Announcement

Collapse

The Future of the MiceChat Forums

See more
See less

Will GE make the other lands feel outdated?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HiddenMickey87 View Post

At a minimum, the app can have reminders throughout it about keeping phones silent and away.
    You know what? I had actually never thought of this! It seems so obvious yet it doesn't exist!

When you open Poke'mon GO, there is a fun little drawing of a Poke'mon trainer walking, staring at his phone, normally with some kind of treating Poke'mon lurking nearby and a message that encourages you to basically "please pay attention to your surroundings as you play".

Disney could TOTALLY have a fun different little drawing or message pop up every time the app is opened. Maybe a silly image of the Hitchhiking Ghosts being blinded out of a Doombuggy because Donald is taking a flash photos. Or maybe an image of Goofy holding Max on his shoulders during a fireworks show while poor Chip and Dale are stuck behind them.

Great idea HM87!
    First of all, the name's not "Zippy"! As a matter of fact, I don't believe I've ever met another bot named Zippy, so one can only assume that you came up with "Zippy" in reference to my speed, which may be technically accurate, but lacks a certain creativity!

Comment

Originally posted by Blurr View Post
      ...I would feel sorry for them too if they really were that disconnected from one another but also that it shouldn't ruin my dinner...
      I'm not bothered in the sense of angst and discontent, and it's not the family specifically. They are the representation on how society is degenerating from a social grouping to an individualized lifestyle (I do not consider "Social Media" as a continuation of social contact- if anything SM is the opposite. I prefer the term "Solitary Media")

For millions of years our lineage has been a social species - we do not do well as a solitary species. Yet with the advent of our technology, human social contact is degrading. Technology is desensitizing our species. Are we truly better off as a society if I have instant direct access to a video of some maniac murdering 49 people on the other side of the planet? I'm not saying technology/"social media" is all bad, but honestly, is it really that great if we as a species lose the human contact? In my line of work, I have witnessed human's inhumanity to humans. Technology may make things easier, but I would wager due to it's anonymity it's also amplified easy access to child exploitation, human trafficking, drug smuggling, animal cruelty, financial and political corruption - the list goes on.

So the question is, does an App really make the Disneyland experience "better"?

I am not against Tech - I use it as well. But there is a time and place for it. If I create a work of art and I put in a lot of effort into it, why would an "App" have to improve the appreciation for it? And that's why I said earlier, if you need an App to enjoy Disneyland (just saying that sounds weird) then you just don't get it.

FYI, "he" is the correct pronoun.

Comment

Originally posted by stovk View Post
        I'm not bothered in the sense of angst and discontent, and it's not the family specifically. They are the representation on how society is degenerating from a social grouping to an individualized lifestyle (I do not consider "Social Media" as a continuation of social contact- if anything SM is the opposite. I prefer the term "Solitary Media")

For millions of years our lineage has been a social species - we do not do well as a solitary species. Yet with the advent of our technology, human social contact is degrading. Technology is desensitizing our species. Are we truly better off as a society if I have instant direct access to a video of some maniac murdering 49 people on the other side of the planet? I'm not saying technology/"social media" is all bad, but honestly, is it really that great if we as a species lose the human contact? In my line of work, I have witnessed human's inhumanity to humans. Technology may make things easier, but I would wager due to it's anonymity it's also amplified easy access to child exploitation, human trafficking, drug smuggling, animal cruelty, financial and political corruption - the list goes on.

So the question is, does an App really make the Disneyland experience "better"?

I am not against Tech - I use it as well. But there is a time and place for it. If I create a work of art and I put in a lot of effort into it, why would an "App" have to improve the appreciation for it? And that's why I said earlier, if you need an App to enjoy Disneyland (just saying that sounds weird) then you just don't get it.

FYI, "he" is the correct pronoun.
        I agree, an app certainly wouldn't improve your work of art. But it can share your artwork with the world, with folks who might otherwise never get the chance to see it. In that sense, an app can positively compliment your artwork. My hopes for the Disneyland app are that it does just that, compliment the park by making certain things easier or better, like checking wait times. You are rightfully entitled to your opinion over whether or not you feel that this specific example would be an improvement or not, I can and will not attempt to change your mind.

On the other side of that coin, I certainly hope that the app never becomes a "requirement" to enjoy the park.
        First of all, the name's not "Zippy"! As a matter of fact, I don't believe I've ever met another bot named Zippy, so one can only assume that you came up with "Zippy" in reference to my speed, which may be technically accurate, but lacks a certain creativity!

Comment

I agree, an app certainly wouldn't improve your work of art. But it can share your artwork with the world, with folks who might otherwise never get the chance to see it.
          That would be an example of "a time and place". But wouldn't the adventure of travel to go see the art in person be a greater experience? The use of the camera function on the phone I would call acceptable, IMO. I would just hate to see a form of "Pokemon go" make a resurgence in Disneyland.

On the other side of that coin, I certainly hope that the app never becomes a "requirement" to enjoy the park.
          On this we agree.

Last edited by stovk; 03-20-2019, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Whatever else they do with the app, they should make sure that the screen is not distracting for other guests during the rides and attractions.

If Disney actually encourages guests to mess with their cellphones during ROTR, I will conclude that Disney management has sincerely lost it.
            Dumbo rats: the other lovable rodents.

Comment

Originally posted by whiteness View Post
              Whatever else they do with the app, they should make sure that the screen is not distracting for other guests during the rides and attractions.

If Disney actually encourages guests to mess with their cellphones during ROTR, I will conclude that Disney management has sincerely lost it.
              I feel IMO........Disney does
              Encourages guests to mess
              , with their cellphones while in the parks.....with all there app's

As for me ...I will continue keep my phone OFF.
              *except to check if there any E
              mergency
              Last edited by Eagleman; 03-20-2019, 03:51 PM.
              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by stovk View Post

That would be an example of "a time and place". But wouldn't the adventure of travel to go see the art in person be a greater experience? The use of the camera function on the phone I would call acceptable, IMO. I would just hate to see a form of "Pokemon go" make a resurgence in Disneyland.
                It absolutely would, especially when the work of art is something like Disneyland. My fiancee' and I have been watching videos and vlogs from Tokyo DisneySea and while its been great for getting us prepared for our inevitable trip and fueling our hype levels, we both know there's no video or photo that will ever compare to being there and finally seeing it in person.

Comment

Originally posted by Armstrong View Post

Would you argue that guest's smartphone tech need only apply to lands where a tablet device makes thematic sense? (GE TL) Is it thematically incorrect to incorporate into areas set to the past? (MS, AL, NOS)
                  Good question. Personally, I think that incorporating modern technology into what is supposed to be an immersion into an environment (?) where such technology would be entirely foreign would actually take one out of the experience - break show, so to speak. But for many in this age, entertainment is expected to be a multimedia experience in which access to related digital information is an expected piece. I guess, for some, incorporating information from their smart phone is a way to broaden the scope of the attraction. So, of course, Disney is going to oblige those people. I'll just largely ignore all of the digital stuff unless, like you said, it is relating to something that is supposed to be high-tech like Tomorrow Land or SWGE. In those cased, a digital interface to interact with definitely fits the bill. But again, I think it should absolutely be an optional accompaniment to what's already there and not using it should in no way detract from the core experience.
                  Last edited by BiggestDisneyFan; 03-21-2019, 09:33 AM.
                  Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

Comment

I think to each there own. Some people like to go the Ren Fair and dress up in Star Trek costumes. They pretend to be investigating a primitive planet, so as long as the imagination is there, it is all good to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnabus Collins View Post
                      I think to each there own. Some people like to go the Ren Fair and dress up in Star Trek costumes. They pretend to be investigating a primitive planet, so as long as the imagination is there, it is all good to me.
                      Well, they had ancient greek gods and people dressed in medieval garn in Star Trek TOS and elsewhere, so that's fair.

Comment

I can tell you that most people who are at Ren Fair to enjoy the renaissance experience loathe people who show up in things like Star Trek or Fantasy cosplay costumes. It wipes away the illusion of where they are supposed to be. Anyhow, that's not really analogous to what's being discussed here. Yes, if it's a personal experience that nobody has to get pulled into, let people enjoy looking at a Pirates of the Caribbean treasure map, or whatever, on their phone.

Now, in the not-too-distant future, we will have access to wearable augmented reality glasses, which provide an overlay of virtual imagery on top of the actual real world, as apposed to VR goggles which block out the real world. (Think Pokémon Go, but without having to hold the phone in front of you to see it.) When the day comes that those are readily available, work well and are relatively unobtrusive, then that may change the equation for me. If Disney were to provide virtual details, creatures, characters, etc., appropriate to their environment, I wouldn't consider interacting with them the same as being engrossed in something on a phone rather than taking in the environment around me.
                        Last edited by BiggestDisneyFan; 03-21-2019, 02:13 PM.
                        Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

Comment

Originally posted by BiggestDisneyFan View Post

I can tell you that most people who are at Ren Fair to enjoy the renaissance experience loathe people who show up in things like Star Trek or Fantasy cosplay costumes. It wipes away the illusion of where they are supposed to be. Anyhow, that's not really analogous to what's being discussed here. Yes, if it's a personal experience that nobody has to get pulled into, let people enjoy looking at a Pirates of the Caribbean, or whatever, on their phone.

Now, in the not-too-distant future, we will have access to wearable augmented reality glasses, which provide an overlay of virtual imagery on top of the actual real world, as apposed to VR goggles which block out the real world. (Think Pokémon Go, but without having to hold the phone in front of you to see it.) When the day comes that those are readily available, work well and are relatively unobtrusive, then that may change the equation for me. If Disney were to provide virtual details, creatures, characters, etc., appropriate to their environment, I wouldn't consider interacting with them the same as being engrossed in something on a phone rather than taking in the environment around me.
                          Now if they could do an augmented reality in the park, and make it look like any year you choose, now that would be fun. I know the rides would not be there, such as looking at ATIS, but it is actually Star Tours.

Either way, I would like to walk around the park, and see it from whatever year I choose. The people move may not be there, but it would be still nice to see if go by.

Comment

Interacting with a phone......is not for me.
                            I rather try to enjoy Environment , in the area, that is around me in the park,
                            and not be detracted from the core experience !

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Now if they could do an augmented reality in the park, and make it look like any year you choose, now that would be fun. I know the rides would not be there, such as looking at ATIS, but it is actually Star Tours.

Either way, I would like to walk around the park, and see it from whatever year I choose. The people move may not be there, but it would be still nice to see if go by.
                              Why would you even need to go to the park, in that case? How about a Holodeck in your home?

Comment

Originally posted by greenalfonzo View Post
                                I don't see how it's possible for Tomorrowland to feel any more outdated than it already does.
                                Tomorrow land could certainly use more "dress up"...

walk through Fantasyland... walk through Frontierland, Adventureland... just walking the sidewalks bring an experience of the theme...

Tomorrowland... it seems some props or posters advertising space travel or..... something....... would improve the lack of atmosphere.. same thing on the area around Astro Terrace...
                                I keep expecting to see something there...

Comment

Originally posted by Eagleman View Post

I feel IMO........Disney does
                                  Encourages guests to mess
                                  , with their cellphones while in the parks.....with all there app's

As for me ...I will continue keep my phone OFF.
                                  *except to check if there any E
                                  mergency
                                  one of the reasons we have resisted using the phone for fast pass, more and more, you see people walking through the park looking at their cell phones..

sad to see the number of parents on their phones ignoring their kids...
                                  I understand, sometimes communication is needed but, most often, you hear them they are chatting with some friend about nothing...

parents, kids standing line line at Star Tours each on their phone, not looking around, not communicating with each other...
                                  me thinking, locals, AP, so many visits they are not impressed, turns out, it was their first visit....

weird....

Comment

Originally posted by GwenRowan View Post

one of the reasons we have resisted using the phone for fast pass, more and more, you see people walking through the park looking at their cell phones..

sad to see the number of parents on their phones ignoring their kids...
                                    I understand, sometimes communication is needed but, most often, you hear them they are chatting with some friend about nothing...

parents, kids standing line line at Star Tours each on their phone, not looking around, not communicating with each other...
                                    me thinking, locals, AP, so many visits they are not impressed, turns out, it was their first visit....

weird....
                                    I'M a local
                                    Sad fact it all around .........people have to be on there phone ,matter were they are at.
                                    LOL
                                    I was eating out and saw a Family of 4 at a table,
                                    not communicating with each other ,but for sure they all on there phone's
                                    doing texting........"amazing"
                                    I rather just turn my phone off ,and enjoy the park.......the best as I can!
                                    Last edited by Eagleman; 03-25-2019, 05:46 PM.
                                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Yes, but that kinda proves the point around why they constructed this land in the first place. Disneyland is classic, but it isn't at the cutting edge, and SWGE will ensure the park stays competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by Spectacular View Post
                                        Yes, but that kinda proves the point around why they constructed this land in the first place. Disneyland is classic, but it isn't at the cutting edge, and SWGE will ensure the park stays competitive.
                                        It's a growing trend to want to step into the world of your favorite characters/movies. Not just a ride, but an entire land. Disneyland has always been immersive, but in a broad sense that often left things to your imagination. The cardinal realms were fantasy, adventure, tomorrow, and frontier. From within, each ride immersed you in a particular place, but the land as a whole was meant to evoke a general feel that combined various elements of the realm but left a lot up to you.

This is what made Disneyland cutting edge back in the day, but it's too cerebral now. Ever since Harry Potter (and to a smaller degree, Cars Land) opened -- and who can ignore the hype behind this character -- it started the trend to step into the world of IPs. The subtlety of the original realms is beyond most guests now.

Comment

• Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post
                                          There are a couple things that can be meant by the term outdated, so for the purposes of this post, I will address each of them.

Outdated = Attraction technology feeling old

This is a bit of a mixed bag, but on the whole I am going to answer this with a resounding no. Of course I think some of the most advanced audio animatronics ever created being present in Star Wars Land will set a high bar going forward, but I think what is more important is how a rides uses technology. Incredibly, original ideas from 60+ years ago like spinning teacups or a flying pirate ship still feel unique and special. Although the ride itself is bumpy because of its outdated methods, the Matterhorn is able to keep up with improvements to Harold and the lift hill as needed. Space Mountain is just a bunch of projections on a dark roller coaster, but that use of technology is apt for the ride's purpose. Things begin to feel dated when the technology it uses isn't being put to good use. What comes to mind is when Disney somehow neglects to fix ray guns that don't work on Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters, or looking at Constance Hatchaway in the attic seconds before seeing the Hatbox ghost. One audio animatronic looks terrible while the very next one you see looks great.

Outdated = Land atmosphere feeling old

Some land atmospheres are supposed to be nostalgic or evoke the past, but the way they are maintained means they don't feel like hokey relics. Main Street, NOS, Fantasyland, and Toontown feel timeless. Frontierland and Critter Country don't feel timeless to me, but they still feel accurate and period-specific in a way that feels welcoming. Tomorrowland feels... betrayed by age. Part of it is the blue stucko, part of it is the gold Astro-Orbiter, and a huge part of it is just that Disney lets the land go a long time without major changes to its exterior. The most we've gotten in the last decade is some repainting for Star Tours 2.0 and a reskin of Autopia. The land itself lacks a cohesive direction and is instead some poor mismatch of puzzle pieces across the park's entire 64-year history. This is all to say that once Star Wars Land opens, of course Tomorrowland will feel outdated. It will feel outdated because we know Disney can do better. Many of us have known that for a long time; Star Wars Land is just going to make that disparity worse.

With that said, I don't think anything will feel more or less outdated because of an integration with an cell phone app based on Disney's track record with these things. If anything the app will be outdated by the time it gets its Star Wars Land update. I sure wish people were on their phones less in the parks, but I see that as a lost cause. Even before people had cell phones they ignored some of Disenyland's best details. I will say, however, it is always fun to play the Disney Parks deck on Heads Up with random strangers in line.
                                          For me, I think Frontierland is infinitely more timeless than Toontown. But again that’s just me.

Comment

Working...
                                          X