X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Dream Becomes Reality for Ray Bradbury

A Dream Becomes Reality for Ray Bradbury

11/20/2007

October 31 was a night to remember for Ray Bradbury, the man who has been known as "the Father of Halloween" by Tony Baxter, senior vice president, Walt Disney Imagineering. Ray Bradbury, 87, the legendary author and recent recipient of the 2007 Pulitzer Prize Special Citation award, experienced his personal dream come true on Halloween night ? the lighting of his very own Halloween Tree at Disneyland Park.

"This is the 35th anniversary of Ray Bradbury's novel, The Halloween Tree," Tony said, "It is very exciting to have this stately oak dedicated to him at Disneyland for children to come and see for years to come. Ray is one of the greatest supporters of Disney and what better way to honor him for all his accomplishments than to make him feel part of the family."

Ray enjoyed a celebratory dinner at Club 33 with friends, family, Imagineers and Cast Members where he reminisced about his longtime friendship with Walt Disney and told stories about their collaborations on projects like Spaceship Earth for Epcot among others. The dinner was followed by a special ceremony in Frontierland where Ray pulled the switch that signaled the lighting of the living Halloween Tree that will be a permanent part of Disneyland Park.

And when he did, he raised his hands toward the tree and exclaimed, "I know that the ghost of Walt Disney is blessing me, right this very moment! To have my tree planted and lit in your midst makes this one of the greatest nights in my life."

Ray often proclaims that Halloween is his favorite holiday. He said that 35 years ago after he wrote The Halloween Tree, a strange thing had begun to happen.

"We discovered that there were Halloween trees being displayed in front yards all over," Ray said. "I didn't know that I was going to become a part of history, but perhaps a hundred years from now, there will be Halloween trees all across the country."

For Tim Delaney, vice president and executive designer, Walt Disney Imagineering, the evening was one he will never forget.

"Ray's passion for The Halloween Tree, and, that he has created this amazing icon for this special holiday, would normally be enough for most people, but his dream is now fulfilled with the lighting of the tree in Disneyland," Tim said.

"It's also very special for all of us who work for the company and observe The Year of a Million Dreams celebration. When I saw Ray's face when he threw the switch, I saw firsthand the true meaning of seeing someone's dream come true. I know I will not see the other 999,999 other dreams, but the one I did see happen was the most special."

Ray Bradbury recently received the 2007 Pulitzer Prize Special Citation award for his distinguished career as an unmatched author of science fiction and fantasy. Bradbury wrote and narrated a feature-length animated version of The Halloween Tree for television, for which he won an Emmy Award. His best-known and beloved books include Something Wicked This Way Comes, The Martian Chronicles, The Illustrated Man, and Fahrenheit 451.

Man this is so cool! I was there on Halloween too. A friend of mine that works for the Disney just sent this to me. Anyone have any idea where the Halloween Tree is in Frontierland?
    "Why do you wear that stupid bunny suit?"-Donnie.... "Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?"-Frank the Bunny.....

Re: A Dream Becomes Reality for Ray Bradbury

That must have been the tree out in front of Big Thunder Ranch. I was noticing it had all these multi-colored lights on it for no apparent reason. That must be it.

Comment

That is truly wonderful. Ray is such a fantastic author. I had heard that this was going to happen a day or two in advance (and that Tony Baxter was integral in making it happen), but this is the first I've heard about it since the actual event took place. Thanks for sharing. Way cool.

Comment

That was an amazing night. Below is my crappeh phone cam picture of Ray lighting the tree.

Comment

Wow, I thought Ray Bradbury died, I most of been way wrong

Comment

Maybe you're thinking of Isaac Asimov - Ray Bradbury is one of my favorite authors, so I'm glad to know this news item!

Comment

That is so cool .

Comment

Very cool! Composerboy, how great that you got a picture, even if it is a phone cam pic, you still captured the moment! Thanks for sharing the picture with us!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Originally posted by AGhostFromThePast
                all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Comment

wow vary cool! thanks for the news!

Comment

This is wonderful news! Great news! I love his writings, and all his works. What a nice thing for disney to do! Good for them! How did you find out about this?
                    "I could never convince the financiers that Disneyland was feasible, because dreams offer too little collateral."
                    --- Walt Disney

:yea: Member of MiceChat Gold!

:thumbup: Lover of the Haunted Mansion and
                    Nightmare Before Christmas

:captain: Dreaming of Pirates!

Still waiting to go to my first meet

sigpic

Comment

That is just awesome. I love Bradbury.
                      xo, Deanna

Comment

That is one of the most awesomest things ever. I was lucky enough to listen to him speak at my cousin's graduation and it was like.... amazing. The stories this man has are just incredible. He has so much on Walt too. An amazing man. I wish I could have been there.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                        http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Oh man that's so neat. In addition to loving his books I've seen him speak a few times just in local (Socal) libraries and he's a great speaker. This is a really neat thing to happen, thanks for posting it!

Comment

Thanks Composerboy that's awesome to see a pic of it. Bradbury is such a great guy. Now I just need to go check it out myself.
                            "Why do you wear that stupid bunny suit?"-Donnie.... "Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?"-Frank the Bunny.....

Comment

This is SO cool! I love his work and I read The Halloween Tree every few years as part of the season's festivities. Thanks so much, Rick, for sharing the news and many thanks to the very lucky composerboy for the photo.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X