Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HiddenMickey87 View Post

So people are just... silent in general?

You may want to re-read my statement and try again.
    Wasn’t referring to you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yamamoto364 View Post

Wasn’t referring to you.
      I know, but whichever person you're referring to, I'm willing to bet that they can back up their statements. I may be wrong, but I don't see any critics hiding or selectively replying to only a few people or a few threads.

Comment

Not a true comparison. Guest spend per capita on merchandise and food is 4 times higher. The parks are much more profitable. And this is not due to price but the Japanese culture of getting small gifts for family, friends, and coworkers. Also it is the only major business for OLC compared to Disney who has to use money from its parks to assist in the revenue for a much larger corporation with areas that may not be in the black.
        But nonetheless, that's their choice. Disney can only get you at the gate, and while they assume you'll spend inside, it's your choice whether to buy or not. And to be fair, the merch out there is way better than here.

Comment

Not a true comparison. Guest spend per capita on merchandise and food is 4 times higher. The parks are much more profitable. And this is not due to price but the Japanese culture of getting small gifts for family, friends, and coworkers. Also it is the only major business for OLC compared to Disney who has to use money from its parks to assist in the revenue for a much larger corporation with areas that may not be in the black.
          This is disingenuous. The Walt Disney Company CHOOSES where to use & spend that money(Stock buy-backs? Bonuses? News Corp?) and last I checked, Walt was making movies and TV shows while still setting the standards for a damn great park. Modern Disney chose to throw out those standards in the 90s - OLC did not. I would also say that Disney would sell a TON more merchandise and food if it was of the same quality and selection as Tokyo Disney Resort. The differences between Tokyo Disney Resort and the Walt Disney World Resort should be shocking to any fan! I'm still not sure why this is so hard for some to understand - an outside company(a franchise) does a much better job at maintaining and operating Disney theme parks than Disney actually does. Quality still matters.

Comment

• Originally posted by SkippyXS View Post
            The 1-day ticket of Tokyo Disneyland is ¥7,400 yen. That's about $70 USD. The attractions, theming, aesthetic and overall experience of TDL is just extraordinary (look up Pooh's Honey Hunt on youtube) When you factor in the admission prices of the California parks, it's clear there's a different philosophy toward attractions and guest experience, and it comes from the very top.
            Exactly. The standards of the Oriental Land Company, owners and operators of Tokyo Disneyland, are far superior to those of Disney's domestic parks. OLC management respects their customers and strives to give them good value for their money over the long term, while TDA and TDO treat their customers as walking wallets to be emptied as quickly as possible. Disney management, of course, chalks up the success of TDL to "Japanese culture."

Originally posted by Supermatt70 View Post
            This is disingenuous. The Walt Disney Company CHOOSES where to use & spend that money(Stock buy-backs? Bonuses? News Corp?) and last I checked, Walt was making movies and TV shows while still setting the standards for a damn great park. Modern Disney chose to throw out those standards in the 90s - OLC did not. I would also say that Disney would sell a TON more merchandise and food if it was of the same quality and selection as Tokyo Disney Resort. The differences between Tokyo Disney Resort and the Walt Disney World Resort should be shocking to any fan! I'm still not sure why this is so hard for some to understand - an outside company(a franchise) does a much better job at maintaining and operating Disney theme parks than Disney actually does. Quality still matters.
            Bingo.
            "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
            it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
            together with every variety of recreation and fun,
            designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
            - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
            - Bob Chapek

Comment

• Originally posted by mr wiggins View Post

exactly. The standards of the oriental land company, owners and operators of tokyo disneyland, are far superior to those of disney's domestic parks. Olc management respects their customers and strives to give them good value for their money over the long term, while tda and tdo treat their customers as walking wallets to be emptied as quickly as possible. Disney management, of course, chalks up the success of tdl to "japanese culture."

bingo.
              Bingo x2
              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I know, but whichever person you're referring to, I'm willing to bet that they can back up their statements. I may be wrong, but I don't see any critics hiding or selectively replying to only a few people or a few threads.
                I am referring to Westsider who last exclaimed just that things weren’t looking good. And at the same moment reports everywhere else were very much different. There has been no backing of the statement.

Comment

I am referring to Westsider who last exclaimed just that things weren’t looking good. And at the same moment reports everywhere else were very much different. There has been no backing of the statement.
                  Yet another attempt to invalidate Westsider's longstanding credibility on this forum. Like the previous attempts, it won't fly. As has been stated before, read all his old posts. Note the dates. There have always been periods where he has not posted on the forum -- periods that have nothing to do with what's happening at DLR.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                  - Bob Chapek

Comment

Things aren't awesome in case you missed it the attraction is late. But hey if we're celebrating the 3rd opening date then yaaaaay!!!
                    These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                    My company had a special night at the park
                    WdW trip report with WWoHP
                    NYE 2011 trip report
                    Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                    Leap year 24 hour report
                    New DCA trip report
                    NYE 2012
                    HKDL trip report

Comment

Newsflash -- Things weren't looking good -- he was spot on and honest -- and I might say the only one reporting on the issues with ROTR. In all actuality -- the ride itself when it opens will nearly be a year late.

Since it's clear someone has an axe to grind with an "open and honest" cast member - how bout you spell out exactly what he wasn't "right" about?

I, and I am betting others here - are very appreciative for any cast member who - behind a mask of secrecy - tries to artfully share behind the scenes info from a perspective against the grain that everything Disney is all shiny, perfect, and full of and bright suns LOL!

I also concur with the posts that call out the embarrassing shabby maintenance work (or lack of) at the DLR. Theres no reason why o why effects, lighting, animatronics (there are exceptions) are not operating as they should be. No one in their right mind can say that service and cleanliness in the parks has not declined. I will say some of that decline can be blamed on generational changes where younger employees just don't have the passion or work ethic to do their jobs well. Then there's some of the older folks just flat out need to retire because they just do not have any magic left to give the guests. It seems the cash driven locales lights are always working but the attractions almost always have outages and show related issues...

Yeah, my family's combined yearly pass holder $2600 contract with Disney is a HELL of a lot of money. You are damn right I want the BEST experience I can get for that money and effort I might add. Those of you that can't correlate that some of our comments get increasingly hypercritical because our wallets are getting drained while they deliver an increasingly substandard experience. There's nothing PREMIUM about dead or dark scenes on attractions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Disneyidol View Post
                        Yeah, my family's combined yearly pass holder $2600 contract with Disney is a HELL of a lot of money. You are damn right I want the BEST experience I can get for that money and effort I might add. Those of you that can't correlate that some of our comments get increasingly hypercritical because our wallets are getting drained while they deliver an increasingly substandard experience. There's nothing PREMIUM about dead or dark scenes on attractions.
                        Spot on. There's something bizarrely anti-consumer about justifying a multi-billion-dollar corporation's shortchanging of its customers.

Originally posted by Disneyidol View Post
                        Since it's clear someone has an axe to grind with an "open and honest" cast member - how bout you spell out exactly what he wasn't "right" about?
                        An axe to grind is right. Out of his total of 22 posts to date, seven of them are about Westsider.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                        - Bob Chapek

Comment

As others have said, go back and look at his posting history, check the dates, and note the periods of inactivity. If anything is inaccurate, please share.

To be honest, it seems like every month there's someone new on here who, in the span of a few days, already not only has a bone to pick with a select few members, but seemingly knows what's been going on around this place in the time before they joined. If you want to praise GE, go for it, but I see a lot of agenda: this insistence on proving that GE is God's gift to green Earth. I can't comment on people's opinions on the land because they're allowed their opinion, but what's in this insistence that critics think otherwise, honestly, no one can really argue against the critics. That's what I see. They've got too much ammo on their side. Disney blew it with this one.

Not once have these questions been answered:

-Why do some people accept less while being charged more? Why don't people hold Disney to their standards and promises? Why do you not expect better from these former leaders in innovation, design, and artistry?

And also, once again, no one cares if the ride opens in January, and they have the right to be skeptical of a park that not only doesn't keep its promises, but requires six months (and counting) to replace a sign.

The ride is late.

GE has been scaled back.

Attendance was dismal.

Period.

If you still like it, you're welcome to your opinion. The rest are facts.

Comment

• I was referring to the last post he made. When in that case from the information on other sites and pictures posted at the same time he made the statement he was 100% wrong. I am not trying to devalue the other stuff he said before that. He was also referring to it not opening in January. So probably stop mentioning it’s already late, we already know that and it doesn’t relate to the topic of what he said.

Comment

• Originally posted by Disneyidol View Post

Newsflash -- Things weren't looking good -- he was spot on and honest -- and I might say the only one reporting on the issues with ROTR. In all actuality -- the ride itself when it opens will nearly be a year late.

I, and I am betting others here - are very appreciative for any cast member who - behind a mask of secrecy - tries to artfully share behind the scenes info from a perspective against the grain that everything Disney is all shiny, perfect, and full of and bright suns LOL!

I also concur with the posts that call out the embarrassing shabby maintenance work (or lack of) at the DLR. Theres no reason why o why effects, lighting, animatronics (there are exceptions) are not operating as they should be. No one in their right mind can say that service and cleanliness in the parks has not declined. I will say some of that decline can be blamed on generational changes where younger employees just don't have the passion or work ethic to do their jobs well. Then there's some of the older folks just flat out need to retire because they just do not have any magic left to give the guests. It seems the cash driven locales lights are always working but the attractions almost always have outages and show related issues...

If you don't feel like you're getting value for the money you are spending then that's something you need to make a decision on. It's unfortunate that Disney doesn't seem interested in upholding certain standards but there's not much we can do about it aside from not giving them money anymore. We can gripe on discussion boards but nothing seems to change so long as there are enough people who still feel like they are getting their money's worth. Disney is a soulless corporation that exists to make money for its shareholders. We can accept that and appreciate the good things they still offer or move on.

The only message they seem to understand is a fiscal one. This summer was an eye opener for them but their interpretation of the low attendance was that the marketing was the problem when we all know the product they unveiled was subpar. Now that fall crowds have returned and holiday crowds are on the way, it's likely that Disney sees no reason to change anything in terms of quality or originality. This is the Disney we have today and we can choose to go along with their chosen direction and enjoy what we can or be forever bitter about what once was and will never be again. Or we can just walk away and find joy somewhere else.

Comment

I was referring to the last post he made. When in that case from the information on other sites and pictures posted at the same time he made the statement he was 100% wrong. I am not trying to devalue the other stuff he said before that. He was also referring to it not opening in January. So probably stop mentioning it’s already late, we already know that and it doesn’t relate to the topic of what he said.
                                I don't recall what his last post was.. But is it safe to say so soon that it's "100% wrong?"

Comment

And also, once again, no one cares if the ride opens in January, and they have the right to be skeptical of a park that not only doesn't keep its promises, but requires six months (and counting) to replace a sign.
                                  I'm one of those in the camp who do not care that the ride is opening seven months late. I rather have a top-tier attraction take a bit more time to be built right than opened prematurely and the overall product feel unfinished (just like the SW:GE opening, ironically.) Test Track opened years late and once it finally did, I remember it blowing me away. An attraction opening late, in my opinion, doesn't equate to a testament of quality of said attraction.

However, I do agree with you that I don't understand how some people have a vendetta against Westsider when most of the information he provides is, if anything, insightful and just fun to discuss. He is, though, the only person to make such a bold statement about the supposed quality of ROTR, and it directly contradicts what other trusted insiders are saying on other boards. Just hoping his source isn't tainted, is all.

Comment

• John Boyega teasing ROTR.

Is that ride footage or a commercial? I can't tell.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4ahwdfp...d=hg0h7rggtz4o

Comment

• Like most American corporate titans these days, Disney Inc focuses primarily on shareholder value in the short term. Until the 1970s, corporations generally acted with customers, employees, and shareholders interests in equal regard. "...[I]n 1986, the Delaware Court of Chancery ruled that directors of the cosmetics company Revlon had to put the interests of shareholders first and accept the highest price offered for the company. As Lynn Stout has written, and the Delaware courts subsequently confirmed, the decision was a narrowly drawn exception to the business--judgment rule that only applies once a company has decided to put itself up for sale. But it has been widely-and mistakenly-used ever since as a legal rationale for the primacy of shareholder interests and the legitimacy of share-price maximization." This is called "shareholder capitalism" which started to really take hold in the 1980s. "The idea of loading up executives with stock options also dates to the transition to shareholder capitalism. The academic critique of managerial capitalism was that the lagging performance of big corporations was a manifestation of what economists call a "principal-agent" problem. In this case, the "principals" were the shareholders and their directors, and the misbehaving "agents" were the executives who were spending too much of their time, and the shareholder's money, worrying about employees, customers, and the community at large."

Disney Inc doesn't prioritize the guest experience because they feel they are beholden to shareholders first. Apparently the OLC doesn't see things quite the same way.

quoted from this very interesting article: https://prospect.org/economy/shareho...ism-came-town/

Comment

• Originally posted by MrGoat View Post
                                        ...Disney Inc doesn't prioritize the guest experience because they feel they are beholden to shareholders first. Apparently the OLC doesn't see things quite the same way.
                                        Exactly. What Disney management seems to forget in its focus on shareholder satisfaction is that their product is "guest experience." Giving the guest less while charging more diminishes the value of the product and, ultimately, the Company's value to the shareholders.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                        - Bob Chapek

Comment

• Originally posted by denyuntilcaught View Post
                                          ...However, I do agree with you that I don't understand how some people have a vendetta against Westsider when most of the information he provides is, if anything, insightful and just fun to discuss. He is, though, the only person to make such a bold statement about the supposed quality of ROTR, and it directly contradicts what other trusted insiders are saying on other boards. Just hoping his source isn't tainted, is all.
                                          I think that's entirely reasonable.

- Walt Disney

- Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                          - Bob Chapek

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X