Announcement

Collapse

Reminder

It is against MiceChat's rules to promote any violations of Disney's rules. Members who choose to brag about breaking Disney's rules, or who encourage others to break Disney rules, will be immediately banned. There will be no exceptions.
See more
See less

LA Times: Engineers up failure risk to dam protecting Disneyland, dozens of OC cities

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News LA Times: Engineers up failure risk to dam protecting Disneyland, dozens of OC cities

From the LA Times article:

Federal engineers are raising alarms that a “significant flood event” could compromise the spillway of Southern California’s aging Prado Dam and potentially inundate dozens of Orange County communities from Disneyland to Newport Beach.

After conducting an assessment of the 78-year-old structure earlier this month, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers announced that it was raising the dam’s risk category from “moderate” to “high urgency."

“Our concern right now is about the concrete slab of the spillway and how well it will perform if water were to spill over the top of the dam,” said Lillian Doherty, the Army Corps’ division chief. “We will determine whether or not it is as reliable as it should be.”

Located beside the 91 Freeway on the border of Riverside and Orange counties, the dam impounds little to no water for much of the year. During periods of heavy rain, however, the structure is intended to collect water and prevent flooding along the Santa Ana River.

Doherty said her agency is working with a national team of experts to develop interim and permanent risk-reduction measures at the dam, as well as public outreach strategies to alert the estimated 1.4 million people who live and work in 29 communities downstream.

The sudden downgrade in the structure’s evaluation comes after major problems have been identified in California dams....

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
    designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
    - Michael Eisner

Exactly how close is Disneyland to the spillway? I know Universal is right next to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
      Exactly how close is Disneyland to the spillway? I know Universal is right next to it.
      Prado is a different reservoir from the one near Universal. Here's the map in the LA Times article:

Click image for larger version  Name:	la-1558055745-zzjfgo8s51-snap-image.jpg Views:	0 Size:	92.9 KB ID:	8587762

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

Comment

Comment

This is now all over the News.......there is concern.......
          mostly
          Riverside and Orange counties,
          I have concern down river ,were I live
          Never knew that little dam hold so much rain water........

Thanks Mr. Wiggins- 4 the Information
          Last edited by Eagleman; 05-17-2019, 04:29 PM.
          Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

No need to panic. A serious flood isn’t going to happen tomorrow or the next day. They just take into account cyclable events that do eventually tend to happen (ie - 10, 30, 50, 100, 200, 500 year floods) OC’s last major flood was 1937. Prior to that .... last 100-250 year flood to California was 1861.

I watched the Santa Ana River in my youth go from it’s dirt slopped design to being upgraded with tall concrete walls. Seems like they are continuing to look around other places that need improvements to keep OC 100% protected from those 100 to 500 year events from happening.

Now, are we 100% protected from the San Andreas fault and the other 300 fault lines running underneath O.C.?

Probably not. I think earthquakes are a bigger threat.
            MY SIGNATURE:
            Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post

Now, are we 100% protected the San Andreas fault and other 300 fault lines running underneath O.C.?

That my concern......I seen the movie "EARTHQUAK"

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

From the article:

“A troubling theme is emerging as the Corps reviews its portfolio of large flood control systems that were built a long time ago and are now showing signs of severe stress,” said Daniel Swain, a UCLA climate scientist. “Federal engineers are finding that these systems are not as resilient as they thought they were, and that the frequency of what were regarded as once-in-a-lifetime storms is increasing significantly.”

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

Comment

This sounds like a repeat of Oroville...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oroville_Dam_crisis

Comment

Originally posted by danlb_2000 View Post
                    This sounds like a repeat of Oroville...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oroville_Dam_crisis
                    I was thinking the same.....except there more people in the O.C. area .
                    And this winter "storms
                    " have increasing significantly.”
                    But same time ,I hear that they not going be working
                    on the DAM to 2021
                    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Same time ,I hearing ,there Lot's of Dam's in the southland ,they having concerns ,because of there AGE
                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

It really is not so much how far the dam is away from Disneyland so much as Disneyland sits right in the middle of the natural river bed/flood plain that the Santa Ana River has followed for thousands of years. The Santa Ana River is different from most rivers (outside of Southern California) as it never had a set course. The rains would come in the winter and the river would spread out through the northern third of OC, eventually draining into and around Newport Harbor. Then the dry summer would arrive, leaving vernal pools throughout the area. (Before European settlement Northern OC used to be a swamp!) Once the rains came back in the winter the area would flood again.

To prevent this from happening the Army Corp of Engineers came in, built the Prado Dam, and cemented in a flood channel which is still there today. It would appear that this system is aging and a fierce storm could cause severe flooding once again if the system fails. 100 years is not going to stop something that occurred naturally for thousands of times longer than that.

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
                          It really is not so much how far the dam is away from Disneyland so much as Disneyland sits right in the middle of the natural river bed/flood plain that the Santa Ana River has followed for thousands of years. The Santa Ana River is different from most rivers (outside of Southern California) as it never had a set course. The rains would come in the winter and the river would spread out through the northern third of OC, eventually draining into and around Newport Harbor. Then the dry summer would arrive, leaving vernal pools throughout the area. (Before European settlement Northern OC used to be a swamp!) Once the rains came back in the winter the area would flood again.

To prevent this from happening the Army Corp of Engineers came in, built the Prado Dam, and cemented in a flood channel which is still there today. It would appear that this system is aging and a fierce storm could cause severe flooding once again if the system fails. 100 years is not going to stop something that occurred naturally for thousands of times longer than that.
                          Good Information......
                          There lot's of water ,that comes off the
                          Santa Ana Mountains range

But we do not think of it, till the winter storms hit ,like this last season.........
                          But would add even the area's long the shoreline in south Orange County is also swamp.
                          and parts of it is ,sinking.....I know ...I live in the area
                          Last edited by Eagleman; 05-17-2019, 09:06 PM.
                          Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
                            No need to panic. A serious flood isn’t going to happen tomorrow or the next day. They just take into account cyclable events that do eventually tend to happen (ie - 10, 30, 50, 100, 200, 500 year floods) OC’s last major flood was 1937. Prior to that .... last 100-250 year flood to California was 1861.

I watched the Santa Ana River in my youth go from it’s dirt slopped design to being upgraded with tall concrete walls. Seems like they are continuing to look around other places that need improvements to keep OC 100% protected from those 100 to 500 year events from happening.

Now, are we 100% protected from the San Andreas fault and the other 300 fault lines running underneath O.C.?

Natural overflooding isn't the issue. Earthquakes can compromise the dam, leading to structural issues and potential failure. This could lead to the potential flooding.

Originally posted by Eagleman View Post
                            That my concern......I seen the movie "EARTHQUAKE"[sic]
                            OFF TOPIC: While 'Earthquake' may be well known for its Special Effects at the time, it has a horrendous script. Nothing can compare to cringe-worthiness, of having Charleton Heston having an affair with a women old enough to be his daughter. Ick!

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
                              While 'Earthquake' may be well known for its Special Effects at the time, it has a horrendous script. Nothing can compare to cringe-worthiness, of having Charleton Heston having an affair with a women old enough to be his daughter. Ick!
                              Au contraire! Men have relationships with women young enough to be their daughters, so why not the reverse? Besides, we're talking Chuck Chuck Bo Buck -- he was Moses, after all. If Chuckie were around and the dam burst, he'd part the waters and save Disneyland. Of course, that would mean the waters would fall to the north and south, wiping out Yorba Linda, Placentia, Fullteron and Orange... but hey, that's for another movie.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4;n8587781

OFF TOPIC: While 'Earthquake' may be well known for its Special Effects at the time, it has a [I
                                horrendous [/I]script. Nothing can compare to cringe-worthiness, of having Charleton Heston having an affair with a women old enough to be his daughter. Ick!
                                😝🤣😆

MY SIGNATURE:
                                Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

Could you imagine the PR Disney could get if they invested in the dam the same way they did to Notre Dame? They would not only be protecting their park but they could spin themselves as potential saviors to most of Orange County.

Just an idea.. just sayin' Disney!

Comment

Originally posted by Blurr View Post
                                    Could you imagine the PR Disney could get if they invested in the dam the same way they did to Notre Dame? They would not only be protecting their park but they could spin themselves as potential saviors to most of Orange County.

Just an idea.. just sayin' Disney!
                                    This is the Prado Dam we are talking about. Who’s heard of that? Now if this was Hoover Dam we are talking about that’s a different story. Disney will Be first in line!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Orange County Prado Dam Inundation Map1.JPG
Views:	576
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	8587796
                                      Click image for larger version

Name:	Orange County Prado Dam Inundation Map2.JPG
Views:	576
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	8587797

Comment

Hey, maybe the berm will be put to good use as a floodwall.
                                        "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." - ​Walt Disney

Comment

Working...
                                        X