cramped things are, especially the much hyped Cantina. The Cantina has a half dozen small booths, and one dozen bar stools to sit at, that's it. There will be standing space, but not a lot. You can't fit more than 100 people in the Cantina at a time. If you average a 30 minute visit, that would be 3,000 people per day who could visit the Cantina. Disneyland already easily gets 60,000 people per day. Do you wanna be the guy who has to tell 57,000 people they can't get in each day?

There is a fast food location, think a Batuu version of Boardwalk Pizza n Pasta over at DCA, and several small ODV type carts that are highly themed. That's it for dining in the land.

The hyping and opening of GE could ruin Disneyland for years to come. More and more CM's are really starting to worry what it will mean for their ride or location even if they don't transfer to GE.
                                For MiceChatters who may not be familiar with his past posts, Westsider knows what he's talking about.
                                "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                - Michael Eisner

Comment

Interesting post, Westsider. I've felt all along that Disney shot themselves in the foot with this one. As detailed as the land is, it's wrong for DL, thematically, size-wise and capacity-wise.

Any detail, any charm, any fun, any ride, any food item... all will be lost due to extreme crowding. Disney may as well upcharge you to experience it with a fraction more peace than the general crowds. If you think you're going to have short lines, a quiet meal, a rest spot, ease of taking photos, etc., think again. This is all against what Disneyland stands for (or used to stand for).

Comment

This thread echoes concerns from insiders found elsewhere throughout the internet.

Whether or not Star Wars fits in the park, or whether or not Batuu fits in the park, every indication is that this land is gonna be an operational nightmare.

A 14 acre land with two attractions... that barely have more capacity than Pirates of the Caribbean. Yeesh.

Comment

I don't like to wish ill on a business, but if it does all crash and burn, let it be a lesson. Stick to your principles, what made you special and unique in the first place. This is nothing more an attempt to one-up the competition that did something better than you, first. And it's not even original, it's an IP you bought off generations of guests who visited and were treated to better experiences than currently.

Comment

Originally posted by HiddenMickey87 View Post
                                        Interesting post, Westsider. I've felt all along that Disney shot themselves in the foot with this one. As detailed as the land is, it's wrong for DL, thematically, size-wise and capacity-wise.

Any detail, any charm, any fun, any ride, any food item... all will be lost due to extreme crowding. Disney may as well upcharge you to experience it with a fraction more peace than the general crowds. If you think you're going to have short lines, a quiet meal, a rest spot, ease of taking photos, etc., think again. This is all against what Disneyland stands for (or used to stand for).
                                        I'm having a tough time finding the upsides to this project.

There used to be a time when Disney would redesign attractions and lands to fit the various overarching themes of each park. Big Thunder in Disneyland is "charming", Big Thunder in MK is "grand".

Galaxy's Edge? A cut and paste land that somehow fits both Disneyland- who's overarching theme is "magic made real", and Hollywood Studios, a park who's overarching theme is "how to make the magic". A land who's rockwork is far more "Grand" than it is "charming". A land that's been intentionally hidden from the rest of the park, and is designed to operate as a pseudo "park within a park".

There also used to be a time when Disneyland management emphasized capacity and reliability for each attraction. The Galaxy's Edge attractions don't seem to be at all reliable, and have an embarrassingly low capacity. In a park where the #1 complaint is crowding, this 14 acre expansion isn't adding nearly enough capacity to both satisfy both the current demand, and the additional demand this land will create.

Looking at the marketing for nearly every addition pre 2000, you can see passionate Imagineers and corporate executives talking about how beneficial the addition will be to Disneyland and how important it was for them to get the attraction/land right. People who seem to be genuine fans of Disneyland and actively working to improve it. Even Eisner did a decent job, his many flaws aside. The marketing for Galaxy's Edge has kept the head Imagineers behind the scenes, out of interviews. Instead of Tony Baxter, Bruce Gordon, Marty Sklar talking about an amazing new addition to the park- we get lousy teaser trailers with 20 year old interns in orange vests "testing" the attractions.

The optimist in me is hoping these fears are unfounded- that Galaxy's Edge will seem like a natural extension of Disneyland (HA) and will be embraced by both the "purists" and more casual fans. That within a couple years, things will settle down and find a happy medium. But from what I've seen, this isn't gonna be what happens.

Comment

Working...
                                        X