Announcement

Collapse

The Future of the MiceChat Forums

See more
See less

Will GE make the other lands feel outdated?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] Will GE make the other lands feel outdated?

In today's MC Podcast, Dusty Sage poses the question, Will GE make the rest of Disneyland feel outdated because of how immersive it is with the Disney Play app?

Would you like to see, for example, NOS have the hypertheme of Jean Lafitte or the Adventueland Challenge theme created by the castmember, Wade Hobby, fully realized?

Perhaps in terms of tech, yes, but the other lands, especially the original plus NOS, are timeless in a way GE can never be.

I think the other lands are fine as is. I've always felt immersed in Disneyland, without interactive queues, without roaming entertainment, without interactive games like WDW has (which are cool, but not a good idea with DL's limited space). I think people are so immersed in their tech and VR, that they've lost site of the simple things. How immersive do you need to get before you disassociate from reality? People are already becoming more depressed as is.

Comment

I don't see how it's possible for Tomorrowland to feel any more outdated than it already does.
      "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - ​Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by greenalfonzo View Post
        I don't see how it's possible for Tomorrowland to feel any more outdated than it already does.
        Ah yes, that's true, Tomorrowland definitely needs a major overhaul.

Comment

Tomorrowland for sure will get even more scrutiny. But maybe that’s a good thing and we’ll finally see it get some improvements or a complete overhaul.
          Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
          Walt Disney World
          Disneyland Paris

1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989
          1990, 1992, 1993

2000, 2001, 2006, 2007, 2009
          2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2017, 2/2019, 11/2019

Comment

Have you seen the Disney Play app?

Disney's apps are embarrassingly bad. Whoever designs them has no clue as to what they are doing.

Comment

Nothing will disassociate me more from experienceing Disneyland than a bunch of people with their phones out and eyes glued to the screen.

I don't think the Imagineers put so much work into the small details just for people to do what they do 24/7 when not at Disneyland...be on their phones.

If I were King for a day, I would require phones to be set to Airplane mode upon entering the Park.

If you need an "app" inorder to experience Disneyland, then you have a serious problem.

Comment

Originally posted by stovk View Post
                Nothing will disassociate me more from experienceing Disneyland than a bunch of people with their phones out and eyes glued to the screen.

I don't think the Imagineers put so much work into the small details just for people to do what they do 24/7 when not at Disneyland...be on their phones.

If I were King for a day, I would require phones to be set to Airplane mode upon entering the Park.

If you need an "app" in order to experience Disneyland, then you have a serious problem.
                I can agree to a point, it is pretty sad to see teenagers or adults ignoring their family + friends or the entire world around them to text "that one person" who isn't with them at Disney.. OR snapchating/ Instagraming non stop and holding up the flow of ques drives me bonkers. HOWEVER families and groups still need to make calls or text each other. So airplane mode I dont think so but the Disney app is pretty useless unless you have Max pass.

check me out on Flickr
                www.flickr.com/photos/xsorsburn

Comment

I one ,that turn the phone off.......
                  I do not go to Disneyland , to play on the phone !
                  How immersive does one, need to be?.......
                  in order to experience
                  Disneyland
                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by DznyFan17 View Post
                    HOWEVER families and groups still need to make calls or text each other.
                    Actually, no they don't. And if they do, they can do what we did in the old days and find a pay phone, make the call, and be on their way. You will survive, trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by stovk View Post

If you need an "app" inorder to experience Disneyland, then you have a serious problem.
                      Well said! Look up and smell the roses, and enjoy the park through your eyes, not your phone.

Comment

Originally posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
                        Have you seen the Disney Play app?

Disney's apps are embarrassingly bad. Whoever designs them has no clue as to what they are doing.
                        I'm pretty sure that app was only created so that Disney no longer have to invest money in creating those elaborate interactive queues. Maybe it's because I already know just about everything about Disney but I find the trivia stuff they have all over the parks (and in the app) to be stupid and pointless.

Comment

Nothing wrong with having your phone out while you are at Disneyland so long as you are mindful of your surroundings and courteous to others. Obviously stopping in the middle of a crowded walkway to send a message/make a call (unless it's a life or death emergency) or taking out an incredibly bright screen in the middle of a dark ride where others are affected (such as Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc.) are all examples of folks using their technology disrespectfully.

But in general, if you happen to want to look at your phone while you're in line for a ride (Lookin' at you, Astro Orbiter!), waiting for a parade, sitting on a park bench, enjoying a meal or otherwise just minding your own business in such a way that you aren't negatively affecting others, then I say by all means you are welcome to it! If others see you doing this in these scenarios and still can't process or accept in their mind that you might still be having a good time, then the problem rests with them, not with you.

Back to the actual topic at hand.. Out dated? I don't think so, I think the other lands will be just fine. I agree with some of the others here that Tomorrowland feels dated and needs the most work, but on a whole so many other attractions in the park are still capable of "wowing" young children and first time visitors with their techniques. As a child I never understood how the Chamber of Destiny worked on Indiana Jones or how the ghosts were able to dance in the ballroom of the Haunted Mansion despite one just being a sliding wall and the other being a literal mirror trick. Heck, even when I was a Cast Member and was given walking tours of both these attractions and got to stand in the Chamber of Destiny as the walls moved or stood on the dance floor of the Ballroom, I was still blown away!

As technology moves forward, even older attractions are gifted certain upgrades, look at the projection mapping on Snow White or Harold on the Matterhorn! If anything, the technological advances Galaxy's Edge is making has me MORE excited for the other lands in the park, who knows what techniques they may borrow!
                          Last edited by Blurr; 03-16-2019, 04:54 PM.
                          First of all, the name's not "Zippy"! As a matter of fact, I don't believe I've ever met another bot named Zippy, so one can only assume that you came up with "Zippy" in reference to my speed, which may be technically accurate, but lacks a certain creativity!

Comment

Originally posted by Armstrong View Post
                            Would you like to see, for example, NOS have the hypertheme of Jean Lafitte or the Adventueland Challenge theme created by the castmember, Wade Hobby, fully realized?
                            I should probably comment on this too, being a point of the actual topic and all, haha! Using your phone to solve puzzles and access information certainly feels more at home in an area like Galaxy's Edge or Tomorrowland. The concept will of course always feel a little bit more jarring in an area like Frontierland, to me.

I have actually found the app very useful on my visits outside of Maxpass, but really only when it comes to checking wait times. I love the wait time board out on Main Street but there is absolutely no contest in my mind between that or being able to take out my phone and check how long the wait is for something on the other side of the park before I decide to make the walk over there.
                            First of all, the name's not "Zippy"! As a matter of fact, I don't believe I've ever met another bot named Zippy, so one can only assume that you came up with "Zippy" in reference to my speed, which may be technically accurate, but lacks a certain creativity!

Comment

Originally posted by Blurr View Post
                              Nothing wrong with having your phone out while you are at Disneyland so long as you are mindful of your surroundings and courteous to others. Obviously stopping in the middle of a crowded walkway to send a message/make a call (unless it's a life or death emergency) or taking out an incredibly bright screen in the middle of a dark ride where others are affected (such as Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc.) are all examples of folks using their technology disrespectfully.

But in general, if you happen to want to look at your phone while you're in line for a ride (Lookin' at you, Astro Orbiter!), waiting for a parade, sitting on a park bench, enjoying a meal or otherwise just minding your own business in such a way that you aren't negatively affecting others, then I say by all means you are welcome to it! If others see you doing this in these scenarios and still can't process or accept in their mind that you might still be having a good time, then the problem rests with them, not with you.

Back to the actual topic at hand.. Out dated? I don't think so, I think the other lands will be just fine. I agree with some of the others here that Tomorrowland feels dated and needs the most work, but on a whole so many other attractions in the park are still capable of "wowing" young children and first time visitors with their techniques. As a child I never understood how the Chamber of Destiny worked on Indiana Jones or how the ghosts were able to dance in the ballroom of the Haunted Mansion despite one just being a sliding wall and the other being a literal mirror trick. Heck, even when I was a Cast Member and was given walking tours of both these attractions and got to stand in the Chamber of Destiny as the walls moved or stood on the dance floor of the Ballroom, I was still blown away!

As technology moves forward, even older attractions are gifted certain upgrades, look at the projection mapping on Snow White or Harold on the Matterhorn! If anything, the technological advances Galaxy's Edge is making has me MORE excited for the other lands in the park, who knows what techniques they may borrow!
                              Depends. Is the checking of the phone disrupting a peaceful candlelight meal (Blue Bayou)? Is it being checked during a parade or other nighttime show? Is it blocking your view?

Comment

Originally posted by HiddenMickey87 View Post

Depends. Is the checking of the phone disrupting a peaceful candlelight meal (Blue Bayou)? Is it being checked during a parade or other nighttime show? Is it blocking your view?
                                I think you can find the answer to all these questions in the first sentence of my quoted post. :P Its a pretty common sense concept but those who lack it are probably likely to be rude in some way with or without their phones, haha! Mindful of your surroundings, I would hope most people would realize a meal at Blue Bayou is a little bit different than Breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen. Those who cant tell the difference, well, we cant help 'em!

Comment

Sorry for the double quote but I do feel like its necessary to share a little story about how even in unlikely situations our tech can be used for good.

Last year I made the decison to propose to my girlfriend. We were in going to be in Disney World so I wanted it to be someplace nice. I decided on dinner in Monsuier Paul during the fireworks at Epcot. This resturant had a dress code and was certainly what would qualify as a case where you shouldn't have your phone out. Originally I had planned to have a friend (who happened to be planning his day in the same park on the same day as me) be there in the resturant to take photos of the engagement discreetly but at the last minute, he had to cancel his trip.

I was upset that I wouldnt have photos of this life event but I said to myself that what was more important was the event itself, so I was fine accepting this would be the case in the end.

We got to dinner, everything was great and went just as planned. I proposed, she said yes, it was magical. I just didnt have the photos.

Or so I thought. Thankfully there had been a guest who was out on their phone looking at Facebook just moments before. She saw what was happening and immediately started taking photos of the two of us. She barely spoke any English but afterwards she came up to us and showed us the pictures. Through the magic of social media, I was able to find, add, then have her send me the photos she took.

So yes, use your common sense. Our technology can be overwhemingly used for bad, you should be aware of where you are, what time of day it is, are you on a ride, etc, etc.

But in this one particular instance, someone on their phone at a fancy dinner managed to make my Disney vacation even better than it already was.

Comment

Its a pretty common sense concept but those who lack it are probably likely to be rude in some way with or without their phones.
                                    Those who cant tell the difference, well, we cant help 'em!
                                    It one of those things that most of the time ,I put on my whatever list .
                                    YES it can be
                                    Irritating...but we can't control ,what what other's is doing .

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Sorry for the double quote but I do feel like its necessary to share a little story about how even in unlikely situations our tech can be used for good.

Last year I made the decison to propose to my girlfriend. We were in going to be in Disney World so I wanted it to be someplace nice. I decided on dinner in Monsuier Paul during the fireworks at Epcot. This resturant had a dress code and was certainly what would qualify as a case where you shouldn't have your phone out. Originally I had planned to have a friend (who happened to be planning his day in the same park on the same day as me) be there in the resturant to take photos of the engagement discreetly but at the last minute, he had to cancel his trip.

I was upset that I wouldnt have photos of this life event but I said to myself that what was more important was the event itself, so I was fine accepting this would be the case in the end.

We got to dinner, everything was great and went just as planned. I proposed, she said yes, it was magical. I just didnt have the photos.

Or so I thought. Thankfully there had been a guest who was out on their phone looking at Facebook just moments before. She saw what was happening and immediately started taking photos of the two of us. She barely spoke any English but afterwards she came up to us and showed us the pictures. Through the magic of social media, I was able to find, add, then have her send me the photos she took.

So yes, use your common sense. Our technology can be overwhemingly used for bad, you should be aware of where you are, what time of day it is, are you on a ride, etc, etc.

But in this one particular instance, someone on their phone at a fancy dinner managed to make my Disney vacation even better than it already was.
                                      That is very nice, glad she was able to share the moment with you! There are definitely times it can be used for good.

Comment

That is very nice, glad she was able to share the moment with you! There are definitely times it can be used for good.
                                        Thank you! Your point is well taken too, we as a society need to be more aware of the decisons we make and how they may or may not be affecting those around us. I was only saying that there are times and places throughout the day in the park where its totally fine for folks to be on their phones and there are definitely times when it would be considered rude. Some guests just dont know the difference between the two.
                                        Last edited by Blurr; 03-16-2019, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X