• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DisneyIPresume
    replied
    Re: Apparently, even ABC thinks it's Cinderella's Castle

Originally posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    One of the facts arguing in favor of a re-christening to "Snow White Castle" is that the definitive Sleeping Beauty Castle now resides at Disneyland Paris.
    Why is Sleeping Beauty Castle in Disneyland Paris the deinitive Sleeping Beauty Castle in your opinion (not that you will answer this)?

Is it because of the fact that it is the prettiest? Or maybe because it is located in Europe?

Walt Disney never dreamed up a Sleeping Beauty Castle as it appears in Disneyland Paris, let alone Disneyland Paris itself.

The only definitive Disney Castle is the one in Disneyland. All others are merely grandiose variations (except for Hong Kong which unfortunately is a duplicate) of the original, placed in the Magic Kingdom parks of each resort in an effort to mimic the perfection Walt created in Anaheim

Leave a comment:

• Kasey
    replied

To be socially correct, Cinderella is a commoner who simply married well. Whereas Aurora and Snow White are of the Blood Royal and entitled to claim a castle as their own.

Leave a comment:

• Luke Manning
    replied

Getting back on topic, anyone got any video?

Leave a comment:

• PragmaticIdealist
    replied

One of the facts arguing in favor of a re-christening to "Snow White Castle" is that the definitive Sleeping Beauty Castle now resides at Disneyland Paris.

Leave a comment:

• PragmaticIdealist
    replied

All of this information points to the possible intentions behind the switch from Snow White Castle to Sleeping Beauty Castle.

Leave a comment:

• Zeus
    replied

it's not THAT BIG of a deal

Leave a comment:

• Witches of Morva
    replied

ORWEN: Well, for one thing, in the oiginal story of SNOW WHITE, her prince never really kissed her when he saw her lying there in her coffin after having been poisoned. He picked up the coffin and as he started to carry it away, the jostling actions caused the unswallowed portion of the apple to come loose from Snow White's throat and she came to THAT way. But Uncle Walt wanted a more romantic way to wake her up so he borrowed 'loves first kiss' from Sleeping Beauty.

ORDDU: My sisters and I had read that Mr. Disney would have preferred to make SLEEPING BEAUTY as his first animated film--had it been possible back then--but decided it was too much of a challenge. So he, instead, chose Snow White. Either way, both films are classic masterpieces and we're just glad to have them.

Leave a comment:

• PragmaticIdealist
    replied

For those of you who know your film history, you may recall that "Sleeping Beauty" was not only criticized for its similarity to "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs"; Disney, himself, knew that the stories were going to be compared with each other.

The nature of folk tales is that they assume new forms as said tales spread from culture to culture, but the same basic story elements are present in both "Snow White" and "Sleeping Beauty." So, how would you have addressed this issue if you were Disney?

Would you have given preference to your old version of the story, or would you have embraced your upcoming version?

Leave a comment:

• Witches of Morva
    replied

ORWEN: Oh, Pragmaticidealist, duckling! Did you happen to know that Sleeping Beauty has both a French AND German version? In the German version, she was named Briar Rose. In the Charles Perrault version, she was just called Sleeping Beauty. Then the Tchykowski Ballet came along and Peter named her Aurora.

ORDDU: It would seem that Walt Disney incorporated ideas from both the French and the German versions for his animated film. And this brings me to note that Disneyland's version of Sleeping Beauty Castle is already appropriately named as it is--because there are both French AND German architecture represented in its construction. My sisters and I have always thought the Neuswashtine (sp?) Castle evoked the story of Sleeping Beauty much more than it could ever evoke the story of Snow White.

ORWEN: For one thing, the castle in the story of Sleeping Beauty played a much more prominent role than the castle in Snow White did. When thinking of Snow White, she's much more quickly associated with a woodland setting and the cottage of the seven dwarves.

ORGOCH: Well, good Lord!! Ain'tcha's all takin' this whole thing a might too serious-like? Ain't there more important things ta talk 'bout considerin' how close we is ta Thanksgivin'? Like who's turn it is ta go out an' shoot us a big ol' buzzard fer Thanksgivin' dinner?! Sheesh!!! Let's git some priorities in line here!!!

Leave a comment:

• DisneyIPresume
    replied

Where is the information that Sleeping Beauty Castle was named as such in order to promote attendance for the "Sleeping Beauty" film coming from? ... Jim Hill?
    Maybe someone can site a source. This is just something I have always known.

Leave a comment:

• The Mad Hatter
    replied

Where is the information that Sleeping Beauty Castle was named as such in order to promote attendance for the "Sleeping Beauty" film coming from? ... Jim Hill?
    Even if there is no official information, logically why else would you name the castle after an upcoming film?

Leave a comment:

• PragmaticIdealist
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mainstreetcm
    replied

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Basically you can look at it that way. I think if it were up to Walt it would have remained Snow White Castle though.

You really need to consider the influence of Roy Disney when you think about Disneyland. Without him what we know today as Disneyland would be a very different place from how we know it and perhaps something we would only be reading about in history books.
    The whole Company probably wouldn't exist today if it wasn't for Roy. While Walt was the visionary I've always thought that Roy has never gotten the attention he rightfully deserves!

Leave a comment:

• DisneyIPresume
    replied

So, Sleeping Beauty Castle was named by Roy Disney?
    Basically you can look at it that way. I think if it were up to Walt it would have remained Snow White Castle though.

You really need to consider the influence of Roy Disney when you think about Disneyland. Without him what we know today as Disneyland would be a very different place from how we know it and perhaps something we would only be reading about in history books.

Leave a comment:

• PragmaticIdealist
    replied

Originally posted by mainstreetcm View Post
    As for the naming of Sleeping Beauty Castle it was because of Roy wanting to promote the film. The cost for Sleeping Beauty along with other film properties and the construction of Disneyland had put a major strain on the Company's finances.

Roy felt that because Sleeping Beauty was costing the company so much to produce they needed early promotion as a way to ensure enough people would come see the film.
    So, Sleeping Beauty Castle was named by Roy Disney?

Leave a comment:

• mainstreetcm
    replied

So, were the films created to promote Disneyland?
    No those films were created because they were the first medium of entertainment that Walt Disney delt with. He then used those films to in turn promote his park. Most everything in the original Disneyland was inspired in someway shape or form from Walt's previous dealings in his life, whether that be his film adaptations or his childhood.

Disneyland was born out of synergy and it is one reason it has been so successful. Of course Disneyland does have its artistic implications but Walt himself even said that "I never called my work an 'art' It's part of show business, the business of building entertainment."

As for the naming of Sleeping Beauty Castle it was because of Roy wanting to promote the film. The cost for Sleeping Beauty along with other film properties and the construction of Disneyland had put a major strain on the Company's finances.

Roy felt that because Sleeping Beauty was costing the company so much to produce they needed early promotion as a way to ensure enough people would come see the film.

Leave a comment:

• sediment
    replied

It's called synergy and cross-promotion. I think you've heard of them. Stop acting. These decisions are not life/death of either product. A financially simple bonus to the promotion business.

Leave a comment:

• Luke Manning
    replied

Does anyone have any video of the segment?

Leave a comment:

• The Mad Hatter
    replied

I think you're trying to deal too much in absolutes. I don't think films are created soley with the intent to get people to Disneyland. Likewise I don't think things are created in Disneyland for the intent of making films. If the two can bounce of each other, then they do. It's a bonus, if you will.

Leave a comment:

• PragmaticIdealist
    replied

Leave a comment:

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
Working...
X