Get Away Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complete Disaster yesterday- "understaffed"

Before going to a show @ honda center, a friend and i decided to stop at downtown disney for dinner. We used the new walkway from the structure to downtown disney. As we got to what is usually the entrance...it was blocked off and we were taken a back way to go in over by disneyland hotel.

The line was INSANE. I went to ask someone why the other entrance wasnt open and he said "sorry we are understaffed tonight" and me, knowing its most likely not his problem, nicely asked..."you guys are understaffed on a weekend and on a night of the oogie boogie bash? REALLY" and he literally just shrugged and didnt know what to say. Took us about 40 min to get in downtown disney, once we were in there, the waits for the restaurants were over an hour so we left.

Being a passholder i was tryng to be super patient, but it sucks for the people who spent money on the bash, they had to wait a long time to get in. Its kind of unacceptable to me to be "understaffed' when its the weekend and they have this huge party. Not to mention, no one was regulating line cutters and people were about to lose it

Click image for larger version  Name:	disney2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	81.6 KB ID:	8604697Click image for larger version  Name:	dieny1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	60.2 KB ID:	8604698
    Attached Files

If what the CM said was true and they were actually understaffed it just points to more cost cutting measures. This one above all else disappoints me the most; not only does it mean workers are not getting money, but it also artificially makes the place feel busy. Very few things about the parks aggravate me more than when they under staff rides during "quiet" days leading to longer wait times when they could almost be a walk on. Been there in quiet May when they could have easily had both Matterhorn sides open but one was "mysteriously closed." It created a 30-40 minute wait on what could have been a 15-20 minute day.

Comment

Pay more-Get less -and get in line
      Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

DLR customers should remember that Chapek's staffing cutbacks are in addition to the standard "how low can we go" staffing numbers that Pressler mandated as a primary tool of improving profits. They've never returned to the pre-Eisner staffing standards.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
        it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
        together with every variety of recreation and fun,
        designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
        - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
        - Bob Chapek

Comment

Just going to Downtown Disney ?
          In my book....this kind of line is not worth going to eat and shop
          when there many others palace's one can go to.

This what happens when a place, is
          understaffed so the company can save Money!
          Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

911 will forever have a big effect on everyone's lives, and it was almost 20 years ago. Getting through secirity has become a nightmare at so many events, and so many places. My first visit to WDW was back in 1997, so there were no security lines. I remember attending ballgames, when my kids were young, and there was no hassle getting into the park. Customer service does not seem to be a priority anymore in businesses, and it is really sad. Makes one not want to give that business/company my business. Whether it be a store, or a larger place like a themepark. Seems like a no brainer to me to treat your cusomers well. However, I am beginninng to think companies. don't care. So many collect the money up front, and after that, they let every thing else slide. Too many do not care. Reading this, does not speak well of Disney. Not at all.
            BarbaraAnn

Comment

Originally posted by ANadventureTime View Post
              "you guys are understaffed on a weekend and on a night of the oogie boogie bash? REALLY?
              Fun fact, when they under schedule and then they have callouts, they cant really do anything if no one answers the phone to come in. Also, theres definitely a reason they allow early access for Oogie boogie guests. It's definitely the fault of the budget cuts left and right, but if you want to get the most out of the Oogie boogie party, show up early, you'll get the most out of those extra hours and you can get your wristbands inside the park at dca.

Comment

Here's what I don't get...

If you cut staffing especially in areas like security check-in, causing big lines and lots of back-up, yeah you may save a little, but how much potential revenue are you losing when people see these delays and turn around to leave?

That's paying customers you're turning away because you don't have enough staff on duty to process them. Maybe you're not getting more admission revenue from them because they're APs, but who knows how much they might have spent on merch and food?

This kind of thinking never works in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by C. Andrew Nelson View Post
                  Here's what I don't get...

If you cut staffing especially in areas like security check-in, causing big lines and lots of back-up, yeah you may save a little, but how much potential revenue are you losing when people see these delays and turn around to leave?

That's paying customers you're turning away because you don't have enough staff on duty to process them. Maybe you're not getting more admission revenue from them because they're APs, but who knows how much they might have spent on merch and food?

This kind of thinking never works in the long run.
                  You're exactly right but the problem is that the 2Bobs don't think in long run terms, they see only the immediate short-term.

If it impresses Wall street and the stock price goes up, I'll get a larger bonus.......nothing else matters.

Even worse, they both know they won't be around long enough to have to deal with the mess they created, when it turns around and begins to bite them, they'll leave it to the poor unlucky schmuck who replaces them. And they'll be laughing all the way to the bank.........

Comment

It may be understaffing caused by cuts. It may also be understaffing caused by people calling out. Unless you work for the company and can give accurate information, who knows at this point. I work customer service and while we do have staff, much of our employees are changing their availability on us as well as just not being able to show up for their shifts. Not only that, but we are also cutting costs here and there and that means less hours for people to work with customers. It's a lose-lose situation that is partly the companys' fault and partly the people who screw everyone else over from calling out or just not calling in at all and not showing up.

Comment

Why do people call in, and they don't want to go to work? Perhaps they do not like their job. Sounds like more and more people are expressing that fact. Working for Disney is not a desirable job anyymore. Where at one time it might have been. Security lines need to be covered, especially when there are special events, and at park openings in the park's day. Probably not a desirable job. Must be more desirable positions in the parks. I'd sure be miffed, if I traveled all the way from Chicago, and ended up in that line, in the pictures. Makes me glad, in some ways, all my Disney vacations, are probably all behind me.
                      BarbaraAnn

Comment

Originally posted by Barbaraann View Post
                        Why do people call in, and they don't want to go to work? Perhaps they do not like their job. Sounds like more and more people are expressing that fact. Working for Disney is not a desirable job anyymore. Where at one time it might have been. Security lines need to be covered, especially when there are special events, and at park openings in the park's day. Probably not a desirable job. Must be more desirable positions in the parks. I'd sure be miffed, if I traveled all the way from Chicago, and ended up in that line, in the pictures. Makes me glad, in some ways, all my Disney vacations, are probably all behind me.
                        Bingo Barbaraann this is a Chapek problem, pure and simple. He's the one who boasted endlessly about his efficiency. He's the one who cut the park to shreds.

People don't call out to places they enjoy.

To C. Andrew Nelson point, the most galling point about Chapek's hubris is that he seems to think that his "embarrassment of riches" in IP is so great, no matter what he does, no matter how low he goes, we'll all go crawling back for more.

you don't have a 40 minute backup near your already premium priced hotel ever, unless you have an astonishingly low view of your guests, which apparently Chapek does.

Comment

This novice is confused...you need to wait in line to get into Downtown Disney? Isn't it just like...a mall?... that you stroll into? That being said..(I wouldn't wait either)...in most businesses payroll tends to be the number one controllable expense. It's generally the first thing to cut before any other expense e.g.: you still need to buy paper bags to put merchandise into, but can you run the place with 4 people instead of 5? I'm sure there is so much more behind the scenes, and it just may be a poor choice from a mid level leader- who knows. Chapek is flying at 60K feet and the poor CM is in the trenches dealing with the people. They may not have the people to actually schedule...again, who knows...In my past experience, something that "looks busy" actually incites people to want it even more: Do you go to the restaurant that is packed or the one that never has anybody in it- so it could have been intentional to "build anticipation." All complete speculation, of course, and just my .02. During an event I personally would have stacked the decks...too many angry people (both guests and Cast Members) means too much bad press. I'm not sure anyone comes to work wanting to do a bad job, and hopefully, (and probably) DL has people that monitor sites like these to gain feedback.

Comment

The person at the top gets blamed, and they should. It's not good business to have a cranky guest, even before they enter the park. Business needs to be taken care of every step of the way. I expect perfection. Sure I know that that is probably asking for the impossible. However, I still expect it. If they can't get the security line running smoothly, then what else will come along to disappoint me. Doesn't start out a visitor/guest/customer on the right foot. Accountability, and it applies to the man/person on top, and everyone else on down.
                            BarbaraAnn

Comment

Did Chapek never read the Cast Member manual? "Your job is to create happiness."

Comment

How can they subject high paying Disneyland Hotel guests to the same 40+ minute security lines to enter downtown disney? I am surprised there is not a express line for Hotel Guests.

Comment

Thank you ANadventureTime for posting the photos with the trip report! As minor as it sounds, it helps us to understand how busy it got!

Originally posted by pure supercool View Post
                                  It may be understaffing caused by cuts. It may also be understaffing caused by people calling out. Unless you work for the company and can give accurate information, who knows at this point. I work customer service and while we do have staff, much of our employees are changing their availability on us as well as just not being able to show up for their shifts. Not only that, but we are also cutting costs here and there and that means less hours for people to work with customers. It's a lose-lose situation that is partly the companys' fault and partly the people who screw everyone else over from calling out or just not calling in at all and not showing up.
                                  Agreed. I work in retail, and there are days where call outs affect how unintentionally busy it gets. Call outs can be from illness/injury of worker or even if their young child has become sick.

How things are budgeted/scheduled is the another factor. If the callout worker was scheduled a short shift, then it thankfully doesn't affect the day. But if the employee had a long shift, then it will significantly affect the work.

And yes, if a bare minimum of workers are scheduled that day, callouts will cause the delays and crowds.

Originally posted by Bubu View Post
                                  This novice is confused...you need to wait in line to get into Downtown Disney? Isn't it just like...a mall?... that you stroll into?
                                  Disney moved the security checkpoints back last year. Instead of being next to La Brea Bakery, they were moved to the other entry points of Downtown Disney. This allows guests to travel easier from the parks to visit Downtown Disney, without having to go through security twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Bubu View Post
                                    This novice is confused...you need to wait in line to get into Downtown Disney? Isn't it just like...a mall?... that you stroll into?
                                    From Undercover Tourist:

"Disneyland Resort has increased the boundaries of the secure areas. When entering Downtown Disney from the parking lot or hotel, you will go through a bag check and metal detector. You may see police dogs working as well. Anything not allowed in Disneyland is not allowed in Downtown Disney — leave those selfie sticks and oversized strollers at home! You can freely wander from the Esplanade into Downtown Disney area and back. You are also allowed to bring any theme park rented wheelchairs or strollers with you. Note that to get your deposit back from a wheelchair or electric conveyance vehicle (ECV) rental, you’ll need to return it to the rental location near the park, but you can leave a rented stroller in Downtown Disney. The multiple security checkpoints usually result in shorter wait times, depending on when you've arrived."

Re the highlighted bit above -- Undercover Tourist posted the article on May 1, before Chapek began slashing the staffing numbers.

"Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                    it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                    together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                    designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                    - Michael Eisner

"It's very symbiotic."
                                    - Bob Chapek

Comment

We feel that the experience of the resort is being diminished by under staffing. It has been an issue over the past couple of years. I expect it to be worse this year with their goals not being met with SWGE. We actually just changed our New Years plans to go somewhere else. We had a 5 night stay booked at a good neighbor hotel. This is the first time ever I have felt this way about the way the parks are being ran. I don't feel like the company is being forth coming with their intentions to me as a guest. I have a lot of actual CMs who work at the parks and hearing their stories which are opposite of what is posted here by "CMs" is concerning to me. Cutting front line labor is always a huge mistake when it comes to putting on a good show. What is this Wal-Mart or Disneyland???
                                      These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                                      My company had a special night at the park
                                      WdW trip report with WWoHP
                                      NYE 2011 trip report
                                      Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                                      Leap year 24 hour report
                                      New DCA trip report
                                      NYE 2012
                                      HKDL trip report

Comment

Understaffing at security checkpoints should be a primary concern for Disney. The last thing you want is major crowding at the last possible area where unsavory or unstable people can cause harm. I am now concerned for my safety for when I visit Disney next and which security checkpoint I should use.

As for whether it was because staff was cut or because of a high amount of call-outs that day, either fall on the shoulders of personnel budgeting. If Disney had more people lined up to be on call that day, they could have appropriately staffed the checkpoints. let's not go into the fact that the resort has had trouble with labor retention in skilled labor jobs in recent years. In an era where Trader Joe's opens another checkout lane if more than 3 people are in line, surely Disney can do the same for a security checkpoint when that number gets to 15 or 20. This is ridiculous.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X