Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

consider this dismaying observation .............

Surely it has dawned on everyone, that he is possibly being groomed to take Iger's spot, when he decides to step down.

We are in yet another Pressler era ... except Pressler never became CEO.

to coin a phrase ....

I got a very bad feeling about this.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
      We are in yet another Pressler era ... except Pressler never became CEO.
      And yet he was earning the praise of Eisner and Wall Street for the ginormous profits he was milking from Disneyland and WDW, along with his previous success as head of Disney Stores. Had it not been for the accidents and deaths caused by his maintenance cutbacks, there's little doubt that Pressler would have been on the short list for CEO.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
      designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
      - Michael Eisner

Comment

BOB= It’s about the BRAND's and Extend storytelling
        is $ MONEY $ MONEY $ MONEY $
        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Okay Bob, you talk a good talk about brands and franchises and embarrassment of riches, and the importance of all of of the areas inside and outside of the berm supporting each other create even more embarrassing riches... Here is my challenge to you, Bob... The creative concepts for a new Tomorrowland need to be based on NO current IP. I want you (WDI and Walt Disney Pictures actually) to come up with all original thematic concepts and attractions that ORIGINATE at Disneyland, but have simultaneous film, product, and brand development that turn those ideas into billion dollar new franchises. Disney has the creative talent, you have the ability to talk corporate PR speak endlessly, and the company has plenty of money, so it should be easy. I'll make sure everyone here puts you up on a pedestal and screams "What a brilliant leader!!!" Make me proud Bob... Step out of your comfort zone and show us what a real creative leader looks like...Please...

Comment

This video, just wow. So much has been said about Chapek by many over the years, but this video justifies every concern, every fear.

The guy is smug beyond words, boastful about the lack of creativity, and shameless about money money money.

He truly is the anti-Walt.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Zephyr View Post
              This video, just wow. So much has been said about Chapek by many over the years, but this video justifies every concern, every fear.

The guy is smug beyond words, boastful about the lack of creativity, and shameless about money money money.

From the mouth Bob Chapek , is the real TRUTH.......your right.....
              Justifies every concern, every Fear.
              Last edited by Eagleman; 05-31-2019, 05:49 PM.
              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

The target audience for this was obviously meant to be the financial industry and current/potential investors, not Disney fans. Not saying that makes it any better, just saying that he was speaking business lingo for a reason. It seems like that's more his forte than marketing or PR speak.

*Actually, it sounded like an appeal to investors and also telling fans 'Do you really expect me not to leverage every bit of valuable property we have? Don't be foolish!'
                Last edited by BiggestDisneyFan; 05-31-2019, 08:38 AM.
                Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

Comment

Originally posted by BiggestDisneyFan View Post
                  *Actually, it sounded like an appeal to investors and also telling fans 'Do you really expect me not to leverage every bit of valuable property we have? Don't be foolish!'
                  I'm surprised he even mentioned that, as well! Is he actually reading MC???

Chapek does have a point, regarding franchises, they sell.While it would be nice to have something different, something already established will be more successful in the long run. It's like the introduction of Duffy the Bear. Sure he's was hit in Tokyo, but we American tourists didn't know who the heck he was, so why should we care about some random bear verses someone established like Pooh.

I'm not defending him, but from a business perspective, he's right.

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post

I'm surprised he even mentioned that, as well! Is he actually reading MC???

Chapek does have a point, regarding franchises, they sell.While it would be nice to have something different, something already established will be more successful in the long run. It's like the introduction of Duffy the Bear. Sure he's was hit in Tokyo, but we American tourists didn't know who the heck he was, so why should we care about some random bear verses someone established like Pooh.

I'm not defending him, but from a business perspective, he's right.
                    From an upper-management in a modern company point of view, what he says makes perfect sense. It's not the small percentage of die-hard fans that object to Disney leveraging it's IP that continue to make Disney the multi-billion-dollar company it is. It's the vast majority of people that have some level of affection (?) for various Disney properties and justifiably appreciate when the characters and stories are turned into an experience that they can fully immerse themselves in. For Disney to not give them what they want would be really foolish. For me, it's a matter of wanting attractions to be high quality and I hope for a balance of IP-based attractions, attractions with their own original story and attractions that can act as a framework upon which guests can apply their own imagined story.
                    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

Comment

Originally posted by BiggestDisneyFan View Post
                      The target audience for this was obviously meant to be the financial industry and current/potential investors, not Disney fans. Not saying that makes it any better, just saying that he was speaking business lingo for a reason. It seems like that's more his forte than marketing or PR speak.

Speaking of the Financial Industry, Investors, and Disney Fans/General Paying Public .............

Who's the main source of income???

No matter how clever he thinks he is .... It's OBVIOUS who he has to answer first.

But the problem is he's being a bit too smug to acknowledge who he needs to listen to.

MY SIGNATURE:
                      Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

Bob himself confirm (from This video ),how he thinks.......
                        Disney's management culture is, and has been since Eisner's day
                        and Thoughts, opinions and years of experience of others ,

are falling on deaf ears at Disney
                        The only
                        imagination that
                        Bob Chapek from Consumer Products, have is

MONEY ,money and $ "MORE MONEY" $
                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

justifies every concern, every fear.
                          Your Right my Friend......
                          This Man (Bob Chapek )does not have clue.......about Walt Disney
                          But is worst......""HE DOES NOT CARE"" !
                          There should be
                          concern, and fear.........about a person who brags ,justifies
                          himself............He truly anti-Walt.

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Eagleman View Post

Your Right my Friend......
                            This Man (Bob Chapek )does not have clue.......about Walt Disney
                            But is worst......""HE DOES NOT CARE"" !
                            There should be
                            concern, and fear.........about a person who brags ,justifies
                            himself............He truly anti-Walt.
                            Yes, and one other thing I caught in the video now is how he makes a few references to the "tremendous investment" for Star Wars land, saying it really isn't justified anywhere else. People should remember that SW:GE was greenlighted by Tom Staggs. Something like this would have never been built under Chapek and nothing like it (on the scale or scope) will ever be built under Chapek.

His raw sense of contempt for creativity and his pathological cheapness really comes through in the clip.

You can see how awkward he is in this video, he is truly overwhelmed, deep inside knowing he could never conceive of such a thing, its why he always falls back on so many tired cliches and pedantic boasting.

Watch closely and you can see how he is really trying to put it all together in his head, thinking "how could have they spent so much money" "Where can I begin to cut???"

The oft repeated joke about Chapek and his internal monologue of "can we cut it?" really is obvious here.

Stories of his absurd plan to use CMs as living puppets to cut costs, because the Droids that were originally planned were too expensive. Comparing SW:GE and Carsland (Staggs, Lasseter) to actual projects Chapek conceived of GotG:MB, Pixar Pier, "Marvelland", and you really see the chintzy level Chapek operates on.

Comment

Something Chapek completely misses the mark on is the need to develop new IP in order to keep the parks relevant and successful. With his current approach, the film studios are the ones bearing that burden- it places the parks at the mercy of what the film division does. This inherently prevents the creation of timeless experiences that allow the parks to operate as their own identity.

Take Star Wars for example- this new land is at least somewhat dependent on Star Wars's continued popularity- even more so since it's based on Disney's divisive trilogy, not the timeless classics that defined the series. Or Cars Land, which features the three most uninspired attractions I've seen, the whole land's sole purpose is to hawk toys at children in the most beautiful way possible. Once children move on to another franchise, the land will become instantly irrelevant. These two lands will require frequent updating to adapt to the public's ever changing interests.

Compare this to New Orleans Square- a land designed by Walt Disney and his talented staff of designers, that features two attractions that have defined themed entertainment for half a century. Really, Galaxy's Edge is just a larger, more spread out, and far more uninspired version of what NOS was in the '70s. While one land has stood the test of time and will (hopefully) never need it's attractions to be replaced- Smuggler's Run promises to be irrelevant within a decade, and Rise of the Resistance will only be meaningful as long as the public has any interest in the Sequel era of films.

Chapek is right- it's important the public experiences places and settings they want to go, and feel a connection with the properties used- he just misses the mark on where those properties need to come from.

Comment

Originally posted by ajburk97 View Post
                                Something Chapek completely misses the mark on is the need to develop new IP in order to keep the parks relevant and successful. With his current approach, the film studios are the ones bearing that burden- it places the parks at the mercy of what the film division does. This inherently prevents the creation of timeless experiences that allow the parks to operate as their own identity.

Take Star Wars for example- this new land is at least somewhat dependent on Star Wars's continued popularity- even more so since it's based on Disney's divisive trilogy, not the timeless classics that defined the series. Or Cars Land, which features the three most uninspired attractions I've seen, the whole land's sole purpose is to hawk toys at children in the most beautiful way possible. Once children move on to another franchise, the land will become instantly irrelevant. These two lands will require frequent updating to adapt to the public's ever changing interests.

Compare this to New Orleans Square- a land designed by Walt Disney and his talented staff of designers, that features two attractions that have defined themed entertainment for half a century. Really, Galaxy's Edge is just a larger, more spread out, and far more uninspired version of what NOS was in the '70s. While one land has stood the test of time and will (hopefully) never need it's attractions to be replaced- Smuggler's Run promises to be irrelevant within a decade, and Rise of the Resistance will only be meaningful as long as the public has any interest in the Sequel era of films.

Chapek is right- it's important the public experiences places and settings they want to go, and feel a connection with the properties used- he just misses the mark on where those properties need to come from.
                                Of course Smugglers Run will be irrelevant in a decade. This generation just doesn't know any better and doesn't have the attention span or the originality.
                                For a decade we've seen year after year of remakes and reboots of films from the 70s and 80s. Today I read an article about the "top 10 scary movies for 2020," and 8 of them were reboots/reimaginings of films from the past 20 years, including Saw (which has like 10 sequels) and Friday the 13th (which got another reboot ten years ago). And now you have trailers for trailers!

Pathetic.

Comment

You can see how awkward he is in this video, he is truly overwhelmed, deep inside knowing he could never conceive of such a thing, its why he always falls back on so many tired cliches and pedantic boasting.

Watch closely and you can see how he is really trying to put it all together in his head, thinking "how could have they spent so much money" "Where can I begin to cut???"

The oft repeated joke about Chapek and his internal monologue of "can we cut it?" really is obvious here.
                                  BOB CHEAPEK
                                  We have been WARN, We have WARN others....Now from his own month........
                                  pedantic boasting.
                                  This Guy is Disney Bad News......
                                  Hope in this Company.........in now in the ground......

He truly anti-Walt.
                                  Long with IGER ,overpay CEO..........
                                  MONEY ,money and $"MORE MONEY"$

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Stories of his absurd plan to use CMs as living puppets to cut costs, because the Droids that were originally planned were too expensive. Comparing SW:GE and Carsland (Staggs, Lasseter) to actual projects Chapek conceived of GotG:MB, Pixar Pier, "Marvelland", and you really see the chintzy level Chapek operates on.
                                    This is false. It's one thing to not like the guy, or not like the direction he is taking the parks (not that I think the direction has changed at all), but why make up stuff to prove your point? Why the pathological need to be proven correct?

For what it's worth, people here complained about Staggs just as much as Chapek. Nothing ever changes. And apparently it doesn't need to.

Comment

Originally posted by MrLiver View Post

This is false. It's one thing to not like the guy, or not like the direction he is taking the parks (not that I think the direction has changed at all), but why make up stuff to prove your point? Why the pathological need to be proven correct?

For what it's worth, people here complained about Staggs just as much as Chapek. Nothing ever changes. And apparently it doesn't need to.
                                      We can agree to disagree without it being personal, no investment in being correct or not, its not my story. it is a report. It was a story was posted here on MiceChat? One can take it or leave it of course. Regardless, it is hardly alone. Stories of his cheapness are LEGENDARY, both in the press and NUMEROUS discussion boards, MiceChat and beyond. CMs who have interacted with him have them by the zillions. Beyond that the evidence is right before our eyes.

The projects conceived under Chapek are reflections of his philosophy.

PixarPier is unbelievably chintz compared to something great like Carsland. GotG:MB was also incredibly cheap, on top of being a piece of Dada art. Marcel Duchamp would probably christen it a modern day version of "L.H.O.O.Q"

Chapek himself looks so overwhelmed when he talks about SW:GE, it seemly confuses him and he drones on about how it wouldn't work most places, the scale, the scope. He just doesn't have the inclination for building something imaginative and great. He is clearly uncomfortable by it. The interview is so awkward. He displays a mixture of smugness, awkwardness, and even a bit of underlying fear. Something like this just... isn't... him. He is perplexed at the vastness and complexity yet relieved he will never have to try and come up with something so immense.

One can almost hear his inner monologue looking at every ruffle and flourish in SW:GE whispering and wondering "can we cut it?" "will the customers notice, will they even care?" Watch over time as he slowly trims all the "extras" and all the special goodies and little bells, whistles and minute extras in GE and take a predictable "Chapek cheapout".

Staggs was a WORLD above Chapek, far from perfect, but he at least had vision for massive capital investment. Chapek, not so much. If Staggs hadn't been there, it is unlikely that GE would be anything on the scale it is today.

It is unlikely ANYTHING on the scale of SW:GE will be built under Chapek's watch and his "creative" leadership.

The best we can hope for is that the chintz projects Chapek conjures up will be small and easily swept away when a creative titan one day comes back to leadership.The danger is the damage Chapek can inflict on the many treasures of Disneyland. A philistine like Chapek is sort of like the kind of guy who would throw out a $50,000,000 Ming Dynasty vase for a trendy $25 one from Bed Bath and Beyond and not know the colossal difference in art, value, or heritage. He might even think he was being "cool", "trendy", or "irreverent".
                                      Last edited by Golden Zephyr; 06-02-2019, 07:04 PM.

Comment

"Chapek cheapout".

Staggs was a WORLD above Chapek, far from perfect, but he at least had vision for massive capital investment. Chapek, not so much. If Staggs hadn't been there, it is unlikely that GE would be anything on the scale it is today.
                                        Were Tom Staggs was pretty bad...........Bob "Plastic Sales Man "
                                        Chapek......is
                                        WORST!
                                        One does not have to look to far, for
                                        Darth Vader
                                        IMO

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

We can agree to disagree without it being personal, no investment in being correct or not, its not my story. it is a report.
                                          This isn't a matter of an opinion that we can just respect a difference of. You are stating, as fact, something that is unverified and, even just based on the report here, taken out of context. There is no way to know if the droids were cut as a budget concern or rather because of safety.

Stories of his cheapness are LEGENDARY, both in the press and NUMEROUS discussion boards, MiceChat and beyond. CMs who have interacted with him have them by the zillions. Beyond that the evidence is right before our eyes.

All I see from the press are stories like this:

​​​​
                                          https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...eme-parks.html

"Walt Disney Parks and Resorts had an operating profit of $4.5 billion, an increase of more than 100 percent from five years earlier. "

"Michael Nathanson, a longtime media analyst, estimates that Disney will spend $24 billion on new attractions, hotels and ships over the next five years. That’s more than Disney paid for Pixar, Marvel and Lucasfilm combined."
                                          ​​​​​
                                          “It can’t just be special — it has to be spectacular,” Bob Chapek, Disney’s theme park chairman, said

Mr. Chapek called the overall growth plan “enhancement on steroids.”

"Even so, Ms. Reif said she was pleased that Disney was spending so heavily on its parks. “It’s the highest return on investment that Disney has,” she said."

Chapek has spent more money, in his lowest spending year, as Staggs spent in his highest spending year. Every fact and figure shows that Disney is spending fabulously on their parks right now.

Unless someone on MiceChat posted some story about Chapek stiffing a tip to his waiter at Denny's, there's no reason to believe that he is cheap. Unless we want to venture into the New York Times being fake news... Which might just make this a fairly quick argument.

The projects conceived under Chapek are reflections of his philosophy.
                                          If you don't like the projects being conceived, maybe that's a problem with Imagineering or even with general shifts in the audience rather than Chapek. Chapek is spending money and investing, and people are buying the experiences. I think that has more to do with tour personal tastes than anything with Chapek.

Comment

Working...
                                          X