Announcement

Collapse
See more
See less

I *hate* Star Wars Land in Disneyland

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I *hate* Star Wars Land in Disneyland

    This is my own personal opinion.

    But I absolutely detest Star Wars Land. It is an infection on Walt's Disneyland that now will never go away. A stain. A cancer.

    Yes, I know Star Tours has been there for a long time, and for a long time this infection festered.

    I've said it before: Let Lucas go make his own theme park. Star Wars has no business in Disneyland. DCA, okay. Or one of the other parks in Florida. Avatar worked well where it is.

    But not in Disneyland!

  • #2
    At this point, It’s certainly the worst land in the park.

    If Rotr is mind-blowing, It could climb past Toon Town. But the way things have been going lately in Anaheim ,I’m not getting my hopes up.

    Having said that, it’s better than Hollywoodland!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Lighthope View Post
      This is my own personal opinion.

      But I absolutely detest Star Wars Land. It is an infection on Walt's Disneyland that now will never go away. A stain. A cancer.

      Yes, I know Star Tours has been there for a long time, and for a long time this infection festered.

      I've said it before: Let Lucas go make his own theme park. Star Wars has no business in Disneyland. DCA, okay. Or one of the other parks in Florida. Avatar worked well where it is.

      But not in Disneyland!
      Spot on.

      Anywhere but Disneyland.
      "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
      designed to appeal to everyone."

      - Walt Disney

      "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
      - Michael Eisner

      Comment


      • #4
        I'm speaking as someone who hasn't yet seen Galaxy's Edge, and to be honest, I really want to like it when I do see it. But my question for the folks who absolutely have been against the idea of a Star Wars land from day one, isn't it a good thing that it isn't proving to be popular? Although it will impact budgets in the near few years, won't it help encourage a change in attitude among the powers that be to perhaps veer away from such strong tie-ins to specific properties?
        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

        No matter where you go, there you are.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Lighthope View Post
          Yes, I know Star Tours has been there for a long time, and for a long time this infection festered.
          Long time is a bit of an understatement. Tours have been around for 32.5 years, meaning its been in Disneyland for about half of the park's age. I get GE is not popular, but it wasn't like Star Wars was just added yesterday.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by sbk1234 View Post
            I'm speaking as someone who hasn't yet seen Galaxy's Edge, and to be honest, I really want to like it when I do see it. But my question for the folks who absolutely have been against the idea of a Star Wars land from day one, isn't it a good thing that it isn't proving to be popular? Although it will impact budgets in the near few years, won't it help encourage a change in attitude among the powers that be to perhaps veer away from such strong tie-ins to specific properties?
            I think the downside to the public's perception of the Disneyland brand from having Star Wars Land inside the berm is much worse, short-term and long-term, than any lesson its under-performance might teach the powers that be.

            It's more likely that they'll repeat the decade of denial about DCA 1.0, while kicking the can of big-budget fixes down to the next generation(s) of executives.
            "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
            it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
            together with every variety of recreation and fun,
            designed to appeal to everyone."

            - Walt Disney

            "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
            - Michael Eisner

            Comment


            • #7
              Well-IGER Land is at Disneyland ,
              I was one , never like the concept of SW/GE
              and having the America River shorten , and Railroad tracks converted........
              Same token there many other's Issue going on with Disney Parks ,that I do not like.

              My Hope , is for New leadership in the company and the parks......
              Really that only thing I have left in Disney.......

              Soaring like an EAGLE !

              Comment


              • #8
                I’m amazed that people can still be having the exact same conversation that we’ve been having since 2015.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                  I think the downside to the public's perception of the Disneyland brand from having Star Wars Land inside the berm is much worse, short-term and long-term, than any lesson its under-performance might teach the powers that be.
                  Technically, it's outside the berm. If the Disneyland Railroad tracks are consider to be the original border, then technically Galaxy's Edge is outside the berm. The same could be said of Toontown. Critter Country, is oddly both in, out, and on the berm!


                  Originally posted by Co Foo View Post
                  I’m amazed that people can still be having the exact same conversation that we’ve been having since 2015.
                  I'm not going to lie, after I wrote my initial post in this thread, I thought 'Wait, didn't I write this post before?'

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I agree that the land does not belong in Disneyland. But, it could have been great. Unfortunately, It is COMPLETELY void of the charm, whimsy and wonder that, for me, every other land delivers on. It's absurd to me that, after spending 1.5 Billion, the land is so completely.... blah.

                    I couldn't have been more disappointed in the Smugglers Run ride. I did not enjoy it at all -- Star Tours is actually better by far. I was really bummed by this.

                    We have waited 25 YEARS for a new major E-Ticket at Disneyland, and this is the mess we got.

                    Universal is delivering superior experiences in Harry Potter world while Disneyland is slashing budgets and cutting corners; all while jacking up prices everywhere and gouging their customers.

                    My season pass is up next month and my wife and I will be taking a break for a while.. *sigh*

                    so disappointed.

                    Ryborg

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      "Gouging" the Customers ,is Today Disney Theme!
                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        It should of never been placed behind the old frontier. Iger should have put in Tomorrowland.. Demolish Autopia, Subs, Peoplemover tracks, Innovations,etc. Now we're stuck with it. Lets go to Frontierland & all go on the Mark Twain and get off Lukas Land. Oh sorry, there isn't a dock to get off there .....Yet?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I agree, it's WRONG for Disneyland.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I agree SW-GE has damaged Disneyland--including Disneyland's original philosophical concepts, its physical layout, and its founder's guiding principles--beyond repair.

                            This has nothing to do with whether you love or hate the land itself. The quality for me isn't the issue--it's the destruction of what the Park's original intent was. When New Orleans Square was added, it blended seamlessly with the rest of the entire Park. With SW-GE, it seems all the lessons the Imagineers learned, since even before 1955, went out the window.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Right Down Broadway View Post
                              I agree SW-GE has damaged Disneyland--including Disneyland's original philosophical concepts, its physical layout, and its founder's guiding principles--beyond repair.

                              This has nothing to do with whether you love or hate the land itself. The quality for me isn't the issue--it's the destruction of what the Park's original intent was. When New Orleans Square was added, it blended seamlessly with the rest of the entire Park. With SW-GE, it seems all the lessons the Imagineers learned, since even before 1955, went out the window.
                              Yep! You used to go to the park because it was impressive, it put on a good show, and THEY wanted to wow you!
                              Now, you're just a walking ATM. Increased prices, upcharges, decreased quality and portions, and shrinking the soul of the park.

                              Love that Disney thinks they can cut rides and shows out of GE because they think enough people will just go to the Cantina, spend money, and entertain themselves. Backfire!

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Nothing says "Happiest Place on Earth" better than walking through a drab, barren and oppressive land while being interrogated by StormTroopers carrying assault blasters.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  I love Star Wars Galaxy's edge in DL to me it feels like it has been there and didn't intrude on my love of DL.
                                  These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

                                  DL 55th BDAY trip report
                                  My company had a special night at the park
                                  WdW trip report with WWoHP
                                  NYE 2011 trip report
                                  Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                                  Leap year 24 hour report
                                  New DCA trip report
                                  NYE 2012
                                  HKDL trip report

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    I am not someone who believes that Star Wars has no place in Disneyland. I have loved Star Wars and spent a good portion of my career creating Star Wars (Lucasfilm, LucasArts, Industrial Light & Magic) and I am a lifelong Disneyland fanatic. I have no problem with the notion of a Star Wars themed land inside Disneyland...but that's not what we got.

                                    I mentioned this in another thread, but it bares repeating here.

                                    Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge is not a themed land like all the other sections of the park. It is a physical representation of one very specific location in the vast Star Wars universe that up until this point never existed in SW folklore. Each other section of the park has an overlying theme (adventure, frontier, fantasy, etc.) and several entertainment, dining, and shopping experiences that pertain to that theme. SW:GE is one particular location on one particular planet that nobody has any emotional attachment to as either a Star Wars fan or a Disney fan. And that is it's biggest problem.

                                    SW:GE should have been a land themed to Star Wars with many different types of adventures & experiences drawing upon the entirety of Star Wars, much like how Fantasyland draws upon the animated Disney film library of fantasy tales. Fantasyland should have been the model to follow, not Universal's Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

                                    Now Disney has painted themselves into a corner. In Fantasyland, if people don't care for Snow White then there's Pinocchio or Alice in Wonderland or Peter Pan or a number of other characters and storylines to choose from Fantasyland is a smorgasbord. Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, despite the hugeness of the SW franchise, has only one item on the menu. Not interested in Black Spire Outpost? Sorry, that's all we've got. Take it or leave it. And many people are deciding to leave it. What if several years down the road Disney wanted to bring in new adventures to Galaxy's Edge. It's not as easy as adding a new attraction to Fantasyland or Adventureland that has an all-encompassing theme. We're still stuck at Black Spire Outpost so anything new better fit in to that storyline and timeline.

                                    This is the main problem with Galaxy's Edge. The budget cuts and scaling back of experiences planned by WDI for this section of the park only accentuate the problem. They shine a spotlight on what the core issue is with SW:GE - that although the land is huge, the concept is small. Contrast it with Adventureland where from a pedestrian sense the land appears small and dense, yet from a storytelling sense it's enormous. Adventure awaits around every turn. Though hemmed in on the one walkway through the land, you still feel the vastness of the jungle. The whole land seems to be teeming with life. I'm not getting that from SW:GE.

                                    Maybe this will change when Rise of the Resistance opens (if they can get most of the kinks out) or if some of the dining and entertainment experiences that got cut are added back in. It'll be an improvement. Even so, in my opinion SW:GE suffers from shortsightedness.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      The problem is there's nothing to do back there! I have a 3 year old. What the hell am I supposed to take her to do in GE? Blow $100 to build a droid? No thanks. Cars Land has 2 rides we can go on as a family, characters to interact with, fun places to eat, vibrant atmosphere. GE has none of that. I've been once with my wife to GE, we did everything, and I'm good for life actually. When ROTR opens that will definitely a must do each trip but I will go through Critter Country and exit back through CC or make a bee-line straight to Fantasyland and not bother with the rest of the drab looking land. This is coming from a hardcore Star Wars Ep 4-6 fan too!
                                      Last edited by TCadillac; 08-16-2019, 10:57 AM.
                                      ...

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by C. Andrew Nelson View Post
                                        I am not someone who believes that Star Wars has no place in Disneyland. I have loved Star Wars and spent a good portion of my career creating Star Wars (Lucasfilm, LucasArts, Industrial Light & Magic) and I am a lifelong Disneyland fanatic. I have no problem with the notion of a Star Wars themed land inside Disneyland...but that's not what we got.

                                        I mentioned this in another thread, but it bares repeating here.

                                        Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge is not a themed land like all the other sections of the park. It is a physical representation of one very specific location in the vast Star Wars universe that up until this point never existed in SW folklore. Each other section of the park has an overlying theme (adventure, frontier, fantasy, etc.) and several entertainment, dining, and shopping experiences that pertain to that theme. SW:GE is one particular location on one particular planet that nobody has any emotional attachment to as either a Star Wars fan or a Disney fan. And that is it's biggest problem.

                                        SW:GE should have been a land themed to Star Wars with many different types of adventures & experiences drawing upon the entirety of Star Wars, much like how Fantasyland draws upon the animated Disney film library of fantasy tales. Fantasyland should have been the model to follow, not Universal's Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

                                        Now Disney has painted themselves into a corner. In Fantasyland, if people don't care for Snow White then there's Pinocchio or Alice in Wonderland or Peter Pan or a number of other characters and storylines to choose from Fantasyland is a smorgasbord. Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, despite the hugeness of the SW franchise, has only one item on the menu. Not interested in Black Spire Outpost? Sorry, that's all we've got. Take it or leave it. And many people are deciding to leave it. What if several years down the road Disney wanted to bring in new adventures to Galaxy's Edge. It's not as easy as adding a new attraction to Fantasyland or Adventureland that has an all-encompassing theme. We're still stuck at Black Spire Outpost so anything new better fit in to that storyline and timeline.

                                        This is the main problem with Galaxy's Edge. The budget cuts and scaling back of experiences planned by WDI for this section of the park only accentuate the problem. They shine a spotlight on what the core issue is with SW:GE - that although the land is huge, the concept is small. Contrast it with Adventureland where from a pedestrian sense the land appears small and dense, yet from a storytelling sense it's enormous. Adventure awaits around every turn. Though hemmed in on the one walkway through the land, you still feel the vastness of the jungle. The whole land seems to be teeming with life. I'm not getting that from SW:GE.

                                        Maybe this will change when Rise of the Resistance opens (if they can get most of the kinks out) or if some of the dining and entertainment experiences that got cut are added back in. It'll be an improvement. Even so, in my opinion SW:GE suffers from shortsightedness.
                                        Some incredible points here.

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X