Get Away Today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entertainment Cancelled in Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge

Hi you guys!!! Things got total cray-cray at work after I talked about the Magic Happens parade. But it's still happening, and two guys I know in Tech Services confirmed it even more for me. They knew about next year's Magic parade too from their managers, but were keeping it hush-hush and since they are straight guys they didn't even have to get hit on at The Abbey by some turnt managers to find out about it!!! LOL!!!

I rode Smuggler's Run twice during their recent CM testings, and I think it's gonna be out of control popular. I'm not a gamer, so I didn't get that much into the actual ride, but just walking into the Millenium Falcon was awesome, and the queue is beyond belief!!

But being in the land and wandering backstage nearby was painful for many of us in Entertainment, because there was supposed to be so, so, so, soooooo much more to the land when it opens. According to several very knowledgeable Ent CM's it got cut by Bob Chapek in several rounds of cost cuttings over the last three years. After riding the Falcon the second time I learned the following stuff was cut and why----

The Dinner Show - This was supposed to be the big fancy sit-down restaurant next to Oga's Cantina. The Cantina was just supposed to be the small lobby lounge for the Dinner Show, like how Carthay Circle has its lounge downstairs. The Dinner Show would have been audience interactive and had AGVA performers, singers, musicians, and a small army of Tech Services CM's running the show, like a swanky Star Wars version of the Hoop De Doo Revue in World.

The space for the restaurant is still there as a paved parking lot now, and will be used as overflow queue line for the Falcon ride. The dinner show was one of the first things Chapek cut because it would cost a lot to keep running and operating, and Chapek doesn't like to set the bar high on stuff. According to Ent. management, Chapek likes to lower the bar as much as he can and then raise it later if enough people complain.

Oga's Cantina is TINY!!!!! and it's going to be hard to get in there, and they don't want you to stay long.

The Droids - These were cut out of the land entirely over a year ago, and the line that it's because of "overcrowding" is totally false. The real reason the droids were cut is because they would be operated remotely by Ent. CM's backstage who would be classified by the union as Puppeteers, and Puppeteers have a higher pay scale than many other Ent. CM's. This was easy for Chapek to cut because he got to it just before fabrication was to start, so he saved on fabrication costs over two fiscal years and saves on the cost of the Puppeteer payscales now.

This was also why they cancelled the Disney Jr. puppet show in DCA and turned it into a dance party, because a Puppeteer payscale is very high. A droid interacting with an audience has to be controlled by a union Puppeteer, so goodbye to all the droids that WDI planned for!!!.

The Land Performers - When we were going into Smuggler's Run, the overhead walkways and bridges nearby in the land were pointed out to me. This is where Ent. had interactive performances planned that would have gone along the rooflines and overhead walkways around the western half of the land. The show concept was going to use stuntmen, AGVA performers, and Tech Services to run it, and all of those classifications have upper payscales in the union contract, especially stuntmen. So Chapek cut them, but says he may approve adding them back later.

Ent. management also says that Chapek is fascinated by making the ride ops and foods and stores CM's get into the "Show" with their Batuu language. He's hoping that the ride ops and shop cashiers and foods CM's will be entertaining enough that you won't miss AGVA performers and professionally trained entertainers. It's much cheaper to pay a ride op to ham it up than it is to pay a professional singer/dancer/actor, plus the Tech Services that run their equipment and backstage support!!!

Also, the Smuggler's Run CM's told us they were supposed to be assigned to Rise of the Resistance, but Resistance is so screwed up and so behind schedule that they have nowhere else to go. They can't get the Resistance ride to run for more than 15 minutes at a time, before it breaks down for two or three hours!!!

I'm going back to the land next week for more rides and previews, I'll see what else gets mentioned!!!

Why Bob Iger gave Chapek such an important role in the company is so beyond me ..... Mr Iger, with all your experience, skills, and education..... pardon me for saying so - that was one of your worst decisions in your tenure as CEO!
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

That’s all cool Information, but if they fire you won’t you be annoyed you gave up a cool CM position just to post on Mice Chat?

If true though, it is lame they would spend so much then cheap out on the final touches. It’s like when a restaurant has a really good chicken sandwich, then the serve garbage fries. Or a breakfast place with crappy bacon. What? Why?!

Comment

Originally posted by brian11811 View Post
        That’s all cool Information, but if they fire you won’t you be annoyed you gave up a cool CM position just to post on Micechat?!
        The Disney Gestapo has to catch him first! He/she hasn’t divulged any pertinent information about them self in their profile. And why would they care so close to opening day anyway? There’s going to be information getting out close to grand opening for any park, land, ride anyway.
        MY SIGNATURE:
        Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

The bizarre thing here ..... they want to pull out on all stops to show off their biggest expansion to DL in decades. And show off the world’s first Star Wars theme park land. This whole thing is a knee jerk reaction to show those Universal Wizarding World folk what Disney can do! So how does it make sense to make big budget cuts before they get out the door .. AND not even have RotR ready for the land debut?

I really can’t get over how incredibly stupid the Walt Disney Co. is to repeat history with another Pressler era!

They learned absolutely nothing! That era - Eisner’s final (cheap) years with Braverman, Pressler, Harris, and all the other minions of cheapness have all returned!

I got this to say - All you lot running the shots .... just leave Tomorrowland ALONE! Let the next regime beyond you to deal with it. Keep your distance from it!!
          MY SIGNATURE:

Comment

Eeeek... this is actually quite upsetting, but I can't say I didn't see it coming. As a performer, I've been checking the auditions website diligently all year long and was surprised they had not posted a call for performers for the land... so far they are only hiring Stormtroopers, which I believe are not AGVA?

Really sucks and is a bit cheap that they are making the CM's who are earning minimum wage as a substitute for trained performers *facepalm*. Hopefully they'll come to their senses. They need more AGVA opportunities!
            I have a dream
            A song to sing
            To help me cope
            Trough everything

If you see the wonder
            of a FairyTale
            You can take the future
            even if you fail...

I believe in Angels
            Something good in everything I see
            I believe in Angels
            When I know the time is right for me...

I'll cross the stream.... I have a dream

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Disney View Post
              Hopefully they'll come to their senses.

HUH! Doubt it!
              Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 05-16-2019, 01:06 AM.
              MY SIGNATURE:

Comment

Wow that really blows!!!!! I'm still super excited but some of this would really spice up the land. And I been complaining about the lack of a full service restaurant on another site and how it makes no sense to me all of that was cut. And adding a show to that would make sense financially because you can charge them an arm and a leg for the dinner. Most people would happily pay more if they thought they were getting a show on top of dinner too. That one is the real head scrather for me. They did say on the other site they still plan to build a full on restaurant though, but who knows?

Of course like the restaurant, some of this could make its way eventually but it sounds like while Chapek is around, probably not likely unfortunately.

Comment

Well, maybe it will be like the Jungle Cruise cms, who are not paid as entertainers, (but actually are) and do a great job.

My fear is it will be like at Johnny Rockets, where they put on a 50s song and they’re supposed to dance and sing. I don’t know if they still do it, but most of the times I saw them do it, it was like watching a 5 year old’s school play where they didn’t want to be there, non performers forced to perform. Going through the motions and uncomfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
                    Why Bob Iger gave Chapek such an important role in the company is so beyond me ..... Mr Iger, with all your experience, skills, and education..... pardon me for saying so - that was one of your worst decisions in your tenure as CEO!

Yes it feels a bit similar to the Michael Eisner-Paul Pressler situation. That definitely bit us in the butt and gave us the turkey known as DCA. I don't really know much about Chapek if I'm being honest beyond the posts I read about him here but his strategy sounds pretty familiar like Pressler....and about as popular lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Fctiger View Post
                      Yes it feels a bit similar to the Michael Eisner-Paul Pressler situation.
                      Chapek = Pressler 2.0 was predicted by many on this forum shortly after he replaced Tom Staggs (who greenlit Star Wars Land). He didn't get the nickname "Cheapta$tic Chapek" for nothing.

Originally posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
                      Why Bob Iger gave Chapek such an important role in the company is so beyond me .....
                      Eisner demanded double-digit profits from Disneyland, and Pressler dutifully budget-slashed his way to winning the acclaim of Eisner and Wall Street. Chapek is performing a similar service for Iger -- especially valuable now, when the Company is looking to slash costs after the Fox acquisition.

Sadly, none of Chapek's cutbacks matter to Disney's core customer base.
                      Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 05-16-2019, 12:01 AM.
                      "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                      designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                      - Michael Eisner

Comment

Once the land opens and we get to see firsthand the lack of entertainment and the effects of the apparent budget cuts, our disappointment and complaints need to be directed to Guest Services. If there is any hope of restored budgets, a tsunami of complaints needs to be lodged by as many guests as possible. While I am excited for the land to open, I am also disappointed by the absence of what could have been. Interaction with Droids. A multitude of live atmosphere entertainers. A large sit down restaurant with live entertainment. The planned third ride...the Bantha Excursion. I think the Imagineering folks put forth the best possible work that they could...until the sharp pencil necks got ahold of those amazing plans and carved away some substantial soul out of the land. Other posters are dead on here...has Disney learned nothing from the Paul Pressler days?

Comment

For all my complaining about this entire project I thought what was really going to win, was not so much the rides .... but the atmosphere.... from one end of the land to the other. IE - performers, props placed around that beep at us or talk (droids),live music .... just a richness of the same kind of details that separate Disney from everyone else. But, actually.... I can’t say that anymore— Universal ! Can someone tell me if Universal made budget cuts just before they opened Wizarding World, and again for Diagon Alley? I bet they didn’t!
                          MY SIGNATURE:

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                            Chapek = Pressler 2.0 was predicted by many on this forum shortly after he replaced Tom Staggs (who greenlit Star Wars Land). He didn't get the nickname "Cheapta$tic Chapek" for nothing.
                            I remember that Wiggins. As I read through those posts .... I actually got a sick feeling as I knew, if we went through it before with the Pressler era ... we were going to go through it again. I had one little ray of hope. For all my griping about Robert Iger ... I thought in the back of mind .... He would look after the Disney legacy, and the parks, especially Disneyland itself by having the right leadership.

Just taking a step back ........ Here's a guy with an important job. He should know by now Disneyland itself has to be kept on a higher pedestal against all other parks. He probably laughs at us ... and thinks ... We know nothing of his actual job, and what he has to do. And I'll give you that Mr. Iger ... there's a lot about your role I would not understand.

But you gave us Pressler 2.0 ......... Did you not learn where that put the company? You are brought it on again ............ and before you think of leaving, give those of us who do believe in the longevity of the Disney legacy ........ a chance to have someone making calls who ALSO understands the Disney legacy.

Please?

MY SIGNATURE:

Comment

Originally posted by Fctiger View Post
                              Of course like the restaurant, some of this could make its way eventually but it sounds like while Chapek is around, probably not likely unfortunately.
                              I am sure there is a lot more to this story than will ever be revealed. But something to consider: as their primary concern seems to be over crowding, cutting back on entertainment and atmosphere could be a decision made for safety as much as anything else. Entertainment can always be added later as they gauge the crowd movements and what would work best for the performers and guests, so it's not at all surprising that they are adopting a wait and see mode.

And I wouldn't put any stock in these complaints about Chapek. Seems people have short memories and already forgot he's spending MORE money to bring an additional attraction to Disneyland with Runaway Railway. In fact, since that attraction will be placed on the site of the current entertainment production building, it may also point to a large reduction in entertainment capacity that would also necessitate temporarily reducing offerings for Star Wars land. Since we already know that Disney plans to use Stormtroopers to enforce the reservation times, that may also show a need to shift capacity from entertainment offerings to just having more Stormtroopers for the first few months. Those costumes seem like they would take up a lot of space.

The mechinations of theme park operations are complex and varied and unfortunately people try to dumb it down into something easier to understand. But usually budget cuts are just not the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Chapek = Pressler 2.0 was predicted by many on this forum shortly after he replaced Tom Staggs (who greenlit Star Wars Land).

So true Mr Wiggins , Star Wars Land was greenlit by Staggs, the only reason it isn't cutback more is that much of the planning and startup was in place when Chapek took the helm. Chapek has to budget and plan for current operations, thus his legendary cheapness shows its colors, a Chapek cheapout.

Everything he does is so tacky to save a buck, it must be pathological, how else could one explain it? Having Food and Beverage and Merchandise CMs take double duty to perform song and dance as living puppets to amuse the crowds? I mean think about it, he debases everything about Disneyland's history of showmanship wherever he puts his fingerprints.

Comment

If any of this is at all true, it's just another indication of the cheapening of the Disney franchise. One of the first rules in Customer Service is, "Under promise and over deliver" "Cheap$kate" Chapek has that backwards.

Anyway, it remains to be seen what actually happens after Opening Day.

Comment

Originally posted by LilMonsterPageantHelper View Post
                                    The space for the restaurant is still there as a paved parking lot now, and will be used as overflow queue line for the Falcon ride.
                                    *record scratch*

Woah, woah, woah, hold the phone! They're even THINKING about using an unpaved parking lot as queue space in Batuu? After all that talk about immersion and the little details? I certainly HOPE not. If they think that area is going to be needed for overflow queue space they had better move heaven and earth to put SOMETHING there. I mean, even a pile of dirt surrounded by fake foliage would be better than unpaved blacktop.

The Droids - These were cut out of the land entirely over a year ago, and the line that it's because of "overcrowding" is totally false. The real reason the droids were cut is because they would be operated remotely by Ent. CM's backstage who would be classified by the union as Puppeteers, and Puppeteers have a higher pay scale than many other Ent. CM's. This was easy for Chapek to cut because he got to it just before fabrication was to start, so he saved on fabrication costs over two fiscal years and saves on the cost of the Puppeteer payscales now.

This was also why they cancelled the Disney Jr. puppet show in DCA and turned it into a dance party, because a Puppeteer payscale is very high. A droid interacting with an audience has to be controlled by a union Puppeteer, so goodbye to all the droids that WDI planned for!!!.
                                    As nice as this would have been (I always thought Push the Talking Trash Can was fun when I was younger), I could have seen this being cut even if it weren't for the whole, puppeteer pay thing. Galaxy's Edge is going to be an absolute mad house and me, personally, wouldn't want to drop droids that people are probably gonna push and shove over to get to where they want to go. Maybe they can meet someplace in the middle on this in the future, like flying Star Wars themed drones by using.. well, decorated drones. This would keep the walkways clear during the opening rush and who knows, maybe there is some kind of loophole that can be exploited when it comes to drone vs. puppeteer?

The Land Performers - When we were going into Smuggler's Run, the overhead walkways and bridges nearby in the land were pointed out to me. This is where Ent. had interactive performances planned that would have gone along the rooflines and overhead walkways around the western half of the land. The show concept was going to use stuntmen, AGVA performers, and Tech Services to run it, and all of those classifications have upper payscales in the union contract, especially stuntmen. So Chapek cut them, but says he may approve adding them back later.
                                    Disappointing but not surprising after the entertainment cutbacks to "streetmosphere" performers in the parks after the whole Shanghai debacle. I wont hold my breath for their re-addition.

Also, the Smuggler's Run CM's told us they were supposed to be assigned to Rise of the Resistance, but Resistance is so screwed up and so behind schedule that they have nowhere else to go. They can't get the Resistance ride to run for more than 15 minutes at a time, before it breaks down for two or three hours!!!
                                    I'm not sure whether to be excited or disappointed. I get that this is going to be the most advanced ride ever built, that part makes me stoked to see it. But they'd better get all their ducks in a row, and soon. I remember the nightmare that was waiting hours in line for the Rocket Rods only to have it be constantly breaking down as my family would get near the front.

First of all, the name's not "Zippy"! As a matter of fact, I don't believe I've ever met another bot named Zippy, so one can only assume that you came up with "Zippy" in reference to my speed, which may be technically accurate, but lacks a certain creativity!

Comment

Originally posted by MrLiver View Post
                                      ...I wouldn't put any stock in these complaints about Chapek. Seems people have short memories and already forgot he's spending MORE money to bring an additional attraction to Disneyland with Runaway Railway.
                                      Yes. He's a marvel. He even makes the trains run on-time (history buffs will get that one)

Comment

This is so disheartening and I know I shouldn’t be that surprised but what can I say but hope springs eternal? I am really thankful that you brought this up because I recall hearing about these plans a while back and was wondering what happened. Did I imagine them?

What I find extra sad is that I would bet some people would dismiss this on the grounds that Universal’s Potter doesn’t have any of these extensive restaurants and other accoutrements, thus why should we expect it from Disney? I was really hoping that Disney would use Potter as leaping board and improve from there. We are lucky the gave us 2 legitimate (?) attractions at this rate.

Comment

Working...
                                        X