Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POLL Star Wars GE: will be a Hit or a Flop?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POLL Star Wars GE: will be a Hit or a Flop?

Will SWGE live up to the hype and be the greatest Disneyland expansion ever?
    It will be everything and more you could have ever dreamed of as a child.
    38.78%
    It will be great, but the crowds and lack of attractions/capacity will be a bit of a let down.
    48.98%
    SWGE crowds and ride capacity/breakdowns will be overwhelming and ultimately disappointing.
    12.24%

The poll is expired.

Or maybe a 4th choice: Nobody knows until it opens?

Comment

My prediction is that Star Wars Land will be an operational and technological nightmare, a frustrating guest experience, and an enormous hit. No matter how lengthy the tech downtime, how poor the guest experience, how numerous the complaints, or how bad the reviews, it will continue to draw overflow crowds as long as the Star Wars brand remains popular -- thus proving to management what they've always suspected, that the brand is what brings in the bucks, not WDI's artistry, technology, and eye candy. Management's conclusion will be that building big-budget lands and high-tech rides is an unnecessary waste of money. As a result, "MarvelLand" will have its budget slashed to the bone: When it opens with a low-rent combination of C-ticket rides, shows, meets-and-greets, food courts, merch, and "event" upsells, it too will be an enormous hit, only slightly second to Star Wars Land -- further proving to management that no matter how cheaply it is executed, the brand is what pulls in the customers.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
      designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
      - Michael Eisner

Comment

I think if TDA tries to pull another DCA 1.0 with Marvel land they will pay for it through the nose. At least I hope so. I hate it when people reward bad behavior of companies. Apple is finally sarting to see some pain due to the years of half #$% overpriced products. Hopefully Disney won't go down that path.

Comment

Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post
          I think if TDA tries to pull another DCA 1.0 with Marvel land they will pay for it through the nose.
          Disney won't pull another DCA 1.0 -- but not for the reasons we think. Their conclusion was that DCA 1.0 failed not because of poor design and lackluster creativity, but simply because it didn't have wall-to-wall character brands.

They won't make that mistake with MarvelLand.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

Comment

I think I'll just wait to actually experience it myself before I predict utter success or utter failure and the long lasting consequences of either. I will make this prediction...those that rail against Disney at every turn will hate it...because in fact they already do and have as already made up their minds.

Comment

SW/GE
              Guest Experience nor viewpoint
              , is not going be the same.....

It's about Brand Marketing !
              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

It will be amazing!
                These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                My company had a special night at the park
                WdW trip report with WWoHP
                NYE 2011 trip report
                Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                Leap year 24 hour report
                New DCA trip report
                NYE 2012
                HKDL trip report

Comment

Originally posted by Figment56 View Post
                  I make this comment based on the fact that Disney critics such as yourself have no problem criticizing attractions that are not open, have never been ridden by anyone, and cannot possibly be judged before their opening in any way shape or form. But I'm a Disney defender because I refuse to criticize the unknown. I'm a Disney defender because I'm sick of listening to the same few posters rattle off the same regurgitated comments post after post after post after post after post. Constant criticisms about everything. Hopefully I'll get banned from Micechat. It's really not fun anymore anyway. Micechat truly has become the unhappiest Place on Earth...
                  It's clear that the opinions of some posters, mine among them, are upsetting to you. You've been a member of MiceChat since 2015. It's puzzling why, after that many years, when you see the name "Mr Wiggins" on a post (or the names of other posters whose opinions you don't like), you seem unable to skip over it, and instead seem compelled to read and respond to it. If you're indeed "sick of listening to the same few posters," who you claim "rattle off the same regurgitated comments post after post after post after post after post," why would you want to continue reading them? (And why would you want to get banned from MiceChat? Your posts have broken none of the forum's rules.)

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 02-11-2019, 01:29 AM.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                    My prediction is that Star Wars Land will be an operational and technological nightmare, a frustrating guest experience, and an enormous hit. No matter how lengthy the tech downtime, how poor the guest experience, how numerous the complaints, or how bad the reviews, it will continue to draw overflow crowds as long as the Star Wars brand remains popular -- thus proving to management what they've always suspected, that the brand is what brings in the bucks, not WDI's artistry, technology, and eye candy. Management's conclusion will be that building big-budget lands and high-tech rides is an unnecessary waste of money. As a result, "MarvelLand" will have its budget slashed to the bone: When it opens with a low-rent combination of C-ticket rides, shows, meets-and-greets, food courts, merch, and "event" upsells, it too will be an enormous hit, only slightly second to Star Wars Land -- further proving to management that no matter how cheaply it is executed, the brand is what pulls in the customers.
                    I think this prediction will more or less prove true. It certainly came true when I visited the Avatar land its opening summer. The technological failures I suffered through were fairly meager, only becoming debilitating if you did not frequent Disney blogs and forums to know how to beat the crowds. The majority of Disney's guests are not in that category, and that is why many felt cheated after waiting hours for a 6-minute boat ride that is really only worth a 20-minute wait at most (luckily I was prepared and made use of FastPass+). I predict something similar will happen with the new Millennium Falcon simulator, even if die-hard Star Wars fans like myself will relish the chance to pilot the ship. The magnum opus of Avatar land was certainly great and by all accounts the Rise of the Resistance ride will have some unprecedented ride technology (hover for spoiler:
                    Spoiler
                    elevator lifts for entire ride cars!
                    ).

This is, of course, assuming that Star Wars brings in the crowds that Avatar does. Given its place in American culture and history, I truly believe the crowd impact will be multiplied by a factor of 10, exacerbating every single problem to a level Disney has not yet seen. They will, of course, judge this a success. I think the nature of the Star Wars brand will keep it in vogue for at least another decade.

For better or worse, I don't believe this opening will have any effect on Marvel Land. I believe Marvel Land has already had its budget slashed. Pixar Pier still brought in crowds this summer and the Marvel Cinematic Universe lacks any sort of immersive features that come along with fantasy or sci-fi worlds despite incorporating elements of both. With this in mind, the new area will just be a lot of painted metal sheets, another 3rd blaster ride (yawn), the reskin of the ToT, and a single E-Ticket in a roller coaster that will basically be an improved version of Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. Meet and greets and cheap restaurants and merchandise will end up just how Toy Story Land is now. WDI won't get to incorporate the excellent new technology being pioneered like a swinging pendulum coaster or flying stunt animatronics. And even if the land is a hit, I doubt it will have the staying power of a fully-immersive Westworld-style experience to the degree that Star Wars land will.
                    Last edited by WaltDisney'sAlec; 02-10-2019, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Figment56 View Post
                      Hopefully I'll get banned from Micechat. It's really not fun anymore anyway. Micechat truly has become the unhappiest Place on Earth...
                      First I don't see what you would be banned for. So on that comment, I think you are being over dramatic.

Secondly, as far as I know, you reside in the United States (I may be wrong and if so, I apologize) so I don't think you are being forced or coerced into reading MiceChat posts, and more importantly, having to slog through all of Mr. Wiggins comments. So, it would stand to reason, you can preempt being banned by choosing not to participate anymore. I believe free will is still legal in the United States.

If on the other hand if you reside in some dictatorship and are being force-fed a diet of "Mr. Wiggins' posts" against your will, then keep pluggin' away. I'm sure you can creatively string a sentence together which would eventually get you banned.

Comment

On the surface ... it's pretty obvious....................
                        with overwhelming crowds..... Every mad Star Wars fan within a car's drive reach .... Disney and many fans will make the loud proclamation how wonderful it all is. WDI will have put enough "eye candy" Pop ... as with Carsland. This is Iger's biggest opus to Disneyland itself. He'll leave the company after the fact many have proclaimed him the "Disney King".

Under the surface ...
                        it's another story!
                        MY SIGNATURE:
                        Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post
                          and by all accounts the Rise of the Resistance ride will have some unprecedented ride technology (hover for spoiler:
                          Spoiler
                          elevator lifts for entire ride cars!
                          ).
                          I'm sure the ride will be amazing, but why is that so innovative? Newsflash...Okay, won't spoil your "spoiler":
                          Spoiler
                          That's been happening for years in Universal's "Transformers" rides. the "EVAC" vehicles moves up to a second level via an elevator.

...only those are vehicles holding 12 people rather than just 8.

Comment

Originally posted by 9oldmen View Post
                            I'm sure the ride will be amazing, but why is that so innovative? Newsflash...Okay, won't spoil your "spoiler":
                            Spoiler
                            That's been happening for years in Universal's "Transformers" rides. the "EVAC" vehicles moves up to a second level via an elevator.

...only those are vehicles holding 12 people rather than just 8.
                            I thought the Transformers EVAC vehicles were Kuka arms rolling along ramps? I haven't seen ride layout prints, though. I was more or less referring to the
                            Spoiler
                            two-story drop that is supposed to occur during the escape pod moment rather than just the elevator lift themselves
                            . There are, of course, the numerous patents we've seen filed about blaster and lightsaber technology that Disney will have at their disposal that add to their innovation. And since the only animatronics Disneyland has added in the last decade are Redd the pirate, the Hatbox Ghost, and C3PO piloting Star Tours, I think we're in for a treat with that technology as well.

Either way, I much prefer the smaller cars Disney offers to the jam-packed rides at Universal. They definitely hit the nail on the head with the Harry Potter rides, but Jurassic Park, and the Minions/Jimmy Fallon rides, a lot of the rides feel a little impersonal to me. That's just my personal preference, though.

Comment

I think there are different audiences that will have different views. For me, GE will be a nice addition when I can finally get in there to see it. I'm in no rush, but imagine by the time I go it will be a fun adventure (and by then some of the kinks will be worked out). For old school Disneyland fans (like my wife) GE is an intrusion that does not fit with Disneyland and will likely be a disappointment no matter what because of the sacrifices that were made to accommodate it. Kids are just going to see it as one more land and won't break stride.

There is one more group that is important, IMHO, and not always considered. GE is going to drawn in huge crowds of people who would never have come to DLR otherwise. Star Wars fans are loyal and fanatical in many cases. Even many Star Wars fans who despise all things Disney will visit GE. Some of them will almost certainly fall in love with other aspects of the park and will become DLR fans too. No matter what, there will be a large contingent of Star Wars fans who will consider GE to be Nirvana and will love everything about it, even when things don't work or the queues are monstrously long.

As has been said by those smarter than I, "Where you stand depends on where you sit". People like me will probably like it, people like my wife will dislike (or hate) it, and tons of Star Wars fans will be beside themselves with happiness.

Personally, I'm considering a trip during opening weekend (probably can't find a room - will have to stay with cousins, lol) and spending most of my time in DCA. I bet the queues will be practically empty in DCA that week. Might even be a good time to visit Fantasy Land as I imagine most Star Wars folks will be at GE.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                                SWGE is the very definition of a big-budget land with high-tech attractions. If it is extremely popular, which we agree it will be, it would be a pretty big stretch of the imagination, even for Disney management, to attribute its success solely to the Star Wars brand. Even if there are considerable technical and operational problems, at first, just being immersed in the (very expensive to build) environment will likely provide people a fair amount of enjoyment. Yes, there will be a lot of people that primarily enjoy it because it is Star Wars, but even from the views we've already gleaned, it's obvious that the rich details and scope of the structures and pseudo-natural environments will be engrossing enough that people with no particular knowledge of Star Wars should be thoroughly impressed - especially once the crush of people lightens up. Even if Disney management is a bucket of idiots, they would be hard pressed to believe that they would have as big a hit with cut-rate backdrops and a couple of off-the-shelf rides. I think the lackluster attraction of Pixar Pier should help reinforce the notion that going cheap does not draw the crowds.

I know that, as discussed elsewhere, there is already an expectation that there will be technical and operational hiccups when SWGE opens, and the crowds will definitely be overwhelming, but to predict that it will all be a nightmare is pretty pessimistic, especially if that prediction extends past the early stages of the land's existence. For quite a while, SWGE will be extremely crowded and that will result in a lot of guests getting cranky (even though their decision to be there at the time directly contributes to the problem) but I don't see why Disney would commit to open the land at the beginning of the summer, rather than closer to the end of summer, if they haven't had enough time to flush out at least most of the issues that have been identified during dress rehearsal and ride testing. Yes, it would be advantageous to open earlier, but not if things are in such a state that it generates constant headaches and endless complaints. But maybe I just lean towards blind optimism.
                                Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

Comment

I think it'll be a success... and a logistical nightmare as well.

Comment

The crowding is going to be very difficult in the short-term. It will be mania for a couple of months with effects spilling throughout the park.

The longer-term is more difficult to predict. What we’re really trying to understand is how many guests visiting because of Galaxy’s Edge are already Disneyland fans, and how many only like Star Wars. Of the people who only like Star Wars, how many will become Disneyland fans after they’ve visited the parks? If the Star Wars only fans don’t become more interested in everything else the park has to offer then crowding won’t be too bad in the long-term.

That might make Galaxy’s Edge a failure in the eyes of management, but it won’t be a problem for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Co Foo View Post
                                      If the Star Wars only fans don’t become more interested in everything else the park has to offer then crowding won’t be too bad in the long-term.
                                      That might make Galaxy’s Edge a failure in the eyes of management, but it won’t be a problem for me.
                                      I also think Disney management very much wants Star Wars to increase their reach into new segments of park goers. They probably want that more than anything else. Disney management will be crushed if they cannot parlay the star wars people into the Disney fold.

Comment

Originally posted by BiggestDisneyFan View Post
                                        SWGE is the very definition of a big-budget land with high-tech attractions. If it is extremely popular, which we agree it will be, it would be a pretty big stretch of the imagination, even for Disney management, to attribute its success solely to the Star Wars brand. Even if there are considerable technical and operational problems, at first, just being immersed in the (very expensive to build) environment will likely provide people a fair amount of enjoyment. Yes, there will be a lot of people that primarily enjoy it because it is Star Wars, but even from the views we've already gleaned, it's obvious that the rich details and scope of the structures and pseudo-natural environments will be engrossing enough that people with no particular knowledge of Star Wars should be thoroughly impressed - especially once the crush of people lightens up. Even if Disney management is a bucket of idiots, they would be hard pressed to believe that they would have as big a hit with cut-rate backdrops and a couple of off-the-shelf rides. I think the lackluster attraction of Pixar Pier should help reinforce the notion that going cheap does not draw the crowds....
                                        I think that's all well said, but I would add some thoughts to the portion of your post that I highlighted. First, Disney's top management execs aren't dumb, they're the smartest people in the room at what they do.

Second, they wouldn't use Pixar brands as a comparison to Star Wars and Marvel -- Pixar, popular as it is, isn't in the same league. They would compare the ROI of Star Wars Land to Season of the Force and Summer of Heroes, which cost chump change but drew healthy crowds.

Third, don't underestimate the power of internal politics: SWL was greenlit by ex-Eisner CFO Tom "Avatarland" Staggs, who was subsequently booted off the corporate ladder by his former champion, Bob Iger, and replaced by Consumer Products marketing guru Bob Chapek (who is now touted as a likely successor to Iger). Part of Chapek's considerable corporate skill set is expertise in leveraging brands to maximize ROI. The ROI sweet spot for DLR includes minimum expenditure to achieve healthy attendance, fast greenlight-to-opening time, and the ability to make future updates at relative low cost. Variations on the SoF/SoH concept are really all they need to pack the Park and promote the brands, and it can be economically updated when another approach is needed.

Fourth, Disney Parks isn't in the "theme park" business in the sense that Walt and even Eisner were; they're in the business of using theme parks and brands to cross-promote each other, and (particularly under the Chapek regime) to do so with the lowest ROI possible. I think it's a certainty that Chapek would never have greenlit something as costly as Star Wars Land, for the simple reason that given the ginormous popularity of the brand, the Company doesn't need anything that elaborate to pack the park. Extreme overflow crowds don't help the bottom line -- people can't spend money in the park if they can't get into the park.

And fifth, as long as Disney has LucasFilm and Marvel in its portfolio, they don't consider Universal to be competition. The theory that SWL was needed to compete with Harry Potter Land got dumped along with Staggs.

Bottom line, there won't be anything remotely as elaborate or expensive as Star Wars Land greenlit for Disney's domestic parks as long as Chapek is calling the shots. And given the way his star is riding the rising profits of Disney Parks, that may turn out to be a very long time indeed.

Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 02-11-2019, 09:54 PM.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

Comment

Working...
                                        X