Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] Is it just me or is dca worse now???

Hear me out, DCA 1.0 was horrible. We can all agree on this, but DCA 2.0 around 2012 felt like it finally had a direction, the park finally made sense. Now it feels like we are entering DCA 3.0 and it feels like a mess again. Random IPs thrown everywhere. A fortress tower over 1930s Hollywood. Random Marvel land. And it just feels like every new addition is pushing it further and further away from a cohesive park. It's starting to feel much like DCA 1.0 with a better budget. I love the Disneyland Resort but I'm starting to feel like they just throw whatever they can wherever they can in the California parks. I'm ready for the California parks to get something that isn't at another Disney park, I'm ready for DCA to get something not attached to an IP. Am I alone here?

I mostly agree, and would consider DCA ~2012-2014 to be "peak" DCA as a themed environment. Since then:
    -Paradise Pier got smeared into assorted Pixar ugliness
    -Soarin went global and lame
    -The Hollywood Tower Hotel was destroyed (to be clear, I love riding on GotG:MB, but I absolutely hate looking at it)

Not that 2012-2014 DCA was perfect (Paradise Pier lacked imagination, and Hollywoodland has always been a mess), but it's the best version of DCA that we've had.

All that said, I don't mind the notion of Marvel land. It's a random IP, sure, but so was a bug's life, and Marvel land has the potential to offer attactions that appeal to me AND my kid.

I think the notion of a truly unique addition is mostly one of the past. With so many global Disney resorts, it's hard to imagine a major addition not being duplicated somewhere else. I would argue that Cars Land remains a unique addition to CA, though its E-ticket borrows a ride system from Orlando, and its fun flat ride has since been sorta-cloned in Orlando.

Comment

Yes, I agree. It looked like it was going in the right direction just prior to the TOT and Pixar Pier make over (I actually preferred paradise pier). I think the entire California theme has been lost for good and will be a matter of time until they change the park's name....to maybe "Disney's IP Adventure"..

Comment

Disney California Adventure
        is no more than a other Amusement Park
        That being use a Marking tool and a Bill Board !
        imo
        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Very true. Its a marketing tool for their film business. Great for their films, really bad for the park.

Comment

Originally posted by tarheelalum View Post
            Very true. Its a marketing tool for their film business. Great for their films, really bad for the park.
            Guest is paying the high price for Admission ,
            for there Advertisement !....just a other amusement in my book ......
            Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

2012-14 were its peak years. DCA 1.0 was just garbage, and this new "Vision" they have for the park -- basically treating it like the attic where they shove every last thing into regardless of cohesiveness -- is headed that way as well. It may be more pretty and high-tech, but it still lacks vision and soul.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatAndoski View Post
                I mostly agree, and would consider DCA ~2012-2014 to be "peak" DCA as a themed environment. Since then:
                -Paradise Pier got smeared into assorted Pixar ugliness
                -Soarin went global and lame
                -The Hollywood Tower Hotel was destroyed (to be clear, I love riding on GotG:MB, but I absolutely hate looking at it)

Not that 2012-2014 DCA was perfect (Paradise Pier lacked imagination, and Hollywoodland has always been a mess), but it's the best version of DCA that we've had.

All that said, I don't mind the notion of Marvel land. It's a random IP, sure, but so was a bug's life, and Marvel land has the potential to offer attractions that appeal to me AND my kid.

I think the notion of a truly unique addition is mostly one of the past. With so many global Disney resorts, it's hard to imagine a major addition not being duplicated somewhere else. I would argue that Cars Land remains a unique addition to CA, though its E-ticket borrows a ride system from Orlando, and its fun flat ride has since been sorta-cloned in Orlando.
                Very much agree 2012-2015 (early) was perfect. Plus for a short season, we had a beautiful retheme consistent with the 1920's-30's, we had Soarin' over California, World of Color Celebrate! Aladdin, Tower of Terror. We also had nighttime entertainment, all of those things are gone now.

DCA is a mess now, nothing really makes sense now, it's just a jumble of various IPs and slipshod rethemeing.

See what Chapek has wrought, so much damage. Only he could destroy a coherent billion dollar retheme and rub salt into fans eyes with a visual grotesquerie instead.

Comment

I’m another agreeing opinion. They had finally started putting some charm and immersion into the park, which got me excited to spend time there. It’s tragic to see its good direction being lost.
                  http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                  http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                  http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

I loved showing off 2012-2014 DCA to out of town guests. We’d get there at rope drop and I’d get the RSR FPS while the wife would take them on TSMM. We’d meet at Soarin’ Over California and do that. Get FPs for TOT and check out Monsters Inc and the Animation building. When it came time for RSR we would enter Cars Land from the Pacific Warf for that great reveal. When it got hot we’d get those slushy drinks in Bugs Land and relax at Dot’s Puddle Park. Also great to do GRR when it got hot. Aladdin was always a must do. That always impressed them. Wandering the shops of Buena Vista Street would usually end our day. We can still do much of that, but it sure isn’t the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Zephyr View Post
                      Very much agree 2012-2015 (early) was perfect. Plus for a short season, we had a beautiful retheme consistent with the 1920's-30's, we had Soarin' over California, World of Color Celebrate! Aladdin, Tower of Terror. We also had nighttime entertainment, all of those things are gone now.
                      I actually said 2012-2014 in my post specifically becasue WoC Celebrate started in 2015 and was so unbearably, unforgivably awful .

Comment

Disney California Adventure
                        Was bad before Chapek...........Now it is worst
                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by GreatAndoski View Post

I actually said 2012-2014 in my post specifically becasue WoC Celebrate started in 2015 and was so unbearably, unforgivably awful .
                          To each their own. I found it endearing and enjoyed the tribute to Walt, Mickey Mouse, and Disneyland.

Comment

Only positive changes in DCA since 2015:
                            • Sunset Showcase theatre finally gets a better sign
                            • The food has gotten better
                            Literally everything else is a net negative. Avengers Campus is a gain, of course, but the Spiderman ride looks shoddy compared to what could have been, and a microbrewery? Like, thanks. I really can't wait to experience my favorite part of the Marvel universe: drinking beer /s.

Everyone knows how I feel about Pixar Pier, GotG, and Soarin'. All of the fans want old Soarin' Over California back, we could have repainted the pier and improved the games without turning everything into an IP, and GotG is still a worse theme than ToT (though the ride will always be fun).

Let's just turn everything into exposed brick and edison lights because that's what millennials love. Adhering to an architectural fad that's already 10 years old will definitely preserve the parks' timeless feel.

They really ruined DCA again, didn't they?

Comment

Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post
                              Only positive changes in DCA since 2015:
                              • Sunset Showcase theatre finally gets a better sign
                              • The food has gotten better
                              Literally everything else is a net negative. Avengers Campus is a gain, of course, but the Spiderman ride looks shoddy compared to what could have been, and a microbrewery? Like, thanks. I really can't wait to experience my favorite part of the Marvel universe: drinking beer /s.

Everyone knows how I feel about Pixar Pier, GotG, and Soarin'. All of the fans want old Soarin' Over California back, we could have repainted the pier and improved the games without turning everything into an IP, and GotG is still a worse theme than ToT (though the ride will always be fun).

Let's just turn everything into exposed brick and edison lights because that's what millennials love. Adhering to an architectural fad that's already 10 years old will definitely preserve the parks' timeless feel.

They really ruined DCA again, didn't they?
                              Yes they did, by almost every objective measure. Honestly it's a real tragedy too because it was money spent undoing the fantastic work that was just done. Chapek so eager to put his stamp on the parks to prove his "bona fides" and his "Midas touch".

I mean spending more money to undo the billions just spent a few years before is unconscionable.

Comment

I visted DCA yesterday for the first time in about 3 years.

I really don't know what the theme is anymore. I was in there for just under 4 hours, rode everything once or twice, and even ate. Done.

But Pixar makes no sense. Carsland does as it reflects CA. The pier was fine the way it was, it did not need to have cartoons added.

A slight breeze was blowing so of course, Golden Zephyr was down, just like the old days.

I don't know what the hell they did to the Tower of Terror.

WIth that ride, and all others, I know the employees don't give a crap about the park either. There attitudes show it all. Conversations amongst each other were more important. I am not asking you to talk to me, but at least acknowledge people are there. I know it sucks to say 1000s a time a day, "pull up on the yellow tag", but you volunteered to do this.

ToT or whatever it is called, the employees just don't seem to have fun anymore on that ride.

I could go on, but my impression, except for Carsland, is the park sucks again.

"And yes, we implore EVERYBODY to follow the park rules. Having off-ride footage is great, but any still photo's or video's taken ON the coasters at SFMM are strictly against the rules. They are there for your (and everybody's) safety." "Six Flags doesn't allow ANY loose articles on their coasters, and they don't allow video taping on their coasters. " BUT, "​ This is not true. Six Flags does not allow ANY On-Ride video or pictures on the rides. The ONLY way is if you get explicit permission from Park Management." ???

Comment

DCA is my daughter's park. She grew up with DCA, the nostalga aspect being so strong here. She loves Disneyland too, but she remembers moments in Bug's Land, getting wet at Dot's play area, then getting on Heimlich's Chew-Chew...and having driven her to the Parks, it's become a bit sentimental to me as well. I definitely understand the sentiments of everyone's posts...when we visit DCA, we tend to stick to the familiar portions of the park, and we plan to pretty much not go to the Marvel portion, but maybe to look and strolll through...
                                  I am old. But still love Disneyland.

Comment

I think all was improving from my first time visiting the park in 2013 until about 3 years ago then it seems the decision where either moot or not very exciting. The removal of Bugs Land was a bit of a bummer even though the land is now too kiddie-esque for my children they really enjoyed it when they 5-7 and its a bummer that lil ones no longer really have a space that they can share the whole experience with their entire family. It was one of the few places where Grandparents and toddlers could all enjoy an entire land together. I viewed it as DCA's Fantasyland. PP layover is meh GotG I personally like better but I know that its not always the sentiment of many guests. Frozen in place of Aladdin I think was a good idea but Aladdin was a better production. I do agree there used to be a better feel of transition and uniqueness to each "land" that now seems lost which is odd when consider much of the transitional areas have nit been changed.
                                    Disneyland Fan since the 70's

Comment

If they stay on this track, it'll be little more than "DTD+" soon. Yay.

Comment

Disney just has too many ignorant and incompetent people making foolish creative decisions.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X