Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Didn't GE create one "people eater" attraction like Haunted Mansion?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Didn't GE create one "people eater" attraction like Haunted Mansion?

Like a lot of people, I'm getting concerned that wait times are going to spike not just the new Galaxy's Edge attractions, but for the majority of major attractions at Disneyland come opening day. It's hard to predict how steady those wait times are going to be, but I'm guessing that it's going to be a while before they start dipping below 3 hour waits. At first I considered asking about advancements in virtual queue waiting, but it doesn't seem like Disney has advanced further then what they's done at their water parks in WDW. Perhaps it requires the entire park integrating or the technology is just not up to par yet, but I also had another question.

If Disneyland knew people were going to rush to GE, why didn't they include a "people-eater" attraction a part of the plan? What I'm referring to specifically are rides like The Haunted Mansion, Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters and Spaceship Earth. Each of these rides tend to have reasonable waits, even on busy days, and still have the Disney storytelling magic to deliver. If someone were to tell me "Their not popular anymore", then explain the success of The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Undersea Adventure. That attraction has delighted a lot of people, especially those that cannot ride the E-Tickets, due to not being tall enough or having a medical condition.

With both attractions in Galaxy's Edge looking to be E-Tickets, you'd think that Disney would want to invest in one attraction that could serve those that cannot ride either. It might have even helped out both attractions to have a third for something to do if they didn't want to wait in lines that are likely going to be insane. Though I'd imagine this kind of ride having a long wait as well, it would have never stretched beyond an hour (which is about my wait time for HM).

We've even seen some cool advancements in "people-eater" style attractions with Mystic Manor in Hong Kong Disneyland. There are those that would argue that it may be one of the best new attractions Imagineering has come up with. i think that same passion could have applied to a Star Wars themed "people-eater" D-ticket and so.

What do you think?
    sigpic
    Be check out my movie review blog at:

Mastermind Film Productions

the wanted bigger and better!!!!!!!!!! They could care less that it will be so full of people. With the size of the land they could have easily done what you are suggesting. Comes down to $$$$$$$$$$$$
    These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
    My company had a special night at the park
    WdW trip report with WWoHP
    NYE 2011 trip report
    Mice Chat 7th anniversary
    Leap year 24 hour report
    New DCA trip report
    NYE 2012
    HKDL trip report

Comment

Isn't Rise of the Resistance basically the same ride as Mystic Manor without the over-complicated preshow? I assume it will be since it is trackless, meaning that a set of cars will be timed to be in one room before moving on to another. I don't think that ride will have as many issues as the Millenium Falcon ride. However this is going the very first time a trackless dark ride has been done in a US park so it could take some time and getting use to. I'm also surprised this one won't be getting a single rider considering the seating arrangements in each car.

Comment

Originally posted by RforFilm View Post
        If Disneyland knew people were going to rush to GE, why didn't they include a "people-eater" attraction a part of the plan?
        I think the meta-answer to that question is another question: "What is the overarching purpose of Star Wars Land to Disney's corporate executives?"

Not the purpose of the land as dreamed by imagineers or anticipated by fans, but as envisioned by the corporate executives who bought Lucasfilm, gave WDI their marching orders, chose from the various pitches, mandated the budgets, and greenlit the project. And not only the executives who performed those functions at the project's inception, but the new executives in Disney's revolving-door management culture who replaced the original execs, brought in their own priorities and teams, and took over the supervision of each step of development and construction.

And that's Star Wars Land. Not Carsland (a creative executive called the shots). Not Toontown (different management hierarchy). Not New Orleans Square (different company).

What is the overarching purpose of Star Wars Land to the executives who called the shots on what would be in it and what would not?

(Hints: Eisner envisioned Disneyland as a brand promotion platform a la Universal and selected consumer products retailer Paul Pressler to run Parks. Eisner's protege and successor, Bob Iger, continued Eisner's vision for Disneyland and selected consumer products marketer Bob Chapek to run Parks.)
        Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 01-31-2019, 04:02 PM.
        "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
        it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
        together with every variety of recreation and fun,
        designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
        - Michael Eisner

Comment

There are several reasons for the lack of "People Eater Rides" over the years, (including one reason, I'm pretty sure I going to get flack for).

1. Management: Differing Managment have caused some issues with ride capacity. One example, was the nixed decision over retrofitting the subs, for the Nemo version. This would of allowed riders to exit on one side and new riders enter on another. It would decrease the wait times notably, allowing more riders per hour(RPH). It was nixed, because by Management due to the "high cost".

2. Decline of Movie-Theater Attractions: In early 2000s, Disney had 3 3D shows, that could accommodate large groups. Fast foward today, and all 3 are closed. In addition, Golden Dreams, another theater attraction was axed during DCA2.0. When Lincoln 2.0 was introduced, the seating was decreased in the theater from 300 to 100. These declines could be blamed on the lack of intrest / no repeatability for Movie theater attractions, which are also not live, like Frozen, Mickey's Magical Map, and Fantasimic.

3. Lack of Onimover rides: Why Disney dropped the ball on these types of rides (for decades!), is anyone's guess. As Little Mermaid, Buzz and Haunted Mansion show, you can pull in riders like crazy, with this system. And yet, Disney still built 4 non-onimover dark rides in the last 25 years!*

4 Imagineering's Ride Designs: Before you bring out the torches and start the Mob, hear me out. The last 20ish years of new Disneyland D/E-Ticket rides(not counting rethemes or new versions) have roughly the same thing. They are 'intimate rides', with ride vehicles only holding 6 to 8 riders per ride car. Midway Mania, Radiator Springs Racers, Monster's Inc, Smugglers Run, and Rise of the Resistance all fit the bill.

And while there have been exceptions(like Screamin, Soarin, and TOT) most rides cars are small, causing low RPH. Compare to Pirates, Small World and Indiana Jones, which all can fit about twice the size in each boat or car.

*Roger Rabbit's, Winnie the Pooh, Midway Mania, Superstar Limo/Monster's Inc for those wondering about the 4 dark rides.

Comment

I suppose they could up the capacity by making the rides shorter. It's a shame that it's too late to suggest this for Rise of the Resistance but maybe there's still time to cut the Smuggler's Run movie in half and get more people in there.

Honestly people, the negativity here is a bit much lately. The Rise of the Resistance experience will be at least twice as long as Indy but the hourly capacity will still be the same. And if you count the pre-show the entire thing could end up being upwards of half an hour so maybe try to keep an open mind at least. Of course the lines will be crazy in the beginning. Did anyone honestly expect the first Star Wars based attractions ever to be a walk on from the very first day?

Comment

Originally posted by DLcub View Post
              Honestly people, the negativity here is a bit much lately.
              Not at all. Given the variety of misfires and screwups that management has pulled since the opening of DCA 1.0, the amount of skepticism on this forum about Star Wars Land is entirely appropriate.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

I think the meta-answer to that question is another question: "What is the overarching purpose of Star Wars Land to Disney's corporate executives?"

Not the purpose of the land as dreamed by imagineers or anticipated by fans, but as envisioned by the corporate executives who bought Lucasfilm, gave WDI their marching orders, chose from the various pitches, mandated the budgets, and greenlit the project. And not only the executives who performed those functions at the project's inception, but the new executives in Disney's revolving-door management culture who replaced the original execs, brought in their own priorities and teams, and took over the supervision of each step of development and construction.

And that's Star Wars Land. Not Carsland (a creative executive called the shots). Not Toontown (different management hierarchy). Not New Orleans Square (different company).

What is the overarching purpose of Star Wars Land to the executives who called the shots on what would be in it and what would not?

(Hints: Eisner envisioned Disneyland as a brand promotion platform a la Universal and selected consumer products retailer Paul Pressler to run Parks. Eisner's protege and successor, Bob Iger, continued Eisner's vision for Disneyland and selected consumer products marketer Bob Chapek to run Parks.)
                A lot of the answers to the OP are here. There is a lot to be said about Carsland being overseen he who will not be named. It was a massive name both on the business side of things and the creative side of things, someone with enough weight to push a creative vision through, those individuals are becoming fewer and fewer in large corporations not just Disney. Boards and CEOs do not want empire building in their companies, as creative empires are counter-intuitive to quarterly results. If someone becomes so important to the company's ongoing success, see he who shall not be named at Pixar, then they have too much control over creative aspects that affect the bottom line. Without those individuals, however, there lacks a cohesive and financially independent vision, and as Wiggins said you instead get a revolving door of management looking to ensure that highest short term profits.

The other big thing, BIG rides sell. A massive E-ticket is sexy, the crowds love them, social media loves them, press love them. A D-ticket, even a good one has far less fanfare, and therefore drives far less business. Sure, one could have been tacked on to GE, but the cost benefits analysis probably said it was not worth it as guest satisfaction will be high enough without it, at least high enough that new guests will replace disgruntled ones due to the marketability of the two other rides.

Comment

Originally posted by linkeq2001 View Post
                  Sure, one could have been tacked on to GE, but the cost benefits analysis probably said it was not worth it as guest satisfaction will be high enough without it, at least high enough that new guests will replace disgruntled ones due to the marketability of the two other rides.
                  Or so they hope. I think in the past this strategy would have worked. But today with social media as quick and bloodthirsty as it can be, I wonder if those days are over? We'll soon find out.
                  Last edited by tarheelalum; 02-02-2019, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Honestly people, the negativity here is a bit much lately.
                    To say the least. One of the reasons why Micechat sees less and less activity over time...

Comment

Originally posted by denyuntilcaught View Post

To say the least. One of the reasons why Micechat sees less and less activity over time...
                      MiceChat is not seeing less and less activity over time. Yes, our traffic is much less than it was between 2005 and 2010, but it has remained steady for the past two to three years. I became a moderator in 2016, and traffic has not decreased. The number of new members signing up each day is slightly more than it was back in 2016.

I think our traffic will steadily increase as the opening of SWL approaches, and then it will fall off again, which is to be expected.

Comment

The short answer why WDI is incapable of creating an E Ticket that can get 2,500 or more per hour is because TDA and Burbank executives are too stupid to ask for one, and are too cheap to pay for it.

Last edited by Westsider; 02-03-2019, 03:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Westsider View Post
                          The short answer why WDI is incapable of creating an E Ticket that can get 2,500 or more per hour is because TDA and Burbank executives are too stupid to ask for one, and are too cheap to pay for it.
                          Cool. Good to know that 1 billion (per land) is considered cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoMatt View Post
                            MiceChat is not seeing less and less activity over time. Yes, our traffic is much less than it was between 2005 and 2010, but it has remained steady for the past two to three years. I became a moderator in 2016, and traffic has not decreased. The number of new members signing up each day is slightly more than it was back in 2016.

I think our traffic will steadily increase as the opening of SWL approaches, and then it will fall off again, which is to be expected.
                            Regardless if there is less activity or not, there is still a lot of negativity posted here. I've never been a very active member, but ever since the whole anti-PC POTC discussions started escalating with the latest refurb is when I really started to feel that this place has gotten too toxic for me to enjoy it.

I didn't expect to read such vile, sexist stuff on a Disney forum, written by supposed adults, but that's where we are. And while I'm sure the mods do a fine job of cleaning the place up I also feel like the purists are setting a hostile and generally negative tone, and I know I'm not the only one who thinks so.

Comment

You complained about negativity a few posts back yet your comments come off pretty snarky as well.

Comment

Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post

You complained about negativity a few posts back yet your comments come off pretty snarky as well.
                                You think my sarcasm is on the same level as calling a 2 billion dollar project cheap?

Comment

I've never been a very active member, but ever since the whole anti-PC POTC discussions started escalating with the latest refurb is when I really started to feel that this place has gotten too toxic for me to enjoy it.

I didn't expect to read such vile, sexist stuff on a Disney forum, written by supposed adults, but that's where we are. And while I'm sure the mods do a fine job of cleaning the place up I also feel like the purists are setting a hostile and generally negative tone, and I know I'm not the only one who thinks so
                                  This is nothing new. "MiceChat has gotten too negative recently" and "the negativity has driven members away" have been whined about by Disney's defenders since 2006, as the old threads prove to anyone who researches them.

One thing has changed -- the number of posts warning that "Disney management won't listen to us because of all the silly complaints" has dropped to zero. In the years since the forum was founded, it has become obvious to all but the most diehard defenders that Disney doesn't listen to anything but their bottom line.

Not only is $1billion cheap in today's world, Disney's customers will be lucky if 60% of it is actually spent on the physical land. The rest goes to pay for Disney's ginormous overhead.

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 02-03-2019, 02:12 PM.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

Comment

You think my sarcasm is on the same level as calling a 2 billion dollar project cheap?
                                    Calling Disney management cheap is a criticism of Disney management. Like many defenders of Disney on this forum, your snark is directed at other MiceChatters -- for no reason other than they have a different opinion than yours.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Calling Disney management cheap is a criticism of Disney management.
                                      BINGO
                                      like you have state
                                      Customers come primarily for the branded-lifestyle experience
                                      , of which "rides" are a secondary part.
                                      Looks like that what happening SW/GE !
                                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

No I think yours is worse. You are complaining about other people's legitimate complaints. You appear to be in favor of Disneyland's decisions. Others here are not. There are plenty of Disneyland cheerleader websites and forums but this is not one of them. People here actually love Disneyland like its a member of our family. Many of us were raised going to the parks. But people here have an opinion and tell it like it is and call TDA out when they screw up.

I personally think building GE in Disneyland was just about the stupidest thing possible for Disney. DCA was made for it and building it there would have solved problems instead of creating more problems for Disneyland. And all of the other complaints here are 100% on point. A large share of the billion dollars Disney spent on GE will go to corporate blackholes and not ever show up as part of the show. So yes 1 billion kind of is doing it on the cheap for Disneyland.

Comment

Working...
                                        X