Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you watch?

Do you watch on-ride videos before you experience a new ride? 20 years ago this wasn’t a consideration, and arguably made the first experience of a new ride better because of the unknown. Would Indy have lost a little of its “awe” upon opening if there were POV videos of it? Did Hagrids motorbikes suffer a little because of it?

I’ll admit I usually do watch. This is a product mainly of my location and only going to Disneyland once a year to use our DVC points. If I were an annual pass holder, I likely wouldn’t. IF, and I know that’s a big IF....if Rise of the Resistance is truly as good as some are saying/hoping, will you experience it without watching videos? I like to think I won’t, but next September is a long ways away and its going to be really hard not to.

I never have, doubt if I ever will.

The few excerpts I've seen of rides I have been on were not impressive at all. To me, there's a huge difference between an video and the actual ride.

Comment

I watched a video of Splash Mountain before I rode it for the first time. That was because I was afraid to ride the ride, because of the drop. Seeing the video, and discovering how cool the ride was inside, I watched the drop, and said to myself, "I can do that". It happens so fast. If I got scare, I was going to close my eyes. It does not take too long at all to get from the top to the bottom. When I rode the ride, I kept my eyes wide open, and it's now one of my favorite rides. More for the inside, than the drop at the end.
      BarbaraAnn

Comment

I don’t do a lot of traveling so I enjoy watching videos of parks and rides in far away places that I may never visit. Experiencing in person would be better but I can at least get a taste of unique attractions from around the world.
        I live in SoCal though so I don’t want to watch any footage of ROTR outside of official teasers and advertisements because I intend to go ride it myself next year after it opens.

Comment

I try my best to not spoil most of the things I'm about to experience for the first time. I used to do it all the time for rides, concerts, new travel destinations, etc., and while the anticipation was amazing, when I got there, I wish I hadn't done it.

I avoided videos before I went to WDW for the first time, and I'm so happy for the decision.

Comment

I usually try to avoid such spoilers. However, I will watch before I ride if I have some apprehension about the ride, or if it’s going to be a very long time until my next visit. True, it’s a spoiler, but nothing compares with actually being on the ride.
            http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
            http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
            http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

I usually don't, especially if I'm planning a visit. But I do watch videos of rides I don't think I'll be able to handle due to motion sickness.
              "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Comment

If it's convenient I will watch them, being local to DLR its rare that I do not get to ride new rides in the weeks after opening but I think I watched Indy before riding to see if my kids would like it. I have watched a bunch of rides from other parks that one day I hope to visit. I prefer not to spoiled for movies snd shows etc. but for rides it doesn't;t smile things for me it actually enhances it because to know what to look for and I don't miss things I otherwise might have.

Comment

Originally posted by sbk1234 View Post
                  I usually try to avoid such spoilers. However, I will watch before I ride if I have some apprehension about the ride, or if it’s going to be a very long time until my next visit. True, it’s a spoiler, but nothing compares with actually being on the ride.
                  Spoiler is not same ,than being on the ride itself-I agree
                  Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I watched every little detail on here for a year before I rode Radiator Springs Racers, now that I think about, it probably messed with my enjoyment of it a little. I might hold back on the actual on-ride stuff for ROR.
                    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
                    Mark Twain

Comment

I will
                      watch on-ride videos
                      of all the Disneyland's and Magic Kingdom Railroad ..........around theWorld
                      To see what they are like.......
                      For I enjoy a good Train Trip around the parks "Alboard"
                      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I'm an odd man out since the last time I went to DLR was 1993. I've never ridden Indy, seen the Hatbox Ghost, Pooh, or DCA. I live vicariously through Youtube. But I know that WHEN I get back to California I will head straight to those attractions to see them IRL.
                        Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

When I was little, 8 or so (this was 26ish years ago) I would watch VHS tapes of my uncles trips to Disney World. He would film his entire trip...every onride experience, every show, every parade and even the water parks. When I went for my first time, it didn’t really spoil anything for me...just got me more excited.

Comment

I have been thinking about this lately. As a west coaster, I purposely avoid Disneyland ride throughs because I would rather experience the actual ride for myself. However, outside of Disneyland I do generally watch the ride through, because the odds of me ever seeing these parks in the flesh is very small.

which brings about my question.
                            Could Disneyland use the current Star Tours ride vehicle's to preview the Tron coaster?
                            Would that be an attraction guests would be into?

I think I would enjoy it, being able to experience iconic Disney rides that are located around the world that I may never have the chance to see. The nice part would be that the ride could always be changed and refreshed.

Plus it's a cheap retrofit, perfectly aligning with the grand Cheapek plan!

Comment

For me, watching POVs doesn't really ruin the experience. Cameras can't really capture the experience of riding an attraction in person. You can't get the immersion of physical sets, you can't smell the water on Pirates nor the cookies on the Incredicoaster. You can't feel the roughness of Indy nor the drops of GOTG, and you'll be completely dry after watching a POV of Splash or Grizzly.

Comment

Watching
                                ' Soarin ' Over California...on the computer is cool
                                But still not same ,as being on the attraction it self !
                                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Nah. I wanna be surprised by a new ride.
                                  "Have I gone mad?"
                                  "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. "

Comment

Yes I have for me and my daughter. She conquered those rides she was a tad nervous of and it helped prepare her for the first time ride...I just like watching videos of rides, not only from Disneyland but from other amusement parks from all over the world, some that I’ll never visit, so I’m glad I’ll never visit...
                                    I am old. But still love Disneyland.

Comment

Videos are nearly useless anyways. It doesn't come close enough to showing what the actual experience is like IMO. The human eye is very different than the camera lens, etc. Especially if there are dark elements on a ride, it is just impossible to convey what the true ride experience is like. Not to mention all the other senses involved.

Comment

I never watch them at all. I find they just don't do anything for me. I don't mind spoilers but in the case of attractions there is nothing like actually enjoying it and being there. there is a reason I go on them so many times.
                                        These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                                        My company had a special night at the park
                                        WdW trip report with WWoHP
                                        NYE 2011 trip report
                                        Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                                        Leap year 24 hour report
                                        New DCA trip report
                                        NYE 2012
                                        HKDL trip report

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X