Announcement

Collapse
See more
See less

Why my posts about DL and the Parks have become more negative...

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] Why my posts about DL and the Parks have become more negative...

It's no surprise that while I love Disneyland and hold it special in my heart, I'm also a large critic when it comes to most of their decisions. When we get an Indiana Jones Adventure, Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout and an atmospheric restaurant, I'll praise it for continuing to help the parks move forward. When i bring up the overcrowding of APs, an over reliance on IPs and bad attractions like Superstar Limo, I'll be quick to voice an opinion. They may not always be everyone's favorite opinion, I try to be as fair as possible. I want to see the attractions work. I want to see everyone have a fun time. I want to see everything seems like an extension of Walt's vision of a constantly evolving area. So why have my opinions on what's come or coming to the park been more worrisome then usual?

Because I'm getting concerned that Disney is falling into the same traps that had happened before from the later Eisner era.

You might be thinking "We've moved beyond the budget cutting era of guys like that and Paul Pressler from damaging the parks. We've got hit movies and more properties then ever to build on. Disney is on top of the world". And that is true, Disney is in a better position then ever before. Like any company, it's expanding to continue providing entertainment like never before. But I've noticed some striking similarities to whats going on.

1. Annual Passholders are both a blessing and a curse.AP holders are the most loyal of customers and Disney knows this. Back in the 90s, Disneyland held a lot of exclusive events for the AP holders. These events got more and more crowded by people who wanted to visit whenever they wanted, and the company rewarded them with more...most notably the previews. This is often a good idea to hear what the biggest fans have to say before the launch a new attraction. But they also know that they tend to be critical to a point where suggestions may go unwarranted because average guests (and I mean the out of towner families visiting) won't notice.What broke this for a while were the Light Magic show...parade thing and the preview days of DCA. Both were met with critical negativity that caused a lot of people to not renew, as they felt they weren't getting their money's worth.As if to say that Disney owes them for the time spent in their parks. Once both parks got back on track after 2007, the AP started to go more often. Disney knew (and still does) that by offering more daily promotions, they would be able to encourage AP holders to keeping coming back more then ever. But with the underwhelming response to Pixar Pier, I'm thinking that the overcrowding, long waits and limited capacity could be another element that causes more negative reactions from AP holders. If they stop coming back due to high crowds and underpricing (yep, I still think Disney needed to charge way more), who is Disney going to cater to?

2. Getting into Industries without experience with too much confidence.Disney not only thrived within the world of theme parks, but they became the guide on how to make any amusement park better. Better rides, more thematic elements, disciplined & engaging employees, and spectacular shows are all things Disney does to make them one of the best. While I'm not a fortune teller, I can say that theme park technology wants to evolve with guest interaction and storytelling as the next frontier. It's been implemented at some places (I've heard about the evermore park in Utah, but haven't visited), a major company hasn't gone further with it. According to a lot of sources, Disney had wanted to make Galaxy's Edge more interactive then ever with your actions on Smuggler's Run and Rise of the Resistance determining how you can interact in the Cantina and with the other characters.I did another forum about how this was going to work with other guests that didn't want to play a role and just wanted to enjoy the attractions, though I'm still thinking about another time that Disney got involved in an industry that hadn't been experienced but still proceeded: arcades with Disneyquest, local kids clubs with Disney Club, adult orientated entertainment with early DCA, and the European market with Euro Disneyland. All of them had their troubles and Disney had to make changes. Some even closed. Even though Disney can recover, these were expensive risks that didn't pay off and they had to figure out how to deliver the same entertainment without breaking the bank. I'd rather not go into Disney+ streaming, but that I'm also seeing as a potential risk that could do heavy damage should it not sell well.

3. Being too cynical about itself.If there was one word I'd use to describe Disney in the late 90's through early 2000's, that would be cynical. Disney started to recognize that their older film tropes were becoming dated. So at first they did the right thing by making their characters stronger in Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and The Lion King. But they also took a little too much inspiration from what teenagers and adults wanted and applied that to their media. A long with more focus on merchandising, a lot of attractions like DL Innoventions, Superstar Limo, and probably the worst of the bunch, The Enchanted Tiki Room Under New Management. Many of these tried so hard to get laughs that they made fun of the elements that make Disney classic. Much of it insulted the fans that liked what was done and even seemed to forget that Disney had already done well in moving their fairy tales forward. Just because you bring up you want to be hip, modern, and want their money doesn't make it less cynical when your that open about it. This is probably the least I thought about...until Ralph Breaks the Internet came out and may have set itself into a dangerous course. Many people kept talking about the scene in which Venelope talked with the Disney princesses about old tropes and made fun of them. There's nothing wrong with pointing out flaws, but with the way people were saying it was a "big game changer" and "revolutionary", they seem to forget that we've done well with making characters and stories better without being a bully about it.It felt a bit uneasy to see Sarah Silverman to riff in an annoying way similar to how Gilbert Gottfried did when he became overused as Iago. It dosen't help that when the company changed hands, it was agreed that no more Disney sequels were going to happen, but along with this, now were getting Frozen 2, potential multiple Zootopiasequels, and maybe more. I know that this aren't the same as the direct-to-video sequels from before, but if Disney is putting more effort here then in original content (yes, I'm also counting the live action remakes they've done), then it's just the same as admitting you'd rather play it safe then risking it.

Call it being a worry-wart or overly cautious, but I really hope that Disney knows what their doing with their new offerings.
    sigpic
    Be check out my movie review blog at:

Mastermind Film Productions
Working...
X