This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Apparently, even ABC thinks it's Cinderella's Castle

People seem to be speaking from very little knowledge about Walt Disney. An adaptation of a story from one medium and into another does not mean that the work in the latter medium is intended to promote the work in the the former. People seem to be equating Sleeping Beauty Castle with those infamous television cartoons, which are made by toy companies in order to sell toys.

For instance, when Walt Disney created "The Jungle Book", he wasn't necessarily "promoting" the Kipling novel. Disney was merely interpreting it for his own artistic purposes. Likewise, no one says that Walt Disney's film, "Sleeping Beauty", was "promoting" the 1697 Charles Perrault story or the 1890 Tchaikovsky ballet. So, why is the 1955 Sleeping Beauty Castle "promoting" the 1959 feature film?
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 11-21-2007, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Because Walt was primarily a businessman?
      There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
      -Dr. Strange

Comment

I think the "idealist" part of your name is beginning to shine through, PM. The difference in the examples you cited is that all the original works were not Disney's. They were various authors' works that seemed like artistically satisfying (and financially plausible) starting points for animated films. With Sleeping Beauty, the film was an upcoming production from his own studio which he, of course, did need to promote. I'm sure Walt felt very good artistically about naming the castle after his upcoming feature, but I highly doubt it was just a coincidence that it happened to be the "next big thing" in his animation department and it needed publicity.

Comment

Originally posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
          So, why is the 1955 Sleeping Beauty Castle "promoting" the 1959 feature film?
          I think the walk-through is the proof of that.
          And do note that the movie was being made at the time of DL's opening. And this doesn't seem like such a big deal for Walt to give in to Roy on this. (He would get even with the Matterhorn construction.)

Comment

Several attractions at Disneyland are adapted from films, books, or both. But, that fact does not mean that Disneyland exists to promote the sale of these things. In fact, the implication is rather insulting to the artists who created Disneyland.

Does anyone seriously believe that Swiss Family Treehouse, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, and Alice in Wonderland exist so that ratings of the films on television might be a little higher?

Comment

Does anyone seriously believe that Swiss Family Treehouse, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, and Alice in Wonderland exist so that ratings of the films on television might be a little higher?
              The answer is yes...only in reverse. After seeing those films back in the day, the people wanted to experience the attraction. Not unlike today when Nemo was a smash hit and by golly if years later we see an attraction with Nemo in it.

Comment

So, were the films created to promote Disneyland?

Comment

I think you're trying to deal too much in absolutes. I don't think films are created soley with the intent to get people to Disneyland. Likewise I don't think things are created in Disneyland for the intent of making films. If the two can bounce of each other, then they do. It's a bonus, if you will.

Comment

Does anyone have any video of the segment?

Comment

It's called synergy and cross-promotion. I think you've heard of them. Stop acting. These decisions are not life/death of either product. A financially simple bonus to the promotion business.

Comment

No those films were created because they were the first medium of entertainment that Walt Disney delt with. He then used those films to in turn promote his park. Most everything in the original Disneyland was inspired in someway shape or form from Walt's previous dealings in his life, whether that be his film adaptations or his childhood.

Disneyland was born out of synergy and it is one reason it has been so successful. Of course Disneyland does have its artistic implications but Walt himself even said that "I never called my work an 'art' It's part of show business, the business of building entertainment."

As for the naming of Sleeping Beauty Castle it was because of Roy wanting to promote the film. The cost for Sleeping Beauty along with other film properties and the construction of Disneyland had put a major strain on the Company's finances.

Roy felt that because Sleeping Beauty was costing the company so much to produce they needed early promotion as a way to ensure enough people would come see the film.
                        Class of 2005...

Comment

Originally posted by mainstreetcm View Post
                          As for the naming of Sleeping Beauty Castle it was because of Roy wanting to promote the film. The cost for Sleeping Beauty along with other film properties and the construction of Disneyland had put a major strain on the Company's finances.

Roy felt that because Sleeping Beauty was costing the company so much to produce they needed early promotion as a way to ensure enough people would come see the film.
                          So, Sleeping Beauty Castle was named by Roy Disney?

Comment

So, Sleeping Beauty Castle was named by Roy Disney?
                            Basically you can look at it that way. I think if it were up to Walt it would have remained Snow White Castle though.

You really need to consider the influence of Roy Disney when you think about Disneyland. Without him what we know today as Disneyland would be a very different place from how we know it and perhaps something we would only be reading about in history books.

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
                              Basically you can look at it that way. I think if it were up to Walt it would have remained Snow White Castle though.

You really need to consider the influence of Roy Disney when you think about Disneyland. Without him what we know today as Disneyland would be a very different place from how we know it and perhaps something we would only be reading about in history books.
                              The whole Company probably wouldn't exist today if it wasn't for Roy. While Walt was the visionary I've always thought that Roy has never gotten the attention he rightfully deserves!
                              Class of 2005...

Comment

Where is the information that Sleeping Beauty Castle was named as such in order to promote attendance for the "Sleeping Beauty" film coming from? ... Jim Hill?

Comment

Where is the information that Sleeping Beauty Castle was named as such in order to promote attendance for the "Sleeping Beauty" film coming from? ... Jim Hill?
                                  Even if there is no official information, logically why else would you name the castle after an upcoming film?

Comment

Maybe someone can site a source. This is just something I have always known.

Comment

ORWEN: Oh, Pragmaticidealist, duckling! Did you happen to know that Sleeping Beauty has both a French AND German version? In the German version, she was named Briar Rose. In the Charles Perrault version, she was just called Sleeping Beauty. Then the Tchykowski Ballet came along and Peter named her Aurora.

ORDDU: It would seem that Walt Disney incorporated ideas from both the French and the German versions for his animated film. And this brings me to note that Disneyland's version of Sleeping Beauty Castle is already appropriately named as it is--because there are both French AND German architecture represented in its construction. My sisters and I have always thought the Neuswashtine (sp?) Castle evoked the story of Sleeping Beauty much more than it could ever evoke the story of Snow White.

ORWEN: For one thing, the castle in the story of Sleeping Beauty played a much more prominent role than the castle in Snow White did. When thinking of Snow White, she's much more quickly associated with a woodland setting and the cottage of the seven dwarves.

ORGOCH: Well, good Lord!! Ain'tcha's all takin' this whole thing a might too serious-like? Ain't there more important things ta talk 'bout considerin' how close we is ta Thanksgivin'? Like who's turn it is ta go out an' shoot us a big ol' buzzard fer Thanksgivin' dinner?! Sheesh!!! Let's git some priorities in line here!!!

Comment

For those of you who know your film history, you may recall that "Sleeping Beauty" was not only criticized for its similarity to "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs"; Disney, himself, knew that the stories were going to be compared with each other.

The nature of folk tales is that they assume new forms as said tales spread from culture to culture, but the same basic story elements are present in both "Snow White" and "Sleeping Beauty." So, how would you have addressed this issue if you were Disney?

Would you have given preference to your old version of the story, or would you have embraced your upcoming version?

Comment

ORWEN: Well, for one thing, in the oiginal story of SNOW WHITE, her prince never really kissed her when he saw her lying there in her coffin after having been poisoned. He picked up the coffin and as he started to carry it away, the jostling actions caused the unswallowed portion of the apple to come loose from Snow White's throat and she came to THAT way. But Uncle Walt wanted a more romantic way to wake her up so he borrowed 'loves first kiss' from Sleeping Beauty.

ORDDU: My sisters and I had read that Mr. Disney would have preferred to make SLEEPING BEAUTY as his first animated film--had it been possible back then--but decided it was too much of a challenge. So he, instead, chose Snow White. Either way, both films are classic masterpieces and we're just glad to have them.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X