Announcement

Collapse

Reminder

It is against MiceChat's rules to promote any violations of Disney's rules. Members who choose to brag about breaking Disney's rules, or who encourage others to break Disney rules, will be immediately banned. There will be no exceptions.
See more
See less

Falcon Only Has One Mission

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CM.X777 View Post

There is really only one variable in the mission, and it's whether you get a second container or not. You'll always get the first one because well Disney. The only variation of the mission is where you get 1 container or 2, and you're score. No hidden paths, no branching paths. You always go down the same path. There were plans for more missions, but like several other things on the attraction, they were cut for budget reasons.
    Oh thats sucks. I would've loved to have known what the others were. How many were there suppose to be? Would you say this mission is exciting enough on its own?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

...Which, for all the rationalizations and justifications offered in the thread, is the real bottom line of what happens when Chapek takes control of the plans that Staggs greenlit.

DLR management: "They don't need multiple missions. One is good enough."
      DLR customers: "We don't need multiple missions. One is good enough."

Say what you will about Disney management, one thing is certain: they know their customers.

Can't wait to hear the justifications when Chapek cheaps out on Marvel Land.

I see the point here, but the argument of others are actually rather valid. Most attractions at the resort offer a single "mission" and nary a complaint.

Comment

...Which, for all the rationalizations and justifications offered in the thread, is the real bottom line of what happens when Chapek takes control of the plans that Staggs greenlit.
        I sure there many things was cut, SW/GE when
        Chapek taking over
        any thing to save money !...
        bottom line

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by denyuntilcaught View Post
          I see the point here, but the argument of others are actually rather valid. Most attractions at the resort offer a single "mission" and nary a complaint.
          By that logic, any budget slashing of any greenlit plan can be justified by comparing the result to other, lesser attractions.

Which proves the point that Chapek can and will continue to slash budgets, knowing that his customers will continue to not only accept the lower-quality result, but justify and defend it.
          "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
          it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
          together with every variety of recreation and fun,
          designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
          - Michael Eisner

Comment

There is really only one variable in the mission, and it's whether you get a second container or not. You'll always get the first one because well Disney. The only variation of the mission is where you get 1 container or 2, and you're score. No hidden paths, no branching paths. You always go down the same path. There were plans for more missions, but like several other things on the attraction, they were cut for budget reasons.
            It certainly sounds dull when you put it like that but I will still need to wait and experience it for myself before I come to a final judgement. I got over the whole "alternate storyline experience" thing back in 2011 when they absolutely butchered Star Tours and its story lore with it.

Considering the events in Batuu are claiming to be Star Wars "canon" , branching storylines could cause story discrepencies that would cause losers like myself to lose sleep at night. It would certainly have been nice if they could find a way to make them work out in the end.

I guess its just not a deal breaker for me yet, especially since, again, I dont think we were ever told or even teased that there would be more than one mission to begin with? I could be wrong, please happily correct me if Im being ignorant. Not that I dont think we shouldnt be demanding the best of Disney, I just feel like this particular instance feels like being told you are going to be getting a chocolate cake for dessert in advance and then being upset when it arrives because it wasn't vanilla (again, please, please, PLEASE happily correct me if I've got my facts mixed up).

We'll see how it ends up playing out once I finally get inside the park.
            Last edited by Blurr; 05-14-2019, 06:41 PM.

Comment

I wonder if later they will line people up based on skill level (maybe based on previous mission results stored in the ap). Kind of like in Halo (haven’t played in 8 years) where you would be matched up with similar level people. Otherwise everyone will just be cursing at each other.

i still think one mission makes sense. It’s no different than a video game in campaign mode.o

Comment

Originally posted by greenalfonzo View Post
                Probably like Star Tours, they are saving new missions or offering randomization or whatever to refresh and offer new promotion opportunities years down the road. Unsurprising.
                Old saying...Don't put all your Egg's in one basket !
                Sure your right......they have other mission's , that will come along later.......
                For long while -guest
                only have a chance to to ride it once!
                IMO
                Last edited by Eagleman; 05-14-2019, 08:39 PM.
                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I've followed the announcements, rumors and development of Smuggler's Run from day one. I dont believe I've heard anyone talk about multiple missions until this thread came along. What has always been said is that there are multiple outcomes to "the mission". Can anyone reference previous announcements that talked about multiple missions for Smugglers Run? I must have missed them.

Comment

Originally posted by Figment56 View Post
                    I've followed the announcements, rumors and development of Smuggler's Run from day one. I dont believe I've heard anyone talk about multiple missions until this thread came along. What has always been said is that there are multiple outcomes to "the mission". Can anyone reference previous announcements that talked about multiple missions for Smugglers Run? I must have missed them.
                    I can't seem to find the art piece, but there was concept art showing the Falcon in the sewers with a tentacled monster. Apparently that was supposed to be one of the other missions. Also the twitter account SWGaxaysEdge seems to think there will be multiple missions, tho they are wrong.

Comment

Here a section of a news article from slashfilms, the mission that was finished, and in the ride, is scenario 2

The Millenium Falcon Ride Will Offer One Of Three Randomized Missions

Hondo is sending you and your crew to the dangerous planet of Corellia for our mission, which is actually one of three randomized mission experiences: “As always with Hondo, he leaves out pertinent details about the mission and your crew will have to wing it if they want to survive and complete the mission.” Here are the details of the missions from the MSW report:
                      • “Mission Scenario One: Hondo gets you involved in a race on Corellia that he’s sure you can’t lose with the Millennium Falcon.
                      • Mission Scenario Two: Hondo sends you to the First Order Shipyard on Corellia, possibly on a mission for the Resistance.
                      • Mission Scenario Three: Your crew will have to steal some piece of cargo, but the cargo is guarded by a giant monster similar to The Maw from Solo: A Star Wars Story and you’ll have evade the creature like the mythic heroes stealing the treasure from the sleeping dragon. Spoiler: The dragon wakes up.”

Full article.

https://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-...ized-missions/
                      Last edited by CM.X777; 05-15-2019, 02:05 AM.

Comment

By that logic, any budget slashing of any greenlit plan can be justified by comparing the result to other, lesser attractions.

Which proves the point that Chapek can and will continue to slash budgets, knowing that his customers will continue to not only accept the lower-quality result, but justify and defend it.
                        I don't really consider POTC, Splash, Matterhorn, etc. to be "lesser attractions"...

Budget slashing happens anywhere, anyplace. And while I do think there are moments where it truly is detrimental to the guest experience (aka the entirety of DCA 1.0, Pixar Pier, etc.), I think critics are just using this instance to push their anti-management ideals in yet another thread.

Comment

This whole debacle is giving me the same vibes I had as a student back in 2005 as I was closely following the Space Mountain refurbishment every step of the way. I had heard the rumors surrounding "Rock It Mountain" and could even see the text saying so behind the newly installed Space Mountain signage. Then the 50th Anniversary soundtrack released with the new Space Mountain track and right there on the box it said "(New Daytime Soundtrack)". I remember being so pumped to be getting two attractions in one, essentially.

Low and behold it never happened, despite it being planned so obviously. I was disappointed, especially after Space CM's telling me at the time they had a switch on their tower console to change it from Day to Night mode at any moments notice. Maybe I was better off never knowing what was planned to begin with.

I do vaguely remember reading something about the alternate mission where you would encounter a creature similar to the one seen in Solo, thank you for reminding me. If the cut missions end up being true, as I'm certain they are (though most sites talking about the alternate missions have a disclaimer on them saying to take what you read as rumor), there will no doubt be a sting of disappointment same as what I experienced before.

But lots of incredible ideas have been placed into the concept phase and then trimmed away as attractions are constructed. It is, after all, called Blue Sky for a reason. The sky is the limit! At least.. in your imagination. When certain realities sets in, some dreams die, as sad as it is to say. I always think back to the INCREDIBLE looking concept art for the Indiana Jones Expedition in Disneyland. The adventure ride we have now.. sharing a massive show building which the Jungle Cruise and Disneyland Railroad would pass through, along with a mine cart roller coaster too! This dream was grand, ambitious and sadly, not to be.

Despite it all, to this day, Indiana Jones remains one of the resorts best attractions (when everything is working!). I will again, reserve judgement for Smuggler's Run for when I see it myself.

Comment

Here a section of a news article from slashfilms, the mission that was finished, and in the ride, is scenario 2

The Millenium Falcon Ride Will Offer One Of Three Randomized Missions

Hondo is sending you and your crew to the dangerous planet of Corellia for our mission, which is actually one of three randomized mission experiences: “As always with Hondo, he leaves out pertinent details about the mission and your crew will have to wing it if they want to survive and complete the mission.” Here are the details of the missions from the MSW report:
                            • “Mission Scenario One: Hondo gets you involved in a race on Corellia that he’s sure you can’t lose with the Millennium Falcon.
                            • Mission Scenario Two: Hondo sends you to the First Order Shipyard on Corellia, possibly on a mission for the Resistance.
                            • Mission Scenario Three: Your crew will have to steal some piece of cargo, but the cargo is guarded by a giant monster similar to The Maw from Solo: A Star Wars Story and you’ll have evade the creature like the mythic heroes stealing the treasure from the sleeping dragon. Spoiler: The dragon wakes up.”

Full article.

https://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-...ized-missions/
                            Well, sounds like they at least chose the good one of the three. Scenarios 1 & 3 don't seem nearly as interesting. The first one, especially, sounds a little too pod-racey.

Comment

Originally posted by Blurr View Post
                              But lots of incredible ideas have been placed into the concept phase and then trimmed away as attractions are constructed. It is, after all, called Blue Sky for a reason. The sky is the limit! At least.. in your imagination. When certain realities sets in, some dreams die, as sad as it is to say.
                              I agree. I doubt there is there a single attraction in resort history that never had stuff cut from the original concepts and planning.

Contrary to popular belief, neither Michael Eisner, nor Bob Chapek invented the concept of reigning in the budget. Once upon a time, the imagineers started out with Western River Expedition, and ended up with Big Thunder Mountain once the accountants got done slicing. That was almost 50 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by denyuntilcaught View Post
                                I think critics are just using this instance to push their anti-management ideals in yet another thread.
                                Ah. The blanket "Any criticism of Disney management is the result of the critic's anti-management agenda" defense.

Simple, diverts-and-distracts from the issue under discussion, easy to apply in all situations.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                - Michael Eisner

Comment

Originally posted by longbeachaztec View Post

I agree. I doubt there is there a single attraction in resort history that never had stuff cut from the original concepts and planning.

Contrary to popular belief, neither Michael Eisner, nor Bob Chapek invented the concept of reigning in the budget. Once upon a time, the imagineers started out with Western River Expedition, and ended up with Big Thunder Mountain once the accountants got done slicing. That was almost 50 years ago.
                                  As much as I agree with what you are saying, ie. any and all attractions have probably suffered cutbacks, I think the Western River Expedition was cut mainly because WDW vistiors were complaining that they didn't have a Pirates of the Caribbean? WRE was supposed to be their own, unique version but Guests clamored for Pirates more. I think WRE also broke apart not just into Big Thunder but also Splash Mountain.

Not to say that I'm sure it wouldn't have suffered from budget cuts had it been built or that maybe budget cuts weren't just another justification they had for building Pirates instead, that may very well be the case. But I am not researched enough on the topic so I don't want to say one way or the other.

Comment

Originally posted by Blurr View Post

As much as I agree with what you are saying, ie. any and all attractions have probably suffered cutbacks, I think the Western River Expedition was cut mainly because WDW vistiors were complaining that they didn't have a Pirates of the Caribbean? WRE was supposed to be their own, unique version but Guests clamored for Pirates more. I think WRE also broke apart not just into Big Thunder but also Splash Mountain.

Not to say that I'm sure it wouldn't have suffered from budget cuts had it been built or that maybe budget cuts weren't just another justification they had for building Pirates instead, that may very well be the case. But I am not researched enough on the topic so I don't want to say one way or the other.
                                    I think Pirates did play a big part in it. As with most things in life, it's not an altogether black/white story.

Comment

Ah. The blanket "Any criticism of Disney management is the result of the critic's anti-management agenda" defense.

Simple, diverts-and-distracts from the issue under discussion, easy to apply in all situations.
                                      What can I say? I learned from the best.

And in all fairness, it's rarely ever "any criticism of management is the result of the critics anti-management agenda." As others have stated in this thread, budgets get cut with every single attraction. Don't think the hyperbolic trope around "cheap management" - which is accurate in more cases than not - when they just gave us a billion dollar land is justified in this case.
                                      Last edited by denyuntilcaught; 05-15-2019, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Regardless of how many options, I can already picture a group of friends exiting the ride after one of them caused the mission to fail all taunting them " You had one Job!...." lol!

Comment

DLR management: "They don't need multiple missions. One is good enough."
                                          DLR customers: "We don't need multiple missions. One is good enough."

Say what you will about Disney management, one thing is certain: they know their customers.

Can't wait to hear the justifications when Chapek cheaps out on Marvel Land.

Do you find it very easy to judge others as mentally inferior to you and easily duped? You seem to really enjoy doing so.
                                          Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

Comment

Working...
                                          X