Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Iger's favorite ride at Disneyland . . . .

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iger's favorite ride at Disneyland . . . .

From Iger's recent live talk at the Alex theater in Glendale (which attended)
    https://deadline.com/2019/10/bob-ige...za-1202749843/

[Iger was asked] to identify his favorite ride at Disneyland: Pirates of the Caribbean. “It was the last attraction Walt (Disney) created; it opened after he died,” Iger said. “It still has an essence about it, a simplicity to it. Also sometimes it’s just dark and quiet.”
    It's interesting that his answer wasn't the ultra-ambitious, ultra-high tech attraction that he green lit [SW:ROTR]. Also, the article does not mention this, but because I was there, I can vouch for it: Iger did not mention SW:GE at all, nor say anything good about Lucasfilm under Disney. But he did manage to mention many nice things about Pixar and Marvel. Interesting...

A simplicity... is that why you guys IP'ed the hell out of it, Bob?

Comment

Originally posted by HiddenMickey87 View Post
      A simplicity... is that why you guys IP'ed the hell out of it, Bob?
      This made me chuckle.

Comment

Originally posted by WaltDisney'sAlec View Post

This made me chuckle.
        lol I just can't stand when these suits invoke Walt when it makes them look good or they can twist his words to suit their agenda... yet run the parks in a totally different direction than he did.

Anyhow, I'm glad he picked POTC. It's a great choice. I'm pretty sure that he enjoys it the 1 or 2 times he's in the parks every five years, on his own private "dark and quiet" boat reserved all for himself outside of opening hours.

Comment

And yet they don't make these kind of attractions anymore LOL He should budget and green light something of POTC scale before he leaves!
          These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
          My company had a special night at the park
          WdW trip report with WWoHP
          NYE 2011 trip report
          Mice Chat 7th anniversary
          Leap year 24 hour report
          New DCA trip report
          NYE 2012
          HKDL trip report

Comment

I figured it'd be SuperStar Limo............

Comment

Originally posted by micromind View Post
              I figured it'd be SuperStar Limo............
              I though it be DUMBO......the Flying Elephant
              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

IGER
                Must enjoy Pirates of the Caribbean
                For all the loot and treasure with macabre delight.
                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by HiddenMickey87 View Post
                  Anyhow, I'm glad he picked POTC. It's a great choice. I'm pretty sure that he enjoys it the 1 or 2 times he's in the parks every five years, on his own private "dark and quiet" boat reserved all for himself outside of opening hours.
                  To be fair, Iger is not the head of Disneyland or head of the parks. He's the head of a multi billion dollar company. He has bigger issues and things to do, than visit every single Disney park, for every single month of the year. This is the equivalent of saying that the Queen of England is not visiting Highclere Castle* enough.

Iger does attend any major PR events and openings that happen in the resort. So, it's not like he's hasn't stepped in the park for years.

*Highclere Castle is the estate that hosts the filming location of Downton Abbey.

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post

To be fair, Iger is not the head of Disneyland or head of the parks. He's the head of a multi billion dollar company. He has bigger issues and things to do, than visit every single Disney park, for every single month of the year. This is the equivalent of saying that the Queen of England is not visiting Highclere Castle* enough.

Iger does attend any major PR events and openings that happen in the resort. So, it's not like he's hasn't stepped in the park for years.

*Highclere Castle is the estate that hosts the filming location of Downton Abbey.
                    Perhaps if he did visit the parks as a basic standard guest with no special privileges, he could see how bad the overall experience has become and if he had an actual backbone, he would initiate plans to improve the experience and thus, increase profits.

The actual reality is that he would never stoop to such a thing..........

Comment

Perhaps if he did visit the parks as a basic standard guest with no special privileges, he could see how bad the overall experience has become and if he had an actual backbone, he would initiate plans to improve the experience and thus, increase profits.

Bingo. Fans like to defend Iger's involvement in the parks by saying he's not head of the parks. Riiiight. He's just the guy who hires park executives who have no experience running theme parks... then signs off on their plans to cut entertainment, slash staffing, and raise prices... and gets rewarded with a big bonus.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                      it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                      together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                      designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                      - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                      - Bob Chapek

Comment

Walt Disney .......would be line , talking to guest.....getting Ideals......"Listening"
                        How to improve the Experience of attractions and the park !
                        Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Bingo. Fans like to defend Iger's involvement in the parks by saying he's not head of the parks. Riiiight. He's just the guy who hires park executives who have no experience running theme parks... then signs off on their plans to cut entertainment, slash staffing, and raise prices... and gets rewarded with a big bonus.
                          Iger is the same person that hired Chapek and it appears he hires a new DLR head with ZERO experience ?

L O L

But this statement made by another poster takes the cake... To be fair, Iger is not the head of Disneyland or head of the parks. He's the head of a multi billion dollar company.”

So - Does this mean that when Steve Jobs was head of his billion dollar empire called Apple and even Pixar only cared about “corporate things”?

Sorry but Disney is exactly the corporation where it seriously matters that it’s C E O cares about details that built the brand. As you said it’s exactly what’s destroying the creative culture at Disney and the end user / the guest experience.

Comment

Iger is wrong. Pirates is not "the last attraction Walt created." Walt worked on the concepts and designs for quite a few things that opened after he died. He was involved with the concepts for the Haunted Mansion, all of the New Tomorrowland of 1967 (Peoplemover, Adventure thru Inner Space, Rocket Jets, etc.) and even was involved in concepts for Space Mountain as early as 1964.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
                              Iger is wrong. Pirates is not "the last attraction Walt created." Walt worked on the concepts and designs for quite a few things that opened after he died. He was involved with the concepts for the Haunted Mansion, all of the New Tomorrowland of 1967 (Peoplemover, Adventure thru Inner Space, Rocket Jets, etc.) and even was involved in concepts for Space Mountain as early as 1964.
                              You right...that Bingo........
                              Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Disneyidol View Post
                                Sorry but Disney is exactly the corporation where it seriously matters that it’s C E O cares about details that built the brand. As you said it’s exactly what’s destroying the creative culture at Disney and the end user / the guest experience.
                                For the record, I'm not Iger's cheerleader and I have criticized him in the past.

I will agree that:

1. Iger has shown to be less interested in the parks compared to Eisner, as only one park has opened under his tenure.

2. Iger did promote Chapek to Parks. It was his decision and you can blame Iger completely.

3. Iger is the one giving the greenlight for Chapek's proposal's (more on him in a moment) and determining if cuts or prices increases are needed.

However, the point in my original post, is that Iger is not running the parks. It's Chapek. And many of the recent gripes about the parks, are because of Chapek.

Or more to the point, who greenlit Galaxy's Edge?Iger. Who was the executive that oversaw the actual building of the project? Chapek

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Weaver View Post
                                  In addition, on what wound of being his last day of work, he heard about a project, that eventually developed into the Country Bears.

Comment

Originally posted by Spongeocto4 View Post
                                    For the record, I'm not Iger's cheerleader and I have criticized him in the past.

I will agree that:

1. Iger has shown to be less interested in the parks compared to Eisner, as only one park has opened under his tenure.

2. Iger did promote Chapek to Parks. It was his decision and you can blame Iger completely.

3. Iger is the one giving the greenlight for Chapek's proposal's (more on him in a moment) and determining if cuts or prices increases are needed.

However, the point in my original post, is that Iger is not running the parks. It's Chapek. And many of the recent gripes about the parks, are because of Chapek.

Or more to the point, who greenlit Galaxy's Edge?Iger. Who was the executive that oversaw the actual building of the project? Chapek

I understand your points, and I don't for a moment think you're an apologist for Iger.

My point is that everything Chapek does is with Iger's full knowledge and approval. Iger reviews work in progress and Iger gives notes -- his infamous "back-to-the-drawing-board" critique of the first version of World of Color is but one example.

Bottom line, Chapek was chosen by Iger because his skill set, business philosophy, and management style fit what Iger wants, in the same fashion and for the same reason that Pressler was chosen by Eisner.
                                    "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                    designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                    - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                    - Bob Chapek

Comment

I understand your points, and I don't for a moment think you're an apologist for Iger.

My point is that everything Chapek does is with Iger's full knowledge and approval. Iger reviews work in progress and Iger gives notes -- his infamous "back-to-the-drawing-board" critique of the first version of World of Color is but one example.

Bottom line, Chapek was chosen by Iger because his skill set, business philosophy, and management style fit what Iger wants, in the same fashion and for the same reason that Pressler was chosen by Eisner.
                                      There No mistake's
                                      Iger and
                                      Chapek both wash each other hands , what goes on in the Parks !

Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

If you’re the head honcho of anything, you should be knowledgeable about everything...that would include taking a view of what you’re head honcho of from the viewpoint of guests... not just wealthy guests or your trusted minions...you may not like what you’ll see or hear but that’s what you have created...hope Iger has a strong stomach...
                                        I am old. But still love Disneyland.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X