Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mre200200 View Post
    Mike, thanks for continuing the write-up. I'm enjoying following along. Great dark-ride photos. What kind of glass are you shooting with?

Sorry, didn't see the photography question at the top. I use my Nikon d5100 with 1.8 35mm on dark rides and my sigma 17-50mm 2.8 for jsut about anything else. I have borrowed some wide angle and 1.4 primes before from some buddies but I have to manually work those.

I made the mistake of upping ISO to 3200 for many of hte dark rides and doing manual focus rather than just manual settings. I should have known better. in 2015, I got some of hte best dark ride shots I have ever gotten. But, I keep trying to do better. By adjusting my settings, I rarely do get anything better. I should just stick with what I know works great.
    2018 Milestone Birthday Trip
    2017 Solo Birthday Trip
    2016 Solo trip and Club 33
    2015 Racing the Rain to Disneyland – Final part
    2015 Racing the Rain to Disneyland – Part 3
    2015 Racing the Rain to Disneyland – Part 2
    2015 Racing the Rain to Disneyland – Part 1

Comment

Our last day ☹
      Why do we have to leave? It is so fun here. But alas, this was the last 5:45 wake up call. Out and back in front of Disneyland after flying through security. Even wit the morning’s anticipation, I feel like the closing to the Mickey Mouse Club plays slowly throughout the day in my head.

Geared up and ready to break through the gates, we stormed through at 7am. As everyone knows, “Follow me and don’t go slowly or you will get left behind.” Our MO is to always do Fantasyland first and that means heading off to the second star on the right at Peter Pan. But first a picture.

We rode everything in Fantasyland. I took my youngest over to Autopia while my wife and oldest decided to tackle his first time on the Matterhorn. I waived this one off after hearing for the last several years about how painful it is for people as tall as me.
      Time for some fun old-fashioned knee breaking.

Afterward, we headed over to Nemo while they rode the Matterhorn again.

Toward the end of Nemo, I thought something was amiss as we went through a much longer dark period than I remembered from a couple of nights before. It turns out that the whole underwater volcano scene was not working that morning and was dark. Bummer.

I got some more pictures of my youngest before we all met up to get some family pictures in front of the castle and at the Partners statue.

One of my major pet peeves is that I hate asking anyone to take a picture of our family. No, not because I am shy, but because everyone who says yes is grossly incompetent in how to take a picture. I am not asking you to adjust settings on my DSLR, just take a nice picture of the four of us on our phone or pre-dialed in DSLR. Literally, point and click. Do you know how many times we have gotten a decent picture? Probably less than 10%. And since I am the one who is behind the camera always, I tend not to exist in many of our pictures.

Not today. We and I were getting pictures or else.

It turns out even the photopass photographers in front of the castle weren’t up to the job. Normally, the photo pass photogs are great and the pictures are perfect. Ugh.
      The family sat out the Partners pic and got a churro. Not me.

I was happy now.

We spent the rest of the morning checking out the rest of Adventureland and New Orleans Square. We got our last rides on Pirates, Haunted Mansion and more. We finished up our last ride of the day on the Disneyland Railroad. There be dinosaurs to see.

Knowing it would be best to grab some lunch before we headed to the airport, we struggled with where we should have our last meal. Then my wife suggested Trader Sam’s. A perfect idea was we couldn’t go the night we got in as it is age limited after 8pm. We said good bye to the Happiest Place on Earth. Tears were shed, fingernail marks were left in concrete, attempts were made to go back through the gates. You know, the usual for grown men.

As we were walking out, I realized we didn’t even stop and look at the Christmas tree at the entrance. All this time and not a look. Better late than never.

We got a table outside as the small inside was already full. We sampled a whole bunch of different things and took our time enjoying our libations.

Alas all good things must come to an end. We slowly walked back to the Grand to get our luggage and a ride to the airport.

The uber driver was interesting. He nearly hit a couple of PEOPLE, broke numerous traffic laws and nearly took out a couple of cars. So, I guess we did get one last ride in.
      As always, if you hang with me at Disneyland, no quitting until we are done. It was a well-earned nap.

Here are the last step totals for a very short partial day. All totaled, it was 30 miles in 2+ days, not counting our arrival night.

Initially, I had thought I could tough it out and skip 2019 to avoid the Star Wars crowds. That took 5 weeks for me to cave and start getting the shakes about not heading back for nearly 2 years. I almost got my wife to reconsider going later this year with a friend of ours, but emergency complete replacement of all my pool equipment leaves that very much up in the air. So, goodbye for now to Disneyland. I hope to be back sooner rather than later.
      2017 Solo Birthday Trip

Comment

Originally posted by mpabis525 View Post

Nice shirt!

Originally posted by mpabis525 View Post
        We said good bye to the Happiest Place on Earth. Tears were shed, fingernail marks were left in concrete, attempts were made to go back through the gates. You know, the usual for grown men.
        Made me chuckle.

Thanks for taking the time to finish up your report. It was an enjoyable read.
        Visit my blog at http://flowerstales.blogspot.com/

I stayed overnight in the Disneyland Dream Suite! Read all about it here!
        Joe's Epic Overnight Disneyland Dream Suite Trip Report

Comment

Originally posted by mre200200 View Post

Nice shirt!

Made me chuckle.

Thanks for taking the time to finish up your report. It was an enjoyable read.
          Glad you liked the report. Once I saw that shirt, there was no way I could pass it up.
          2017 Solo Birthday Trip

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
          Working...
          X