Get Away Today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Main Street Cinema is now a store

Hearing this via Instagram accounts. The Main Street Cinema is now a store, selling bubble wands and all the other repetitive merchandise also sold throughout the entire resort.

It appears the Cinema’s store is being called “Cartoons and Collectables,” although neither are being sold there. The current stock is, again bubble wands, and American flag gear.

How terribly disappointing.
    Last edited by mickeyboof; 06-14-2019, 09:52 AM.

Comment

No thanks.

https://twitter.com/epcatdork/status...185575936?s=21

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
      ~

Comment

Must.. avoid.. Litter Box..!

Screw it.

Seriously, that. What a joke.

Curious to see who will come in and defend this change as a positive one.
        First of all, the name's not "Zippy"! As a matter of fact, I don't believe I've ever met another bot named Zippy, so one can only assume that you came up with "Zippy" in reference to my speed, which may be technically accurate, but lacks a certain creativity!

Comment

Originally posted by Blurr View Post

I won't defend it but from a corporate aspect if you have to have someone inside as eyes on the building... may as well have them make some money. With Disney prices and Salaries they really only have to sell 1 item every couple of hours. LOL.

Comment

Sadly, it was only a matter of time after Cheapta$tic Chapek took over. No theming. No caring. No connection with Disneyland's history. Just jam generic merch into a Main Street landmark, shove in a cash register, and call it an upgrade.

From the article on WDW News Today:

PHOTOS: The Main Street Cinema at Disneyland Park Has Been Turned Into A Store

They seemingly held out as long as they could. While Walt Disney World’s Main Street Cinema was converted into a store all the way back in 1998, it seemed like Disneyland would never pull the trigger on the conversion of their 1955 staple. Well, under the Bob Chapek administration, you never say never.

That’s right, it happened. Disneyland’s Main Street Cinema is a shop.

While no damage has been done and it certainly looks reversible, this quiet and charming spot along the park’s entrance corridor is now filled with haphazard shelving and displays. The lighting is much brighter to provide for a shopping experience as opposed to a quick stop to watch a Mickey cartoon.

What really bothers me is that the Disneyland Resort has such little variation in their merchandise to begin with, so if a guest didn’t buy these items in another shop, I don’t see this making the conversion. I would dare say you can find these items in 50-75% of the existing shops, with Spirit Jerseys and colored ear headbands approaching 80-90% of other stores resort-wide. If you’re going to sacrifice some park history, at least give it a unique purpose, you know, something you absolutely needed the space for. Not this.

(The full article is at wdwnt dot com /photos-the-main-street-cinema-at-disneyland-park-has-been-turned-into-a-store/)

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
            it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
            together with every variety of recreation and fun,
            designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
            - Michael Eisner

Comment

Tasteless nice FU to Walt's work couldn't leave this little space alone? Adding this to the list of things I complain about when I go to city hall. As I have mentioned I complain about the bobsleds repeatedly when I go LOL now I will do the same about this but tactfully. not with the colorful metaphor I said here LOL
              These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
              My company had a special night at the park
              WdW trip report with WWoHP
              NYE 2011 trip report
              Mice Chat 7th anniversary
              Leap year 24 hour report
              New DCA trip report
              NYE 2012
              HKDL trip report

Comment

Bingo.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

Comment

Originally posted by zugzug15 View Post

I won't defend it but from a corporate aspect if you have to have someone inside as eyes on the building... may as well have them make some money. With Disney prices and Salaries they really only have to sell 1 item every couple of hours. LOL.
                  Even if I were to agree from a corporate standpoint there is a right way to do it and the wrong way. The way they did this is so horrible looking. They are obviously testing it out to see if anyone even complains. go complain about it people and do it a lot! In person not here on the forums.
                  These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                  My company had a special night at the park
                  WdW trip report with WWoHP
                  NYE 2011 trip report
                  Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                  Leap year 24 hour report
                  New DCA trip report
                  NYE 2012
                  HKDL trip report

Comment

Gross.

Comment

As fate would have it, this morning I actually created a Twitter account to complain about a separate issue. Looks like it will be getting much more use today than I thought. I tweeted directly at Disneyland and Iger about this, I would have included Chapek but looks like he doesn't have a Twitter account. I wonder why that could be?
                      First of all, the name's not "Zippy"! As a matter of fact, I don't believe I've ever met another bot named Zippy, so one can only assume that you came up with "Zippy" in reference to my speed, which may be technically accurate, but lacks a certain creativity!

Comment

The possibility of this happening was discussed in a thread last summer:

Main Street Cinema DARK - why?

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

Comment

This feels trashy and worse now typical (we all remember the previous little books in NOS). I gave credit for Adventureland store removal for seating and stroller parking, but this is two steps back. So when are the restrooms and City Hall going to set up shop?

Comment

Vulgar barbarians.
                            “I just want to leave you with this thought, that it's just been sort of a dress rehearsal, and we're just getting started. So if any of you start resting on your laurels, I mean just forget it, because...we are just getting started.” - What Walt Disney couldn't have realized then was that "Star Wars" and "laurels" are synonymous terms.

Star Wars Galaxy's Edge: Disneyland for iconoclasts

Disney Management Philistinism: making the Main Street Cinema into a tacky strip mall kiosk for overpriced merchandise

Comment

For anyone who thinks Chapek isn't Pressler 2.0 -- including being touted, like Paul, as a potential Disney CEO -- here's a excerpt from the 2011 thread, "The Paul Pressler Era: thoughts and discussions"...

...One of Paul's many strengths in Michael's view, besides being an expert in merchandising, is that he was unburdened by familiarity with the traditions of Disneyland. Walt put a non-functioning antique espresso machine on display in a New Orleans Square restaurant counter as atmospheric decor; Paul wanted it replaced with a generic juice machine that made money. Previous generations of Disneyland marketing executives favored exclusive, Disneyland-only merchandise; Paul imported truckloads of Disney Store merch for sale at Disneyland -- complete with the Disney Store price sticker still on the package, only partly covered by the smaller Disneyland price sticker.

Paul's philosophy was that every square foot of Disneyland had to earn its keep in profits. His tone-deafness to Walt-era concepts of show, entertainment and magic made him Michael's perfect choice to run not only Disney's flagship theme park, but to set the tone and philosophy for the rest of Disney's parks. In Disney's management hierarchy, Paul was the gold standard. The benchmark. The executive to emulate if you wanted to move up the ladder.

Paul is gone. But the core of his philosophy lives on in the One Disney and Disney Parks initiatives, in a Cast Member training regimen that is a ghost of its pre-Eisner self, in non-unique shops stuffed with generic merchandise, and in the appointment of Strategic Planning and Finance executives to head Disney theme parks.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

Comment

I hope that people will boo that jerk Chapek at D23. He won't have Marty Sklar there to give a non-sequitur defense to quiet the crowd this time.
                                “I just want to leave you with this thought, that it's just been sort of a dress rehearsal, and we're just getting started. So if any of you start resting on your laurels, I mean just forget it, because...we are just getting started.” - What Walt Disney couldn't have realized then was that "Star Wars" and "laurels" are synonymous terms.

Star Wars Galaxy's Edge: Disneyland for iconoclasts

Disney Management Philistinism: making the Main Street Cinema into a tacky strip mall kiosk for overpriced merchandise

Comment

Seriously, that. What a joke.
                                  If I'm not mistaken, deliberately trying to circumvent the word filter is grounds for a temporary ban. I'm not so sure that this obvious disregard for the forum rules is wise on your part, although I agree with the sentiment that this sucks massively. The Cinema is no longer a place where you can escape the heat and watch cartoons in the air conditioning for 15 minutes or so without being hassled by anyone, and that's too bad.
                                  Warriors, Giants, Sharks, Texans fan from the Bay Area.
                                  Annual visitor to Disneyland ('99, '04-08, '11-present)
                                  So so hyphy.

Comment

I tweeted... I don’t normally do that...

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
                                    ~

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoDubs View Post
                                      If I'm not mistaken, deliberately trying to circumvent the word filter is grounds for a temporary ban. I'm not so sure that this obvious disregard for the forum rules is wise on your part, although I agree with the sentiment that this sucks massively. The Cinema is no longer a place where you can escape the heat and watch cartoons in the air conditioning for 15 minutes or so without being hassled by anyone, and that's too bad.
                                      I am prepared to accept the consequences of my actions. I hold no illusions about what is probably going to happen to me. That said, I do not regret it. Even if I were to be banned permanently I would hope the folks swinging the hammer and my fellow Micechatters remember that I respect them fully and appreciate the conversations and time they've spent with me here.

Comment

Not defend, but certainly rationalize it. The Cinema has been a target for so long because we all know so few people go in there.

The problem is, it would make a horrible merchandise location because no one goes in there.

Since it looks very temporary, it could just be a test to see if traffic/sales increase. If they do, they might consider making it a permanent change. If it doesn't, it's easily reversed.

I'm sure we all have our own opinions on the cinema, but is it really worth keeping around if only a handful of people per day are visiting? Isn't that a rather selfish opinion to take?

Comment

Working...
                                        X