No Smoking at the Disneyland Resort starting May 1st.

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blurr
    replied
    I don't smoke and I never have but I can see why this decision might be a problem for some. From my perspective, it's fine. But for the folks who willingly choose to smoke and might not realize they don't have any option at all, I could see why this might cause them to lose their minds slightly.

What I'm about to say isn't exactly the same as smoking but flows through a similar vein. I (and plenty of other Guests) choose to damage myself in the park as well, just not in the same way. Shoveling burgers, churros, pizza, etc. down my throat every time I come in probably isn't good for me either but still I choose to do it to myself. I know smoking could "technically" damage those around you if they got too close (in a way that fast food can't) but I could see how one might argue that if I still have the right to clog my arteries with a Mickey burger, why can't they have some place to smoke?

If I could offer a suggestion that meets someplace in the middle; I would look to replacing the picnic area in the esplanade with a smoking section. It's walled off enough from the rest of the esplanade that I feel like the smoke wouldn't be so much of an issue and is large enough to act as a mid point to hold smoking parties from both parks without forcing them back out through security and literally onto the street. I also would argue for this area too because, honestly, does it really get used all that often for it's intended purpose? People sneak food into the park anyways if they've brought it and every time I poke my head into the designated picnic area it's always empty except maybe for a Guest or two waiting to meet a family member. This way Disney technically removes all smoking sections from inside the parks but still provides a reasonable option for folks who want a cigarette while keeping them "walled off" from passersby.

Leave a comment:

• Barbaraann
    replied
    I wonder how many people who planned a Disneyland/WDW trip will cancel a vacation when they get wind of this smoking ban?

Leave a comment:

• Barnabus Collins
    replied
    Originally posted by HiddenMickey87 View Post

I agree. Fights in the bathroom seems extreme. Plus there's frequently a whole bunch of guests, not to mention CMs cleaning, in the bathroom. It'd be hard to pull off a smoke break in there. Now, if anyone decided to be a bear against Chuck Norris because Chuck called them out, that would be interesting
    Will you treat them the way a loving parent disciplines a child?

Leave a comment:

• Stormy
    replied
    Originally posted by Nirya View Post

I did not realize you had to treat smokers the same way you treat bears.

It feels pretty simple. If smokers are at the point that they will become violent if they do not get a smoke, then being at Disneyland probably was not a good idea for them in the first place.
    Um....with bear spray? I'm good with that. (JK)

Leave a comment:

• HiddenMickey87
    replied
    Originally posted by Nirya View Post

It feels pretty simple. If smokers are at the point that they will become violent if they do not get a smoke, then being at Disneyland probably was not a good idea for them in the first place.
    I agree. Fights in the bathroom seems extreme. Plus there's frequently a whole bunch of guests, not to mention CMs cleaning, in the bathroom. It'd be hard to pull off a smoke break in there. Now, if anyone decided to be a bear against Chuck Norris because Chuck called them out, that would be interesting

Leave a comment:

• HiddenMickey87
    replied
    Originally posted by mandelbrot View Post

You know they won't because management is awful. They're just evil and horrible, right?
    Wow, I know you don't agree with his opinions, but no need to instigate. He has a valid point: what's the point of creating a rule if it can't be enforced. It's already been proven that, for whatever reasons, many front-line CMs cannot or will not handle rude guests.

Leave a comment:

• huskyla27
    replied
    Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I cannot stand cigarette smoke. I am all for this. However how are they going to handle guests who are irate because they are having a craving? Maybe they can sell Nicorette as an alternative to help calm their nerves? Yes it is gum but I’d rather have that than an overly annoying irate guest any time.
    If a drug addict is having a craving should they have something to calm their nerves? Never understood why businesses feel they need to cater to smokers.

Leave a comment:

• Nirya
    replied
    Originally posted by CAspace View Post
    It is Never a good idea to confront a irate smoker who is already breaking a rule by smoking in a bathroom. It will never end well. People can and will get hurt.

Leave a comment:

• mandelbrot
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    It's great news that management is finally banning smoking. Now let's see if they back up the policy by paying for the training and additional frontline staff needed to enforce it, or simply dump the enforcement on the already stretched-thin staff.
    You know they won't because management is awful. They're just evil and horrible, right?

Leave a comment:

• Ttgal4
    replied
    The smoking ban will be slightly problematic here in California, but not that big of a deal. The Disneyland Resort has been weaning smokers the past few years, going from 3 or more smoking areas per park down to one apiece. Most Disneyland guests are local, and thusly Californians, meaning they’re from the state that has been stricter on smokers longer than any other state. I think Florida will have a much harder time. A quick search shows 5 smoking areas in Epcot. Going from 5 to zero overnight will be tough. Also, many more foreign visitors. Even when not taking foreign visitors into account, just having the majority of your guests being infrequent visitors will make things more difficult.

Leave a comment:

• Barnabus Collins
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

That's exactly the reason he went there. Read his past posts: from smoking to strollers to serving booze at Disneyland to wildly false statements about Walt, he knows exactly what buttons to press to stir the forum pot. Along with the tried-and-true troll technique of misquoting other posters by asking them leading questions of the format "do you mean to say ____?", which is classic bait for angry responses, and the troll-tell of papering a forum with posts (current rate of this one is around 200 per month), he sprinkles in just enough legitimate-looking posts to "fly the trolling under the radar." Same posting style and technique as previous trolls and sock puppets who dodged getting banned for weeks or months... until they grew bored, let their true colors show with increasingly outrageous statements, and got banned. As this one will. (As others have done, this one couldn't resist signaling his intent with his user name: a 175-year-old vampire in search of fresh blood.)

But I thank you for your kind words.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Wiggins
    replied
    Originally posted by BiggestDisneyFan View Post
    Really? You're gonna' go there when Disney died of lung cancer?
    That's exactly the reason he went there. Read his past posts: from smoking to strollers to serving booze at Disneyland to wildly false statements about Walt, he knows exactly what buttons to press to stir the forum pot. Along with the tried-and-true troll technique of misquoting other posters by asking them leading questions of the format "do you mean to say ____?", which is classic bait for angry responses, and the troll-tell of papering a forum with posts (current rate of this one is around 200 per month), he sprinkles in just enough legitimate-looking posts to "fly the trolling under the radar." Same posting style and technique as previous trolls and sock puppets who dodged getting banned for weeks or months... until they grew bored, let their true colors show with increasingly outrageous statements, and got banned. As this one will. (As others have done, this one couldn't resist signaling his intent with his user name: a 175-year-old vampire in search of fresh blood.)

Leave a comment:

• Ttgal4
    replied
    Originally posted by Starcade View Post
    I for one am glad to see smoking ( & vaping ) banned within the bubble. I feel they will probably also ban guests from bring in vape pens into the security bubble as well as there would be now need to unless said guest planned on breaking the rules.

The Stroller rules I hope are phase one and the size restriction will get a lil smaller in a second wave as the size given still will allow the some very large storage wagons to infiltrate the park. A friend of mine just recently visited the park after he got AP's for his family and his first comment was "Man I a have never seen so many strollers!" I know some have certain needs but the majority seem to pushing the limit and taking far more area then a family should with their covered wagons and SUV's ( Stroller Unnecessarily Volumous).
    A guest who brings in a vape pen wouldn’t necessarily break the rules. If they planned to leave the bubble to vape they wouldn’t go all the way back to their car. You could also say the same thing about smokers bring tobacco into the park.

Leave a comment:

• CoreContingency
    replied
    This is such a loaded topic. There is absolutely no way anybody can make a successful argument for the retention of 'smoking' areas at WDW or DLR. Not with the stance that Disney has taken. Instead of actually making an effort to accommodate, it is far easier and more cost effective to just deny.

Leave a comment:

• Ttgal4
    replied

Only a someone who smokes, doesn't want to quit smoking and hasn't lost someone to cancer due to smoking would say that.
    You really don’t have any idea what Walt Disney would think about smoking if he were around today. No one does. Anyone that says otherwise is just guessing.

Leave a comment:

• Barnabus Collins
    replied
    Not agreeing with the rules is one thing, breaking them is quite another.

Leave a comment:

• Rebecca Baca
    replied
    Originally posted by CAspace View Post
    I can understand Disney banning smoking/vaping in the park, but to force smokers to have to leave the security zone to smoke and then subject them to need to wait in the full security line again is unfair.

Sadly the realty is that this new edict will create more illegal smoking situations. Many people will defy the ban; restrooms will be used for smoking and many fights will occur because no doubt there will be “good Samaritans“ who try to stop someone from smoking in the bathroom.

It is Never a good idea to confront a irate smoker who is already breaking a rule by smoking in a bathroom. It will never end well. People can and will get hurt.

Unless Disney security is at every bathroom and in many of the walkways enforcing this new anti smoking rule, I fear we will be dealing with constant rule breakers and fights.

I hope Disney rethinks this strategy and perhaps
    figures out how to accommodate smokers within the security zone or creates a security fast lane for returning smokers.
    If they are fighting over smoking or vaping....then they can leave the park. Who needs that kind of person around?

Leave a comment:

• Rebecca Baca
    replied
    Originally posted by Starcade View Post
    I for one am glad to see smoking ( & vaping ) banned within the bubble. I feel they will probably also ban guests from bring in vape pens into the security bubble as well as there would be now need to unless said guest planned on breaking the rules.

The Stroller rules I hope are phase one and the size restriction will get a lil smaller in a second wave as the size given still will allow the some very large storage wagons to infiltrate the park. A friend of mine just recently visited the park after he got AP's for his family and his first comment was "Man I a have never seen so many strollers!" I know some have certain needs but the majority seem to pushing the limit and taking far more area then a family should with their covered wagons and SUV's ( Stroller Unnecessarily Volumous).
    No push wagons will be allowed. At all

Leave a comment:

• CAspace
    replied
    I can understand Disney banning smoking/vaping in the park, but to force smokers to have to leave the security zone to smoke and then subject them to need to wait in the full security line again is unfair.

Sadly the realty is that this new edict will create more illegal smoking situations. Many people will defy the ban; restrooms will be used for smoking and many fights will occur because no doubt there will be “good Samaritans“ who try to stop someone from smoking in the bathroom.

Unless Disney security is at every bathroom and in many of the walkways enforcing this new anti smoking rule, I fear we will be dealing with constant rule breakers and fights.

I hope Disney rethinks this strategy and perhaps
    figures out how to accommodate smokers within the security zone or creates a security fast lane for returning smokers.

Leave a comment:

• Barnabus Collins
    replied

And here is the conclusion of this article:

"So what does that mean in terms of the scientific argument for outdoor smoking bans? The researchers say that additional investigation, including more precise figures about the number of smokers in a particular space, the rate of smoking and measurements in different populations are important to achieving more definitive results. But, generally speaking, hanging out in an outdoor smoking area exposes you to less second hand smoke than being in an indoor, confined space with smokers, and the more space you have between yourself and smokers, the lower levels of exposure you will have. So, this particular study doesn’t ring the death knell for outdoor smoking. But, the researchers point out, wielding the official trump card of the public health argument:

Although the increment in cotinine concentrations and, thus, the [second hand smoke] exposure levels were relatively low at the sites of interest, the current view is that there is no level of personal exposure to [second hand smoke] that can be regarded as safe. This study demonstrates the ongoing exposure of nonsmokers to [second hand smoke] outside restaurants and bars, and the limitations of indoor smoking bans alone in protecting the public from exposure to [second hand smoke] outside these establishments."

The first paragraph states the obvious. The last paragraph contradicts the idea that just because you're a few feet away from a lit cigarette and the person smoking it, that you're safe from the affects of the smoke - indoors or outdoors.
    I understand, I'm just saying the article says at 6 feet, the levels are low. The further away, the faster the levels go down. I am just saying that an outdoor smoking area is not harmful to others. It is pretty easy to stay away from smokers grouped in one area.

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X