Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Smoking at the Disneyland Resort starting May 1st.

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barnabus Collins
    replied
    Actually, found this picture of Walt smoking in the park on a ride. The guy next to him is smoking as well.

Leave a comment:

• Barnabus Collins
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

I totally agree with your reasons for not ramping up alcohol sales in Disneyland. But it's a separate argument from the smoking issue. The long-established precedents for banning smoking in outdoor public areas like beaches, parks, and now the DLR, are not invalidated by debate about the comparative toxicity of the smoke, the potential degree of exposure to non-smokers, or their degree of annoyance; rather, they are based on the concept that the travel of the smoke, be it from tobacco, vape liquid, or other inhaled products, cannot be controlled or directed once exhaled into a public space.
    You have to be rather close for the smoke to be toxic. If a smoking area is a good 20 feet away, there is no issue to non-smokers. There is always a way for both sides to co-exist, its just that one side feels the other does not have any rights to exist.

Leave a comment:

• wyattspoppa
    replied
    Wiggins, I could have started a bonfire at the smoking area near small world and a bloodhound wouldnt have smelled it....next defense?

Leave a comment:

• wyattspoppa
    replied
    As a clove smoker (real ones you cant buy anymore) I have always gone out of my way to keep my smoke away from others, it's too bad Disneyland is ramping up alcohol sales and not as concerned about DUI's, drunk drivers killing people, I've personally seen half a dozen teens busted drinking the light-up cocktails...but let's put the emphasis on the 20 smokers in the smoking area (usually less)..and not underage drinking. I've never killed a family of 4 driving with my clove....

Leave a comment:

• Mr Wiggins
    replied
    Originally posted by wyattspoppa View Post
    As a VERY considerate clove smoker, I always made a point to stay away from other guests, and we only had one smoking area per park so many of your comments are incorrect. I find it ironic that Disney is ramping up alcohol sales and they're worried about 20 square feet where we smoked? Really? Do you hear me griping about obnoxious drunks which are far more irritating than one tiny smoking section. I won't drive home from Diz with 5 beers in me and kill a family of 4 with my clove.
    I totally agree with your reasons for not ramping up alcohol sales in Disneyland. But it's a separate argument from the smoking issue. The long-established precedents for banning smoking in outdoor public areas like beaches, parks, and now the DLR, are not invalidated by debate about the comparative toxicity of the smoke, the potential degree of exposure to non-smokers, or their degree of annoyance; rather, they are based on the concept that the travel of the smoke, be it from tobacco, vape liquid, or other inhaled products, cannot be controlled or directed once exhaled into a public space.

Leave a comment:

• Barnabus Collins
    replied
    Originally posted by wyattspoppa View Post
    the small pier at the lake near Small World, completely isolated from non-smokers,
    That was such a great smoking spot. My favorite though was the one on Rivers of America. I really miss that spot.

Leave a comment:

• wyattspoppa
    replied
    To update those of you who hate smokers (I never puff my clove near non-smokers), it's not a tiny portion of people affected, 38 million American Adults smoke, 15% of the population.
    We had our tiny space away from non-smokers, the small pier at the lake near Small World, completely isolated from non-smokers and recently, behind the torn down Silly Symphony ride (also isolated)...we were only affecting other smokers...

Leave a comment:

• Barnabus Collins
    replied
    Originally posted by DisneySpaceAce View Post
    Supposedly they already backed off of this due to backlash from smokers.
    They have? I have not seen that. I wonder how far they will backtrack on it.

Leave a comment:

• wyattspoppa
    replied
    As a VERY considerate clove smoker, I always made a point to stay away from other guests, and we only had one smoking area per park so many of your comments are incorrect. I find it ironic that Disney is ramping up alcohol sales and they're worried about 20 square feet where we smoked? Really? Do you hear me griping about obnoxious drunks which are far more irritating than one tiny smoking section. I won't drive home from Diz with 5 beers in me and kill a family of 4 with my clove.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Wiggins
    replied
    The most recent figures show that smoking continues to decline in America, last year falling to an all-time low of 14%. The multi-billion-dollar Disney Corp can certainly afford to risk losing a percentage of that 14% by saying "NO SMOKING, PERIOD!" -- and by backing their frontline staff in proactively enforcing the policy.

Leave a comment:

• DisneySpaceAce
    replied
    Supposedly they already backed off of this due to backlash from smokers.

Leave a comment:

• Figment56
    replied
    I think Disney is missing out on the obvious choice here to satisfy everyone, including the accountants. If Black Spire Outpost is supposed to be a completely immersive land on the edge of of the traveled Universe and full of smugglers, rogues and adventurers, then they should have a highly themed indoor smoking area that sells themed smoking products from around the known Universe. Asa Naga's Cigarra Bar. It even follows the Star Wars canon. Problem solved! Let's not forget, Walt Disney's Disneyland opened in 1955 with a Tobacco Shop on Main Street USA where you could buy tobacco "from around the world".

Leave a comment:

• Zorro
    replied
    Originally posted by Stormy View Post
    In Walt's day (and quite a few 'days' afterwards) there weren't 'smoking areas', one was free to smoke pretty much anywhere. I can remember walking around DL smoking in my teens and early 20s before I quit, and that would have been in the early to mid 70s. It was perfectly acceptable. In fact, IIRC the ride 'spiels' mentioned 'no smoking please' along with 'keep your hands etc inside the ride vehicle'. You know, I don't really remember when smoking at DL started being confined to certain areas. I know indoors and public places smoking was banned in CA in 1998.
    I don't think smoking was ever allowed in-doors (someone can correct me if I'm wrong), but smoking was pretty much allowed everywhere outdoors. In the 1966 Wonderful World of Color episode Disneyland Around the Seasons, you see the footage from the formal opening/dedication of NOS, and there's a brief shot of an elderly gentleman clenching a big, lit stogie between his teeth. Whenever I screen that episode in this household, there's always a big laugh over that shot.

Leave a comment:

• Stormy
    replied
    Originally posted by BiggestDisneyFan View Post

Pictures of him in Disneyland, among guests? I'm attaching a link to a page all about Walt Disney and his smoking habit. Based on that, I would say that he was absolutely addicted to cigarettes, as he continued to smoke them even after they were causing him serious health issues. He probably allowed for smoking areas in the park because he could empathize with others in the same boat. Here is a quote directly from that article: "However, he was insistent that no publicity photos be released with him smoking, because he did not want to influence young people.
    In Walt's day (and quite a few 'days' afterwards) there weren't 'smoking areas', one was free to smoke pretty much anywhere. I can remember walking around DL smoking in my teens and early 20s before I wised up and quit, and that would have been in the early to mid 70s. It was perfectly acceptable. In fact, IIRC the ride 'spiels' mentioned 'no smoking please' along with 'keep your hands etc inside the ride vehicle'. You know, I don't really remember when smoking at DL started being confined to certain areas. I know indoors and public places smoking was banned in CA in 1998.

I'm really glad they've gone 'smoke free'. I agree that some smokers may be caught unawares by this, but I also remember that when selfie sticks were banned I was given a printed slip telling about it when I paid for parking. I have a feeling that similar flyers will be handed out at the parking kiosks. There will probably also be large signs at bag check and again at the turnstiles.
    Last edited by Stormy; 03-29-2019, 03:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Zorro
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	528b87876da811e17f625817-750.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	8582945
    Goofy before his eight hour "meet and greet" shift.

Leave a comment:

• Barnabus Collins
    replied
    Originally posted by smallworlder View Post
    As a puffer, I'm all for it. Those I feel bad for are the CM's who smoke. How many breaks have started with the words "oh god do I ever need a cigarette". Half the guests in the park on any given day just suck ginormous ostrich eggs. Their "inner children", turns out, are brats. Will CM's be allowed to duck out of the park? Can't imagine any CM in costume smoking outside the park is a look Disney will tolerate. Yes, it's CM's I feel for. As of May 1st, I'll be extra extra extra Minnie Mouse for them. "Be Kind Be Sweet Be Minnie".
    I never thought of that, as I know a few cast members that smoke. Some of them are going to be very bummed.

Leave a comment:

• smallworlder
    replied
    As a puffer, I'm all for it. Those I feel bad for are the CM's who smoke. How many breaks have started with the words "oh god do I ever need a cigarette". Half the guests in the park on any given day just suck ginormous ostrich eggs. Their "inner children", turns out, are brats. Will CM's be allowed to duck out of the park? Can't imagine any CM in costume smoking outside the park is a look Disney will tolerate. Yes, it's CM's I feel for. As of May 1st, I'll be extra extra extra Minnie Mouse for them. "Be Kind Be Sweet Be Minnie".

Leave a comment:

• Starcade
    replied
    Originally posted by HiddenMickey87 View Post

I'm for this. Just ban from the get-go; even offer to hold it for them at a special pickup place (if thats legally allowed). Just have proper signage everywhere.
    I know when you take the Warner Bros. Studio Tour if you have anything suspect they confiscate it but put it in a small ziplock and there is a counter right at the tram exit when you return to pick it up. I have a tiny pocket knife ( 1" blade and tiny scissors ) Up until earlier this year Disney would let me bring it in all the time but then recently told me I had to give it up or take it back to my car it was a cheap $6 Victrinox so I simply gave it up rather then delay our day. It would have been nice if they had done the same at WB but it is probably more difficult due to the volume of guests entering the park.

Funny story when I went to pick up my tiny pocket knife they accidentally handed me the wrong ziplock bag which had a huge 6" bladed old school pocket knife like the kind you see an outdoorsman from the 70's whip out to whittle a spear. I almost started laughing it was so comical to think of somebody carrying this huge heavy knife to a studio tour.

Leave a comment:

• HiddenMickey87
    replied
    Originally posted by Starcade View Post

I would not be surprised if they banned guest bringing in tobacco products as well. I think they have a new perspective after the failed "no selfie sticks allowed on rides" turned into "no selfie sticks usage in the parks or they will be confiscated" to "we are no longer allowing selfie sticks into the security bubble" Considering you would have to go almost all the way back to your car or hotel to get out of the security bubble I do not see them being too worried about forcing people to do so to smoke.
    I'm for this. Just ban from the get-go; even offer to hold it for them at a special pickup place (if thats legally allowed). Just have proper signage everywhere.

Leave a comment:

• Starcade
    replied
    Originally posted by Rebecca Baca View Post

No push wagons will be allowed. At all
    I was calling all strollers that are used more for storage than to actually transport a child a storage wagon I didn't mean for it to be confused with an actual push or pull wagon. Sorry for the confusion.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X