Best Disneyland rides going to Disney World

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Disneyland rides going to Disney World

Maybe I’m just having one of those days, but is anyone else annoyed/bothered that all of the best Disneyland rides like the peoplemover and skyway have moved to (or stayed at) Disney World while they’ve been discontinued at the happiest place in earth?!?!

Originally posted by Mastersarge View Post
    Maybe I’m just having one of those days, but is anyone else annoyed/bothered that all of the best Disneyland rides like the peoplemover and skyway have moved to (or stayed at) Disney World while they’ve been discontinued at the happiest place in earth?!?!
    Peoplemover and Skyway were rumored to be lost due to CalOSHA regulations. There are a number of rides even now that are safe only through grandfathering in of exemptions and would have to be altered at great cost if they were ever to lose that grandfathering. Though it seems that they exist elsewhere and if Disney had made the investments they could have kept the rides open.

Florida is much less strict in its regulations and old time greats like Peoplemover and Skyway could live on.
    Last edited by Golden Zephyr; 04-05-2019, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Technically the skyway is gone from Disney world as well in the form in which you are talking about. The new skyliner is not the same thing as it does not go through the parks and is much more high speed then the attraction it is giving a nod too. I do think the people mover is a huge loss to the feeling and kinetic energy of Tomorrowland and it really is a shame they could not come to a solution to the CALOSHA safety requirement that allowed them to keep the attraction.
      BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

It does suck that Tomorroland classic only exists in pieces now catered across both coasts but I think Anaheim also has many advantages over WDW its a grass is always greener scenario.

I am also not sure Skyway is a ride that coudln't be done again within current Cal OSHA Regs. Some CA mountain resorts have put in similar rides within the past 15 years telling me Disney made a choice based on other factors. PM was sadly victim to the ignorance of young guests some of whom paid the ultimate price leading to the idea for Rocket Rods which by all accounts I have seen is possibly the biggest failure for a ride investment the park has ever embarked on.

Comment

Peoplemover is always my #1 destination when I visit the Magic Kingdom because I can't get it here in Disneyland.

I don't miss the Skyway though.

Comment

Is it true that Cal OSHA is the reason that the Skyway at Disneyland is no longer in existence? I know that they have a similar bucket type ride at Great America in Santa Clara.

https://www.cagreatamerica.com/play/...-eagles-flight

Comment

Originally posted by Co Foo View Post
              Is it true that Cal OSHA is the reason that the Skyway at Disneyland is no longer in existence? I know that they have a similar bucket type ride at Great America in Santa Clara.

https://www.cagreatamerica.com/play/...-eagles-flight
              Bingo. The reason the Skyway was closed is that Disney didn't want to spend the money to operate and maintain it, and to upgrade the security systems to prevent riders from throwing stuff out of the cabin and spitting on the guests below. Its demise was part of the Eisner/Pressler era of slashing costs -- the "CalOSHA" claim is a myth.

Bonus points to anyone who remembers the exec (I've forgotten his name) who was quoted in print and on video in the 90s spinning the PR that the Skyway was being removed because new attractions elsewhere in the Park were being opened -- the "open one/close one" approach.
              Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 04-04-2019, 01:36 PM.
              "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
              it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
              together with every variety of recreation and fun,
              designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
              - Michael Eisner

Comment

I don’t usually throw down in the DL is better than WDW discussions, but I’ve been thinking a lot about WDW lately, and for the context of this topic, I’ve come to the conclusion that while I do wish our Tomorrowland had the peoplemover back (and other things that TL needs in order to reclaim its former glory) the rest of DL and DCA are just plain better overall.

We still have Mr. Toad
                RSR is significantly better than Test Track
                GRR is better than Kali River Run
                WDW’s POTC is a condensed version
                Our beautiful facade for IASW
                More than twice as many Fantasyland style Dark Rides at DL than MK
                New Orleans Square
                The ease and convenience of Park Hopping
                I’ll take paying for MaxPass over the headache of FP+ any day.

the list goes on.

So yeah, they have a couple missing pieces to our Tomorrowland, but compared to what we have everywhere else, I’m ok with that.

Mike_M

Disneyland Trips
                1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1987, 1989
                1990, 1992, 1993
                2006, 2007, 2009
                2010, 2011, 2014

Walt Disney World
                2000, 2001

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Bingo. The reason the Skyway was closed is that Disney didn't want to spend the money to operate and maintain it, and to upgrade the security systems to prevent riders from throwing stuff out of the cabin and spitting on the guests below. Its demise was part of the Eisner/Pressler era of slashing costs -- the "CalOSHA" claim is a myth.

Bonus points to anyone who remembers the exec (I've forgotten his name) who was quoted in print and on video in the 90s spinning the PR that the Skyway was being removed because new attractions elsewhere in the Park were being opened -- the "open one/close one" approach.
                  You can always count on an evil Disney exec spinning the yarn.

Comment

It does take a tiny bit of the sting out of it knowing that at some point I can likely revisit. Count Bears, People Mover, and Carousel of Progress, as long as I can get myself to Florida.
                    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

Yes! I really believe the CalOSHA excuse is a total myth. If it were true that the People Mover tracks were in violation - then how did the Rocket Rods use the exact same track and layout? The RR went through Star Tours, and everything. Problem is Disney management went cheap and didn't add banked turns on the PM track, causing the Rocket Rods to break hard at every turn. Brake failures along with super low ride capacity killed that ride and started the CalOSHA PM track violation myth.

Also, like is mentioned above, there are Skyway type rides at Californians Great America and the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk.

And, I really feel like the crown jewel of Disneyland, that I think WDW doesn't have( I've never been to WDW), is Storybook Land, and Casy Jr. That whole section is just magical. Storybook Land doesn't get enough admiration IMO. It's even better than the DLP version(which I have been to). Also DL teacups are the best.
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpFqwvRZ8bc&t=22s

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
                        Yes! I really believe the CalOSHA excuse is a total myth. If it were true that the People Mover tracks were in violation - then how did the Rocket Rods use the exact same track and layout? The RR went through Star Tours, and everything. Problem is Disney management went cheap and didn't add banked turns on the PM track, causing the Rocket Rods to break hard at every turn. Brake failures along with super low ride capacity killed that ride and started the CalOSHA PM track violation myth.
                        Exactly right. The CalOSHA myths about ride shutdowns are also conflations and mashups of the actual increases of CalOSHA safety regulations on the amusement park industry which were mandated by the State Legislature in the early 2000s.

The primary cause of the increase in regulations was Disney's own notoriously bad safety record during the budget-slashing Pressler years. The irony is that many of Disney's most vigorous online defenders and Pressler apologists are also the most vociferous attackers of CalOSHA.
                        "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                        it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                        together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                        designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                        - Michael Eisner

Comment

Also not mentioned so far is there’s supposed to be an aerial tramway built connecting Union Station in Downtown LA with Dodger Stadium to be completed by 2022. I don’t see CALOSHA making a fuss about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_M View Post
                            I don’t usually throw down in the DL is better than WDW discussions, but I’ve been thinking a lot about WDW lately, and for the context of this topic, I’ve come to the conclusion that while I do wish our Tomorrowland had the peoplemover back (and other things that TL needs in order to reclaim its former glory) the rest of DL and DCA are just plain better overall.

We still have Mr. Toad
                            RSR is significantly better than Test Track
                            GRR is better than Kali River Run
                            WDW’s POTC is a condensed version
                            Our beautiful facade for IASW
                            More than twice as many Fantasyland style Dark Rides at DL than MK
                            New Orleans Square
                            The ease and convenience of Park Hopping
                            I’ll take paying for MaxPass over the headache of FP+ any day.

the list goes on.

So yeah, they have a couple missing pieces to our Tomorrowland, but compared to what we have everywhere else, I’m ok with that.

Agreed. When you look at the attractions that are comparable between the two resorts, Disneyland's versions are better more often than not.

Comment

Exactly right. The CalOSHA myths about ride shutdowns are also conflations and mashups of the actual increases of CalOSHA safety regulations on the amusement park industry which were mandated by the State Legislature in the early 2000s.

The primary cause of the increase in regulations was Disney's own notoriously bad safety record during the budget-slashing Pressler years. The irony is that many of Disney's most vigorous online defenders and Pressler apologists are also the most vociferous attackers of CalOSHA.
                              Of course it was the evil Disney execs, who else could it be?

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post

Also, like is mentioned above, there are Skyway type rides at Californians Great America and the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk.
                                And the San Diego Zoo.

Comment

Originally posted by Right Down Broadway View Post
                                  And the San Diego Zoo.
                                  and at SEA WORLD
                                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by sbk1234 View Post
                                    It does take a tiny bit of the sting out of it knowing that at some point I can likely revisit. Count Bears, People Mover, and Carousel of Progress, as long as I can get myself to Florida.
                                    You need to do it already!!!! You will like the vibe of the Magic kingdom and seeing the other parks is a plus!
                                    These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                                    My company had a special night at the park
                                    WdW trip report with WWoHP
                                    NYE 2011 trip report
                                    Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                                    Leap year 24 hour report
                                    New DCA trip report
                                    NYE 2012
                                    HKDL trip report

Comment

That's right, they let the CalOSHA thing go because it deflected warranted criticism on them. Typical from management.

Really too bad, the Skyway was a magical experience over the park, I wish they had kept it.

Comment

Originally posted by biggsworth View Post

You need to do it already!!!! You will like the vibe of the Magic kingdom and seeing the other parks is a plus!
                                        Already been several times. WDW is my Mecca!
                                        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                                        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

Working...
                                        X