Get Away Today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobility Scooter

I am planning a trip with my adult daughter in honor of just getting her teaching credential and her first teaching job. I am very large with a minor heart condition. I'm just not up for a day walking around the parks. I have picked up a mobility scooter and plan to bring it. I would like to hear about other's experiences with scooters in the parks. Thanks.

I don't use a scooter myself, but my experience in seeing them in the parks is that they can be more difficult to navigate than strollers because the parks are so crowded. You may not be able to move more than a few inches at a time before the crowds ahead of you slow or stop. Then you will find people who are self-absorbed and don't think anything of cutting off your path of movement to the point where you have to hit your brakes or hit them. Sad to say, you will likely hit people despite your best efforts to prevent it.

Think about the most crowded environment you have ever been in, and then double it. This may be your experience in the park. It's up to you how much you are willing to accept in order to have this day with your daughter. If you choose to let things be and focus on having the best day you can, then you will have a great time. If you don't think you can handle the people and the lack of control and movement in the crowds, then you may need to think about how you can break up your time in the parks so that you spend less time in the walkways and more time in a fixed location, like a queue or restaurant.

Have a great time, and congratulations to your daughter. We will always need great teachers, and I'm sure your daughter will be one of the best!

Comment

Originally posted by UltimateSurvivor View Post
      I don't use a scooter myself, but my experience in seeing them in the parks is that they can be more difficult to navigate than strollers because the parks are so crowded. You may not be able to move more than a few inches at a time before the crowds ahead of you slow or stop. Then you will find people who are self-absorbed and don't think anything of cutting off your path of movement to the point where you have to hit your brakes or hit them. Sad to say, you will likely hit people despite your best efforts to prevent it.

Think about the most crowded environment you have ever been in, and then double it. This may be your experience in the park. It's up to you how much you are willing to accept in order to have this day with your daughter. If you choose to let things be and focus on having the best day you can, then you will have a great time. If you don't think you can handle the people and the lack of control and movement in the crowds, then you may need to think about how you can break up your time in the parks so that you spend less time in the walkways and more time in a fixed location, like a queue or restaurant.

Have a great time, and congratulations to your daughter. We will always need great teachers, and I'm sure your daughter will be one of the best!
      I feel the same.....I also want say,
      congratulations to your daughter
      I WISH the BEST on your trip !
      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

You will find that the lines at California Adventure can probably accommodate your scooter, but many of the lines at Disneyland cannot.
        Build plenty of "downtime" while still doing something Disney-themed. Watch the Dapper Dans or listen to the piano player outside Coke Corner. Watch a show (the one in the Princess area is great). Tuck away by the wishing well to the right of the castle or the dancing fountains to the left of the entrance to Tomorrowland. Ride the train all the way around. Conserve your strength while also doing something fun/different/interesting.
        Disney is better than other theme parks at accommodating larger guests. I think I heard somewhere that they even have seatbelt extenders - but I've never tested that myself and don't count on just my say-so. Consider calling Disney in advance to ask.
        I hope you have a great trip, and congratulations to your daughter!

Comment

On Tuesday, we were with my parents in the parks with 2 scooters. We had zero problems getting around. Big Thunder and Soarin’ are very easy to use with scooters, as you can get very close to your ride vehicle, or seat, as with Soarin’. On Jungle Cruise, you can roll right up to the boat, or have the option to stay in your ECV on the ride! At the exit of Pirates, they will issue you a return time to come
          back and ride. You will find many websites with tips on how to have a great day in the parks using a scooter. Any questions, feel free to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Chadanooga View Post
            On Tuesday, we were with my parents in the parks with 2 scooters. We had zero problems getting around. Big Thunder and Soarin’ are very easy to use with scooters, as you can get very close to your ride vehicle, or seat, as with Soarin’. On Jungle Cruise, you can roll right up to the boat, or have the option to stay in your ECV on the ride! At the exit of Pirates, they will issue you a return time to come
            back and ride. You will find many websites with tips on how to have a great day in the parks using a scooter. Any questions, feel free to ask.
            Did have any concerns about security of the scooter when left behind on rides?

Comment

We didn’t have security concerns for the scooter. Many rides have a dedicated space near the loading area to store the scooter. In most cases you are free to take the key with you. If the scooter is in the way, the Cast Members seem to know how to maneuver it, or reposition it short distances without the key.

Comment

OK, thanks. Now I need to get a carrier for my truck. It seems much easier than a ramp.

Comment

Congratulations to your daughter! Teachers are heroes, IMO.

Comment

We rented the scooters from a company in Anaheim. They were delivered to the hotel, for approximately $50 a day.

Comment

Working...
                    X